• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
it's kind of amazing how FFXII Zodiac Age righted all of the game sins wrongs of FFX HD

- FFX had weird, iffy rearrangements for the soundtrack and didn't add the option to use the original music until the PS4 version (X-2 also, weirdly, didn't get the rearrangement treatment at all)
- FFXII got a fantastic, incredibly high quality remade soundtrack with a live orchestra and a few brand new tracks, in addition to the option for the original music

- FFX got weirdly altered character faces while retaining the original's separation of gameplay and cutscene character models
- FFXII got nice high quality textures, new material effects, and improved geometry while having cutscene quality models in gameplay

- FFXII also got updated visual effects (heat haze in the desert for example), updated shadows, and new mechanical improvements and QOL features over the original Zodiac Job System version that it's based on

I really wish Square Enix would go back and update FFX HD but I don't think it's gonna happen at this point :(

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't really mind the way they look but they were so much less expressive for no reason at all.

"Animate the faces??? WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT!"

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I was really fond of Tidus' narration voicework in FFX but the voice acting wasn't great anytime that lip synching had to happen. Still enjoyed the general voices but especially Yuna suffered from having to match the lips.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
ALL characer faces are the reason why I can't go back to the remaster.

On the first run I could stomach it because I was impressed with the background and sound quality(and I was missing the game)

They fucked up the character design BIG TIME.

FF12 remaster is perfection by comparison.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that looks very bad, for both Tidus and Yuna : ( And they did a bad job with the faces in FFVIII too, they lost a lot of personality and Squall looks like a different character. Why is it so hard to just make the faces higher quality without ruining them?

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
I don't really mind the way they look but they were so much less expressive for no reason at all.

"Animate the faces??? WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT!"

Pretty much how I felt playing through the remaster on PC.

At the end of the day it didn't bother me that much though and I think being able to mod in Japanese voice / English sub is probably worth enduring the wax museum faces.

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the reasons why the the remaster feels inferior to the original imo (same as almost all FF rereleases).

Just play it on PCSX2 if you can.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Yeah that looks very bad, for both Tidus and Yuna : ( And they did a bad job with the faces in FFVIII too, they lost a lot of personality and Squall looks like a different character. Why is it so hard to just make the faces higher quality without ruining them?

Yeah, the character design for FF8 Remaster doesnot match the art direction of the original.

They're supposed to look like the CGI models but instead they have a kind of simplified,toonie art style.

It changes the tone of the game.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
it's kind of amazing how FFXII Zodiac Age righted all of the game sins wrongs of FFX HD

- FFX had weird, iffy rearrangements for the soundtrack and didn't add the option to use the original music until the PS4 version (X-2 also, weirdly, didn't get the rearrangement treatment at all)
- FFXII got a fantastic, incredibly high quality remade soundtrack with a live orchestra and a few brand new tracks, in addition to the option for the original music

- FFX got weirdly altered character faces while retaining the original's separation of gameplay and cutscene character models
- FFXII got nice high quality textures, new material effects, and improved geometry while having cutscene quality models in gameplay

- FFXII also got updated visual effects (heat haze in the desert for example), updated shadows, and new mechanical improvements and QOL features over the original Zodiac Job System version that it's based on

I really wish Square Enix would go back and update FFX HD but I don't think it's gonna happen at this point :(
The main difference is that the people producing this remake actually cared and were people who worked on the original game. They even agreed to give Sakimoto an orchestra band to redo 6 hours of music

Just like how Tactics Ogre PSP turned out fantastic, also done by folks of the FFXII team

Verder

Oct 28, 2017
As off as Tidus was, Seymour bothered me even more.

DEW4LTj.jpg

Mannnn seymour's hair even makes less fucking sense now more than ever

Jfc square

Last edited:

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
It had been so long from when I played the original to when I played the PS4 remaster that I just didn't notice.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, it drives me absolutely freaking nuts. I hate Tidus' face in the HD version so much.
I finally played X about a month or so ago, and even without the nostalgia it was super clear his face was an absolute nightmare. His eyes look creepy af, his lips are all weird, and the round cheeks only make it worse. I spent half the game actively trying not to look at him when there was a cut scene playing.
Seeing comparisons to his PS2 model, it's like night and day. The original looks so, so, so much better. I don't know what the fuck SE was thinking, how they okay'd the HD face. I really hope someday, eventually, they go back to it and make him look right. o<-<

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
It's no secret that the trade offs for pre-Square Enix software tend to be an eye opener with the remaster treatment, compared to the software made under Square Enix already.

Doesn't help with how careless Squaresoft were with source codes.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The face looks higher quality in the PS2 lol.

