• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I used to play the shit out of 'in the hunt' back in the arcade days. Awesome game. Animations are oustanding. Ofc the metal slug team.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope Hamster get around to all the Irem arcade games, even thought there's some licensing issues with a few of them. I'd like Bomberman World, but Konami. Hook is also unlikely.

But I'd take R-Type Leo, Undercover Cops, Ninja Baseball Batman and Superior Soldiers. All the Irem M92 games are great.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Yes, yes, yes, yes!

I like this news very much, even if i only care about In The Hunt and Twinbee from that list, though i will admit i haven't played Time Tunnel and T.A.N.K.

But who cares when In The Hunt is coming to Switch!?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
At least Zero Divine gives us physical shmup action on switch in the mean time.
ovJZNfT.jpg

WNZrwai.jpg

jlRY1re.jpg

O'm guessing Japan only, right?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Are the Hamster ports any good? Do they have additional features?
They've got a great track record with accuracy. Usually they add the emu options you'd expect (DIP switch per game settings, button config, save states, language/region select, blur filter, vertical orientation sometimes, etc) plus online scoreboards.

O'm guessing Japan only, right?
Zero.div selfpublished all the games on the western eShops but NISA is also doing 2 packaged collections with all of them.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Mission 1....Marco..oops sorry wrong game. In the Hunt looks intersting enough. Will buy it on release.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope the price of the ps1 version of In the Hunt takes a dip on ebay. It's one I've been eying for a few years now.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Can someone knwledgeable explain to me, why the heck on Xbox One we only get the ACA Neo Geo, and no the ACA Arcade?

...why ?

OP
OP
iamaustrian

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Reminder:
Game is out in EU (and US?). Grabbed it immediatly.
Zhm5r3V.jpg

dsnqFlH.jpg

addendum: If you think you know 'hard' games, think again.
lol

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
It is out in the US. I was checking the store quickly before heading out for work, and it was in the new releases section for $7.99. I couldn't buy it fast enough.
I haven't, however, played it yet. I had an imported Japanese copy for the Saturn, and it had a weird bug where the game wouldn't boot if a controller was connected to the system.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Arcade archives are why we need folders on Switch!!

Do Arcade Archives games still have no option for pixel perfect scaling? I'm always a bit disappointed by the UX of their releases.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
so that's the name of the game...
i remembered playing In The Hunt in the arcades, but i never remembered the name.
thank you so much for the reminder, and i'm considering this purchase for sure (along with bad boys)

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Do Arcade Archives games still have no option for pixel perfect scaling? I'm always a bit disappointed by the UX of their releases.

Yes, I have almost all ACA releases on Switch and it creates a problem. We need folders.

If ACA's options bother you , do not buy a Johnny Turbo release. Those don't even allow you to turn off pixel smoothing. Fuck them.

Just bought this game, and the non-Neo Geo Archives have pretty decent choices for filters.
The game looks really, really nice on the Switch, regardless of the lack of scaling, in my opinion.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I have almost all ACA releases on Switch and it creates a problem. We need folders.

If ACA's options bother you , do not buy a Johnny Turbo release. Those don't even allow you to turn off pixel smoothing. Fuck them.

Good Lord, pixel smoothing?! Thanks for the warning.

OP
OP
iamaustrian

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
It is out in the US. I was checking the store quickly before heading out for work, and it was in the new releases section for $7.99. I couldn't buy it fast enough.
I haven't, however, played it yet. I had an imported Japanese copy for the Saturn, and it had a weird bug where the game wouldn't boot if a controller was connected to the system.

It was also one of the few 2D shmups where the ps1 version was better.

OP
OP
iamaustrian

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Good Lord, pixel smoothing?! Thanks for the warning.

Yeah. You can choose from like 10 different filters (incl scanlines etc) but for whateverreason they don't allow a pixel-perfect non-filtered version. Its so damn weird and frustrating

I only bought unique one-of-a-kind arcade games via turbo arcade on switch.
These are namely the uncut version of Night Slashers (the ONLY official rerelease of the game) and Sly Spy because it's just a damn fun 2D action side scroller.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
First ACA game where you can use rapid-fire for High Score mode and it will show on the leaderboards ON/OFF depending if you've used rf or not. Awesome! Now let us play in TATE mode in High Score mode for games besides Nintendo's arcade releases like Donkey Kong.

I've stopped asking about a scaline filter without blur smoothing... I just wish some journalist would ask/pressure Hamster (and Zero Div/City Connection) about it, but considering it's been 2+ years...

Anyway, holy slowdown batman! I didn't remember how heavy it was, but at least it helps making ITH a bit more manageable lol

OP
OP
iamaustrian

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Anyway, holy slowdown batman! I didn't remember how heavy it was, but at least it helps making ITH a bit more manageable lol

Haha
You can "feel" that the metal slug devs programmed it.
It seems like they didn't give a damn what the available hardware could do (without slowdown).
They just went in all guns blazing

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Holy shit, you can instantly recognize Metal Slug in those gifs, I didn't knew about this and now I'm mindblowed

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hey, this is awesome, I might have to pick this up.

I read a fair bit about this in Bitmap Book's new Metal Slug book (link), there's a sizeable section of the book dedicated to both ITH and Gunforce 2, and the interviews with the developers speak about them and their time at Irem making them a bit. It's well worth picking up.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. You can choose from like 10 different filters (incl scanlines etc) but for whateverreason they don't allow a pixel-perfect non-filtered version. Its so damn weird and frustrating

I only bought unique one-of-a-kind arcade games via turbo arcade on switch.
These are namely the uncut version of Night Slashers (the ONLY official rerelease of the game) and Sly Spy because it's just a damn fun 2D action side scroller.

It's criminal that they are releasing these classics in such a state. Thread worthy!

OP
OP
iamaustrian

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Yes they do, you have to set the filter option to 0 iirc.

You can turn the smoothing OFF. Smoothing starts at intensity level 0 but you can go - 1. Its literally written "off" .

There is still definitely some strange filter (or whatever) applied inherently. Even if you turn them "off".

The difference in image quality between johnny turbos games and hamster games is dramatic.
Turbo games look like a blurry mess in comparison.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
There is still definitely some strange filter (or whatever) applied inherently. Even if you turn them "off".

The difference in image quality between johnny turbos games and hamster games is dramatic.
Turbo games look like a blurry mess in comparison.
Oh, I was confused, thought you were talking about the Hamster ACA releases. 😓

Yeah the JT releases look smeared and stretched no matter what you do.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can turn the smoothing OFF. Smoothing starts at intensity level 0 but you can go - 1. Its literally written "off" .

I was having a mini conversation about Johnny Turbo games, not ACA. Or did you mean to tell me that there is a way to turn off smoothing in JT releases? Because there definitely isn't. Despite what it might say in the UI.

I love ACA! (But someone - please tell me why they still default to smoothing? Holy shit, who likes this?)