• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
There used to be a car called a Chevrolet SS (Sports Sedan) that was produced until 2017, and if I'm not mistaken there is a model of Camaro know as the SS. Xbox SS isn't that far fetched, but I agree that they should not go with it.
Yeah, and that's disappointing too.

I never said MS would be the only ones to ever make this mistake, I would just be bothered if they did. Especially given the problems that already exist in the gaming community around the far-right and white supremacy.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
But but but but.. won't the green box confuse people with the previous generation, shouldn't they change colour too!?!

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won't that confuse people vs. the original Xbox? I know that's a legacy platform but I imagine people who walk into a store that sells retro games could get confused. Also that still doesn't seem like it was that old of a platform to me so it's weird that they'd do that to me.
So you're trolling, right? This is a troll thread?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Won't that confuse people vs. the original Xbox? I know that's a legacy platform but I imagine people who walk into a store that sells retro games could get confused. Also that still doesn't seem like it was that old of a platform to me so it's weird that they'd do that to me.
OG Xbox isn't the issue. It'd be weird for the label to just say Xbox since Xbox is a brand, so there would be confusion as to whether it would work on Xbox One too. I'd just put both 'Xbox Series X' and 'Xbox Series S' on the box.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda find I doubtful people won't use SX and SS like they use S and X now.

And yeah, it would if using SS for the Saturn was a common turn of phrase.
I don't think it's as big a deal as you're making it out to be nor do I think MS is going to abandon the S and X naming scheme next gen.

Nobody even uses abbreviations for Xbox. Everyone I see refers to it as the "One S" or "One X" not "XOS" and "XOX" or something.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In what way does writing 'Xbox' in your example affect the search functionality? In what way is that a detriment?
It's pretty simple. If you put "Xbox" in google you're going to pull up an endless list of Xbox-brand related stories, some related to the new console just due to it being a hot topic right now but otherwise completely haphazard. If you search "Xbox Series" or "Xbox Series X" you get stories targeted to the console. SEO 101, articles want to have higher rating in those more targeted search results. It behooves news sites to use specific terms like "Xbox Series" instead of "Xbox" to refer to the new console because it helps Google provide those articles to people actually searching for the Xbox Series console and game news.

And, continuing from that thought, it benefits Microsoft to offer a distinct brand name in that same way. So that people can target what they're looking for, so news sites can help that brand spread faster, so it all works together like an ecosystem.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
People or Microsoft?

I got tons of SS ranks in Devil May Cry. Era also likes to refer to it as Infamous SS. Nobody ever called it distasteful before.
If you think no one has ever expressed a distaste of using "SS" as a name for something not the Schutzstaffel, I don't know what to tell you. There is a reason the Secret Service takes their use of "USSS" as an acronym very seriously.

Anyway, it's fine if it doesn't bother you, and that it would bother me is not a sign that I believe it would make everyone at MS bad people. It would just be an ugly name for very clear reasons.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think it's as big a deal as you're making it out to be nor do I think MS is going to abandon the S and X naming scheme next gen.

Nobody even uses abbreviations for Xbox. Everyone I see refers to it as the "One S" or "One X" not "XOS" and "XOX" or something.
That's fine if you don't think it's a big deal, I never said you did. I said it would bother me.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I believe they will go with the Xbox label at the top and then specify somewhere else in the box the compatible machines. "Xbox Series" doesn't sound like a console name.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine if you don't think it's a big deal, I never said you did. I said it would bother me.
Well you assume people are going to abbreviate it like that when people usually don't. I doubt anyone is going to call them the "SX" and "SS". I think people are going to just call it the "Series S and Series X" or just the "S and X". But the S moniker is a common naming scheme in tech and Microsoft uses it all the time.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well you assume people are going to abbreviate it like that when people usually don't. I doubt anyone is going to call them the "SX" and "SS". I think people are going to just call it the "Series S and Series X" or just the "S and X". But the S moniker is a common naming scheme in tech and Microsoft uses it all the time.
I do think people will, and I especially think racist gamers will be happy to use that term.

If it's called that and the term isn't used, great. If it's not called that, also great.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
if a game is Xbox One compatible they will put on it... like they already do with Xbox 360? unless people cant read, thats not happening

iu
I had no idea this was a thing, wow.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
You figure a lot of people are going to walk into Dave's Retro Games, which also sells current releases I guess, and think "Oh damn, Halo: Infinite! I can tell from the $65 price tag and modern graphics on the back, that this is intended for use on my 17 year old console I still routinely use!"?

