• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
I'm conflicted on this. On the one hand, I think that the information she leaked is very, very important and that a lot of hate directed towards her is based on resentment from the US because of that. On the other hand, her current actions seem to make very little sense, and are even counterproductive both to her and her exposee.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i also expect someone with deeply traumatic experiences in her very recent past to be making perfectly rational decisions that serve her long-term best interests and provide aid to the state entity that tortured her for years

Sugaree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate point of comparison
... but she did expose war crimes. Right?

If a woman who exposed war crimes isn't a hero in your worldview, then you may want to re-evaluate your worldview.

So if a person stops a crime but also later commits a crime, they should be treated as a hero? Uhh ok...

I guess if a soldier rapes civilians but then also protects a child from a bomb he should gain immunity and is a hero according to you...good to know

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Her current actions prove that her earlier actions were motivated not by patriotism but misguided anarchy

Sugaree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
i also expect someone with deeply traumatic experiences in her very recent past to be making perfectly rational decisions that serve her long-term best interests and provide aid to the state entity that tortured her for years

Yes. Stanning for the alt right is now defensible if someone suffered terrible experiences.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if a person stops a crime but also later commits a crime, they should be treated as a hero? Uhh ok...

I guess if a soldier rapes civilians but then also protects a child from a bomb he should gain immunity and is a hero according to you...good to know
it's not just fucking disgusting that you're comparing this to rape but incredibly stupid on a level i rarely see, even in this benighted hellhole

bravo

Oct 31, 2017

Yeah, given that she was in solitary confinement, which I consider to be a form of torture especially when it lasted as long as it did, we can hardly expect sound, grounded decisions.

jml

Mar 9, 2018

What the hell?

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know it was fine to do shit that puts people in danger if nothing happens to them.

Guess all those death threats against women journalists don't have credibility like that gamergater said.
if you actually cared about journalists being in danger you'd support her release of the video showing US troops gunning down a camera crew from an attack helicopter

but it's pretty clear that you don't and are just using some vague accusation as an ethical pawn

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her current actions prove that her earlier actions were motivated not by patriotism but misguided anarchy
The massive contrast with Snowden in how she handled the release of the material always been unkind to her.
the US government admitted on the record that her leaks did not get anyone killed or even harmed, i believe
And now you choose to believe them? They would never say otherwise unless their hand was forced. If you fire a loaded gun in public and it doesn't hit anyone, you still get in trouble.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you actually cared about journalists being in danger you'd support her release of the video showing US troops gunning down a camera crew from an attack helicopter

but it's pretty clear that you don't and are just using some vague accusation as an ethical pawn

I'm not sure there's anyone that doesn't support the decision to leak that video.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You think I can't support both?

When asked about what they released Assange laughed and said that informants to the government deserved to die, so who really cares about innocents here?

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

At what cost did she expose us for war crimes? Is it your preferred alternative that she had never come forward, and so those murders would have never been made public?

The comparison between rape and a refusal to testify against the journalist who broke her leaked footage is fucking despicable. What are you doing here?

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes?

They're intrinsically linked dawg
so what happened is that manning provided assange with a giant data dump. she was mostly concerned with getting as much as she could before she got caught. this is normal for people leaking classified or confidential information, and they trust the publisher they're working with to go through the data and put out what's in the public interest. wikileaks didn't do that, but 1) again, nobody was harmed or killed as a result and 2) that's still not a good reason to jail manning.

julian assange is a massive egomaniacal piece of shit and manning was wrong to trust him, that's clear. she should not be in jail.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, given that she was in solitary confinement, which I consider to be a form of torture especially when it lasted as long as it did, we can hardly expect sound, grounded decisions.
This comment would probably be bannable if it was said in reference to her failed Senate bid rather than this nonsense. She's an adult, she can make dumb adult decisions like every other sovereign citizen.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so what happened is that manning provided assange with a giant data dump. she was mostly concerned with getting as much as she could before she got caught. this is normal for people leaking classified or confidential information, and they trust the publisher they're working with to go through the data and put out what's in the public interest. wikileaks didn't do that, but 1) again, nobody was harmed or killed as a result and 2) that's still not a good reason to jail manning.

julian assange is a massive egomaniacal piece of shit and manning was wrong to trust him, that's clear. she should not be in jail.
Than she should fucking testify

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Refusing to testify in front of a grand jury after given a lawful order to do so would get anyone put in jail.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is where I'm confused. How is granting immunity fucking with somone?
It's because she doesn't want to testify against Assange and co. The rationale is a pretext. It's why she was comfortable hanging out with alt-right types- Assange is very much one of those types and WikiLeaks is filled with them.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
It's because she doesn't want to testify against Assange and co. The rationale is a pretext. It's why she was comfortable hanging out with alt-right types- Assange is very much one of those types and WikiLeaks is filled with them.

It really doesn't matter what she wants to do. She got called to testify. She got granted immunity just so she could testify. You turn it down, you go to jail.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

Since that incident with 'crashing' the alt-right party which she had said was a foolish attempt to gather intelligence, has she been hanging out with them?

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Given everything we now know about Wikileaks, it's certainly something to see her throwing her life away for Julian Assange.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
what she did is already part of the public record. the government is doing nothing but fucking with her at this point, it's disgusting and serves no purpose.
I'm more than happy to criticize the government and their horrific treatment of Manning, but we know that Wikileaks is a heavily corrupt organization being rolled by a narcissistic sociopath. Of which Manning might have more incredibly valid information, esp. for any further investigations that have been spurred as a result of the Mueller investigation.

She's been granted full immunity to testify in court and she's turning it down to effectively protect Wikileaks, even if they're going to go over a lot of the same information she's already given them.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

This was how I was looking at her actions lately. Well not so much the alt right stuff but her seeming willingness to die on this hill over what seems to be not much.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Jeez when did the rides turn on her? She was massively popular and everybody was super excited when she was released.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Man i've been meaning to read up on this but still haven't. I should get on it.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
She's not well, and for that reason the judge should back off because it's only going to be cruel on her and not actually lead to the result they're looking for.

Mjolnir

Alt account
Banned
May 2, 2019
I never understand why otherwise well-meaning people end up sounding like reactionary Fox News hosts whenever Chelsea Manning comes up. I guess translives who expose US war crimes don't matter and deserve torture?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never understand why otherwise well-meaning people end up sounding like reactionary Fox News hosts whenever Chelsea Manning comes up. I guess translives who expose US war crimes don't matter and deserve torture?
Being Trans does not suddenly grant someone a get out of legal responsibilities card. She has been given full immunity and all she has to do is sit down for a day or two and answer questions then she goes about her life. Its bullshit to claim that this somehow violates her rights or tortures her. Lots has changed since she last testified. She claims it will just be the same questions all over again and a waste of time. The understanding of who and what Assange and Wikileaks is etc. has drastically changed yet Manning still wants to pretend Assange is some Hero we should applaud.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because she's being an idiot and refusing to testify against a shell organization that was founded by a dude she had a crush on like 8 years ago?

She's an idiot and it's time to stop giving her attention, likely for her own sake.

I haven't kept up with Chelsea Mannings travails, but what is this hostility and moral puritanism based on? genuinely curious. What beef to liberals have with her?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I for one am glad that there are people in this world who are willing to put themselves in harms way in order to bring to light information that the world ought to know. And I find it difficult to shed a tear for the people who initiate vendettas against those whistleblowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.