• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
How about how those stores were protected by the police when poor minorites can't get a cop to investigate a burglary in their neighborhood? It's a systemic problem. Racism is as American as apple pie. How many times must the oppressed beg the oppressors for justice before it becomes right to sieze it? The social heirarchy exists so a few can have everything, some can have a little, and the rest nothing. When business owners have more political capital to affect change and do not, they are part of the problem. Just as idle cops that do not stand against the bad apples are.

Immigrants who came over with nothing and tried to build a life in America are not the problem, comparing them to cops is ridiculous as they are not gatekeepers of the hierarchical oppression that black folks feel. Explain to me how much political power a mom and pop store run by immigrants who barely scrapes a living by can exercise? Many of them didn't even have the power to vote as permanent residents.

imagine not being able to grasp that human lives of dark skin people actually is more valuable than mass produced material items

of course they'd think those business owners are only supporting protestors to protect their personal interests

I think the murder of Latasha Harlins by a convince store worker had something to do with that

it's fucked up that you needed to be enlightened about that while talking about those riots like some kinda gotcha

Yes, the murder of a Latash Harlins did have something to do with, as did the murder of another young african american by a korean store owner, as did the murder of a korean store owner by two african american men

A year prior, a Korean-American shopkeeper named Soon Ja Du had fatally shot a 15-year-old black girl named Latasha Harlins. Du received a sentence of five years probation and 400 hours of community service.

Another incident happened in June that same year, when shopkeeper Tae Sam Park killed 42-year-old Lee Arthur Mitchell. Park refused to sell Mitchell a wine cooler he allegedly wanted for 25 cents less than it was priced, according to the Los Angeles Times.

A struggle ensued after Mitchell went behind the counter of Park's liquor store to take money, and Park pulled a pistol and shot the unarmed Mitchell five times. Park was cleared in the incident.

And just a month earlier, two recent Korean immigrants working at another liquor store were shot to death after complying with demands from a robber whom police identified as black, the LA Times reported.
Source article detailing the damage done and other important historical details
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-...koreatown-finds-strength-saigu-legacy-n749081

I am NOT arguing that there were not precipitating factors of socioeconomic control (see my post # 268 above). These 2 groups were in fact pitted against each other by the white establishment. That does not mean that any action of violence or looting done by either is OK.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Honestly it's a hard situation.... While i don't condone it, these things kinda have to happen to make anything change really, the US is so fucked up i can't really think of any other solutions right now! I just wish it would be directed towards the right people rather than small places that have nothing to do with it, not everyone has the money to just rebuild.... I want to support the riots and the cry of the people need to be heard, but when you see some places like that affected, it's hard to be 100% behind it, it's not black and white... I'm quite conflicted

For me, there is a huge difference between looting and breaking a few windows versus burning down a building and taking livelihoods with it, particularly small business. I also fail to see how burning down buildings like the Migizi Communications building, losing irreplaceable Native American archives, photos and historic materials in the process, supports the cause.

You want to make a mark, burn down the police precincts, burn down government buildings. Hell, burn down the news outlets who care more about their ratings than they do black lives, while profiting off of their misery.

All that is being accomplished right now is assuring that large corporations like Target, Walmart, Wendy's, Arby's, etc. will come back to even less competition as small business will be unable to reopen, while the rich CEOs/owners continue to become richer.

Like is this really okay? I can't say it is... but at the same time i don't want the riots to stop just because of that either... Cops and institutions have been getting aways with fucking up minorities lives for too long...

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
This I don't get. SO if white people burn down a police station, they're not the kind of allies black people need? In a thread arguing for looting, its pro black people looting for justice and anti white people looting for justice? Ultimately I think you want everyone and every color fighting for justice. YOu say white people cant comprehend systemic racism, and its true we dont suffer from it. But you want to be heard by SOME white people in order to help push forward change, because unfortunately there's a lot of whites in power. If the white people are also out there protesting for Black Lives Matter, you're being heard.

I'm saying the white looters are probably not doing it because they wanna hear or support black folks. They see an opportunity to exercise their privilege even more by doing crap they know they won't get punished for. Look at the videos where black folk are pleading white protestors to stop. How are they being good allies? Just showing up doesn't count as being an ally.

And that's why my stance on looting is a hard NO. Who's to say the alt-right isn't among these rioters? Who's to say that nobody is purposefully targeting black business during this? Who's doing it for the political message and who's doing it for personal gain? There's way too much to weed out so we can safely say that looting is justified.

