• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Did I say he was THE one that took it down?

There is no doubts the suits made IGN take it down but McCaffery does have a bad history on topics like this and it isn't just about Tesla. Like people posted in the other threads along with this one, Six Days of Fallujah was on his watch. Someone that doesn't see the issue with that is someone I don't trust.

Edit: Heck, how can you even say this is a tinfoil conspiracy when he himself is saying how excited he is to go on Colin's broadcast? Someone who is alt right...
No you never said he was THE one to take it down, just you thought he had something to do with. Since we are talking about genocide and war crimes I personally would not accuse someone of that without proof.

Colin has been talking about Ryan being on his podcast for weeks now. Could be an interesting listen, but will likely only be available via Patreon.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
IGN didn't side with hamas, they didn't condemn Israel, they just said Palestinian civilians were suffering. But apparently even that is too much for Israel and it's lackeys.
Israel's iron grasp on America's media is sickening.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I really feel bad for the people who were human enough to put up the change to now being forced from highter ups to spew shit like this.

Oct 27, 2017
No you never said he was THE one to take it down, just you thought he had something to do with. Since we are talking about genocide and war crimes I personally would not accuse someone of that without proof.

Colin has been talking about Ryan being on his podcast for weeks now. Could be an interesting listen, but will likely only be available via Patreon.
So what if he has been talking for weeks?

Surely you see how being involved with an alt right podcast that were trying to downplay genocide is suspect?

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Should we ban IGN as a source/link?

Dont agree with this at all. IGN staffers made a courageous effort that was clearly reversed by their corporate owners. We should punish them for this? They need to be able to decide how they proceed without pressure from us. Let J2 Global know how you feel about this, I think that's enough for now.

May 19, 2020

yeah i'm sure it will be really "interesting" to hear two ben shapiro types jerk each other off via podcast, uh huh

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck J2 global.

Nothing but respect and support for the ones working behind the scenes at all the IGN branches that are no doubt livid behind the scenes and trying whatever they can.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing how in control pro-Israel/anti-Palestine people of the narrative in real time is fucking disgusting.

Eyad

Nov 17, 2020
This is sad but expected. At least more people are realizing what is going on though.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
For anyone that wants to boycott their services, they are listed under 'brands' on their website

https://www.ziffdavis.com/

If you are in regular use of any of these and want to boycott, I'd suggest sending an email as well, specifying why.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Dont agree with this at all. IGN staffers made a courageous effort that was clearly reversed by their corporate owners. We should punish them for this? They need to be able to decide how they proceed without pressure from us. Let J2 Global know how you feel about this, I think that's enough for now.

I actually like they got out there and said a thing. It started a wave of similar outlets doing it. If they are strongarmed back from their original statement, it cannot be unsaid, especially in the fast moving world of the internet. That's the important thing. Shows that outlets are willing to stand up for the bollocking that putting out a statement carries with it, meaning that the next thing that happens, others will be inclined to speak their minds. There is only so much quashing of the media that can be done, if you get to a point where everybody is making a stand, then the fire is much harder to put out.

At least now, the ire is being directed to J2 and they can be visibly dragged. Every PR post will now carry the weight of the internet pulling it down.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Pure sociopathy from J2. It amazes me how much pro-Israel forces has much of the western world by the balls.

The initial signal boost for Palestine mattered however brief. Good for those with the spine

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
That's true but ultimately it's a protest against IGN not their writers. Its unfortunate they've been caught up in this but if they are silent from now I'd argue they're complicit.

It's their livelihoods, though.

On the other hand -- us letting the owners getting away with it might not be what the staff wants. It's kinda like we've left them out to dry.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
IGN didn't side with hamas, they didn't condemn Israel, they just said Palestinian civilians were suffering. But apparently even that is too much for Israel and it's lackeys.
Israel's iron grasp on America's media is sickening.
IGN Isreal literally sided with IDF like it was a damn red vs blue game. Sickening what they get away with. Glad it was taken down but you know their office was pissed the US branch showed humanitarian support on the matter. Some petty shit "oh they want to play this game? We can play it too!"

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm sure you mean well and have good intentions, so sorry if I come across as being harsh. But never call this a conflict, because it's not. It's really simple:
It's a genocide, ethnic cleansing from one side who is pulling the strings in the region, has the 4th most powerful army in the world and has the (financial) backing of the US and a big chunk of Europe. The other side is an oppressed country of people for over 70 years, with literally no one to back them in any way, no army, just a bunch of rocks thrown by teenagers and at best some homemade rockets and they're living in the biggest open air prison in the entire world.

