• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
I've heard DS is similar to MH, so I'll definitely have to give it a try. The setting is also something not found on Switch yet, outside of Skyrim.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are a number of games on non-Nintendo systems that I always recommend to Nintendo fans, based on certain shared principles such as good game feel (the "friction" between character actions and the game world — the cause and effect, if you would) and whip-smart design.

The Souls/borne series is one example of this. MGSV, one of my all-time faves, is another. And so is DOOM — a game that has already made the "switch," so to speak, and quite beautifully, imo. If Iwata were still with us, I could easily see him appreciating these games in a volume of Iwata Asks. They're love letters to people who speak the language of games.

When I read this part I was thinking 'hmm I see where you are going with this', and then when I see you put down MGSV and Doom this thread immediately got my attention because I absolutely adore all three of these games. You've done an awesome job with this thread and I hope everyone goes out and buys it in May. Also I'm convinced you have a similar taste in games to me, so now I want you to dig into your brain and tell me some other games that fit this criteria so I can go buy them.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If someone liked Metroid + Prime or Castlevania/Metroidvania games then boy do you need to play Dark Souls it will fit right at home, after playing BB and DS3 i thought why did i not get into this franchise way earlier.

Never played 1 yet, but i am sure it will be a blast. I can finally ecperience those awesome bosses i always see mentioned online.

And due to handheld mode i will probably play new game + over and over xD.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I hope people who've never played Souls before give it a chance.

It's one of the few games worth experiencing with a busy online community. And there's to be fair, there's nothing really like your first Souls game and experiencing and understanding all the pieces of the moving puzzle, that is the game.

It's a fantastic experience.

gonna double dip on ps4 and Switch oh ya

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I've beaten every Souls game except for 2 (kind of got sidetracked along the way), but I'm eager to replay every title.
Similar to what a journalist said about DOOM, these are some of the most "nintendo-feeling" games they would never make. Lovely series (DeS =DaS >> DS3>>>>>>>BB).

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And so is DOOM — a game that has already made the "switch," so to speak, and quite beautifully, imo.

I can't even begin to fathom what exactly you mean with the bolded.

Also, it's their loss if people are only having contact with souls games through the Switch release. Anyone with more than a passing interest in games should already know what this series is and should've checked some of the entries out.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I read this part I was thinking 'hmm I see where you are going with this', and then when I see you put down MGSV and Doom this thread immediately got my attention because I absolutely adore all three of these games. You've done an awesome job with this thread and I hope everyone goes out and buys it in May. Also I'm convinced you have a similar taste in games to me, so now I want you to dig into your brain and tell me some other games that fit this criteria so I can go buy them.
I'm not Neiteio, but I get what he means and understand what he sees in these games (well, I love them as well), my recommendation would be: Resident Evil 6 or Revelations 2.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Also, it's their loss if people are only having contact with souls games through the Switch release. Anyone with more than a passing interest in games should already know what this series is and should've checked some of the entries out.
I don't see why. The same way people weren't 'obligated' to buy a PS3 for Demon's Souls, people aren't obligated to have played any of the others.

Maybe this will push some Nintendo-only fans to pick up a PS4 for Bloodborne.

More people getting a great game is always a good thing.

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd really like to meet one of these mythical Nintendo-only gamers just to ask why?
Because I do not need to play other consoles to be "happy".

Heck, in all 5 PS systems, in all those years, I found just only one game that I wanted to play.

Since 2010 I do not care at all with other systems. I am totally satisfied playing only in Nintendo systems and do not know why people think that this is surprising.

I said that people who are interested in games in general should know already what souls-games are about
Not really.

If I am interested in Nintendo only games, I am still interested in games. I do not need to know about everygame out there.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why. The same way people weren't 'obligated' to buy a PS3 for Demon's Souls, people aren't obligated to have played any of the others.

Maybe this will push some Nintendo-only fans to pick up a PS4 for Bloodborne.

More people getting a great game is always a good thing.

