• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
This is ok for fast food, sodium is not that bad compared with other fast food items.

Vegan people don't eat this shit everyday.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Also that salt

e: note you will typically be adding salt to this pork once you eat it so its not actually 75mg

Q3OtI5W.png

Good example of why the mindset many people have of "Vegan Food = Healthy" isn't great vs "Vegan Food = Helps Animals/The Environment".

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I trust Impossible, they do good stuff. If this was Beyond I would stay far away.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I thought that sodium was insane, but apparently we're good with something like 1500mg a day.

I guess it's not that awful if you don't go overboard throughout the day.

Looking at a sliced ham sandwich with a sub's worth of meat on it, you'll get a solid 550mg+ with one sandwich.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I love me some fast food, but the Burger King breakfast croissant withe REAL pork is one of the worst things I have ever eaten. It's absolutely disgusting and I'm not sure even fake meat could fix the patheticness of it.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Good example of why the mindset many people have of "Vegan Food = Healthy" isn't great vs "Vegan Food = Helps Animals/The Environment".

This issue arises in every vegan/vegetarian discussion. I know a ton of vegan/vegetarian's and legitimately everyone of them made that choice based on environmental concerns and animal welfare. The argument of "you know you're not as healthy as you think ya are!" is such a trash argument I hear from people all the time.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017

This drives me crazy. Like when a menu has their veggie burger and it comes with a salad instead of fries (assuming they're cooked in a vegetable based oil and not animal fat), because they think anyone who isn't eating meat obviously is doing it because they want health food.

I still think about a Chinese restaurant that used to be in my neighborhood that had their fake meats and other strictly vegetarian options on a separate sheet labeled "healthy menu." Probably 70% of it was deep fried.

One of my favorite 100% vegetarian restaurants is a diner with lots of standard diner fare. I don't go there because I'm trying to eat healthy food, I go there to eat a big sloppy sandwich and plate of fries.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I'm not american, i've never seen a sausage in a burger form. Also, a croissant as a bun is crazy to me lol. A croissant is super buttery (in my country anyway)..
The croissant is or should be buttery. I grew up in Europe with the classic ham and cheese croissant sandwich among others, and this is just a breakfast take on that. The pork was ham and is now a semi-spicy sausage and the cheese is cheddar or other melty variety. The croissant is the same.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
This issue arises in every vegan/vegetarian discussion. I know a ton of vegan/vegetarian's and legitimately everyone of them made that choice based on environmental concerns and animal welfare. The argument of "you know you're not as healthy as you think ya are!" is such a trash argument I hear from people all the time.

Those aren't the people I'm talking about. My post was addressing people (from US celebs, to the average US citizen trying to lose weight and saw a instagram model saying you could lose weight going Vegan, to people who watched one too many Netflix Documentaries) who think of Vegan/Vegetarian lifestyles as "the new healthy diet" and only think of it as a way to be healthy/don't actually care about animals or the environment. You'd be surprised at how many people who assume things like the Impossible Burger/Beyond Burger are "healthier" than meat Burgers simply because it's Vegan, vs just being a food alternative that helps animals/the environment.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
cool.

we tried a beyond meat sausage the other day. It was greasy and flamed up the grill like a real meat sausage. However i can't help but feel it was missing *something* for me it wasn't as good as some of the best sausage ive had, like it needed more spices and herbs in it. That said i wanted to try their hot italian, but the store was out of it when we went back.

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares about salt? I add salt to everything. Just drink more water.

Because for some of us it increases our blood pressure.
It's also not just the sodium in the fake-pork, it's also the sodium in the bread for the sandwich and whatever else is in there. It adds up.
But this is one of the reasons why I don't eat out much or buy much in the way of processed food - tons of sodium (and often sugar) is added to everything. I mean you can't even buy Eggo Waffles and not get 410mg of sodium per serving. 95% cook for myself and don't use the salt shaker much or at all. There's other ways to add flavor.

Last edited:

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see an issue with the salt. Doesn't all processed pork sausage have a ridiculous amount of salt?

regular_sausage_608_342_v2.webp

83392cd5-70c9-4f0c-bdc1-c3f2073a02b1_2.d61cbc7db8083fc19b62d13274a3b45c.jpeg

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Those aren't the people I'm talking about. My post was addressing people (from US celebs, to the average US citizen trying to lose weight and saw a instagram model saying you could lose weight going Vegan, to people who watched one too many Netflix Documentaries) who think of Vegan/Vegetarian lifestyles as "the new healthy diet" and only think of it as a way to be healthy/don't actually care about animals or the environment. You'd be surprised at how many people who assume things like the Impossible Burger/Beyond Burger are "healthier" than meat Burgers simply because it's Vegan, vs just being a food alternative that helps animals/the environment.

