• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
5655.png

I've been replaying Fate of Atlantis (FoA from here on) and it's such an excellent experience.

Everything about it, really.

The gorgeous artwork, lovingly detailed and some of the finest pixel art you'll ever find.

giphy.gif

The clever, intricate game design and puzzles. The great variety of locations. The interesting post-war film pastiche of a story. The excellent voice acting. The stellar composition and music. It all really holds up today.

Also, if you want to get the best sound experience, seek out how to get Roland MT-32 emulation working with ScummVM, as the game supports MT-32 sound and it really makes a big difference over the regular FM soundtrack. It's quite strange to think of back in the day that people would rig up these big $600 synths to their PC to get the best soundtrack for PC games like FoA and Doom, but it's a cool and interesting thing that's much easier to do now.

Especially worthy of praise are Jane Jacobs as Sophia and Doug Lee as Indy. They both do really commendable jobs in their respective roles.

And it really creates a sense of adventure that is almost unmatched within anything else in that adventure genre. From Monte Carlo to Algiers to Iceland. Each feels alive in their own way and are so lovingly realized. It is an absolute masterpiece and hasn't aged a day since it was released, almost 27 years ago. Other than some pretty obscure solutions to puzzles.

There are even multiple paths that you can take throughout the game, so based on which of three routes you choose, large sections of the game will be very different. Lots of replay value there, in addition to certain events in the game which are randomly generated (well, not truly random, but rotate randomly between a set of options).

giphy.gif

It's a shame that it hasn't received an updated and enhanced edition like many of the other LucasArts games like Day of the Tentacle and the Monkey Island games, which are also brilliant (I think FoA surpasses them, but they're still some of my favorites). It is a sentimental favorite, as it was one of my favorite games growing up as a kid, but it really holds up today. It's on Steam and it's dirt cheap, but the GOG version is actually better because of the nature of the music emulation through ScummVM. Go play it! It really is a delight to rediscover.

Last edited:

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
It's because it's an undisputed masterpiece that we don't discuss it enough.

The real Indy4 and best graphic adventure of all time and naysayers can challenge me to a whip fight.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game. The real Indy 4. Was so much fun using the book to solve puzzles.

Also neat how the game flow and puzzles change depending on which route you pick (team, solo, action). I still never saw the fishing boat scene from the demo, I'm assuming it's the action route (though would it then have Sophia there, hmm).

Kovacs

Oct 27, 2017
The true Indy IV and not a Crystal Skull in sight.

It's very nearly the perfect adventure game and includes one of the all time great intros.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely one of my three favorite adventure games. Holds up really well, shame all the sequels got canned.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
The original Xbox game was fantastic too. Loved that. Forgot all about it until this thread.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It isn't discussed enough because is old and a masterpiece without question. Maybe we don't have have a remaster like Monkey Island or Full Throttle because of the IP.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
The talkie version of this game (and Star Trek: 25h Anniv/Judgement Rights) were two of the greatest and most amazing PC games back in the day.

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It isn't discussed enough because is old and a masterpiece without question
Fair enough, but I do almost feel like it's talked about less than Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and the rest of the original LucasArts titles. Maybe some slight stigma around licensed games. I also think it's pretty surprising that it doesn't get mentioned right up there with KOTOR in terms of the greatest licensed games. I definitely think it deserves it

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best point and click ever made and I mention that at every possible opportunity.

Game is one of the most ambitious p&c games ever too. Three distinct paths, and some puzzles have multiple solutions.

Also one of the first ever talkies - the game was rereleased on CD with full voice acting. Doug Lee is a great Indy, with a dry sarcastic wit.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Fair enough, but I do almost feel like it's talked about less than Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and the rest of the original LucasArts titles. Maybe some slight stigma around licensed games. I also think it's pretty surprising that it doesn't get mentioned right up there with KOTOR in terms of the greatest licensed games. I definitely think it deserves it

Back then it wasn't a licensed game. Star Wars and Indy were what Lucasarts made. Even back then it was considered to be one of their best games.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
Always one of my favourites as a kid. Up there with Monkey Island 2.

One of the few Lucasarts adventures where it's possible to die, if I remember correctly.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
They were working on at least two different "sequels" back then, one of which was pretty far along. Spear of Destiny, if I remember correctly.

Edit: Sorry, Iron Phoenix. There was also that fan adventure (Fountain of Youth) which looked pretty cool and was in development forever but never made it.

IIRC both Spear of Destiny and Iron Phoenix exist as comics, but obv wouldn't be the same. Guessing Hal Barwood wasn't involved in the adaptations.

