• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
There's several on this list I have not played yet, sadly (Disco Elysium, Slay the Spire, Outer Wilds), some I'm in the middle of (3 Houses, Fallen Order), and a couple I have no intention of playing (sorry Sekiro, but Bloodborne is likely my last ever Souls-like game unless there's an easier difficulty), but it's a good list overall. DMC V should absolutely be on that list, though.

As for my pick: I guess Outer Worlds? Control was excellent, but I got frustrated AF with some of the technical issues and difficulty spikes. Pokémon Sword is addicting as ever but is also immensely frustrating in several aspects. RE2 is extremely high quality, but for whatever reason the latter third dragged on for me.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon lol, probably Disco Elysium or Control for me. I should probably get Outer Wilds, it's only game on that list that I haven't played

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Their PS4 exclusive list made me realise what a bad year it's been for Playstation, at least for me in any case.

The only game released this year that I've bought for the PS4 is RE2. Great year for catching up on old games tho.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So many games I haven't played man, I feel bad. I have yet to play RDR2 😂
Lol at Pokémon and Link's Awakening being there. Where Luigi's Mansion at!?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds should win because it's one of the best games to release in the entire generation.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So am I looking at this wrong but when I clicked the page I got a lot more games showing up:

IGN.PNG

IGN_2.PNG

Why the fuck did they add in the extra game's as "fan voting" but maintain the 7,000 or so vote leg-up the original set of games had. They should create and reset the poll for reader's choice versus IGN's Nomination. There is absolutely no way any of the newly added games can't catch up on a 7,000+ vote deficit. You can't even change your vote.

Last edited:

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
It's been a really piss poor year hasn't it, the weakest of the decade probably

Nah, no way. It's definitely not at the top of the decade (2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018 all better), but far from the worst. 2012 is by far the worst year of gaming this decade. The game that won the most GOTY awards was The Walking Dead, which I actually enjoy, but that tells you all you need to know about that year. A little point-and-click game would never win GOTY on most sites in a year where RE2/Sekiro/Death Stranding released, or God of War/RDR2/Spiderman, or Zelda BOTW/Mario Odyssey/Horizon/Persona 5, or Uncharted 4/Overwatch/DOOM, etc etc

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, no way. It's definitely not at the top of the decade (2011, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018 all better), but far from the worst. 2012 is by far the worst year of gaming this decade. The game that won the most GOTY awards was The Walking Dead, which I actually enjoy, but that tells you all you need to know about that year. A little point-and-click game would never win GOTY on most sites in a year where RE2/Sekiro/Death Stranding released, or God of War/RDR2/Spiderman, or Zelda BOTW/Mario Odyssey/Horizon/Persona 5, or Uncharted 4/Overwatch/DOOM, etc etc
I think that the post-TWD S1 games by Telltale kind of skew that view. That game felt pretty fresh for the time, but all of the games they pumped out afterwards really made the genre seem stale and other adventure games released afterwards like Life Is Strange gave it competition that it couldn't match with the time constraints they had.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Their PS4 exclusive list made me realise what a bad year it's been for Playstation, at least for me in any case.

The only game released this year that I've bought for the PS4 is RE2. Great year for catching up on old games tho.

Its been a down year for PS4 in terms of exclusives, but largely because some heavy hitters got kicked out to next year and beyond (namely TLOU2 and Ghosts) - and for some people Death Stranding alone made it good. Still by comparison if you look at the Xbox exclusives, they pre-emptively gave the award to Gears of War 5. Confused the heck out of me at first because I was wondering why that one had a winner already and I couldn't find a winner on the other pages. But they gave it to it because they didn't think anything else was even worthy of nomination.

Nintendo on the other hand absolutely killed it on exclusives this year. Didn't have a runaway AAA release that appealed to everyone, but they were throwing out games scoring in the 8.5 to 9.0 metacritic range like they were candy this year.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
I said it in a fun predictions list
iGN overvalues Star wars for their traffic
Jedi Fallen Order will win it's GOTY award here It's a great game I'm 12 hours in

I'm convinced Gamespot is going Disco Elysium after their recent year of videos before that I thought Outer Wilds had a real good chance

Polygon/Kotaku it's Outer Wilds

Giant Bomb will go back and forth till they decide everyone likes Apex Legends and award it their GOTY while the Outer Worlds and Control have stronger passionate arguments

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Yesss Outer Wilds. Thank you Based Miranda Sanchez and whoever else fought for this game.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I'd have liked to see Apex here. Haven't been that into an online game for years and the only reason I haven't played in months is that I'm afraid if I start again I'll go another 6 months barely playing anything else like I did earlier this year.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO ... I guess only one dude at IGN liked DMCV. How the fuck does a 9.5 game not get at least a nomination.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I have not played any of the other games and I'm enjoying my time with it, despite its very obvious shortcomings, but...

SwSh? Really?
There are a few people on IGN's staff who really love Pokemon. Despite all its shortcomings. From what I understand, it only takes one person internally to champion a game and get it on the ballot. That said, no way in hell it will win.

Apr 21, 2018
Good list except I really feel Astral Chain and Luigi's Mansion 3 are getting overlooked hard.

Pokémon and Links Awakening don't deserve to be there. Both of them are derivative and don't run smoothly at all.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Its been a down year for PS4 in terms of exclusives, but largely because some heavy hitters got kicked out to next year and beyond (namely TLOU2 and Ghosts) - and for some people Death Stranding alone made it good. Still by comparison if you look at the Xbox exclusives, they pre-emptively gave the award to Gears of War 5. Confused the heck out of me at first because I was wondering why that one had a winner already and I couldn't find a winner on the other pages. But they gave it to it because they didn't think anything else was even worthy of nomination.

Nintendo on the other hand absolutely killed it on exclusives this year. Didn't have a runaway AAA release that appealed to everyone, but they were throwing out games scoring in the 8.5 to 9.0 metacritic range like they were candy this year.
Yeah Xbox was even worse, but I don't own a xbox so that doesn't bother me as much.

Though I guess this means that the future looks great for Sony! TLoU2 and Ghost of Tsushima next year and GoW2, Horizon 2 and Spider-Man 2 almost confirmed for PS5. (I'm holding on to the hope that Horizon 2 is a launch title).

Haha Nintendo had a monster year this year, made me dip and get a Switch 😁 no regrets

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get how The Outer Worlds is getting looked at in award season.

It reminds me of Dragon Age Inquisition. People were very thirsty for an RPG in that vein so they gobbled it up even though it was a very mediocre game. Six months later, Witcher 3 came out and reminded everyone what an actually great RPG looks like.

The most recent Fallout games haven't been good so people are thirsty for that experience. Hopefully, something similar happens and a game in that genre releases within the next year that is actually good.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I like how in their nomination for pokemon they're like yea its just another pokemon game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
It reminds me of Dragon Age Inquisition. People were very thirsty for an RPG in that vein so they gobbled it up even though it was a very mediocre game. Six months later, Witcher 3 came out and reminded everyone what an actually great RPG looks like.

The most recent Fallout games haven't been good so people are thirsty for that experience. Hopefully, something similar happens and a game in that genre releases within the next year that is actually good.

Another reminder that Genre is far more important than Game quality for GOTY.

People shitting on stuff like DMCV in this thread smh. I wouldn't be surprised if IGN don't even give it best Action game.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Decent list even if it's definitely missing DMCV.

Don't really think Pokemon Sword/Shield and Link's Awakening hang.

Also Sekiro does everything Fallen Order does better except being Star Wars I guess.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty surprised at the results of the reader poll so far, Jedi on top by a decent bit.