• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What’s your opinion on Incredibles 2?

• Awesome movie. One of my top 5 Pixar.

Votes: 73 8.4%
  • It was really good but I don’t think I’ll go out of my way to watch it again

Votes: 245 28.0%
  • It was fine. Just a movie.

Votes: 313 35.8%
  • It was forgettable and unnecessary

Votes: 217 24.8%
  • It’s no Into the Spiderverse...

Votes: 170 19.5%

• Total voters

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't thought about this movie since seeing it in theatres. I barely remember anything from it, and to see it pop up in a list of best animated picture nominees for the Oscars felt strange to me, but I get it.

For me, it was fine. It was well-made. But...*shrug*

Anyway, this is just my experience, but I'm wondering how others feel about the movie. Was it necessary at all, and is it worth rewatching?

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't particularly special, essentially being a re-telling of the plot beats from the first film.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched it and enjoyed it. but you are right, when I saw a disney tweet about it today as oscar nominee I was like "oh...right, this movie exists"

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Poll needs something between the top two. It isn't in my top 5 Pixar, by I'd definitely watch it again.

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
It's a fine film, but a victim of superhero oversaturation. It feels less special today because it is.

When everyone is special...

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's very much in Pixar's C tier of movies, which aren't serviceable but are little else, like Monsters University. Sadly there is very little that the sequel does as well or better than the original and it doesn't feel like it ups the stakes or meaningfully advances the plot

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Main villain isn't as good as syndrome, subplots aren't tied together as neatly as the first film does. Family relations and characters are all on point though.

Certainly deserves the oscar nomination. Probably doesn't deserve the Oscar Win (but likely to get it because lol Academy), I would rank behind Spiderverse and Isle of Dogs.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw it on Netflix and gave it a thumbs down.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I miss an option: it's really good, but not top 5 Pixar. It's one of their better sequels, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also bought the blu ray, but still need to rewatch it.

Thing is, this year also saw the release of a better animated superhero movie, which kind of stole Incredibles 2's thunder...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Weak movie, felt like a retread of the first missing what made it so good.

Probably the most disappointed I've been in a Pixar movie.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it. Thought it was a huge drag and there was some character regression that went on. Even though I avoided the trailers, saw the main villain a mile away. It felt real "meh" to me.

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it, but it isn't even the best animated superhero film released in 2018 (I LOVED Teen Titans Go and Spider-Verse). Incredibles 2 has fun moments like Jack-Jack fighting with the raccoon, but the story is not as compelling as the first.

Oct 27, 2017
It was good, but not as rememberable as the first. I think its because mostly adults saw it, waiting nearly 20 years and when you think about it they just reused the first story and wasn't very original. The animation and comedy was great though.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's good albeit disappointing for a long awaited sequel

Plus Spiderverse was just better in every way while I was satisfied with Incredibles 2 once I watched spiderverse twice which I almost never do willingly for a movie in theaters

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I keep forgetting it's on Netflix. I do admit, part of my problem is that it'll never match the sequel I imagined it would be... but that's not the films fault. No, the film was really just a rehash of the first but from Helen's point of view. Would have made a great compainion film but the villian was too predictable.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's a great movie. At the time I loved it, I watched it twice in the cinema but since then I've kinda forgotten about it. Its funny, has great action and animation quality, but it's also very predictable and not memorable in any way.

Also Spiderverse coming along and basically just being a straight up better film in every area really helped Incredibles 2 get forgotten.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's fine, but I don't need to see it again. I guess that's what happens when you remake the first film, only with the roles reversed, and a worse villain.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was a mistake beginning the movie exactly where the first ended imo. Would be more interesting if they advanced one or two years with a new story, because the movie felt too similar to the first, without it's qualities. Also I saw that villain coming miles away.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
For a Brad Bird movie, it's strangely lacking in original ideas and concept. It's by the numbers in many ways, even though it has some nice progressive thoughts behind it. It feels like a rushed first draft, a largely empty framework from where better ideas should have emerged.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Incredibles 2 was great. It was a fun little family/work place comedy. Brad Bird did the thing I wish more sequels would do which is just have more small stories in the world vs making everything bigger. After 14 years the movie was never going to live up to everyone's expectations.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Lol wahatever my niece and nephew have watched that movie everyday pretty much since it came out on DVD

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I feel like this is the case with most Modern Pixar movies. Even when they're amazing, they just don't stick around the same way. Don't know if the magic is lost or whatever.

Even movies like Coco and Inside Out I feel like are pretty forgotten movies, even though both are amazing movies. Toy Story 4 will surely get amazing reviews, but won't even be thought of in the way that 1-3 does. Just my take.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
It was great but not very memorable. Nothing bad about it per say, but it didn't break boundaries either.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first was going to be very difficult to follow up no matter what. I think it's a serviceable sequel with good moments.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They whole handicapping the whole team for half the movie was kinda dumb.

But I enjoyed overall. Not as good as the first one.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I loved it and thought everyone else did too considering it got 80 on Metacritic. Interesting how the opinions seem to differ a lot here.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't have the magic of the first film or of Pixar films in general. Some nice moments though. Made for the people who just wanted more jack jack. It get's a passing grade though. Not horrible at all. Just had high expectations after the amazing Coco.

Oct 25, 2017
This making a billion really confused me on the "I don't want to see a cartoon" attitude toward SpiderVerse at the end of the year.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I enjoyed it, but it was never going to be as fresh as the original.

Still, I really wish they hadn't cut the production schedule of this movie for Toy Story 4. That's not how you handle the sequel fans have been clamoring for the past 14 years.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
The story with Bob taking care of the kids and Helen being the action hero was great.

It fell apart (for me) when they introduced the obvious villain.

It's still a great movie, but not what most people were expecting from a sequel 14 years after the beloved original.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's a good film. Not a great one.

The best way I described it to a friend was "it's like a random episode of the Incredibles cartoon series that doesn't exist". It doesn't have anything really to say or really advance the characters, but it's entertaining. If it was an episode of Batman: The Animated Series, it'd be a good-but-not-great episode like "Fire From Olympus" rather than the original's "Heart of Ice"-quality debut.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
It was literally Incredibles 1 reskinned with Elastigirl as the main lead. We didn't wait ~12 years for that!

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched this video:

Some interesting points they bring up. They basically break down why I2 is a step down from I1 in terms of storytelling, a bad sequel.

At the end it says Wreck-it-Ralph 2 is a better sequel :p
I disagree, but that is a really small part of the video.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
About to give this a watch in the next week and then will be catching Ralph breaks the internet as soon as I can get my hands on the bluray.

Out of interest, which turned out the better sequel. Ralph or Incredibles 2?

Edit: Haha well thanks Grunge_Hamster Will be giving it a watch after I'm done with both.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
It's a great movie, I really enjoyed it. The fight scene with the baby and the raccoon was really funny, as are pretty much all the scenes with Mr Incredible trying to look after the kids. But it's nowhere close to the original Incredibles, which was always going to be a difficult task anyway. So I wouldn't say forgotten, if it's on I'd watch it again, but I guess now I think about it I didn't and don't have much inclination to go out of my way to watch it again. But it's still a good movie.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it very much, but I also watched it two days after seeing Into the Spiderverse, so it paled a bit.

Storm Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's...Incredible.

XR6082G.gif

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Like all Pixar non toy story sequels it falls flat.
It's miles better than the others, but bar the raccoon scene there was little I liked