I don't see where exactly I said that people are obligated to buy a console or even a game. I said that people who are interested in games in general should know already what souls-games are about and should've formed their opinion whether it's for them or not, be it through videos, streams or any other of the resources at their disposal. It's been close to 7 years since Dark Souls was released, I find it very hard that anyone in this forum, for instance, has had no sort of glimpse into this series before now. And if somehow these people were waiting for it to be ported to a platform of their preference, I don't think they are all that interested in the games.

Molemitts

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP. I'm really excited to see a rush of new players when it comes out. We should probably have a "first time player" thread or something like that for help and spoiler free discussion/first impressions.

I'm also interested to see what Zelda fans think. Especially Majora's Mask fans, I feel DS hits a lot of the same tone the MM goes for and DS' combat is somewhat like a more complex version of Zelda's with the sword and shield focus. I always loved fighting the Darknuts/Iron Knuckles in Zelda so the combat in DS really hit the right spot for me.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The greatest lie the devil ever told was that Dark Souls was like Zelda.

Biggest load of horseshit I've ever experienced.

If you're interested because you heard the same, it's not true. It has a couple of mechanics (like Z-targeting) but the gameplay loops are absolutely nothing alike

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I don't see where exactly I said that people are obligated to buy a console or even a game. I said that people who are interested in games in general should know already what souls-games are about and should've formed their opinion whether it's for them or not, be it through videos, streams or any other of the resources at their disposal. It's been close to 7 years since Dark Souls was released, I find it very hard that anyone in this forum, for instance, has had no sort of glimpse into this series before now. And if somehow these people were waiting for it to be ported to a platform of their preference, I don't think they are all that interested in the games.
I misunderstood your post, sorry. Because you said this:
it's their loss if people are only having contact with souls games through the Switch release.
I took the last line to mean if someone really cared, they'd have tried one of them, i.e. they wouldn't have just one platform.

However, I still don't really get your point. If someone only ever gets Nintendo systems, why bother checking out games that had never been announced for a Nintendo system? They'd never get to play them anyway. Now one is announced, they can check it out and see if it's for them. That's cool to me.

The greatest lie the devil ever told was that Dark Souls was like Zelda.

Biggest load of horseshit I've ever experienced.

If you're interested because you heard the same, it's not true. It has a couple of mechanics (like Z-targeting) but the gameplay loops are absolutely nothing alike
It's like Zelda, as in The Legend of Zelda, for the NES.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I took the last line to mean if someone really cared, they'd have tried one of them, i.e. they wouldn't have just one platform.
Maybe I wasn't too clear, but I meant that even if they only own Nintendo platforms, they would've at least seen videos of the game or played it at a friend's house. Sure, if it clicked for them, I don't think they should have waited for a port. I mean, it's similar to wanting to play a Mario game yet waiting for it to be released elsewhere.
If someone only ever gets Nintendo systems, why bother checking out games that had never been announced for a Nintendo system?
I find it hard to believe that there are people who will absolutely refuse to read or otherwise consume media regarding a game simply because it won't come out on their preferred platform. I mean, what's wrong about broadening one's horizons a bit? They might even find games that are worthy of them seeking out a different platform.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So many cringy post.

If I had a switch, I'd twink the shit out of everyone. Give them the true 'Welcome to Dark Souls'

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you like skeletons, boy oh boy will you love Dark Souls!
Are you trying to scare people off dude?
If they like skeletons so much they wanna see mroe of them at the beginning of the game...R.I.P.
I don't want to know how many people went in that direction and never considered going somehere else and stopped playing lol.
So many cringy post.

If I had a switch, I'd twink the shit out of everyone. Give them the true 'Welcome to Dark Souls'

1. Y'all so cringy.
2. I'd twink the fuck out of every beginner huehuehue.

thinking-face.png

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I find it hard to believe that there are people who will absolutely refuse to read or otherwise consume media regarding a game simply because it won't come out on their preferred platform. I mean, what's wrong about broadening one's horizons a bit? They might even find games that are worthy of them seeking out a different platform.
Well, the proof is in the pudding. There are people right here in this thread that are seemingly in that situation.