This is a scenario that strikes you as common enough to be worth worrying about?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Xbox
They just want to be known as a Xbox, you can buy in at any price point and have access to all the games just at different graphic fidelity

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
its going to end up saying "Series X" somewhere

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
The fact that there has been so much conversation around it mean it's a problem.
If they just called it Xbox 4 or Series 4 or anything else instead of using X and possibly S again, we wouldn't be seeing these threads.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think for launch the cases will say Xbox series x on them.

if They do end up launching a lower tier box (and I actually kind of doubt the lower tier box is even going to have a disc drive), they will put Xbox SX and SE or whatever they end up going with. I think after a couple years they will drop that and the cases will just say Xbox.

yes it is a bad name in my opinion but there are ways to work around it.

They should have gone with infinity or even XB5/V

I wouldn't be surprised to see a name change before launch. They announced this pretty low key. They have time to change the name if they want.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox
They just want to be known as a Xbox, you can buy in at any price point and have access to all the games just at different graphic fidelity
Yep.

"Oh what model do you have?"

"The S/X."

Not seeing this being a big deal. The One consoles are likely going to get phased out ASAP too

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
it's basically the DS family of systems at this point, in terms of complexity. which is brutal to explain, as I had to to a coworker who got a ds lite for her son the other day.

but yea, the box should say series x, or they come come up with a cute little logo for s, x, and s&x

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Putting just "Xbox" on the game cases would be false advertising. Not even false advertising, it would just be wrong.

By that point you'll have 50+ million Xbox Ones in homes with Microsoft still selling them. That means a bunch of people with Xbox systems trying to buy games that would say "Xbox" on them that wouldn't work.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
If you think no one has ever expressed a distaste of using "SS" as a name for something not the Schutzstaffel, I don't know what to tell you. There is a reason the Secret Service takes their use of "USSS" as an acronym very seriously.

Anyway, it's fine if it doesn't bother you, and that it would bother me is not a sign that I believe it would make everyone at MS bad people. It would just be an ugly name for very clear reasons.
Yeah, idk judging by the casual reactions here it might not be a problem in the US, I guess like KKK wasn't for a long time in Europe (I had a car with KKK and three figures on the plates), but it's not ideal at all world wide at this point when the extreme right is on the rise. Xbox SS would be an awful abbreviation.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think for launch the cases will say Xbox series x on them.

if They do end up launching a lower tier box (and I actually kind of doubt the lower tier box is even going to have a disc drive), they will put Xbox SX and SE or whatever they end up going with. I think after a couple years they will drop that and the cases will just say Xbox.

yes it is a bad name in my opinion but there are ways to work around it.

They should have gone with infinity or even XB5/V
I wonder if they'll have required specs like they do for PC, for example:

Min Specs: Xbox one S

Recommended Specs: Xbox Series S

Max Specs: Xbox Series X

I think we are going to see this even though the hardcore crowd doesn't like it.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
It'll just be Xbox. Might say something about 'enhanced with X' but that's it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think they'll stick Xbox on the front in one banner then all the rest in another banner and designate platforms as series themselves.

Xbox Series Classic - Original Xbox
Xbox Series 360 - Xbox 360
Xbox Series One - Xbox One/S/X
Xbox Series X - Series X, Series X Core

Each Series plays games that come before it. A nice backwards compatibility flow that is simple to understand.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ideally an Xcloud stream would start up.

This is a big question for me, on Halo Infinites launch day.. you should be able to play the Scarlett version on an Xbone through Xcloud.

Depends if they are building racks of Series X devices for Xcloud, as of now it's just Xbox One S. Maybe too early even late next year but I don't know.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
People are overthinking this way too much. I'm still of the opinion that the console will be called something like Xbox X2 or Xbox 2 X or whatever.

Xbox Series X, basically, a series of models belonging to the X subfamily of Xbox consoles. Similar to car model designations.
The first one being the Xbox One X, and the second one being whatever comes next year.

If rumours are to be believed that a cheaper version is also being worked on, it will probably be part of the S subfamily.

I have no actual info on this, before anyone goes bonkers.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
People are overthinking this way too much. I'm still of the opinion that the console will be called something like Xbox X2 or Xbox 2 X or whatever.

Xbox Series X, basically, a series of models belonging to the X subfamily of Xbox consoles. Similar to car model designations.
The first one being the Xbox One X, and the second one being whatever comes next year.

If rumours are to be believed that a cheaper version is also being worked on, it will probably be part of the S subfamily.

I have no actual info on this, before anyone goes bonkers.
I'm pretty sure "Series X" is the final name of this console... not much that would lead us to believe otherwise. The marketing materials all say "The New Xbox Series X"