(Again: I'm just sharing my opinion about looting in a specific thread about the subject. The correct, smart, reasonable, and logical thing to do when looking at the bigger picture is to go straight to the core of the problem: systemic racism. Everything else pales in comparison)

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I know one thing, white folks who sit there and want to quote Malcolm X, MLK, or any other civil rights leader to us black folks about the "right" way to protest and in defense of "those poor businesses" can get fucked. I can't honestly say that if someone didn't do that to my face that I wouldn't have a strong urge to knock them the fuck out. Walk a mile in my shoes as a black man and go through my experiences with corrupt police forces before you get to say shit to me.
This one right here. If you have a problem with looting but are doing nothing about the unjust systems that have led to this point then shut the fuck up. It's just property. As a black man I can be killed with impunity just because of the color of my skin. I have no sympathy for billion dollar corps that underpay their workers and contribute to the massive income inequality in this country.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this has been shared around here somewhere already, but I just stumbled upon Trevor Noah's video talking about all of this and he touches on looting specifically towards the latter half. He frames it really, really well on why looting is always gonna be a natural response to this kind of societal issue because it's symptomatic of failing to uphold societal contracts. In the sense that: those in power agreed to treat those they govern fairly and equally when assuming that position, and so those they govern in return readily agree and conform to the placed upon rules. But as it is now (and has been for basically ever in this country), when black people are systematically treated unfairly, brutalized, and killed it signals that those in power are not upholding their end of the societal bargain, and so, after so much, a person is naturally gonna eventually stop and think, 'well then why should I?' When those who set the law refuse to fairly apply it to themselves and conversely unfairly apply it to black people/minorities and systematically murder them in the process, literally what reason do these folks have to show care for orderly conduct and property in return. Clearly it's not making a difference either way.

He says it all much more profoundly than I could ever begin to summarize his words, so I really recommend giving it a watch:

Essentially, when literally nothing else is working as a solution, escalation is gonna be the inevitable conclusion. If we want to coexist in a society where protest looting isn't a thing that happens, then we need to step up and hold those in power accountable--as they are the real source of the problem here, instead of pointing at black folks and telling them to be calm and peaceful in the face of all the shit they deal with. Like, shit, I'm just a simple white girl and I imagine I'm ignorant as fuck about a lot of things surrounding race and racism (and desperately hope I'm not stepping out of line anywhere here by saying all this), but it still seems clear as freaking day to me that looting is not the real problem nor should it be the focus at hand here. Anyone who is forced to live day in and day out in oppression is going to eventually have a breaking point, and, frankly, that it's primarily just a smattering of theft and property damage in the face of generations of utterly violating injustice is kind of extraordinary.

I was gonna post something similar but this post, this post Is a must read for everyone.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Yeah I'm not sure how the Korean immigrants shopkeepers who had their livelihood burned down in the Rodney king riots had much to do with the systematic wealth gap in America

koreanamericans-gather-in-los-angeles-koreatown-in-1992-after-the-picture-id120067489

koreatown_riots2_wide-a27bf6ecb433e3fe83078ead0ed65255a054c2a5-s800-c85.jpg

5bae0afe250000360037b38c.jpeg

You can't use it to drive a wedge between minority groups. We know why only korean owned shops burned down.

Oct 25, 2017
Check the condescension.

But you don't see a systemic involvement in immigrants being able to build businesses in predominantly black neighborhoods and make money off them? Which remains an issue today.

Good for them for making a living, nothing to hate on, but that's always been an issue between those communities for years. Immigrants move in, build, then the conversation becomes "well why are you people always complaining, we were able to come in and build our own thing, we just worked really hard."

And then shit like this happens a year before the riots

Not saying anyone deserved it, but its not like some random unrelated bystander shit.

The unrest between the communities existed.

Do The Right Thing came out in 1989 and touched on this.
Please see my post above that hopefully my addresses my points on this, I apologize for the condescension, I was momentarily upset that your response seemed to think I was posting a low effort gotcha when I had explained part of my position in a longer post above

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
They broke laws, so in that way they were criminals. I really can't see how some random criminal looters and raiders are on par with suffragettes or slaves.
It was only when the Suffragettes started militant and violent activity that their protest started having any impact. And in case you've forgotten, let me remind you of the infamous Boston Tea Party, an event celebrated in the United States as the first major protest of independence.

Oct 26, 2017
Looting isn't the right thing to do and hurts businesses both big and small. Riots are messy and looting can easily become a part of that, but just because the cause is just doesn't make all actions made in the name of said cause just.

Oct 27, 2017
Immigrants who came over with nothing and tried to build a life in America are not the problem, comparing them to cops is ridiculous as they are not gatekeepers of the hierarchical oppression that black folks feel. Explain to me how much political power a mom and pop store run by immigrants who barely scrapes a living by can exercise? Many of them didn't even have the power to vote as permanent residents.
All capitalistic businesses are part of the system.

