• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Goodbye

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger. I still enjoy the music and I love playing every couple of years. But the first time I experienced this game was truly magical. The first time I did dual and triple techs, the graphical wonders of some magic spells, the story itself and the way my time travels effected future worlds. It was so much stuff I had never experienced before. I don't think that feeling will ever be surpassed.

Some games come close, like TLOU, BotW, Witcher 3 and FFVII, but they all have some minor flaw that stops it from being the GOAT.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Probably God of War (2018)
I never cared much for the other games in the series, but that one immediately entered my top 5 all time after playing it.

jman912

Dec 31, 2018
Hollow Knight. I know the map too well to experience that sense of discovery I had on the first time.

On the flip side, definitely not Celeste. Some of those C-sides and later levels I never want to do again.

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild. I've never before nor since been so immediately awestruck by a game. The first time I did anything in that game, be it discovering a Korok or defeating a Guardian or even simple things like chopping a tree, filled me with unparalleled glee.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I guess probably none. I'd lose precious time that I could use towards experiencing new games.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Honestly, none. At least not in the scenario port forth in the OP. It wouldn't be the same at all as the first time I experienced it, given all my experiences with newer games between the past and my sudden game specific amnesia.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
It's Outer Wilds. The game is a masterpiece, and while there exists other masterpieces the unique tragedy of this particular one is that you can't really replay it.

In Outer Wilds the save file is stored in your head, and unfortunately you cannot easily delete progress there.

I am permanently stuck with a 100% completed save file.

timmyp53

Jun 15, 2020
It has to be Journey(PS3) for me. I was in such a depressed and bad state of mind. The game made me weep. Witnessing all the hardships in life and the parallels in the title. It brought me immense feelings of hope and catharsis that I can't remember ever experiencing from a game. It really made me appreciate the medium in a way I hadn't before.

Shout out to ThatGameCompany ❤️

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Witcher 3

1st 10 hours = This is boring shit and everything sucks

last 390 hours = Please never end

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Recency bias is definitely a factor in my choice but I would say The Last of Us Part 2.

Previously I would of said Until Dawn or maybe Zelda Breath of then Wild.

edit: Persona 5 Royal is another goodin

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
DEMONS SOULS: The feeling when i discovered the first shortcut is still unmatched for me in all of gaming.
METAL GEAR SOLID 1: A masterpiece in storytelling and world building.
Silent Hill 1: I Want to re-experience the school area fresh again :(
P.T: Nothing prepared me for this game.
Street Fighter 2: Seeing it in the arcade first time blew my mind, and doing my first Hadoken made me feel over the moon.
Mortal Kombat : Re-Discovering GORO for the first time will be special.
KOF 94: Art of fighting guys, Fatal Fury Guys, Snk Ladies all present in the same game? HOLLY SHIT

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid (if it makes me forget the rest of the series too and I'm able to replay them even better!)

TLOU 1 and 2 would blow my mind again if I forgot them.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Zelda: Ocarina of time
Zelda: Majora's Mask
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the heavenly bride
Chrono Trigger

One of these, but I can't choose..

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Shenmue. It had to be there and then in time, though.

Halo. Gosh, exploring the ring world after the crash landing...

Tomb Raider. That feeling in my gut when jumping from platform to platform is something I can remember to this day. What an experience it was.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Multiple for me tbh: Skyrim, Fallout 3 + New Vegas, and Prey (2017). I'd say Halo, but after reading all the novels and extended media, I'm too invested in the franchise to just start over, lol.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
999: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors, because it has my favorite plot twist in all of entertainment and artistic media.

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
Obra Dinn. Outer Wilds. Disco Elysium. Three games that had moments which put my jaw on the floor, grinning wide-eyed nonetheless.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
The Witcher 3, there aren't many games that when they're over I feel like I've lost something. That game made every game after it for a long time feel like just a waste of time.

If I could chose a franchise then the Mass Effect Trilogy for the same reason but x3
Yeah man, Witcher 3 was a wild ride with an excellent pay off.
The 1st time I ran around Wild Orchids, entering Novigrad, entering Skellige, and saving Ciri was a feeling that hasn't been replicated in other games.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of Shadow of the Colossus, The Last of Us, or Persona 4. Part II might join the list, but I haven't finished that yet.

Brentos

Oct 28, 2017
I think puzzle games are an obvious choice for me personally: Portal 1/2, Antichamber, The Witness etc.

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
Red Dead 2, no question. The world , the characters, the story , traveling alone in the snowy northern parts of the map, visiting Saint Denis for the first time and the lovely camp moments .

venom slime

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
This one is hard for me because what I experienced when I was younger probably would have a very different effect and lasting appeal today (not referring to evolution of graphics or anything of the sort, just, I don't know, my overall artistic sensibilities and "time and place"). While being able to reexperience something like Knights of the Old Republic, Tokyo Xtreme Racer (1 & 2!), Mass Effect 1, Soul Calibur, Virtua Tennis, Fallout: New Vegas, Fighters Megamix or Metal Gear Solid 3 (Subsistence in my case) would most likely still be super incredible, other stuff I'm not so sure. World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy X, Vice City and Pokémon Silver also rank among my very favorite games of all time and yet I doubt that rediscovering them, without any prior knowledge, would rock my world today. That makes me a sad in a way and I can't quite explain why.

Marathoning through the Dragon Quest series was superb. If I could erase that from my memory (and the cute little slime I tattooed to celebrate my conclusion of that journey from my skin) and do it all over again I think I would.

Finally, judging by some of the picks here, I am really happy that I'm just now getting to experience stuff like Dark Souls and Bloodborne (and the SMT series in general). It has been pretty magical. :)

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
Panzer Dragoon Saga, What Remains of Edith Finch, The Last of Us, Shenmue and Final Fantasy VII (original).

Edit: Metroid Prime and Wind Waker too.