• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of us are waiting for the under $20 sale.
Personally I'm waiting for $10.

jgminto

Oct 25, 2017
It's a better action game than RE4. It's got some pacing issues but it feels so good to play.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I know no one here probably cares, but RE: Resistance has a pretty size-able community and most of us have been enjoying the multiplayer a lot. The only issues, which they are working on balancing, is the new mastermind being a bit overpowered and also how to punish leavers. The game is living on much longer than most reviewers thought it would but like I said probably no one cares because most people didn't give it a fair chance and reviewed it after playing each map once. At the same time, doing the same for a game like Left 4 Dead would be insane, but it is what it is.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
While I think it's a solid game, it definitely didn't leave a lasting impression on me. By the time I reached the end, I very much was expecting more.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I went back and replayed REmake 2.

It is so vastly superior in every conceivable way.

I always preferred RE3 on the PS1 ,but there is no room for argument as to which game is better.

If anything, Capcom deserves great backlash for this game because it squanders so much potential.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
I was mentioning that this game felt luke warm at release and people jumped down my throats. It really is a shame they didnt do more with it..

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I went back and replayed REmake 2.

It is so vastly superior in every conceivable way.

I always preferred RE3 on the PS1 ,but there is no room for argument as to which game is better.

If anything, Capcom deserves great backlash for this game because it squanders so much potential.

I think they knew exactly what they were doing.

RE3 was a quick crash grab and an experience to the people that will work on REmake 4. There was effort put into it of course, I think this is most clearly seen in the cutscenes, but it's a very shallow experience.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
They missed the mark, it was good but it wasn't really the game a lot of people were expecting after the brilliant reimagining of RE2. It was shorter than expected and Nemesis should have been scarier than Mr X, instead he was mostly a setpiece.

Some people will love the game and find it replayable as hell, that's cool. I think the big difference there between RE3 and RE2 is that the latter is replayable *and* can stand on its own if you're the sort to just play through once. A single playthrough of RE3 is good, it's fun, but it's a smidge underwhelming.

Yuri_Lowell

Banned
Apr 30, 2020
Its a terrible remake of an already mediocre game. RE3 should never have been RE3. That was Code Veronica. But thanks to Capcom's Greed and bending over to Sony back then we got a remake of what is a RE2 Spin off prequelinstead of Code Veronica.

A remake of CVX would have been Glorious. Now we may never get one.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I beat it once, sent the rental back and basically forgot it existed and won't pick it up on sale either.

I beat RE2R nine times total. This game was just disappointing and lukewarm in so many ways while not being bad either obviously, kind of a wet fart after my insane hype.

Yuri_Lowell

Banned
Apr 30, 2020
They missed the mark, it was good but it wasn't really the game a lot of people were expecting after the brilliant reimagining of RE2. It was shorter than expected and Nemesis should have been scarier than Mr X, instead he was mostly a setpiece.

Some people will love the game and find it replayable as hell, that's cool. I think the big difference there between RE3 and RE2 is that the latter is replayable *and* can stand on its own if you're the sort to just play through once. A single playthrough of RE3 is good, it's fun, but it's a smidge underwhelming.

I mean to me RE3 was never good to begin with. So remaking it was never going to be as good as RE2.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
there was a wave of sophists claiming it was the best one or that it was the most well known of the bunch in the lead up to it but they've mostly dissipated.
They probably grew up with it so nostalgia played a huge part in that dellusion. I've always hated RE3, the Remake was okay but overpriced as hell

They hated him because he spoke the truth

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I think they knew exactly what they were doing.

RE3 was a quick crash grab and an experience to the people that will work on REmake 4. There was effort put into it of course, I think this is most clearly seen in the cutscenes, but it's a very shallow experience.

REmake 2 laid the groundwork for something incredible,both in terms of story telling and gameplay.

REmake 3 wastes so much in terms of the material its based on and in terms of not living up to the amazing heights that its predecessor set.

I am 100% confident that REmake2 set a really high bar for the series in every way. REmake 3 is a regression to RE6 style direction.

