• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should I be first?

• Yes

Votes: 87 6.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,241 93.4%

• Total voters

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
With covid, I ain't holding any doors for anyone.

I used to do it daily as well. Not worth it currently. Be slightly selfish and get them quick tacos.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
This is the brave new world we're living in. I dont hold doors or elevators anymore. The other day I got called asshole for not holding the elevator and I yelled back COVID!

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. You have forfeited your place in line. Most of the time, people let me go first anyway since I was polite enough not to slam the door in their face. But I don't get upset when the opposite happens.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
You open the door, let them walk in, then walk in behind them?

If I was the other person, I'd assume you wanted to be behind in the queue by choice, otherwise you'd have walked in first and held the door behind you.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
You hold the door open means you're behind them physically, so it would be weird for you to sprint in front of them and take your place in line in front of them.
If you hold open the door, and the person (without stopping) just walks to the counter to order ahead of you, that's normal and perfectly fine.

Dr. Feel Good Please confirm which side you're on.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
What happens when they cross the event horizon

I think we would need to know the entire future of politeness to correctly answer this question.

Alternatively, we'd enter a politehellworld where we'd experience all the times we could've been polite and experience intense cringe.

Nov 5, 2017
No. What's the point of you holding the door open for them if you're going through it first? The door would shut behind you, leading to them holding it open for you as you walk through and for them to walk through.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Not expected, but I'd let someone who held the door in front of me... It's not some sort of entitlement, though...

Also, what's the point of letting them in front of you if you're then going to be mad that they're in front of you?

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
You should, but you're not going to be. If you do that you have to accept you'll be behind said person/people in line. Unless they're really nice and say you can go first.

Oct 26, 2017
No, get inside and hold the door from there if you want to go first
This.
Why is OP stopping, holding the door open for somebody then allowing that person to pass them whilst they act like a doorman? In this scenario the normal thing to do is continue with opening the door yourself, pass through then hold the door until the next person gets their hand on it so you're not allowing the door to swing shut on them.

Exceptions would be if the person behind is somebody with a pram/stroller, somebody in a mobility scooter or with a disability/injury or somebody carrying something with both hands.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Holding the door open is something you do when you aren't in a rush, so of course you let them order first.

Also etiquette around holding the door since COVID is weird. I was gonna hold the door open for someone at the post office a few weeks ago and the dude literally stopped cold in his tracks and stared at me. I then went in and realized yeah, we probably shouldn't be getting in such close proximity when there is a deadly virus out there.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People, please stop holding open doors for me in the middle of a pandemic. I don't want to get that close to your ass. Seriously smh

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine holding the door for someone and then sprinting to reach the line first. 😂

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it in your constitution that your manifest destiny has the right to shit your pants first? usausausa

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
At Taco Bell specifically? No. Now you pull that shit at a Del Taco and you get prima nocta rights for sure.

Also I usually hold the door open BEHIND me as I enter (unless I'm with family or on a date, then I hold the door open for them). That way I avoid any confusion as to who's in first. 🤷‍♂️

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
How are you holding the door open, OP? I think it will help us come to conclusion about who goes first.

Fig.1
1503276812093.jpg

Fig. 2
63583891075005175510280983_holding-door-open.jpg

Fig. 3
holding-the-doors.jpg

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You were there first. Holding the door open for someone is a common courtesy. It's not that I expect reciprocation of any sort, that's not what I see being allowed in front to be. It's just not wanting to be the guy that shuts the door "in the face" when someone was right there about to get in. At least, I read OP as they're not even two seconds out.

Whoever's on the side of "yes, you should be in front, you were there already and just held door open," is correct in my eyes. That said, definitely hold doors from inside and not out.

People, please stop holding open doors for me in the middle of a pandemic. I don't want to get that close to your ass. Seriously smh

But yes, this lol. I'm talking for general, non-pandemic time.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, the other day a lady asked me to close her trunk for her (hands full) and looked at me weird when I waited for her to step away from it first.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
It's a double courtesy, in my opinion. You're letting them in and letting them ahead of you.

Seems pretty obvious. Anything else is overcomplicating the social contract.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
It's Taco Bell, how much of an inconvenience is another minute waiting on your food?

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
If your wanting to be before them in line then you hold the door long enough for the person behind you to take over.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think holding the door so someone can go in ahead of you means?

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Its stange to me that anyone would even think like that. Like I can get the person you let in letting you go ahead, but they honestly don't have to. And to just go ahead and place yourself in front would be weird as fuck my dude.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't know if expect is the right word, but they absolutely should let you go first as you gave them a courtesy and it should be reciprocated.

I hold the door for people all the time and I can't remember an incident in which the person did not return the favor. The poll results seem weird to me but maybe it's a regional thing.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
No. You allowed them in first. The line is first come first serve. Plus it's such an insignificant wait, that the thought would've never crossed my mind if I hadn't read this thread.

In fact, I'm pretty sure OP may be Larry David.

Oct 27, 2017
Who holds the door to let someone go first? You hold the door open for people behind you to not let it close in their face (which would be somewhat rude to let happen), but you're always in front of them.

Though in these pandemic days, the most polite thing you can do for someone is to stay as far away from them as possible, which kind of turns the whole thing on its head.