• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Squall indeed also looks wrong for that matter. His remastered model shows total disregard for the original design.

The people Squeenix has been hiring to remaster their old games are all collectively awful, whoever they are.
As off as Tidus was, Seymour bothered me even more.

DEW4LTj.jpg
lol these people.

Did they not realize Seymour's "bangs" are more like tree branches growing out of his head? The bang in the front of his head makes even less sense than before.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Tidus? Yuna's the real tragedy

all the emotion in her face in this scene is just gone :(

thank god they didn't alter the faces for XII

I really shouldn't be comparing this in my head to Silent Hill 3, specially considering it came out later, but even the original looks pretty stiff. And yet they managed to make it worse.

And the poster above is right. Looking at the weird hair guy, the face tatoo actually looks like veins due to the texture work in the ps2 ver.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, was thinking of getting the FF X HD remaster on Switch, but this is some seriously immersion-breaking stuff. Like, those comparisons have zero emotion, which is wild considering the PS2 models conveyed more heart.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
People are being OTT about Squall and the VIII Remaster updates. I say that as someone who is disappointed he doesn't match his CG appearance.

It's not a bad model at all and is drastically better looking compared to his original game model. The issue is that the hair and face weren't updated to match his CG so it's jarring switching from the new one to the realistic style of the CG. Rinoa is the one who unfortunately did not turn out well because they full on took her Dissidia face and pasted it here. Camilla Belle face is gone. ; ;

Otherwise the VIII Remater nails all the new models looks. Everyone else looks amazing. Look how much better Raijin and Fujin look:

ff8_galbadia_garden_new_orders.jpg
y_5d6924d8cb6b0.jpg

Now X definitely busted the models faces. It's not even because they look different. They are dead and completely soulless compared to the original faces.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Every year, without fault, I am struck by the memories of what they have done.

A friend offered me the remaster so I felt like just trying to get over it.

I reached that scene and uninstalled.

D8townIXYAMEDrp

D8tozOYW4AIFS4v

Was it incompetence ? Was it cruelty ?

You HAVE to play this on emulator. It's mandatory.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God. They gave him such a pudding face, I was thinking of picking it up on Switch but I'm not sure I could take looking at that updated face. It's so much worse.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I think there wasn't much noise because the game is phenomenal and freaking exceptional. So while it may weird you out, the story is engrossing and the world enthralling. It may seem degrading to compare it to Bethesda games but that is why they can get away with how utterly disgusting Fallout and Elder Scrolls look. Because as games, they are pretty damn fun. However, I do believe it was good will mixed with sheer incompetence that they killed the faces of that game.

That is also why there wasn't much of a fuss, it doesn't come off as with FF VI where it actively seems like Square wanted to destroy everything the game stood for and its beautiful art style with mobile phone art direction

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Didn't know there's so many people hating on Tidus huh. I like him. FFX is a great game, too bad the remaster butchered them faces.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think there wasn't much noise because the game is phenomenal and freaking exceptional. So while it may weird you out, the story is engrossing and the world enthralling. It may seem degrading to compare it to Bethesda games but that is why they can get away with how utterly disgusting Fallout and Elder Scrolls look. Because as games, they are pretty damn fun. However, I do believe it was good will mixed with sheer incompetence that they killed the faces of that game.

That is also why there wasn't much of a fuss, it doesn't come off as with FF VI where it actively seems like Square wanted to destroy everything the game stood for and its beautiful art style with mobile phone art direction

Bethesda has low standards to begin with.

FFX they took something that was good and they nuked it.

This isn't quite the same. And honestly they have no excuse. And this new job has nothing to do with the quality of the game since it was already a great game.

And this became "the" FFX that's everywhere now. Only old school fans will know the truth. =(

It kills me because I truly believe that FFX is a perfect bridge for newcomers, between the old FF and new FF. And I can't recommend this thing because it's so hard to connect with the characters where they look lifeless at best or like robot baboons if they're Tidus.

Didn't know there's so many people hating on Tidus huh. I like him. FFX is a great game, too bad the remaster butchered them faces.

People hate Squall Zidane and Tidus. Because they're not Cloud or they're not manly enough.

Didn't stop them from having millions of fans. Don't mind them.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
People made a LOT of noise when it came out.

It really looks awful. I hated the remixed OST too. At least later versions added the option to use the original OST.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
this is one of the ugliest FF games

tidus's his whole design is so baad

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
What bothers me the most are the eyes of each character. Tidus seems to have eyeballs that can't stay rounded in certain scenes like when he's looking upwards they warp and you can even see the weird, stretched geometry. Yuna's pupils scare me even more because they don't even appear to be rounded and it looks super freaky in close ups. On the other hand I like the faces they use for the less detailed model more than the originals.

Heck, the more I think about it even the original game couldn't seem to settle on how a lot of these characters looked with CG cutscenes looking drastically different from real-time cutscene models ALSO looking different from the flat textured faces where the colors looked different too.