Personally, I'm always looking for games that might interest me, and I have very low sales resistance, so I'll buy a platform for a single game, but I don't think that's really a better approach than self-imposed horse blinders.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Neiteio, I'm looking forward to your tips for beginners to dark souls thread. I gave up on ds1 back in the day due to how obtuse it was. I'm playing through ds3 now but I'm terrible and could use some tips. Heh

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I hope people who've never played Souls before give it a chance.

It's one of the few games worth experiencing with a busy online community. And there's to be fair, there's nothing really like your first Souls game and experiencing and understanding all the pieces of the moving puzzle, that is the game.

It's a fantastic experience.

I wholeheartedly agree although I fear that about 50% of Switch owners will buy it, whine that it's too hard and a waste of money after an hour or two of playing it, then criticise it at every available opportunity.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So, if you love Zelda you will probably like Dark Souls also. :)
Also I could said, if you love Dark Souls you will probably like Zelda also. :)
Both are generally not true. Those games are very different.

If someone liked Metroid + Prime or Castlevania/Metroidvania games then boy do you need to play Dark Souls it will fit right at home, after playing BB and DS3 i thought why did i not get into this franchise way earlier.
Not true. These games are nothing like Dark Souls and Bloodbourne. You can like all those games but there is no correlation between liking the former and the latter. They play nothing alike.

It's like Zelda, as in The Legend of Zelda, for the NES.
No, it is not. It has more in common with Super Mario Bros 2 jpn / The Lost Levels.

I would really appreciate it if people would stop with the game comparisons. They are quite misleading and only result in false expectations of the game.
Dark Souls games are Dark Souls games. They are rather unique. There is no connection to other games except other "Souls-like" games.
There are no games X that are not "Souls-like" where the sentence "If you like/love X you will like/love Dark Souls" is generally true.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Not true. These games are nothing like Dark Souls and Bloodbourne. You can like all those games but there is no correlation between liking the former and the latter. They play nothing alike.

They are different but I already saw plenty of examples (including this thread) where people love DS and Zelda.

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't play much of Souls 1, as I didn't really get it at the time. Souls 2 was where it clicked, so I'm glad to be able to go back and really engage with Souls 1.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No, it is not. It has more in common with Super Mario Bros 2 jpn / The Lost Levels.

I would really appreciate it if people would stop with the game comparisons. They are quite misleading and only result in false expectations of the game.
Dark Souls games are Dark Souls games. They are rather unique. There is no connection to other games except other "Souls-like" games.
There are no games X that are not "Souls-like" where the sentence "If you like/love X you will like/love Dark Souls" is generally true.
Well the world structure gives me a metroid like feeling that's why and the quality ofbthe world building feels simular that's why i like it so much and get to that relation.

Also there is a bit of sense of progression sure not the same at all but still.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Great OP, and I agree completely that Nintendo fans will find a lot to love in Dark Souls. Especially Dark Souls 1, though the whole trilogy is great.

And your example of DOOM is spot on, honestly both Dark Souls and DOOM have felt like some of the most "Nintendo-ey" non-Nintendo games I've ever played due to the extremely polished and precise gameplay mechanics. The only area where Dark Souls would probably frustrate most Nintendo fans would be in UI and QOL, since it's an extremely obtuse game to figure out. Hopefully in the remaster they'll clarify a lot of this.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the time I spent with Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, but I play so cautiously and advance so slowly that I lost interest in both well before the end.

I'm hoping getting this on Switch will allow me to pour more time into it.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017

Well I disagree.

For me, DkS1 is the game most evocative of the original Zelda. If not for you, that's fine, but it doesn't make my experience any less valid.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it kinda like megaman where if you play it enough you can do everything on memory?

Actually that's a pretty good comparison. Enemy placement is very much so a memorization thing like that, so yeah I'd say that works.

