• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Now this was a squad.
1115037.jpg

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
I have a treasure trove of 90's comics in two longboxes, in my garage. Will bust them out when I get home.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
In the 90s my sister dated a guy who inked the edgiest comic I've ever seen. I need to go see if I still have a copy.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
While this was my era of comics, I loved it at the time, and I guess I can muster some nostalgia for it—I mostly just feel it sucks at this point.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
I rarely read comics, but I remember one in particular that featured Carnage and it was really gory. It summarizes the 90's for me in terms of edgyeness.
most-violent-carnage-comics

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
It's really hard to top Shadowhawk in this category. Guy is infected with HIV by mobsters so to take revenge he becomes a vigilante whose calling card is leaving criminals paralyzed by breaking their spines.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After some aliens came to Earth and sucked out spinal fluid, some people gained powers. Some of them went on to form...

The Blood Pack

latest

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
90s Image can fill so much of this thread.
But 90s Image should not be part of your life. They significantly improved later, but 90's Image was really bad. All flash, no substance.
I would most definitely recommend sticking with Marvel for edgy 90s. Punisher was great and Wolverine is GOAT.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Goro Prince of Pain was the greatest. When he dug up his giant gun in the desert... Pretty much sums up that 90's edge.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I like how it has Nerf darts being belt fed into it the best.
I'm a fan of it being both belt fed and has a magazine clip.

I can't wait to get into the 90s in comics. I remember browsing the covers at our small town grocery store. I still have a few loose unprotected comics floating around an x-men, pt1 of separation anxiety, and Spawn and Batman I think. I also used to have the final days of Punisher. The one with the real life photo of a face bandaged punisher. I think I looked at and read wizard magazine more often than comics.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
When they tried to turn Daimon Hellstrom into a edgy 90s badass...

latest

By cheating on his comatose wife and being all nearly evil and stuff.

Then decided to back it up a bit and make him the Marvel answer to Hellblazer

61wD1dGZJYL._AC_.jpg

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
What is it about the 90s edge specifically that is so funny? It's hardly the only embarrassing phase comics have gone through. Is it the complete lack of self awareness? It's like this absolute perfect touchstone of how dumb the industry was at the time that everyone can agree upon.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Lets dont forget Fate…
Fate-Retailer-Poster-1994.jpg

No. Nonononono, this did not exist. They did not melt down Fate's helmet and turn it into a dagger for this dude. Nope.

The most amazing thing is that Starman somehow launched out of the crap that was Zero Hour (R.E.B.E.L.S. did too but it was just a continuation of L.E.G.I.O.N. so I don't count it). Seriously: Extreme Justice, shoulder pad Manhunter, Fate, Primal Force, and Xenobrood were the other "launches."

Oh, and right before this, they set up this X-force-like spin off of Teen Titans called "Team Titans" and then completely retconned and destroyed them for Zero Hour.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
JL27iZE.jpg

Frank Miller's Hard Boiled is pretty edgelord but Geof Darrow's brilliant art takes it to very surreal and absurd places. I love it

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
What is it about the 90s edge specifically that is so funny? It's hardly the only embarrassing phase comics have gone through. Is it the complete lack of self awareness? It's like this absolute perfect touchstone of how dumb the industry was at the time that everyone can agree upon.

I think it's the lack of self awareness, yeah

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017

All explained in this video, by watching Stan Lee's soul swiftly leave his body.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
All explained in this video, by watching Stan Lee's soul swiftly leave his body.

Nah it's always fun watch Stan basically Columbo these guys. They think he's just an out of touch old man when in reality he's clowning on them very hard as a veteran of the business who knows this won't last as a fad.

OP
OP
data west

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Nah it's always fun watch Stan basically Columbo these guys. They think he's just an out of touch old man when in reality he's clowning on them very hard as a veteran of the business who knows this won't last as a fad.
Eh, Todd's made a successful empire out of it and Venom's one of the most popular Marvel characters there is.