• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'd be down for a RE-REmake but I don't think I'd want it in first person.

Only if they make it first person.

I'd totally be up for an optional first person/VR mode just as much as I'd be down for a fixed camera mode as an option.

I think first person would be a unique and interesting way of playing it.

Personally I'd want over the shoulder to be the main view like RE2R. But I'd be down for first person and fixed camera options on those games too.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I'm absolutely with OP there. It would be a dream game. Same should happen with 0 and especially CV

RE8 has a similar look as Code Veronica (the castle looks like the Ashford estate and the Spencer Mansion had a baby)

Code Veronica has a part where the Antarctic Base has a Spencer Mansion level so could definitely share assets and resources.

And RE0 RE, Code Veronica and RE8 could all share assets.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I mean it's cause the Spenser mansion is the best level design they ever managed with these games and the crimson heads is the best obstacle they've implemented that works really well with the level design.

Tbh it's hard to think of how any game could be better than a fully committed FPS vr Remake of RE1. Implement some cool corpse burning interactions and more interesting ways of finding fuel and you've got a recipe for a masterpiece

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'm only interested if its first person.

Over the shoulder third person would require too much level modification. It can't portray the same sense of claustrophobia.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love it.

Take the REmake layout and give us the OTS perspective.

Make Lisa and Yawn stalkers with more staying time than Mr X and Nemesis.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
This is what's going to happen with FF7 Remake, isn't it? People will just ask for the remake of the remake. We will never escape "the most wanted remake ever".

But yeah, REmake is certainly old enough that it could get another remake and not really feel unnecessary. Especially given how transformative VR is, though VR certainly wouldn't be mandatory for a REREmake that still feels justified.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Count me in for a REmake in style of the last two remakes. It would be amazing.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I just recently got around to playing RE HD for the first time and I couldn't agree more. RE4 was my first game in the series, so I was hesitant to go backwards and fight with tank controls. In the end, RE HD ended up being one of my favorite games in the whole series but I would absolutely love to see it in the style of RE2 remake.

Give me a third person, over the shoulder camera though. In the style of RE2 remake where you can spin it around your character while running.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
Makes sense, the first remake has aged well, but another remake could make it even better.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
I've loved every other game made in RE-engine so why not

It's actually called B-engine in japan

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is what's going to happen with FF7 Remake, isn't it? People will just ask for the remake of the remake. We will never escape "the most wanted remake ever".
It already is? People still want a FF7 remake that's turn-based and follows the original story.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The original Remake is one of the greatest games of all time. But so is the RE2 Remake.

I am 100% on board for a RE2-style remake of the first game. I want the mansion to get the RE2 precinct treatment in its level design. Give it another floor and make it even more metroidvania-y.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love it.

Take the REmake layout and give us the OTS perspective.

Make Lisa and Yawn stalkers with more staying time than Mr X and Nemesis.
Oh god please anything but this. Mr. X get's annoying after the first playthrough...hell even during your first one. What makes Lisa a great addition to REmake it's the fact that you don't have to deal with her all the time but you can hear her being around from time to time and when you do actually encounter her it gets terrifying in some extend

Having to deal with the consequences of Yawn being around the mansion would be nice for puzzle interactions and such

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could see them remaking 1 and zero in 3rd-person after they finished remaking 4 and code veronica.

But 1 is to short so i think they will try to make a new game with the story from 1 and zero in one game.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
You're not crazy op, but I want it for different reasons.
I want it in the style of the RE2 and RE3 remake titles, so that we eventually will have RE1-RE4 in a similar format allowing fans to break into the series very easily.

I totally agree. I'd love to replay RE 1 with modern controls. But I'd also love to play a REmake version of RE 2 and 3, and I doubt Capcom will give us those. Hopefully an inspired fan will deliver someday.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
How do you folks feel about the inventory systems in Resident Evil games?

Playing through RE HD for the first time, my biggest complaint was the lack of inventory space. I felt like I needed to devote at least half of my space to puzzle items at any given time. As a result I was constantly backtracking to item boxes because I was missing something I needed.

My biggest gripe was mixing the chemicals for Plant 42 as you need SO MUCH SPACE for bottles. I didn't feel challenged by that, just annoyed because I kept backtracking to the item box.