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Back then it wasn't a licensed game. Star Wars and Indy were what Lucasarts made.
True enough. I guess when I say licensed game I really mean games based on films, which get a bad reputation today after the years of Wii60 shovelware.
Even back then it was considered to be one of their best games.
Yeah, I played it back in the day, although I was just a kid. Me and my brothers always saw it as the best LucasArts game, and I remember that being the general consensus among a lot of people who were into these types of games. It was a big hit at the time, too. Which is why it's a bit strange to me that it has almost been supplanted by Grim Fandango and MI 1-3 and DOTT retrospectively. Don't get me wrong, I love those games. But this one definitely deserves more attention.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Awesome game. I played it just as much as the other Lucas point 'n clicks as a kid, but it's the one I've revisited the least; I should really play it again sometime.

That intro sequence is still a nostalgia rush for me, down to stuff like the font used on the title cards, and Indiana Jones repeatedly falling on his ass is still the first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions the character:

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
Loved it. I had it in a pack with DoT, Sam and Max and Full Throttle I think? They need to remake this!

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
'Last Crusade' adventure game was the precursor for this and was also utterly brilliant. Two of the greatest adventure games made.

Lucas arts reached a pinnacle with
P n' C games - ironically just before the the genre died.

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So who also played Last Crusade?
Last Crusade was great too! It feels like an incubator for Fate of Atlantis, in retrospect. At the time LucasArts was just LucasFilm games. I haven't revisited it as much as FoA and I think it wasn't quite as refined (and I do miss the excellent voice acting) but no, it's definitely a great and worthy game too. It's a shame what happened to the franchise, both in terms of games and otherwise.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I still have the book with the hints somewhere in my house and even that was amazing: you had to use a torch or blue light to read it.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Lucas arts reached a pinnacle with
P n' C games - ironically just before the the genre died.

I'd say Thimbleweed Park has raised the bar since, at least in terms of the gameplay and framework, with the first significant evolution of the scumm-style layout since MI2/DOTT.

I still have the book with the hints somewhere in my house and even that was amazing: you had to use a torch or blue light to read it.

Lucas had the best anti-piracy stuff

louris

Oct 27, 2017
A masterpiece indeed. I would not like a remaster, I don't feel the Monkey Island remasters did the games justice. Maybe something with the AI HD thing that was in the other thread.

Also, OP, I feel FATE gets mentioned more often than poor old The Dig. Both are masterpieces in their genres, but imho The Dig takes the top but it has been lost for newer generations, maybe because it wasn't tied to a huge IP like Indiana Jones.
Original IP with a cooler setting, story, better atmosphere, and better pixel art. If you are in this thread and haven't played it, you owe it to yourself. I envy you you lucky bastards for what you have yet to experience. Just...look.

These are from multiple locals. FATE is also beautiful, but I feel it falls short in many places:

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
A masterpiece indeed. I would not like a remaster, I don't feel the Monkey Island remasters did the games justice. Maybe something with the AI HD thing that was in the other thread.

Also, OP, I feel FATE gets mentioned more often than poor old The Dig. Both are masterpieces in their genres, but imho The Dig takes the top. Original IP with a cooler setting, story, better atmosphere, and better pixel art. Just...look

The characters were lacking and some of the puzzles were a bit out there.

Though it has atmosphere second to none in the history of videogames.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Fate of Atlantis is such a great game, I love that all 3 of the paths offer different experiences on replay too.

Always thought The Dig was just kind of boring... great atmosphere but limited character interactions made it kind of a slog.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I would pay 60 US DOLLARS for an Esrgan-like enhanced remaster. Do you hear me Disney? This one and The Dig. Well, the full old Lucas old library!!

OP
OP
tulpa

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Also, OP, I feel FATE gets mentioned more often than poor old The Dig. Both are masterpieces in their genres, but imho The Dig takes the top but it has been lost for newer generations, maybe because it wasn't tied to a huge IP like Indiana Jones.
Original IP with a cooler setting, story, better atmosphere, and better pixel art. If you are in this thread and haven't played it, you owe it to yourself. I envy you you lucky bastards for what you have yet to experience. Just...look.

These are from multiple locals. FATE is also beautiful, but I feel it falls short in many places:
I do like The Dig a lot. I think some of the issues other people alluded to in this thread are valid, but I see your point with the artwork. They both have location design and artwork that is absolutely top-notch. Although I have no idea how people play with that horrible smoothing effect turned on

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Well those were more remakes, than remasters. And I agree that they fucked it up, I'd love if they did better more faithful remasters (probably won't). I'd buy those too. Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle remasters on the other hand were quite great.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Man, my father used to play these games a ton, I have a lot of memories of watching him play them, like before I had my own games to play. I really wonder how it stacks up to my memoriea of it...

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Well those were more remakes, than remasters. Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle remasters on the other hand were quite great.

disagree. they looked like they'd been vectorised and then had additionall detail added. sprites no longer look like they inhabit the same world as the backgrounds.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This was included with the Wii Indiana Jones game right? Maybe I should track that down.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
Its an incredible game, I'd say LucasArts/Lucasfilms finest. So good. Captuters what Indy is about. Sophia is a great character...wish they would made this into a movie.