• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
my spidey sense is tingling suggesting that this information is wrong

notably, the E3 2018 trailer. 343 doesn't need to outsource for a trailer, they have a juggernaut art team. They have like 500 employees and at the time of that release, they were 3 years deep into engineering a new engine. This leads me to believe the information is quite wrong.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I for one, am outraged at you personally, yes you reading this comment, your opinion on this news is dogshit and I hate you..../s

i think that fits with the theme of this thread

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
So remember when Microsoft outsourced a trailer for Phantom Dust that didn't reflect the actual game at all and everyone said "Phil's in charge now he won't do that" well they just did it again with HALO ffs. That engine trailer was the exact same thing.

Can we actually hold Phil responsible for the incredibly deceptive marketing that happens under his leadership this time so we can convince them not to do this crap anymore please?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
RE6 was a title that had higher than normal outsourcing. I expect great things.

The report isn't saying outsourcing = bad. As was pointed out in this thread, The Last of Us 2 had plenty of outsourcing and you're talking about a 94 metacritic game. Not to mention that it's a standard practice in AAA.

The report is saying in this particular case, "the coordination between the many different companies contributing to Infinite has been rough, at best."

So outsourcing isn't bad inherently, but it is when you have poor management and communication.

And it can not be arguing 343i doesn't have at least one if not both, otherwise there's no way on earth they should have had to delay this very important launch title that they had 5 years to make and a never before heard of budget to do it with accord to reports.

EDIT: Yes, certainly COVID is a thing, but there are other launch titles and end of the year games that are looking to make their dates.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I seen after I posted my comment, interesting none the less. Hopefully jschreier or some other journalist can get the scoop.
I'm going to refrain from getting into any of this for now but one thing I'll add is that I don't believe there was any truth to the rumor that campaign would ship without multiplayer this fall. My understanding is that 343 discussed various plans over the years to ship the multiplayer BEFORE the campaign, not vice versa.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
The report isn't saying outsourcing = bad. As was pointed out in this thread, The Last of Us 2 had plenty of outsourcing and you're talking about a 94 metacritic game. Not to mention that it's a standard practice in AAA.

The report is saying in this particular case, "the coordination between the many different companies contributing to Infinite has been rough, at best."

So outsourcing isn't bad inherently, but it is when you have poor management and communication.

And it can not be arguing 343i doesn't have at least one if not both, otherwise there's no way on earth they should have had to delay this very important launch title that they had 5 years to make and a never before heard of budget to do it with accord to reports.

They also by that report struggled hugely with trying to get to a stable state working from home when Covid hit, this would also be made worse with the outsourcing as they would be in charge of getting those devs sorted to work from home.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Man this worked so well with MCC, which was also majorly outsourced.

343 have to be like, the slowest working devs outside of Remedy. At least Remedy puts out something unique.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
It's my understanding that the 2019 trailer was again outsourced and at that time, the game was not in a state that was playable at that level of fidelity. Even though the trailer says "Game Engine Footage" – this is a nebulous term as we don't know if this is an attempt to show what gameplay would look like (not plausible at this time based on what we have seen) or what cut-scenes would look like which is the more plausible explanation but this vastly over-sold expectation for Infinite's later demos.

If this part is accurate it's going to be pretty damaging to their reputation

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
is this the same community directly who mocked someone for reporting that Halo Infinite might ship in parts? Then Phil Spencer later confirmed that it had been considered

He called out Brad Sams, indirectly and not in any sort of tone, for saying that multiplayer would ship after campaign, which was never the plan per Phil Spencer and like Jason mentioned above. Brad is good with hardware and sourcing things there but when it comes to things like games, he tends to speculate too much on the little info he might have received.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
is this the same community directly who mocked someone for reporting that Halo Infinite might ship in parts? Then Phil Spencer later confirmed that it had been considered
This denial? Doesn't seem mocking, unless you're referring to something else.

As far as he knew at the time, the game was going to release this year and its complete state. Why would you assume a community guy is privvy to all of Phil's decision making?

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Well on the first page of this thread, there is a reddit post from him that addresses the previous tweet:

jschreier said:
I'm going to refrain from getting into any of this for now but one thing I'll add is that I don't believe there was any truth to the rumor that campaign would ship without multiplayer this fall. My understanding is that 343 discussed various plans over the years to ship the multiplayer BEFORE the campaign, not vice versa.