Eh, I think if they were going for yet another pretty boy FF villain (which, with the level of hairspray he must use to get it into that shape, surely is the case) then it's clear the remastered version is what they wanted because the texturing artifacts aren't giving him implied wrinkles

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't realise how much FFX HD changed the faces, but now looking closer and comparing to PS2 it's pretty nuts. PS2 looks miles better, whereas the HD version makes them look like expressionless dolls.

I still don't think it's anywhere near as bad as what they did to my boy Squall though

11307NJBUUJNAwP0RPXErXd51ysM_R3roTAy_682xm_RXhSEA2H3I6_oJzKNHQGjaXkJHi2PZv2qfki8umNk9iBYK08L45aq.jpg
5gPGvRG.png

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Pretty sure the company that remastered FFX remastered this as well. Yeah, the faces were a generation worse.
Yup, both by Virtuos

And in both cases, they pretty much got away with it

The Arkham remaster is terrible: 30 fps cap, ugly models, missing visual effects.
And the general consensus is: acceptable. But no, it's certainly not!

There's a rumor that they are porting Alan Wake to the PS4/Xbox/Switch, and I fear for the port, as much as I love the game

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
We did make a lot of noise. SE didn't care. And we all know how terrible game reviewers are. They didn't pay enough attention to notice, lol.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
FFVIII Remastered changed Squall from River Pheonix into some kind of Kingdom Hearts thing:

FF8-final-fantasy-viii-7265051-350-263.jpg
270fb2a3aaa4569a99f62a1a04aacf8e1567713709_full.jpg

It's a miracle that FFXII HD turned out so good.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Everytime I think 'oh yeah, there's an HD remaster. I kind of want to play that', I remember the creepy doll face and easily decide I don't need that.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Damn they fucked these faces up big time. How do the PS2 ones look better lol.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yeah, it's stopping me from ever really going back to it. FFX isn't one of my favourite entries in the series but even putting the character faces aside there's something in the lighting or rendering that didn't quite come across in any of the remasters and everything looks really flat by comparison.

I was hoping we'd get a PC mod where intrepid modders imported the PS2 assets back into the game but sadly it hasn't happened yet, although there have been some good retexture efforts but they still look off.
The PS2 version is like $5 and you can play it in HD on an emulator, no problem 👍

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
X2nhie0.jpg

The face looks higher quality in the PS2 lol.
Its actually not, the remake one the texture is much higher resolution.
Whats happening in a lot of these cases is the old texture's blurryness actually gives the effect of a sort of grainy detail.
When they update the textures and make them higher resolution, the skin is a lot smoother and the lighting overall is more smooth.

To me it seems partly just an effect of that, and partly them trying to smooth out the character models. Also the lighting is overall less harsh which gives it a softer look, but also less contrast.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
FFVIII Remastered changed Squall from River Pheonix into some kind of Kingdom Hearts thing:

FF8-final-fantasy-viii-7265051-350-263.jpg
270fb2a3aaa4569a99f62a1a04aacf8e1567713709_full.jpg

It's a miracle that FFXII HD turned out so good.

Squall's update doesn't bother me that much since that's how he looks in most things these days so I guess I'm used to it. I do wish they'd put effort into getting the OG hair right though.

Real talk, I'm just glad we got the actual FFVIII outfit and not that POS Dissidia one.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The faces and music were what kept me away. I can emulate my disc, get a better experience and save money.

Still can't believe multiple people saw that face and OK'd it.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Yeah I hate it. All the faces are worse. The FF8 faces are worse too despite being graphically better. They look more Dissidia, and less like their original version which is very eveident in the pre-rendered cut scenes.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Saw a top ten SE fails video just yesterday and surprised these faces combined with music glitches for ALL the games weren't on the list.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The people that worked on this remaster absolutely botched the characters' faces and expressions. How did nobody at Squeenix give a shit when they saw these results?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Its actually not, the remake one the texture is much higher resolution.
Whats happening in a lot of these cases is the old texture's blurryness actually gives the effect of a sort of grainy detail.
When they update the textures and make them higher resolution, the skin is a lot smoother and the lighting overall is more smooth.

To me it seems partly just an effect of that, and partly them trying to smooth out the character models. Also the lighting is overall less harsh which gives it a softer look, but also less contrast.

Um, nope?

Part of the reason Seymour's original texture looks better is because the artists were going for realism. Look at the veins on his head, they're using texture detail to try to approximate depth with specular highlights and shadow, they even try to emulate skin transluency as they fade going down his face. They're just flat lines on the remaster. Then there's the geometry around the eyes, look at the way his lashes and eyelids are detailed unlike the new model which gives his eyes an odd hollowed out look with a strange eyeliner.