I kind of just got over the awkwardness and have been enjoying my Switch play through. It's just another FF port that they can't get right. Add it to the pile.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guy is the most obnoxious character I've ever had to suffer through. He's a cunt, so, Im not concerned.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
The difference is really a non-issue. Not buying the game because of it is silly. If you hadn't told me the faces had changed, I wouldn't have noticed. Hell, I DIDN'T notice when I played it.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with the new models. Yuna's face looks worse I guess, but that not worse. The facial expressions in the original were also bad at the time, they could have improved it on the remaster but I don't think they are worse. In FF X-2 they improved the facial expressions a lot when it got released on ps2.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

D8townIXYAMEDrp

D8tozOYW4AIFS4v

I mean, let's be honest, you cherry-picked the worst instance of Tidus looking worse in the remaster, and it's a small short bit that happens and goes away. 98% of the time, he looks fine.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The difference is really a non-issue. Not buying the game because of it is silly. If you hadn't told me the faces had changed, I wouldn't have noticed. Hell, I DIDN'T notice when I played it.
This is kinda where I'm at. Also, there was so many years between my original playthrough and the remaster that my attention was mainly on the updates/changes from the base version or the stuff that just didn't age well.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In the original you had the best character artist in all of Square in charge of Tidus face

For a remaster, you get whoever is available

Im not surprised the difference shows

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Square-Enix have this strange contempt for their old games, some of their mobile FF ports were mind-bendingly bad.

The faces in FFX HD are something that should never have been allowed to release, whichever producer was assigned to oversee the outsourced work clearly didn't give a shit.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I've only played the remaster and do think the game is great, but wish I could've experienced the OG face models due to how much more natural they look. Tidus looks terrifying in comparison

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not just the faces, but the facial animation as well.

It's just done extremely poorly. Basically incompetence. Shouldn't have touched the faces if you don't have the ability to do them justice.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Same with FF8 Remaster for me, Squall looks nothing like his OG self.

comparativa-final-fantasy-viii.jpg

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
weird they put so much care into FFVIIR but for FFX even a natural remaster was too much effort? FFX is not niche FF.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, let's be honest, you cherry-picked the worst instance of Tidus looking worse in the remaster, and it's a small short bit that happens and goes away. 98% of the time, he looks fine.

I what ?

Oh pumpkin, I can do this ALL day.

BcWPUUUCcAAiXz4.jpg-large.jpeg

tidus7nu9l.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Same with FF8 Remaster for me, Squall looks nothing like his OG self.

comparativa-final-fantasy-viii.jpg

No.

Not even close. New Squall looks different, but good. The FFX ones can't even qualify as amateurish.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
FVIII remastered Squall looks more in line with his look from more modern games, it's different but I find it fine and the work done on some npcs is also very good.

On the other hand whatever they did to Tidus in FFX remastered isn't redeemable and a shame it hasn't been fixed after all this time.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth I do think there needed to be some work done, the eyes of the original models are freakin' me out a little in the close-ups

But they definitely went a little too far

At least Square Enix did good with XII and made Vaan's abs less terrifying

4xsThPV.png

5GjmZUA.png

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Bizarre how the modelling overall seems worse in the remaster....bad
It's not really that strange when you think about it.
The original was a high budget game built by masters of their craft.
The remaster will have been outsourced to the lowest bidder to cash in on nostalgia.

This is why almost every remaster this generation is worse than the original.
They shouldn't have touched the models, or at the very least, included an option to keep using the originals.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really that strange when you think about it.
The original was a high budget game built by masters of their craft.
The remaster will have been outsourced to the lowest bidder to cash in on nostalgia.

This is why almost every remaster this generation is worse than the original.
They shouldn't have touched the models, or at the very least, included an option to keep using the originals.

I mean we know who handled them.

The question is who, at Square, thought this was okay ? Like at some point they should have said "you know what, just keep the old models" ?

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
FFX is one of my favorites in the series and I played it a lot on the PS2 but I honestly didn't notice the models looking that different while I was playing the HD version. It's extremely noticeable when you do side by side comparisons but I think most of the time they look "fine" and as a result casual playthroughs will end with a lot of people not noticing, especially if it's been a few years since they touched the original.

I notice a lot of posts here saying "this is why I never played the HD version", which kind of supports my point. Most of the people complaining are ones who saw the comparisons before playing.

That being said, just because it wasn't as immediately noticeable, I do think they should have done better. Square Enix doesn't seem capable of releasing good modern ports of FF games other than... XII, I guess? The SNES games look like garbage now. The PS1 games have blurry backgrounds, no full analog movement, music bugs, and a host of other issues. FFX has this and other various problems (remember when people discovered the random number generator wasn't working so enemies always did the same thing). Sometimes these things get patched, but it's never all the way.

Unfortunately going with original releases is always the safer bet with Final Fantasy games. Even if you are giving up some of the improvements.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany

D8townIXYAMEDrp

D8tozOYW4AIFS4v

Both expressions are just awful and the angle not flattering at all. In both screenshots.

Anyways, I dropped the game for lots of different reasons but his face wasn't one of them.