• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If PS5 is announced today with a price of...

• $499.99 -Its high but I'll buy at Launch.

Votes: 885 38.1%
  • $499.99 is a no go for me. I'll wait after price drops.

Votes: 574 24.7%
  • Pricing doesn't matter to me I'll buy it.

Votes: 796 34.3%
  • Other Pricing (your thoughts below)

Votes: 67 2.9%

• Total voters

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Price isn't really a concern for me, because I'm fortunate enough to still be employeed during all the shit going on. However, the aesthetics of the console are important. If it looks as dumb as the Series X, I'll probably wait for the first hardware revision.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty much set on buying it whatever. I'm kind of hoping it's not a surprise low price like $399 so I have more chance getting one at launch.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Voted "pricing doesnt matter" because $600 is my upper limit and theres no way its more than that. Expecting $500 tho

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
£399-£450 and i'll buy day one

If it stretches to the £500 mark ill have to see if there are any must have games at launch if not ill wait a while. I just cant justify £500 on a console that will be second to my PC anyway.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Unless you're in financial trouble which is obviously understandable, I find it funny how $100 can easily sway in a device that a person will use for 500 hundred hours if not more.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I don't think pricing or pre-order will be available today sadly. But, I would 100% put a credit card on file with Amazon if they offered that as a placeholder for a pre-order. When the price is released just hit my card and we are solid.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Totally fine paying 500$ for a console, we use these god damn things EVERY single day for at least 7-8 years.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Simply no interest in getting one right away. I'm already a generation or two behind on playing the games I have

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
For me its the principle of the thing. 400 isnt too bad but 500 is taking the piss and ill leave it.

/shrug
It's the exact type of thing I don't get... people don't do that for phones, coffee machines whatever... but consoles? Hell nah not gonna go a cent over the magical number I've got in my head!

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
if I can carry AND PLAY all my current PS4 library I'll be there no matter the price, otherwise I'll just wait a year or two.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the exact type of thing I don't get... people don't do that for phones, coffee machines whatever... but consoles? Hell nah not gonna go a cent over the magical number I've got in my head!

Well i don't carry 2-3 phones do i? I've got an Xbox, Switch and mainly a PC I don't really NEED a PS5.

If the price is ok and launch looks good ill pre-order for day 1....if its a bit steep i wont. Not that hard to understand tbh.

Feb 7, 2020
Assuming you mean 499 USD, OP - as a Canadian, that's way too fucking high for me. I can't justify paying what'll probably be 599 (like 700-something after tax) for a new video game console - that shit is just ridiculous, especially considering new games are now 90 bucks here in Canada.

If that's the case - I'll be waiting for a slim.
I'm not expecting to hear price announced today, but I am concerned about what Canadian pricing will be, especially with my cash flow being challenged by the pandemic.

$499 USD is ~$675 Canadian dollars right now. I'm not sure Sony would take the cash hit and make it 599 here if its 499 in the States. That is, of course, unless they try to bring down initial hardward price by subsidizing with a subscription model to a games service.

Either way, probably a holiday 2021 purchase for me.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Depends on the lineup. I'm not going to buy one just to buy one if the games aren't there.

I have a new PC that's running everything out there now with max quality, so if it's just a bunch of 3P stuff I'll play them there.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Plan is to wait at least 1 year after launch where I'll probably be able to get the console & 5 games for the same price.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm very lucky to be in a position where I can afford PS5 even if it comes out at £600. 2020 has been an absolute fucking dog, and I feel like the world, and my life is bleak and meaningless...... So fuck it, gimme dat PS5 no matter what. It's a stupid thing to be the one light at the end of the tunnel this year, but then, I'm a stupid person. Can't wait to get my hands on a new machine.

Oh, plus I have a 7 year old son, so this is his first generational leap, so I'm looking forward to sharing that with him.

Oct 25, 2017
Predicting a price of $550 or over.

I already have a PC at the estimated PS5 specs (outside of the SSD/3D audio chips/etc.) so I'm not really chomping at the bit for next-gen. Exclusives can suck it.

That being said, if I can sell the Xbox One X for a fair price...

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty fucking sure it's going to be $499 USD, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong if it's cheaper. Just like with the PS4, I'll be in no rush to buy it UNLESS they show me an extraordinarily strong launch window lineup. I think this conference will be amazing, I imagine it will be a lot like e3 2015/16, where it'll be a loooong term road map. I'll be there when the games I want are there.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I would be utterly shocked if the PS5 was under $499. I don't even think $599 is out of the question, though Sony would probably like to avoid that price for obvious reasons.

If this price is announced today, I'm gonna guess $549.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not doing $499 unless they have an astonishing launch lineup. The first 6 months of the PS4 were not really worth writing home about.

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Upto £600 and it'll be a day one purchase for me, any more than that then it'll be down to Microsoft whether or not the XSX will be my main console for next gen.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
It depends on what titles they have available at launch.

If it's $500 without any games I'm interested in I might wait for a bit.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
They won't announce pricing today.

I expect it to retail at £399 - £449 in the end and I'll probably buy one at launch ish if that's the case as much to get PS4 Pro performance on my existing library as anything (never did buy a Pro).

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
People are freaking out about price, but I give it a very low chance we see it today. It's not the right time yet. I give it like 60% chance of even seeing the box.
Agreed. Today is showing some big named games and visuals to build hype is my guess. I'm not expecting much else right now.

I also don't care how much it is, i'll be getting one regardless

May 15, 2019
Library and features matter a lot more to me than price. If they had full PS1 and 2 backwards compatibility I'd be there day one, with just PS4 bc I have basically no interest in the console unless they pull out a ton of interesting exclusives. (Which based on this gen I doubt)

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$499 isnt high... but will be far higher when the bastards through the supply chain want to make money before it's imported to me.
$499 US
is like
$699 here.

Oct 30, 2017
Unless it's a price that would be unfeasible for Microsoft to undercut, they ain't gonna announce it. There's literally no reason. The anticipation will only rise by not doing it.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the price really, really depends on what we get and what games it launches with. Weirdly, I think have backwards compatibility with potential upgraded versions may make me buy one even faster (mmm cyberpunk).

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm not sure. I've never bought, and kept, a $500 or greater console. I bought a launch PS3, but I flipped it. The most I've spent on a console, that I've kept, was $400 (360 and PS4). I guess it depends on how excited I get about the system. I was blown away by the PS4 and pre-ordered as soon as I could. But some of that is related to the $400 price tag.

A console would really have to blow me away to ignore a $500 price tag.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
I doubt the launch games will be good enough for me to justify a price point at 500 or more.

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018
I'm buying day one no matter the cost... I've spent lots on import hardware back in the day (£1000 for a JPN Launch PS2 anyone?) So I don't mind, I know the games will come and there's always something exciting about being there on launch...