Personally, I felt like RE2 remake had a good mix on this front. Puzzle items took up space, but I never had so many that I felt I had to leave some behind. Idk if they changed puzzles/placement from the original game for that, but it felt perfect.

Personally, I'd like to see an RE remake keep the same amount of puzzles/item box placement. Just copy RE4 instead and let me have unlimited inventory for key items. It would still be a challenge to piece together what goes where, and I think they could get away with cutting your weapon/health inventory size to keep the challenge as a result.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I want a RE Remake in 3rd person we have had it done in fixed cam 2 times now.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I want it, but in REmake 2&3 style. I'd love for them to go crazy and add a bunch of new areas, to explore.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GxMCzDI2ntLLD21wIoeP-SfYGVwDVEAYKXyiZZGhQV3XyCgRqnKYUDGzqN6DdkUnOpSv-LFkoQvStymIaEiD0y2JT8o

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'd take it if it were made in FP this time.

Not only helps to differentiate from the originals better, but also fully achieves how oppressive and claustrophobic RE1's atmosphere is. Plus, didn't even get to seeing all those tiny little details up close.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
You're not crazy op, but I want it for different reasons.
I want it in the style of the RE2 and RE3 remake titles, so that we eventually will have RE1-RE4 in a similar format allowing fans to break into the series very easily.

Agreed. I made a thread after RE2make saying dream RE title is basically RE1 in that style, not any other games.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I want this very much in the style of RE2R. The more new Jill, the better. Make the tutorial exploring Bravo team's helicopter crash, and flesh out the mansion even more.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Give me first person RE1. The tight corridors of the environments in that game would be perfect for the claustrophobic RE7 first person view.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
First post nailed it, I think. I'd prefer the RE2/3-remake style of game.

But first-person has its merits, too, especially after the last two (one and upcoming) showed how well they can pull it off.

I think it'd be really tricky to pull off both, though. A simple view toggle wouldn't be enough, there's other gameplay differences between 2/3 and 7/8.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
You are BRILLIANT :-)))
It's brilliant, all what's needed now is a composer to create some spine tingling music.

First person doesn't really require a soundtrack if the aim is to be immersive like RE7. But something cinematic like fixed camera definitely needs a creepy soundtrack.

Your work is nothing short of fantastic. Just wish there was someone at Capcom thinking "hmmm maybe we should release official fixed camera DLC called "Classic Mode" for our RE Engine games with added soundtrack, rebalanced gameplay and limited ink ribbons.

Haha wow thanks! I really appreciate the kind words. I'm just trying to keep fixed angle alive, that's my main motivation for making these concept vids. Glad people enjoy watching them.

Aki

Mar 20, 2020
I would love this, I tried to play REmake HD 3 times and I can't get into the tank controls and fixed camera angles at all. If they could make this one into a TPS like REM2&3 then I could finally play the whole series with modern controls and that sweet engine!

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
As my favorite RE game to play thus far, I would be totally down for a RER2-style remake for REmake.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
First post nailed it, I think. I'd prefer the RE2/3-remake style of game.

But first-person has its merits, too, especially after the last two (one and upcoming) showed how well they can pull it off.

I think it'd be really tricky to pull off both, though. A simple view toggle wouldn't be enough, there's other gameplay differences between 2/3 and 7/8.

I'd much prefer a DLC mode with rebalanced gameplay and new music to suit the fixed camera. Such as the old school aiming system or a crosshair to automatically appear on the nearest enemy and you can fine-tune using the analogue stick.

Paid DLC of course. I'd also pay good money for a RE2:R Director's Cut that would remix things by giving us a proper Scenario A and B and make sense of the boss battles since both scenarios you face almost the same boss enemies.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care if its RE1, RE4, or something new, I would kill for a new game that makes me feel the same way as RE2make. RE3make didn't hit the same but I still need it.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
What is wrong with everybody? The Resident Evil remake is a much better game and a much better remake than the Resident Evil 2 or 3 remakes.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've said a very similar thing in other RE threads, so you're not alone!