I just hope the series can still somehow continue what REmake 2 started. It is near perfect.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Unscientific opinion but thats exactly how the original RE3 release felt like back on the day

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much every reason it's forgotten. Not because of the virus, but because they pretty much released a $60 game that could have been DLC.
Except it would have been forgotten even if they'd included some of the stuff from the original game. People's memory span is pretty short for linear singleplayer games. Especially if it's a sequel released barely a year after the original.

Doom Eternal was a complete $60 product and it's already forgotten as well.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This feels a bit dramatic.

Reception was largely positive and it's selling well. But it's been out for two months and single player game discussion doesn't stay around forever.

But it's also not as good as RE2, much as the original RE3 wasn't as good as the original RE2 -- and it was't discussed as much either.

"Forgotten" is quite dramatic though.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I mean... fucking Doom's been "forgotten" about just as fast, and that's with the Mick Gordon clusterfuck going on demanding people's attention and plans for DLC.

I don't think RE2R had that much more shelf life, I think by two months post release everyone got tired of posting X Gon Give it Ta Ya Memes.

And... the RE3R OT thread was just posted in this morning, wasn't it? Why the need to create a separate thread about it being forgotten, when the old thread is still alive?

Last edited:

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I mean, I don't see anyone talking about any of the other RE games so it's hard to hold that against it.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Unscientific opinion but thats exactly how the original RE3 release felt like back on the day

I was blown away by RE3 back in the day.

I don't think its a fair comparison at all.

RE3 introduces a lot of systems that were not in RE2. It was ambitious in its own right.

REmake 3 scales back everything compared to REmake 2.

For instance, Nemesis, Zombies and level design are much too simplified compared to their counterparts in REmake 2.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
REmake 2 laid the groundwork for something incredible,both in terms of story telling and gameplay.

REmake 3 wastes so much in terms of the material its based on and in terms of not living up to the amazing heights that its predecessor set.

I am 100% confident that REmake2 set a really high bar for the series in every way. REmake 3 is a regression to RE6 style direction.

I just hope the series can still somehow continue what REmake 2 started. It is near perfect.

To me that's a bit of a hot take. REmake3 is nowhere near the abomination that RE6 was. I think a lot of people carried the weight of the original with them a bit too much (I never played the original RE3, just RE 1/2).

I'll concede that REmake2 is better, but I still liked REmake3 a lot. My only big criticism is that it probably should have been $40 comparing it content wise to REmake2.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
It's a better action game than RE4. It's got some pacing issues but it feels so good to play.

This has to be one of the most legitimately insane things I've ever seen typed and posted. I finished RE3 remake five times and got the Platinum in less than 20 hours, and pretty thoroughly exhausted the reasonable extents of the combat mechanics and the encounters (again, five full playthroughs and all of the bonuses unlocked). Within 20 hours of RE4 you've probably just finished your FIRST playthrough and there's still so much to learn, unlock, upgrade, and discover because everything within RE4 can't even be seen within probably three playthroughs. Plus, the Mercenaries mode and unique mechanics in that add tons of other wrinkles to play with, to which RE3 has no equivalent at all.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
To me that's a bit of a hot take. It is nowhere near the abomination that RE6 was. I think a lot of people carried the weight of the original with them a bit too much (I never played the original RE3, just RE 1/2).

I'll concede that REmake2 is better, but I still liked REmake3 a lot. My only big criticism is that it probably should have been $40 comparing it content wise to REmake2.

I think REmake 2 is the best Resident Evil game ever made. period an I don't love the original RE2 btw.

I put REmake 2 right up there with the likes of Bloodborne, Dark Souls etc. It is a game that managed to hit every single area in a way that matches my taste perfectly.

It is so rich in detail and so replayable too. The noir influenced cutscene direction is so beautiful.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
It had too many hits against it: it's good but not as good as RE2, it was split off from a RE2/3 combo pack because Capcom knew RE2 was better, and RE3 has the misfortune of being released in 2020 - the year equivalent of a trash fire next to a mushroom cloud.

Jun 23, 2019
I just finished RE3R the other night in 5 hours flat. RE2R took me almost 10. The game was good, but it's obvious they cut a lot of stuff out.