Also a good read if you want to know the situation:
decolonizepalestine.com

FAQ | Decolonize Palestine

Welcome to the Decolonize Palestine FAQ. Here you will find answers to the most commonly asked questions regarding the Palestinian question.

Thanks for the resource, and yeah it did come off as a little harsh as we seem to agree, and Era would be a more pleasant place in general if people were at least able to admit when they're speaking on a subject they don't have a nuanced understanding of, which is why I said I'm not as informed on this subject as I'm sure others are

Nevertheless, as I said in my first post, I find it abhorrent how politicians and corporations in general can "both sides" this, when it looks like what you have described. I apologise if I caused any offence, I meant conflict in a neutral way, as "there is a conflict between two parties", I didn't mean to imply that it's a just or fair conflict, as it's clearly not justified or fair, but I also think that would be a really uncharitable interpretation of my post

I will look over your link when I have some more free time though, so thanks again for that

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Israel's power in controlling the media shows

A passing acquaintance sent me some shit about "Jews controlling the world behind the scenes". Couldn't believe it but made sure to ask him for receipts. I haven't blocked him but I did make sure to call him a "fucking idiot". As unbelievably abhorrent Israel's actions have been, are and, very probably, will continue to be... That conspiratorial bullshit serves no purpose.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive commentary, prior ban for dismissing concerns around bigotry.
Good. They shouldn't have said anything in the first place. Stick to games, your bread and butter. If I want politics, I'll visit other websites.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good. They shouldn't have said anything in the first place. Stick to games, your bread and butter. If I want politics, I'll visit other websites.

There is nothing wrong with raising awareness. It's not like they cancelled their game coverage to make room for this

Maybe you should stick to threads discussing video games and not these threads if you want to make stupid comments

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Would it be feasible for the censored staff to use their power to withhold coverage of the upcoming E3 as a sign of protest when we are nearer the E3 coverage?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people want to ban IGN or boycott them.

This is what happens if you present a different narrative on the Israel/Palestine conflict for a US company.

The debate is so ridiculous and one sided that I am happy that they showed even the little support for Palestine that they did. You can see these views and points in a lot of countries, but its just not possible in America currently or in the foreseeable future IMO. Supporting Israel and thereby the occupation is not up for debate here.

I applaud people on this forum for trying to improve things or at least trying to be ethical and point out when someone is doing or saying something wrong, but I don't see anything changing on this subject anytime soon. Its not even an option as I see it.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why people want to ban IGN or boycott them.

This is what happens if you present a different narrative on the Israel/Palestine conflict for a US company.

The debate is so ridiculous and one sided that I am happy that they showed even the little support for Palestine that they did. You can see these views and points in a lot of countries, but its just not possible in America currently or in the foreseeable future IMO. Supporting Israel and thereby the occupation is not up for debate here.

I applaud people on this forum for trying to improve things or at least trying to be ethical and point out when someone is doing or saying something wrong, but I don't see anything changing on this subject anytime soon. Its not even an option as I see it.

100% this.

The people who got it posted in the first place are essentially on someone at management's shit list for doing what they did. If people want to shit on IGN, they need to realise the current staffers (excluding any managers or execs) there are still the same people who got this message of support out in the first place, against all odds and kept it there for as long as they could.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Can IGN's review scores even be trusted anymore? How do we know the reviews submitted haven't been altered by pressure from J2 Global if it reflects negatively on a key sponsor?

How can any aspect of their coverage be trusted after this?

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
Would it be feasible for the censored staff to use their power to withhold coverage of the upcoming E3 as a sign of protest when we are nearer the E3 coverage?
Would you be willing to lose a job that could be worth anywhere up to $100k because your corporate owners deleted the Tweet, for an act that would do absolutely nothing for anyone?

A few(?) editors broke ranks and put up an article that they probably knew was going to be deleted when the higher-ups got involved. That was enough.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
It's still great to see some IGN employees posting the donation links directly on their Twitter accounts and not silenced or staying neutral

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These types of "both sides" messages from large corporations always have the same outcome: express sympathy for a conflict but inevitably side with the perspective of the state in charge.

It's just your usual stock standard PR fluff. Inoffensive and toothless, bereft of actual perspective.