The fact that you wind up dying so much really helps implant those placements in your memory too.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
There's a 90% chance they put Link's tunic in the Switch version too, maybe everything like a Master Sword.

If they did it for Skyrim, they'll do it here. Can't wait to play as Link.
Can you explain the reasoning for this to me please? It's something I've only ever seen from Nintendo fans and I find it baffling. Why is having Nintendo characters / outfits in games that have nothing whatsoever to do with Nintendo so important?

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
They are different but I already saw plenty of examples (including this thread) where people love DS and Zelda.
I believe that there are quite a few people that like both games, but there is little correlation between the games. It is better to describe which particular aspects of both games you liked and feel are similar. Stories of Zelda and Souls games are very different, as is the atmosphere in both franchises. Dark Souls does not follow the Zelda formula and progression. Combat is only slightly similar.

Well the world structure gives me a metroid like feeling that's why and the quality ofbthe world building feels simular that's why i like it so much and get to that relation.

Also there is a bit of sense of progression sure not the same at all but still.
Well, this is a better description of your opinion, thank you.
But for everyone else interested I'm listing some differences.
There is no platforming in Dark Souls. Combat is basically melee only and very slow. (Maybe this changes with magic which I have not tired) You are also moving really slow. I have not encountered any progression gated by acquiring useful items (Missiles, Double Jump, Bat form,... Metroidvania formula)

Well I disagree.

For me, DkS1 is the game most evocative of the original Zelda. If not for you, that's fine, but it doesn't make my experience any less valid.
I did not say your experience is invalid. You might feel the same way with Dark Souls as with The Legend of Zelda. I will not argue that. But you did not equate your experiences with the two games before, but the games themselves. And the games are not alike. They are not even similar. Gameplay is completely different. 2D vs 3D. No Zelda formula in Dark Souls. Completely different combat. Progression through the world is not similar. Similarities might be in NPC and story sparseness, the general 'action' category for both games and having boss fights. And liking one does not automatically lead to liking the other.

Also a key difference between Dark Souls and basically every other game:
Other games are benevolent towards the player and mostly fair. Dark Souls is not. Dark Souls hates the player with a passion. It is a game designed by a pissed-off, vengeful Dungeon Master that wants to see all characters die. And tries his best around every corner and in every room with enemies, traps and architecture. (like the lost levels)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Other games are benevolent towards the player and mostly fair. Dark Souls is not. Dark Souls hates the player with a passion. It is a game designed by a pissed-off, vengeful Dungeon Master that wants to see all characters die. And tries his best around every corner and in every room with enemies, traps and architecture. (like the lost levels)

I both agree and disagree with this. Dark Souls is designed around the player dying, yes, but I would not say it's unfair in any way. Dying is actually a very real progression mechanic in Dark Souls, and almost always it's not all that punishing.

The game constantly throws new, unexpected things at you which will likely cause you to die, but that doesn't mean it's unfair.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Dark souls is like a 3-D metroidvania with well-paced, hitbox centric combat.

I think Nintendo fans would LOVE it

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I completely disagree.

They want you to be careful, not to keep dying constantly. You're meant to learn that the world is hostile, so be slow, be careful, be conservative. I've gone through entire levels in the Souls games without dying once. It's not some inherent requirement to be killed.

Moreover, the first two Zeldas are brutally difficult. Way way harder than DkS1 to me. Yeah, they've been a cake walk since LttP, but those first two are seriously challenging.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Moreover, the first two Zeldas are brutally difficult. Way way harder than DkS1 to me. Yeah, they've been a cake walk since LttP, but those first two are seriously challenging.

In general games of that era are extremely hard because the player is so limited in what they can do. In Zelda 1 you can move in four directions and use two buttons. In Zelda 2 you can move in 2 directions, jump and attack. And duck I guess.