3USgt2g.gif

Oct 31, 2017
I thought it was really fun, not quite as good as RE2 Remake but still a great time.
Games in general seem to have less presence in the zeitgeist and everyone is on to the next game so fast these days.

I'd say that's more for hardcore gamers. A ton of people spend/apent a lot of time on Fortnite, Destiny, GTA5, Cox, PUBG, RDR2, Minecraft, and many single player games are robust enough to keep casual folk playing then for ages.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

We can't discuss perpection, but there is enough evidence to support that's not the case. Jill's RE3 costume, for example, is extremely popular. The second RE movie draws heavily from the game, in fact Jill and Nemesis were the first two RE characters to make it to the big screen. And it's in Nemesis we can see how relevant RE3 was, it was by far the most popular RE monster, only Mr. X last year can be compared ot it.

And it did get half of a remake, so it was relevant enough for Capcom to not be ignored.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I think REmake 2 is the best Resident Evil game ever made. period an I don't love the original RE2 btw.

I put REmake 2 right up there with the likes of Bloodborne, Dark Souls etc. It is a game that managed to hit every single area in a way that matches my taste perfectly.

It is so rich in detail and so replayable too. The noir influenced cutscene direction is so beautiful.
I.... think I agree with you.... and I realize it may get me killed in here.... but I actually feel like RE2R blows REmake out of the water. I absolutely love everything about RE2R. It's been out for what? 18 months? And I still can't stop playing it. It's not a 10/10, it has small flaws, but I think I agree with you... it is realllllllyyyyyy close between OG RE2, RE4, and RE2R.... but gun to my head? I think I would roll RE2R.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its just a single player game not like it had any multiplayer component to help keep it relevant.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It does feel like Capcom expected Resistance to be a bigger deal then it was and be the thing that kept people coming back to the game.

You could probably make the same thread for Doom Eternal, both games by all accounts are very good but didn't have the same impact as the predecessors.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I.... think I agree with you.... and I realize it may get me killed in here.... but I actually feel like RE2R blows REmake out of the water. I absolutely love everything about RE2R. It's been out for what? 18 months? And I still can't stop playing it. It's not a 10/10, it has small flaws, but I think I agree with you... it is realllllllyyyyyy close between OG RE2, RE4, and RE2R.... but gun to my head? I think I would roll RE2R.

The level design and the depth of the enemies (and their weird randomness) lenditself to replays.

You can constantly master this game and replay it over and over.

I am still playing it and it keeps blowing me away.

Yeah it is not perfect , but its a real modern masterpiece.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
The level design and the depth of the enemies (and their weird randomness) lenditself to replays.

You can constantly master this game and replay it over and over.

I am still playing it and it keeps blowing me away.

Yeah it is not perfect , but its a real modern masterpiece.
100%. It's crazy because with how many times I've played it I am still blown away that I am in fact actually playing it. I never thought we would see it after 10+ years of begging. Freaking love that game.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
how could they fuck up nemesis so bad after they got Mr. X so well?

Different team, one with a more action focus. Plus, RE2 has the benefit of having you linger in the police station for half the game, whereas RE3 shuttles you from area to area a bunch (much moreso than the original RE3).

Also... I've said it a few times, but I'm not terribly fond by Mr. X myself. I didn't hate him... but I just dunno why people thought he was so super effective and terrifying, either. At most he stuck me as a bipedal time limit (you have to rush through this area or have to try to squeeze down this hallway with Mr. X in the way). And I think the worst Nemesis moments in the game were when they tried to channel Mr. X. Because the actual fights with him were fun! Better than any of the boss fights in RE2, IMO. The chase scenes weren't. So I think they should've just used him as a boss, instead of the watered down Mr. X sequence after you turn the power on, or the dumb rocket launcher chase thing.

Nov 4, 2017
I'm honestly quite excited to play it, but refuse to pay more than 30 dollaridoos (or like 20 BurgerBux) for a 5 hour game.

Also the multiplayer seems kind of... Cartoonish, and not what I expected.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Got the platinum for RE2, but go so bored with RE3 that I couldn't bring myself to play through it again. And yeah, Nemesis ended up being a wet fart. It's a fine game, but it feels half-baked.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019