Oct 25, 2017
koreanamericans-gather-in-los-angeles-koreatown-in-1992-after-the-picture-id120067489

koreatown_riots2_wide-a27bf6ecb433e3fe83078ead0ed65255a054c2a5-s800-c85.jpg

5bae0afe250000360037b38c.jpeg

You can't use it to drive a wedge between minority groups. We know why only korean owned shops burned down.
Please do not think I am using that as a way to drive a wedge between asian americans (which I am a part of) and African american groups. I have made longer posts in this previously explaining that I understand the many factors leading to the burning of Korean town
And while these photos are wonderful and there have been a lot of efforts heal the rift between the 2 groups, you cannot have healing unless there was damage done in the first place

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I read the OP, but it isn't really a defense, destroying ones own neighborhood isn't going to improve anything, local business will go out of business thus creating more unemployment, business's will less likely be inclined to open up in these areas.

I have read that most insurance in the USA doesn't cover rioting and looting damage.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Has anyone here ever looted? Are there any interviews I can read about looters giving an explanation for why they did it?
Otherwise it seems like there are a lot of people putting their own philosophy on why they think looters do it and why it's justified, when we don't Actually know any of this.

What's a more "justified" looting target if they are side by side - Trumps golf course/hotel or a Best Buy? Which one has the oppurtunity to elicit the change one wants to cause by looting?
You have to remember that this stuff is a mixture of tensions boiling over, bad actors riling people up, opportunism, people getting caught up in the emotions of the crowd, and so much more. I don't think a lot of looters are going to give you a thoughtful reason why they did it, or a reason related to changing the system. Trying to analyze it like this is disregarding basically everything we know about how gatherings can boil over into chaos, by trying to ascribe rational intent to it. I think the only real logic being applied is gonna come from the inciters who knew what they were doing, and anyone who is poor af and saw an opportunity to furnish their life a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
You do have the choice to stand up against oppression and make it known. A business standing together with the protestors gives more power to the oppressed.
How in this case would that happen? They have no voting power, they can't go protest because they are the only ones running their business and again, are barely scraping by so it's not like they can just close up shop for the day. Not like there was social media back then so they couldn't even put out a message there either.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Trump and his cronies have done massive looting of this country in the last three and a half years

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
They broke laws, so in that way they were criminals. I really can't see how some random criminal looters and raiders are on par with suffragettes or slaves.
So is that your perception of the protests that are going on now? You don´t think it´s on par with previous movements therefore they are just random criminal looters and raiders?

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So after midnight in DTLA was crazy. I have a hard time believing the ones still out and about were even part of the original protest groups that blocked the 110. I was seeing people in lexus suvs, nice fucking muscle/sports cars joyriding, breaking into a local viet restaurant, Terroni coffee, a jewelry shop, 5th st market in skid row. Even the fucking Starbucks in dtla that was welcoming to homeless. Breaking into Little Tokyo mom pop shops, these fuckers didn't give a fuck what they were breaking into and were obviously taking any opportunity they could.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Reading this, i think it's not that great. There is a large ass difference by who gets looted. It makes the assumption that those that are only hurt are the big corporations. Ie that target. It becomes more complicated when those businesses that are hit are minority own, where some cannot return after such an event. These small business owners do understand.....but that doesn't stop them from being devastated. Hell, some are upset that the police didn't protect their stores but instead protected ones like target.

For example, those tweets on businesses supporting the protest....they get the anger and frustration. But they still fear/worry about getting hit. Why else would they board up their places and even some writed black owned businesses? The issue comes when those that are hurt, are their own community. Honestly, this is reminding me of what happened during the 1977 nyc blackout. The anger was/is justified, but some of it got directed onto their own.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
You have to remember that this stuff is a mixture of tensions boiling over, bad actors riling people up, opportunism, people getting caught up in the emotions of the crowd, and so much more. I don't think a lot of looters are going to give you a thoughtful reason why they did it, or a reason related to changing the system. Trying to analyze it like this is disregarding basically everything we know about how gatherings can boil over into chaos, by trying to ascribe rational intent to it. I think the only real logic being applied is gonna come from the inciters who knew what they were doing, and anyone who is poor af and saw an opportunity to furnish their life a bit.

I agree. And what you posted is the most likely reason why (besides in what we are seeing in the other thread about potential bad actors/white supremacists inciting the looting and violence) this occurs.
Not because the ""idea of private property is just that: an idea, a tenuous and contingent structure of consent, backed up by the lethal force of the state.""" as proposed in the OP.