In Dark Souls you have a far, far higher number of input mechanics at your disposal. In most modern games that's the case really. Those Zelda games probably would've been far easier if the technology was there to allow the developers to make them easier.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I'm excited too for those who haven't played the series. I have also have a PS4 but am going to get the remaster on Switch regardless of FPS or whatever. The option to take it out of the living room will be great for me and I hope sales for this title are huge on Switch so more releases like this will happen.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I am technically a Nintendo-only gamer.

1. I like Nintendo's focus on how you interact with your games, being someone who grew up during the decline of arcades;
2. I like Nintendo's quirkiness;
3. I appreciate that at least Iwata viewed Nintendo's developers as artisans (per a quote from an Iwata Asks that I can't recall off the top of my head) as opposed to just cogs in a machine that makes commercially viable stuff;
4. I will not buy a Microsoft platform because I have been privy to the company-at-large's anti-competitive practices since the 90s - practices which still exist (and have not existed with Nintendo since Iwata took over the company);
5. Sony's marketing since PS3 has pretty directly said to me "we are focusing on competing with Microsoft, the kinds of games you like are mostly here to throw you a bone and keep you in our ecosystem" (where is Ape Escape, or Dark Cloud, or any of the titles that made me love my PSX or PS2? They're just not competitive enough with Microsoft's offerings in America, but maybe the Crash Bandicoot remaster will change that);
6. I am poor and a lot of my money goes toward my intended career paths, so I can't put money into a console + a PC, therefore I will buy Nintendo first and foremost (I do have a Steam account with quite a few games but never get a chance to use it);
7. Nintendo makes great games that I personally enjoy, and third party devs who have provided content to Nintendo platforms have scratched any itch I might have gaming-wise;
8. I don't give the first shit about resolution, and honestly feel like forcing HD on devs last get was more harmful to the industry than beneficial due to the number of studios that were shuttered due to the increased costs of development... the focus on 4K is not boding well in this regard.

"Nintendo-only gamers" aren't a myth. They're just hard for a lot of enthusiasts to comprehend because enthusiasts have a lot of presuppositions about how gamers are "supposed to be" or "supposed to think", which I generally disregard because it's usually all in-group signaling BS.

Ask me whatever else you'd like.
Nintendo only gamers still baffle me in the sense they are a lot less enthusiastic about 3rd party games that are on their platform.

I like Nintendo because they are a game company first moreso than a spectacle company but there are 3rd parties that offer good gameplay experiences.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The condescension towards people who will play this game for the first on Switch is amazingly hilarious.

Noooooot really.

Don't know who told you that, but is not an apt comparison.

There's quite many similarities from the methodical movement to the restricted item usage and management. Both series reward careful planning and punish the player for any mistakes.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Who only owns Nintendo consoles anyway? No offense, but the amount how games you're missing out on is like the Pacific Ocean.
I personally have been in a financial hole for the last 7 or so years, after the Wii and DS I was only really able to afford a 2DS at 120 euros, and only own like 10 games for it. So yeah, I do, and even if I have missed out on a ton of games, my 2010 PC has at least let me play most indie games up to 2015 if they are not too demanding.

Edit: I quoted one person, when everyone in this thread has asked the same question. Jeez guys not everyone can afford options, or even go for the obvious PS4. It took till 2017 to get as cheap as possible, and even then its not the case over here. I shouldn't even be considering it tbqh, but I do get some disposable burst of income that I can spend without worry, and I prefer buying the occasional 3DS game or saving up for a Switch, then buying a PS4 for a few select RPGs I would want to play.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Honestly, I think if there are people who just play on Nintendo consoles, the game likely isn't going to appeal to them anyway. That's obviously something of a generalization, but...for the most part, I think, anyway.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I own a PS4 and Switch but pre-ordered this on Switch. Being able to play Dark Souls on a portable won out over 60 fps. I may end up double dipping if the performance on switch in handheld mode is awful. Having played all the Soulsborne games, this one is far and away the best one to me and I'm incredibly happy to not need my 360 anymore to experience it.