Same thing as Sketch said:
More recently, as it became clear that the project needed more time, part of that assessment did entail trying to see if perhaps just MP could launch as planned but was deemed a non-starter.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Everytime I hear something concerning Halo Infinite, it serves me Uncharted 4/Andromeda development vibes all around. Hopefully Infinite turns out more like the former.

Muck

Banned
Jan 5, 2018

He did not mock anyone, he denied Brad Sams claims on Twitter.

Brad Sams used the "validation" of his initial mis-reporting as the basis for his entire Thurrott article by defensively placing it in the first paragraph. He even made a video with a bombastic title claiming that he was right all along, which ske7ch just debunked on Reddit.

As others posted, ske7ch further denied Sams claims from the article with that Star Wars meme. While I don't doubt outsourcing, the show, and COVID-19 have thrown some wrenches into the mix, combining them with this claim of planned split releases is just misleading.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Usually community directors don't know half of what actually happens. If it was someone from the engineering or the design/art team, that would hold water.

that's because community managers are sometimes not in the same building as the developer... they're just there to relay information from the perspective of the publisher.

afaik ske7ch is. and one of the thing I hate about 343 is they have pro players part of their process which means ske7ch likely was there from the start and know the intricate inner workings of the team as he is directly part of the team.

that's why not all community managers are the same. some of them are integrated into the team and some of them are on the outside acting like a conduit.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Sounds like bullshit. They pretty much used the same cgi trailer in 2020 and why would the TV show hinder the game. That makes zero sense.

Like i could easily believe that Halo Infinite have had problems during development, but it makes no sense at all that the TV show is the reason for it.

My bullshit detector is definitely tingling.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

EDIT: Yes, certainly COVID is a thing, but there are other launch titles and end of the year games that are looking to make their dates.

I know, but I appreciate the larger post on the matter. I updated mine and since I like RE6 there's that too lol

Killer

Oct 27, 2017
They need to change the management top to bottom. I don't get why MS didn't do anything since MCC.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Don't these studios usually handle mostly smaller asset creation? Just there's a lot, which is why there's usually a decent amount of support studios used, bit surprised it could get so off track it derailed the entire development.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea if this is true or not, but the only thing that is 100% guaranteed is that the development of this game was a mess.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Never believe tech engine demos, cg trailers with no actual gameplay, etc. Remembering that fake Phantom Dust trailer and the completely misleading Halo 5 trailer, I had no confidence in the Halo Infinite Slipspace trailer. The gameplay demo only proved that moreso, so these reports are not surprising in the least.

Last edited:

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Thurrott's source claims that the outsourcing "was at a ratio higher than a typical studio undertakes during development," which has led to communication and collaboration headaches for 343 Industries. Apparently, the E3 2019 trailer for Halo Infinite was outsourced while the game was not in a playable state, which "over-sold expectations for Infinite's later demos." The report suggests that the marketing and engineering teams behind Halo Infinite "have been on two different planets," which has also led to issues in messaging the game.

This seems illogical.

The 2019 trailer hardly promised anything. There was space marines, wildlife, and Master Chief on a Halo ring.

And the idea that the engineering teams were targeting anything short of the graphical fidelity we saw in that trailer is pretty absurd. Personally I didn't even find them that impressive. I'm not sure that the trailer even looked better than actual Gears 5 on PC max settings. It wasn't a high bar.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
unknown.png

tenor.gif

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
Dont they already have like 450 employees? like double the size of Naughty Dog and SSM? Why do they need to outsource more? They should be outsourcing less. Fewer. Stannis.
Think about how large a Halo game is. Halo has to ship with a campaign, fully featured multiplayer with a variety of maps, Forge, Theater...its a LOT. sure they may be double the size of ND but their games are probably double the size too (at least).
Naughty Dog has around 460 employees so no 343 has not the double of employees but pretty much the same size.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Weird article. The E3 2019 trailer wasn't even the impressive showing, that was just a cutscene that looks pretty close to the cutscene we saw this year.

It's the E3 2018 trailer that I would have guessed was outsosurced.