Oct 31, 2017
Certainly adds a bit of irony if people were accidentally defending the looting and violence of foreign forces or even white supremacists.

rioting is a legit form of protest as defended by MLK Jr and other civil rights activists but that's separate from agent provocateurs starting fires so the rest of the ruling class populace can go "look what they're doing to their own neighborhoods" and shift the narrative to pearl clutching about looting

everyone fretting over stealing when the actual issue is systemic racism is part of the problem and providing cover for the white supremacists that are coming in a starting fires to distract y'all

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Concern Trolling and Inflammatory False Equivalence Over Multiple Posts; Numerous Prior Severe Bans for Dismissve Behavior
It was only when the Suffragettes started militant and violent activity that their protest started having any impact. And in case you've forgotten, let me remind you of the infamous Boston Tea Party, an event celebrated in the United States as the first major protest of independence.
I doubt any revolution has started by burning your own neighborhood down and looting booze, cigarettes, electrical devices and other valuables. That's a way to drive a society into anarchy. No sovereign state will tolerate it and eventually there's army on the streets shooting live ammo.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I agree. And what you posted is the most likely reason why (besides in what we are seeing in the other thread about potential bad actors/white supremacists inciting the looting and violence) this occurs.
Not because the ""idea of private property is just that: an idea, a tenuous and contingent structure of consent, backed up by the lethal force of the state.""" as proposed in the OP.
That's more of an academic reading of the situation from how I understood it. To me it's laying out that the concept of property is a tenuous one, only held together by societal agreement and the State's ability to uphold that agreement. Therefore, on an abstract level (the author admits to this line of thought being abstract in the next quote), the looting is a shock to the system, a reminder that it can all be rendered moot if justice is not upheld. I don't think it's ascribing that as an actual intent on the part of the people looting though?

Because, like I laid out in my last post, a protest is a powderkeg that can explode under the right circumstances. Regardless of intent. Regardless of efficacy. Regardless of the wishes of any leadeas or organizers. This is just a reality of these kinds of gatherings. The longer justice is not upheld, the longer the protests continue, the higher the risk of things boiling over for any given reason.

0x03

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm going to say this again: I'm tired of seeing people online who don't even live in MN justifying what are largely the actions of young White dudes on city neighborhoods they don't live in. The organic vandalism and looting that grew out of, and is carried out by, Minneapolis's Black community is completely understandable, but there are videos and pictures that clearly show most of the pointless destruction is being perpetrated by young White people.

I have multiple friends and coworkers who live on the east and west sides of Lake Street (blocks away from the third and fifth police precinct buildings that have been on the Unicorn Riot live streams), who have witnessed that it's White hipster-looking dudes that are going around setting fires. Lots of people in this thread are acting like they're watching the ultimate "Let's Play" and are over-intellectualizing the actions of bad actors who are going in and causing destruction that will be shouldered by PoC.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I doubt any revolution has started by burning your own neighborhood down and looting booze, cigarettes, electrical devices and other valuables. That's a way to drive a society into anarchy. No sovereign state will tolerate it and eventually there's army on the streets shooting live ammo.

To summarize your talking points so far in this thread: It's pillagers and raiders looting smokes and booze, and that theft deserves capital punishment. With each new post you seem to be escalating the terminology and descriptors you use in order to maximize a negative connotation. You should just come out and call them thugs like you really want to.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
A lot of the small businesses out here ain't coming back. It's a fucking pipe dream to think that if all of them set up gofundme's they're all gonna ge enough to ride out the looting, much less the pressure covid had already put on them.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
So is that your perception of the protests that are going on now? You don´t think it´s on par with previous movements therefore they are just random criminal looters and raiders?
Yes, I think most people are there to loot, cause mayhem and fuck it all. I believe Floyd's sister wants everybody to stay calm and have a peaceful protest. The cop has already been arrested and the investigation has been started. Isn't that what the protestors want? To have justice for Floyd. It's happening. Why the fuck still burn everything down? By now they're just criminals causing havok and looting valuables.

This is not protesting.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
it's really telling how you give zero fuck about the dude who's business is completely fucked and is getting mocked about it by some jackass.

by the way, the killer was arrested.

1 out of 4. And the statement for the arrest immediately tried to make argument for acquital by implying George FLoyd was on drugs and had an underlying health condition that caused his death

"justice went unanswered".

ah the irony.

Any of these looters would be instantly arrested, tried and convicted if the police were after them. Justice would be very swift for this criminal activity. I guarantee you this Kelvaris Anthony person will go to jail for shooting this video. The same cant be said for THE PERSON THAT GOT MURDERED

Last edited:

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017

I just realized you're a Finn. I apologize for my countryman's ignorance.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
To summarize your talking points so far in this thread: It's pillagers and raiders looting smokes and booze, and that theft deserves capital punishment. With each new post you seem to be escalating the terminology and descriptors you use in order to maximize a negative connotation. You should just come out and call them thugs like you really want to.
Yes, I call them criminals. There's peaceful protestors as well, but I doubt they loot and pillage. It's other forces in play that cause the idiotic havok.

Status
Not open for further replies.