I differ from your pitch though, in that I'd like it to take the approach of the recent RE2 & 3 remakes. 3rd-person, over the shoulder, fully 3D environments. I love classic RE, but I don't need to go back to fixed camera. I enjoyed and adapted to it at the time, I simply prefer the newer RE2/3 Remake camera system better at this point. I wouldn't mind first-person either, just not my first choice.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Hated RE7 last thing we need is more of that. Just need to create a first person mod, and a mod to make you move like you have lead boots on and you'll be close to that RE7 experience in the REmake lol

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll happen to keep it more cohesive with 2 and 3. It would be interesting if they were able to design it in such a way that it would work in 3rd person ots like 2 and 3 remake, first person like VII and VIII or with fixed camera angles like the original. But that doesn't seem super feasible.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I've said a very similar thing in other RE threads, so you're not alone!

I differ from your pitch though, in that I'd like it to take the approach of the recent RE2 & 3 remakes. 3rd-person, over the shoulder, fully 3D environments. I love classic RE, but I don't need to go back to fixed camera. I enjoyed and adapted to it at the time, I simply prefer the newer RE2/3 Remake camera system better at this point. I wouldn't mind first-person either, just not my first choice.

Hmmm I think I'm confusing people in that I actually want to go in the direction of the RE2 and 3 remakes...

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm I think I'm confusing people in that I actually want to go in the direction of the RE2 and 3 remakes...
Ahhhh! Ok. Yeah, I got confused when I read your original post then.

When I started playing the PS4 port of REmake a month ago...I kept thinking how I would love to have the RE2 Remake treatment to that version of the game. I adore REmake so much (I had a Japanese CameCube and imported it when it originally released!), but it's also starting to show it's age with the low resolution of the backgrounds, menus, etc. I'm sure it's low on their list of things to do, seeing as RE4 or Veronica remasters could come first.

I can still dream though!

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah! The only RE remake I want more than 1's is Code Veronica's.

We deserve to have a fully explorable Mansion in 3D, preferably with VR support. Do it Capcom!

Dec 2, 2020
Can you play the first REmake with the items in the original places or is it a remix by default?

Just interested in general why do people think the remix and REmake is a better game outside of visuals?

I played the original at launch and loved it but was put off at GameCube launch by them changing a lot of stuff. Might give it another go on PS4.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I also think it would be nice for a "fixed camera" mode.

I didn't really agree with most of what you said but that's whatever...

BUT I wholeheartedly agree with this!

Ive been wanting this for years. It would have been so cool to unlock a fixed-perspective mode in RE7 and the 2 and 3 Remakes just for fun. That way if it's hard or broken, it'd just be there for fun.

I get that'sprobably be more work than it's worth, but it'd still be pretty cool for all us old school fans!

(As an aside, I'd love to see what a fixed camera prerendered background game [like old RE, Onimisha, Dino Crisis] built from the ground up on new consoles would look like! I wish!)

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
I want this more than anything just to get rid of that Lisa Trevor segment and keep things like they were in the original. That added fluff reads like a bad fanfic.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They'd probably cut Neptune, the spiders (including black tiger), and turn Plant 42 into just an environmental puzzle. I'd rather they not and just keep porting REmake going forward (preferably bundled with the OG RE1).

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I would absolutely love this. They did mention they would consider doing a remake of REmake, so I hope they follow through some day and it's like the RE2 and 3 remakes.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just worry Capcom would ruin it by shoving in some stalker mechanic - maybe lisa trevor or something. I love RE2 remake (currently playing through it again), but Mr X just gets annoying
If anything I'd want a remake just so they could yank the whole Trevor family story out. It felt like horrible padding during my playthrough.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
REmake may be my GOAT but I'd definitely be down for another remake done in the style of REmake 2 and 3. I think they would need to rethink lighting choices for atmosphere reasons from switching to a traditional orbiting tps camera (or for a first person), an overall more dimly lit mansion could go a ways towards making things retain tension and creepiness.

Like you said, expanding on certain areas would be a good move too. The game may feel smaller without this, fixed angles tend to inflate one's sense of space in the world at large imo, your brain fills in gaps. When it's all there in front of you to see via free look it may end up making things seem a lot more confined.

My question would be, does Code: Veronica deserve a remake in the style of 2 and 3? I think they could make some good qol changes while maybe editing out the not so strong parts. As maligned an entry as it was it still really sucked me in for the og Dreamcast release, it could end up being a great game with the right changes.