• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
In my opinion, PS4 still has no games. I've had a PS4 since launch (XO also and ditched it awhile ago) but I'm still waiting for a killer app. It's the industry in general and I hate it.
That sounds like your problem if you didn't like a single PS4 game when a lot of people did, and bought a lot of PS4s. For me, the PS4 success came off the heels of me loving their PS3 output. Since PS1 I was a Playstation owner every gen, but with PS3 and 4 their first party hit some great strides. With PS1 it was the Final Fantasy, MGS, Resident Evil games, PS2 their sequels, 3 and on it was Sony's own output but still getting games from third parties that made me love PS1 and 2. I think the Playstation success story started with third party and second party support and wound up with maintaining a lot of those relationships while growing their first party. That and they always do well in Europe, the shocking part isn't when Sony succeeds with a home console, its when they falter.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
Sony won because of exclusive games, it's as simple as that. Yes, we can point things like the price and DRM controversy's at Xbox launch but the lack of big blockbusters was Xbox downfall. Look at the PS3. It was more expensive, weaker and it had tons of controversy in it's life cycle however it still ended up beating the 360 due to the stellar first party effort towards the end of the gen.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They won because Xbox dropped the ball so hard at the reveal event they were never able to fully recover from despite the hard efforts of Phil.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man, God Of War, The Last Of Us 2, Wipeout Omega Collection are all among my favorite games of the generation.

And I liked Uncharted 4 & LL, The Last Guardian, Shadow Of The Colossus, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous Second Son, and Until Dawn as well.

And I haven't yet gotten around to try Ghost Of Tsushima, Days Gone and Detroit: Become Human.

So definitely, the exclusives were the main reason for me to get the Ps4 and the main reason to come back to regularly.

Also, I got a PSVR and got into Beat Saber, which has become probably my most played game of the past 2 years. Even though I moved on to the Oculus Quest in order to play custom tracks.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
The Combination of price, more recognized brand and way better exclusive all gen is how they done it.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Have to agree with it being the exclusives, Sony won the race before it even started thanks to Shadowfall and Knack.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
It's a combination of things as always. At the end of the PlayStation 3 we were still getting hits like tlou, gt6, and more. Sony from the start also had a strong vision and a plan that was well executed throughout the gen. Their competitors messing up helped as well but Sony deserves a lot of credit for what they did.

Smart third party deals for Call of Duty, Destiny, etc and better performing and cheaper console ensured the PlayStation 4 was the default multiplatform device too.

Once their huge exclusives started rolling out momentum just kept building and building all the way into the PS5 as well.

If Sony did luck their way into the best selling home consoles of all time then their competitors must be utterly incompetent for most of that time.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is a good video.

I forgot how sony ditched events for some time now. I wonder if they will walk back on this once the pandemic is over.

Valkyria

Oct 26, 2017
By taking into account that there is whole world outside of the anglosaxon sphere. This forum should be taking notes too.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I wish the Remote Play of PS4 stuff on Vita wasn't ruined by Sony's baffling refusal to let people remap buttons, even going as far as to ignore the OS button remapping when connecting with a Vita.

R2 on the back touch pad makes it completely useless for pretty much every FPS game. They should have just let you swap L1/R1 with L2/R2, that's all it would take.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Great hardware with great games. Sony was firing on all cylinders with the PS4. Or maybe they made some deal with the devil that every PS Vita mistake they made would be paid off with PS4 success.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interested to see how the PS5 does long term. Microsoft and Nintendo seem to be in a far better position than they were in 2013. PS4 was a fine system but I can't help but feel that a decent chunk of the success came because of how unappealing the competition was. Oh and Sony absolutely needed the PS4 to succeed. They couldn't handle another failure like the PS3.

Jan 20, 2019
I'm really interested to see how the PS5 does long term. Microsoft and Nintendo seem to be in a far better position than they were in 2013. PS4 was a fine system but I can't help but feel that a decent chunk of the success came because of how unappealing the competition was. Oh and Sony absolutely needed the PS4 to succeed. They couldn't handle another failure like the PS3.

The early sales(2013 to 2015) the ps4 got a lot of momentum because of the competition failures, but after 2016 it was more about their own sucess with their games that anything else and for what we know, the ps5 will keep carrying with that momentum

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
The early sales(2013 to 2015) the ps4 got a lot of momentum because of the competition failures, but after 2016 it was more about their own sucess with their games that anything else and for what we know, the ps5 will keep carrying with that momentum
The gen was long decided in 2016.
There was never a gen where the console comfortably outselling it's similar gen competition in the beginning didn't end up selling the most in the end.