Oh I'm not surprised by that at all, I hear it all the time from people. When I have beyond meat at a gathering of some sort like a barbecue or family party, people will be like "YoU ReAliZE it's BAd FoR yOu So WhY BoThEr?!?!" Beyond and impossible have really never advertised themselves as health foods, it's just alternatives for people who choose not to eat meat for moral reasons. It's nice to have something that's so similar to the taste/texture of meat.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I always find it hysterical whenever these threads pop up and health concerns are brought up when we are on subject of burgers, pork, sausage, bacon, etc. lol.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sodium ain't THAT high if you compare to most fast food joints.

In any case, some kidney stones never hurt! Oh wait...

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
For reference folks, the average north american is consuming about 3500mg of sodium... most of you probably would be stunned to know how much you intake in a day. This is not that dramatic a sodium load all things considered.

Keeping it under 2000mg a day is health, mainly to avoid the onset or worsening of hypertension.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the idea of impossible meats... but goddamn that sodium. They'll need to start selling it with a free dose of blood pressure medicine.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
My question is more : WTF ! Is this a croissant used as hamburger bread !? How does it work ? Like, is it a real croissant ?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
In on Impossible Pork. Can't wait to see what Impossible brings to CES 2021.

And if there's any fellow heavy-sodium-loving Impossible fans on here, there's a just launched Impossible rewards program that ships out free Impossible shirts to the first 10k signups. Pretty sure my referral link I have copied is against the rules to share, but a general link is at the top of Impossible's social media presence.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
These are like nicotine patches for carnivores. And with that amount of sodium it's like some Trojan horse to give the vegans* a heart attack.

*no vegan I know actually wants to eat food that tastes like it came from an animal.
I have been vegan since 1994. I probably know well over a hundred other vegans. 99.99% became vegan for ethical reasons, environmental reasons, with a small fraction for health reasons. Exactly 0% of them became vegan because they don't like the taste of meat, and therefore don't want to eat food that tastes like meat. I doubt there's a single health food store or food co-op in this entire country that doesn't carry dozens of different plant-based meat / cheese / milk options....

tl;dr you don't have any clue what you're talking about.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
I have been vegan since 1994. I probably know well over a hundred other vegans. 99.99% became vegan for ethical reasons, environmental reasons, with a small fraction for health reasons. Exactly 0% of them became vegan because they don't like the taste of meat, and therefore don't want to eat food that tastes like meat. I doubt there's a single health food store or food co-op in this entire country that doesn't carry dozens of different plant-based meat / cheese / milk options....

tl;dr you don't have any clue what you're talking about.

Cool cool. I forgot that "we'll over a hundred vegans" constituents a significant percentage of the population.

Yours is a personal anecdote, just like my account is. It's also weirdly hostile.

The vegans I know— of which a few are immediate family members
(but who the fuck cares?)
— became vegans for ethical reasons as well, mainly regarding the treatment of animals. Meaning they don't want to consume animal flesh, so a plant-based meat alternative that is meant to mimic the taste and texture of meat from an animal is of zero interest to them. that's what I was saying.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Cool cool. I forgot that "we'll over a hundred vegans" constituents a significant percentage of the population.

Yours is a personal anecdote, just like my account is. It's also weirdly hostile.

The vegans I know— of which a few are immediate family members
(but who the fuck cares?)
— became vegans for ethical reasons as well, mainly regarding the treatment of animals. Meaning they don't want to consume animal flesh, so a plant-based meat alternative that is meant to mimic the taste and texture of meat from an animal is of zero interest to them. that's what I was saying.
So they probably feel the same way about alternative milk, do they not eat anything that mimics the use and taste of dairy milk?

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
So they probably feel the same way about alternative milk, do they not eat anything that mimics the use and taste of dairy milk?

Like, nut milk or milk from grains (hemp, oat, etc..) ? They drink that. Those alternatives don't taste anything like milk and, probably more importantly, aren't marketed as "impossible milk" or "tastes just like cow's milk!" etc..

Most of the vegans in my life tend to avoid animal products as well as byproducts, including honey. Not my thing personally, but it's their body, their rules.