• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do You Assume Someone Sporting A Confederate Flag is Racist Off the Bat?

• Yes

Votes: 3,240 95.6%
  • No

Votes: 78 2.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 71 2.1%

• Total voters

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
What about a red, white & blue neck tattoo?

2020fsfsfs-600x375.png

I only get suspicious of American flags when an emoji of it is next to someones Twitter handle.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
displaying the symbol of a group organized around hate or oppression on your clothing or vehicle should generally be seen as an endorsement of said hate or oppression

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this poll will be incredibly one-sided.

I am positive there are people who do this that do not consider themselves racist. The flag certainly is a flag of racism and should never be flown, butit also does stand for southern pride down here.

I can see someone who is very ignorant, but not racist, displaying the flag without consideration for its racist past and present.

But most who fly it are probably racist even if they don't know it, yeah. I certainly feel repulsed whenever I see it.
Someone not considering themselves racist doesn't preclude them from being racist

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
How about a shirt like this ?

Asking for a friend
Yes, have you listened to the words of Sweet Home Alabama? They praise George Wallace for standing up against the end of segregation.

In Birmingham they love the Gov'nor, boo-hoo-hoo
Now we all did what we could do
This is about the police brutality and attacks against the Civil Rights marchers. They are apparently admitting they participated in the attacks.

Sweet home Alabama, oh sweet home
Where the skies are so blue and the governor's true
Once again praising George Wallace for his racist actions.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Shit... I'd even go as far as saying: the more US flag attire I see a person rocking, the higher chance that they are probably racist.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Yeah this poll will be incredibly one-sided.

I am positive there are people who do this that do not consider themselves racist. The flag certainly is a flag of racism and should never be flown, butit also does stand for southern pride down here.

I can see someone who is very ignorant, but not racist, displaying the flag without consideration for its racist past and present.

But most who fly it are probably racist even if they don't know it, yeah. I certainly feel repulsed whenever I see it.
This is completely false. Racists are racist regardless of their willingness to admit it.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
The Confederacy only existed because they wanted to own slaves. People who take pride in Confederate heritage are celebrating racism, slavery, and treason.

So yeah

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah. If they still can't get it through their thick skulls as to what the Confederacy was all about, then they are absolutely racist. I get even more pissed when I see that stupid shit in states that fought for the Union (i.e. the rural parts of PA).

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. Around here in Ohio the folks who fly it use the same excuse it's part of my heritage so that is why I fly it. Then when you question them it's always the same you want me to kick your ass. Godi live in such a hick county.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Right off the bat? Ummm, nahh, not quite that quickly, but that's because I'm in the UK and the discourse around it hasn't fully filtered through to everyone.
I feel as though I still see it on really old Biker-Jackets (often very faded/disintegrated through years of wear) and some of those people are decent enough, or like to wear it to 'be ironic' or something. I'd let them open their mouths first, just to be sure.

If I was in the USA, different story.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Absolutely. And count me as a +1 for assuming people with Blue Lives Matter, MAGA stuff, NRA or other pro-gun stuff, etc. are also racist. People showing off American flag items don't make me instantly assume they're racist like the other items, but it definitely warrants suspicion.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
2 years ago I was at a resort in Myrtle Beach and a woman was wearing a confederate flag Bikini. Shameful. Par for the course in Myrtle Beach though.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, have you listened to the words of Sweet Home Alabama? They praise George Wallace for standing up against the end of segregation.

This is about the police brutality and attacks against the Civil Rights marchers. They are apparently admitting they participated in the attacks.

The amazing part is the surviving members had to soft-shoe around this and try to explain away this shit in later years. I've heard everything from, "it was ironic" to "it was just PR beef between Neil Young and the band, for street cred"

I wince everytime I hear the opening lick in public

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Unless they were some strange history nut that likes to collect flags of old nations, yeah.

The Show 'Dukes of Hazzard' definitely feels strange now.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yup. Perhaps 10-20 years ago I would have thought they were, at a minimum, very misguided or ignorant. In 2020 if they don't know that shit is racist then it's because they choose not to know.
My thought exactly. In 2002 during spring break I got into an argument with a Florida guy who was saying it was heritage not hate. I thought it was a bullshit argument at 20 but I had a sliver of doubt cause I was from the north and alcohol was involved and he was so adamant he wasn't racist and it was the first time I had heard that.

Very soon afterwards (and subsequent years of living in the south) I came to the conclusion that it's just a symbol of hate. If I thought the nazi flag was evil why would I give credence to the confederate flag?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but definitely yes nowadays. I've legit seen my moderate right-wing environment back home shift from "Eh, it's not like it's actually hurting anybody" to "Wait, why were we cool with this again?" Confederate imagery has become....unsavory, to say the least, and at this point the only people outright defending it are the fuckhead racists actively promoting it.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020

That song isn't about praising George Wallace, they don't praise George Wallace at all in that song. Anyone thinking that they do has missed the point
www.npr.org

Unfurling 'Sweet Home Alabama,' A Tapestry Of Southern Discomfort

More than 40 years after its release, Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama is still one of the most recognized rock anthems celebrating the deep South. It's also a song with a complicated legacy.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Do people wear the flag in Europe?
Everything you can find in the US you will find in Europe to an extent.

we have bikers, we have wannabe rednecks too.
And yeah we have morons with "rebel" flags tatooed on them.

and in my case he ran a bar name "the General Lee".
In retrospec, I kinda should have seen that one coming.

also remember that in France, English is really not a language people understand so when we hear some music with some cool sound.
We couldn't give less of a shit about the lyrics and most don't understand them at all.

In the 60's/70's you had a lot of French singers who made banks translating US songs.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

I thought this recently, but someone here explained to me in another thread that the song is a condemnation of that, not an affirmation or celebration of it, similar to "Born in the USA" by Springsteen. I'm not a Skynyrd fan, infact, I hate when Skynyrd comes on some classic rock playlist, but I took this Skynyrd fan's word for it. Also I think "THAT SMELL" is like the most annoying classic rock song.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. I've been friends with one or two kids in high school who had it displayed somewhere and they probably weren't racist, but at this point, years later, people should know.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming there is no way to retroactively make all votes visible on a poll, because I'm also curious about the no and unsure answers.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The short answer is "yeah most of them" Many know what it stands for and just use the states rights/southern pride as a front. Many of them are that flavor of racism of "Im not racist, I have black friends and coworkers I respect and admire, I just think that -insert racist shit here-"

The nuanced answer is, there are people who are honestly just misguided, ignorant, and a little too proud to admit maybe they are wrong.

It doesn't necessarily mean they are bad people or racist. They just grew up being fed lies about it. On my gf's graduation cap she had a confederate flag in the background. It was subtle, just the blue bars and stars, it was meant to symbolize her being from Texas. Thats what she associated it with. Nowadays? She embarassed she ever did that and actively calls out family members who still don't see an issue with it.

I also do think there is a difference between "being a racist" "not caring about racism" and "being ignorant of racism" Many people touch upon that in this thread "Not considering themselves racist doesn't preclude them from being racist" But the thing is I'd wager this can apply to most if not all people on this site. It's a product of the systemic racism in the world. Good people can be accidentally racist without knowing.

Anyone who PROUDLY displays the confederate flag most likely falls into the camp of "actual racist" or "don't care about racism". But there are some that are just ignorant and don't know what they are doing.