• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overworld or Nah?

• FF Overworld

Votes: 371 71.2%
  • FF Landmarks

Votes: 150 28.8%

• Total voters
Oct 30, 2017
I don't want it to be open world. But I do want it to find a way to get the same sense of exploration, traversing long distances and going to any town you want in any order. You can have similar elements, but what I dont want is fetch quests, hidden collectibles scattered, resource gathering and pretty much any other "open world" in the modern sense of the word bullshit you can think of. I'm really curious to how they will manage this part of the game.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be fine with linear progression, with a FF12 or DQ8/11 style overworld.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Poll added. Kinda surprised at how many people would be ok with no open world (overworld).

You kinda stacked the deck against yourself by using the wrong terminology. I think most people would prefer an OVERWORLD, but calling it 'open world' makes people think of FFXV's kind of open world, which FFVII could not possibly be done in.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original was super linear but it never felt that way when I was a kid. I hope it has some openness to it so that people's experiences differ from one another. I'm tired of open world games but I feel it's a must for RPGs.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It would be gross if FFVII Remake was open world. I don't want that shit. Even the most ardent Ubisoft fanboy doesn't want that shit.

That's the problem. It shouldn't be Ubisoft open world but FFX's world map style fucking sucked and FFXII's did too. The games need a sense of scale and continuity and just having the entire game world be a bunch of interconnected field maps with no actual connective tissue just ruins the experience, destroys sidequesting and makes exploration impossible.

FFVII needs an overworld. Period.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
it should have a map
but no I don't expect open world... that would be weird... I expect a tunnel like FFXIII ...

So I guess I'm not expecting much

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The original was super linear but it never felt that way when I was a kid. I hope it has some openness to it so that people's experiences differ from one another. I'm tired of open world games but I feel it's a must for RPGs.

All Final Fantasy games, and almost all RPGs as a whole, are really linear. It just helped that the old style overworlds gave an illusion of freedom.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
No open world sounds terrific and refreshing. BoTW lacks interesting dungeons, nothing is MGSV was as memorable as Big Shell or Shadow Moses, Attissia was the only place I remember in FF XV. A semi linear world more likely means each location is better developed. Kingdom Hearts 3 guided levels were very confortable to get into and very replayable.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Midgar ain't going to be open world. Expanded from it's original linearity a bit (in places) but I'd imagine the structure to be more like Uncharted 4 than Witcher 3/GTA. So dungeons and other segments can be fairly linear (with some branching paths/dead ends) and then there will be some city streets in Midgar that allow a bit of wandering around in the region of a few blocks and then it'll narrow down to a more linear section again. And exiting Midgar can offer a larger outdoor environment that is a bit more open world-ish, before it narrows down to a more linear path once you arrive to the next dungeon & town.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar ain't going to be open world. Expanded from it's original linearity a bit (in places) but I'd imagine the structure to be more like Uncharted 4 than Witcher 3/GTA. So dungeons and other segments can be fairly linear (with some branching paths/dead ends) and then there will be some city streets in Midgar that allow a bit of wandering around in the region of a few blocks and then it'll narrow down to a more linear section again. And exiting Midgar can offer a larger outdoor environment that is a bit more open world-ish, before it narrows down to a more linear path once you arrive to the next dungeon & town.

This is how Tales does it nowadays and it's just terrible. The "field" areas just feel like themed carnival zones you have to walk through instead of actually traversing a full world.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I expect a hybrid like FFXV, but I'd prefer a linear game/greatest hits of FVII & FFVII compilation titles.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
That's the problem. It shouldn't be Ubisoft open world but FFX's world map style fucking sucked and FFXII's did too. The games need a sense of scale and continuity and just having the entire game world be a bunch of interconnected field maps with no actual connective tissue just ruins the experience, destroys sidequesting and makes exploration impossible.

FFVII needs an overworld. Period.
When you say overworld you just mean a glorified map you can traverse with random battles and landmarks to visit, correct?

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I dun want it to be open world or to scale. All those things exist to do is crush pacing an make games so much longer to playthrough.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
It ain't final fantasy vii if I can't fly the highwind around and listen to that great music.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The old walkable globe map is still fun and could be brought up to today's standards with some creativity. I doubt square could manage to do that though.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'll be open world. Although it could potentially HAVE something that feels a lot like an open world. I'm really excited to see how they approach it.

I don't agree that's SE have tried to make FF a more linear experience though. Only Toriyama's games did that, and he's just the worst.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You kinda stacked the deck against yourself by using the wrong terminology. I think most people would prefer an OVERWORLD, but calling it 'open world' makes people think of FFXV's kind of open world, which FFVII could not possibly be done in.
Yeah I am realizing that I fubar'd the vocabulary. I am more referring to the "overworld" more than an "open world".

Would you be mad if there was no "overworld". Could a mod change the title to that?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I am realizing that I fubar'd the vocabulary. I am more referring to the "overworld" more than an "open world".

Would you be mad if there was no "overworld". Could a mod change the title to that?
Yeah, I'd be disappointed if there was no overworld and it was just some FFX-like corridors and map menu. Midgar needs to end with us entering an open space that offers a sense of "this journey is just beginning". It doesn't have to be massive, but just open enough that it offers some sense of exploration & traversal.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Hum I don't think we will have an open world map as FFXV but more like FFXII, zone-based map. But more large and detailled. And if they want put loading scene between zones in order to have detailled maps, I will be OK.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hum I don't think we will have an open world map as FFXV but more like FFXII, zone-based map. But more large and detailled. And if they want put loading scene between zones in order to have detailled maps, I will be OK.

You can't do airships or vehicles on FFXII-style maps, though. And vehicles are a huge part of FFVII.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
You can't do airships or vehicles on FFXII-style maps, though. And vehicles are a huge part of FFVII.

Well I did not play Spider-man on PS4 but I believe there is the subway scene that works as a loading scene for moving on other places. We could see the same thing in FFVIIR. But yeah, I'm curious how they will do for cars and airships.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If FF7R doesn't have me out and about in the overworld then they might as well just cancel this entire project right now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well I did not play Spider-man on PS4 but I believe there is the subway scene that works as a loading scene for moving on other places. We could see the same thing in FFVIIR. But yeah, I'm curious how they will do for cars and airships.

Right, you could have the vehicles just be a loading screen, but it kinda destroys any of the majesty of getting an airship or a submarine if all it is is just a glorified loading screen, y'know? The Highwind moment in FFVII was a huge deal!

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm at a phase where I would rather be disinterested if any video game was open world.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting the poll options to be "Yes" and "No", but now I'm just confused.