• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People get less for murder. Life is too much, start with 10 years if you're trying to be harsh.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A life sentence for a 38 year old is a ridiculously extreme punishment. Might as well be the death penalty.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For a hoax? Yes, it is unusal in most countries to get a life sentance for a hoax, or making a threat. That's not a normal thing.
For one, it would've been disastrous as there were tons of hoax bomb scares in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 and I'm pretty sure we didn't go around throwing people into prison for life for it.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Damn that's an insane sentence. Dude didn't try to murder her, tho air safety is no joke. I guess they used him as a warning to all other fools

How he got caught

Magni

I was curious as to how they caught this guy, turns out he's as stupid as we all thought he was. The note was in the business class bathroom, and he was the only passenger to have used it (there were three passengers in business class). He had the note typed up in English on his laptop (he used Google translate to then handwrite it in Urdu). He had typed the letter while in his office, in front of a camera that recorded him typing it out. I would find it too stupid to be plausible if this were a movie.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Some in here are seemingly conveniently forgetting about how he frames Muslims as trying to hijack the plane. That could potentially cause so much mayhem, especially considering the tense situation between Pakistan and India, and how extremist Hindus in India treat Muslims in their midst.

....But of course, for some in here I guess that is not an important thing to think about, huh.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some in here are seemingly conveniently forget about how he frames Muslims as trying to hijack the plane. That could potentially cause so much mayhem, especially considering the tense situation between Pakistan and India, and how extremist Hindus in India treat Muslims in their midst.

....But of course, for some in here I guess that is not an important thing to think about, huh.
Not only that but he did all that shit to essentially force a "lover" into spending time with him. Shit sounds abusive as hell

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
He fucked up. Don't think he deserves life for it, but he definitely needs to do some serious jail time for doing something so incredibly stupid.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
You can't argue against it? The man got life in prison for writing a note. Granted, I see the point of a harsh sentence because it scared a lot of people and there would be a small chance that someone could have gotten hurt in the hysteria, but he didn't really hurt anyone.
All the context man. He used all the keywords to start a bunch of shit , it could have gone horribly wrong.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I was curious as to how they caught this guy, turns out he's as stupid as we all thought he was. The note was in the business class bathroom, and he was the only passenger to have used it (there were three passengers in business class). He had the note typed up in English on his laptop (he used Google translate to then handwrite it in Urdu). He had typed the letter while in his office, in front of a camera that recorded him typing it out. I would find it too stupid to be plausible if this were a movie.

Holy shit, just when I thought this story couldn't get any better you drop this on me. Like every part of that is so dumb I can't believe its real.
Types note in front of camera, saves on his laptop, puts in the bathroom no one of the THREE people used.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Some in here are seemingly conveniently forgetting about how he frames Muslims as trying to hijack the plane. That could potentially cause so much mayhem, especially considering the tense situation between Pakistan and India, and how extremist Hindus in India treat Muslims in their midst.

Yep. No sympathy for this guy.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Sentence seems harsh, but what the fuck, man? I mean, sure, I would do anything for love, but, um, you know the rest.

And it was for his mistress. So he was already an asshole for cheating on his wife, but then he tried to get his mistresses job closed by...faking a hijacking? Whut? I don't see how he thought this plan was, A) Romantic, B) Would work at all, and C) Wouldn't have dire repercussions when it inevitably backfired.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
This shouldn't be considered "just a hoax". It has to be taken seriously and treated like an actual highjacking. Based on the responses required, it's definitely not just a hoax that can be laughed off.
They seriously threw the book at him but it certainly sets a deterrent precedent. Don't be doing stupid shit like this.

And wow, was it ever stupid. This is going to make top ten stupid lists.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some people conveniently forgetting what the note said because perpetuating dangerous stereotypes of muslims and India/Pakistan violent tensions doesn't directly affect them, so they can focus on criticising the sentence with moral superiority.

Orwell

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
giphy.gif

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For one, it would've been disastrous as there were tons of hoax bomb scares in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 and I'm pretty sure we didn't go around throwing people into prison for life for it.

It would have been about the context. This dumbass was willing to risk causing an international incident and a whole bunch of deaths so he could get his dick wet. Of course he's not going to be treated the same as someone who's reporting a bomb threat post 9-11 because they mistakenly think something is suspicious.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guy was an idiot obviously and deserves a harsh sentence, that said life in prison or death being the only two options is pretty fucked up.

Life in prison should only be for crimes where you actually have harmed someone and/or will do it again and are a persistent threat to society (which is provable by a repeated pattern of behavior).

I think a judge needs to have more options here than just "life in prison" or "death". That's ridiculous.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
People are finding the sentence harsh? I'm personally against life imprisonment myself, but at the same time, it's certainly a severe enough crime. The dude isn't just irredeemably dumb, he's incredibly (dangerously) sociopathic too.

Oct 31, 2017
The guy is 38 with two children? Yeah all my potential sympathy for the life sentence went out the window. I was imagining like a dumb 15 year old.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
He made a terrorist threat which endangered a plane full of people. Life sentence means minimum of 14 years, I don't think that's unreasonable.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He deserves severe punishment but life seems excessive. 5-10 years is still very serious and should be enough of a deterrent to others.