• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It is exactly like it. The haptic feedback works with exactly the same tech. It's even programmed into the games in exactly the same way (Haptic feedback/HD Rumble motions are programmed in as sound files).
They both use voice coils for 1-to-1 dynamic vibration, but that's the extent of their similarities. Dualsense has a different type of voice coil actuator that has way better dynamics, directionality, and intensity. Plus you pair it with the adaptive triggers - which Switch has no comparison to - to truly give a brand new type of experience.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is exactly like it. The haptic feedback works with exactly the same tech. It's even programmed into the games in exactly the same way (Haptic feedback/HD Rumble motions are programmed in as sound files).

No, it doesn't lol.

Nintendo uses smaller rectangular LRA motors from Alps, whilst Sony is using newer gen much larger cylindrical VAC motors from Foster.

The funny thing is that the new VAC motor that Sony uses from Foster, must be very new, because its model designation and design is actually beyond anything in their current publicly available part numbers listings for such motors.

Just look at the motor, size, placement and footprint differences between the motors used in both controllers.

There's a reason journalists have described the DualSense's haptics as considerably better.

1s4prAWaFKZsUUBE.huge

Rr5wLXLyZUrQr656.huge

fomalhaut-2.jpg

D2-Uja-Dgs3-XDWj-Fl-P-medium.jpg

Screenshot-20201031-044614-You-Tube-01-01-01.jpg

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The controller seems to be the biggest difference with 3rd party games. PS5 loading is barely faster, you need a stopwatch to appreciate it. And XSX performance is barely better, you need a magnifying glass to see it. And there's no real reason to believe the 3rd party performance gaps will widen with time.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It is exactly like it. The haptic feedback works with exactly the same tech. It's even programmed into the games in exactly the same way on both consoles (Haptic feedback/HD Rumble motions are programmed in as sound files).

Developers will always code for the lowest common denominator however; and few developers will ever really take advantage of platform specific features for multiplatform releases (be it haptics or any other features like gyro controls). That's just the nature of multiplatform development; individual platform features just can't be a priority in development.

Having used both, I feel like they are in no way comparable. DualSense has a lot of directionality to it. The Astro demo where you slide the bots inside your controller really shows this off. The Switch feels more like your typical iPhone.

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I will switch from xbox elite to Dualsense in FPS games at least, doesn't matter how good it feels.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
No, it doesn't lol.

Nintendo uses smaller rectangular LRA motors from Alps, whilst Sony is using newer gen much larger cylindrical VAC motors from Foster.

The funny thing is that the new VAC motor that Sony uses from Foster, must be very new, because its model designation and design is actually beyond anything in their current publicly available part numbers listings for such motors.

Just look at the motor, size, placement and footprint differences between the motors used in both controllers.

There's a reason journalists have described the DualSense's haptics as considerably better.

1s4prAWaFKZsUUBE.huge

Rr5wLXLyZUrQr656.huge

fomalhaut-2.jpg

D2-Uja-Dgs3-XDWj-Fl-P-medium.jpg

Screenshot-20201031-044614-You-Tube-01-01-01.jpg
Those pictures makes me wonder if it is possible to update the Joycons with the same implementation at all. Those motors seem a tad too large. Pro controller could get it easily, but they won't do it unless you can put it in the Joycons too.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I was going multiplatform on Xbox but after using the ps5 for two days, that's probably going to change due to the dualsense and even faster load times. I'll stick with multiplayer games on Xbox with friends probably.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's definitely a factor in games that use the haptic triggers properly such as Dirt 5 and Astrobot. If not I'd still vastly prefer the Elite v2.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
2K21's implementation of the Dualsense during post battles and fatigue is fantastic.

Count me in on this hype train.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's very exciting even if the future reality is relatively minor/mild utilization of it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Those pictures makes me wonder if it is possible to update the Joycons with the same implementation at all. Those motors seem a tad too large. Pro controller could get it easily, but they won't do it unless you can put it in the Joycons too.

Don't think it's feasible with the current profile and available space in the Joycons, but with slightly wider handles I think it could be made to fit inside a Pro variant controller.

There's already a fair amount of empty space around the LRA motors in the Switch Pro. But as you stated, it's not happening unless the Joycons could get it too.

s-l1600.jpg

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Nah. I like the symmetrical sticks just fine. Slightly better than offset sticks even.
Nah, the stick layout is perfect.
Note I said make a VERSION with offset sticks. Ain't trying to take the (wrong) stick placement away. Just a second SKU. While i am getting a 5, I literally sat out the 4 gen because I hated the controller that much. Was better than the DS3 though. Those were the worst, IMO. Weighed like 2 ounces.

At least the form factor seems a bit heftier on the DualSense. I like some weight to my controller. Like the pro controller has the sticks more in the "right" spot, but it's so damn light. The Xbox ones never feel like cheap toys. They always feel nice and solid. Especially the elites, but of course you pay for that.

I feel like i will enjoy the new triggers and feedback though. I love being able to set the triggers to my liking on my Elite V2, and the feedback in something like Forza Horizon 4 is great and this suggests it goes beyond that. I'm also very curious to see how the sound works in the DS5 Firsthand. Hard to tell on YouTube.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Don't think it's feasible with the current profile and available space in the Joycons, but with slightly wider handles I think it could be made to fit inside a Pro variant controller.

There's already a fair amount of empty space around the LRA motors in the Switch Pro. But as you stated, it's not happening unless the Joycons could get it too.

s-l1600.jpg
Clearly it is time for some EXTRA THICC joycon revisions

Although perhaps they could just go the motion plus route with something like this
51Jrq-sVliL._AC_SX679_.jpg

All that assuming that linear actuators are physically incapable of achieving parity with those VACs with newer and slightly bigger iterations or that more compact VACs are not feasible.

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Nah. I like the symmetrical sticks just fine. Slightly better than offset sticks even.

To me symmetrical sticks are perfect, offset sticks are much more uncomfortable playing with only one hand.
I don't have a big hand, the closer the sticks together, the better, and the more horizontal the better to not be out of balance reaching the triggers with the little finger.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm curious what you all thing-- if you have both consoles, does the DualSense make you more likely to buy all multiplats (at least ones that support the features) on the PS5 rather than the XSS/XSX?

It depends on the game. I think for example with Fortnite you're now at a disadvantage against other players.

For example I play the new version of it on Series X and apart from the better graphics, loading and animation it is the same game it was before pretty much as the controller isn't much different.

Yet I play it on PS5 and where beforehand I could just press the trigger to shoot on series x, you now have to press it down harder as there is a certain stiffness to it. It somewhat is blocking you from firing your gun easily, so the other players will shoot you whilst you're trying to pull back on the triggers and finding it harder than ever before to do so. So I guess its a cool feeling and adds to the atmosphere but you're now firing your guns slower.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I love it. I'm playing Demon's Soul and noticed that the controller has a distinct rumble when an enemy is throwing a firebomb. Now I have an additional sensory input to react to; I'll instinctively roll back when I feel this rumble and don't see any enemy.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't have xbox, but I agree.

I'm honestly finding playing PS4 games underwhelmingq because they don't use dualsense and don't have super fast loading...

Spiderman MM's web swinging is definitely enhanced by the resistance on the triggers.

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
Yeah I'm in this boat now and it's caught me by surprise. Last gen I bought all multi platform on the OneX but the feedback triggers on the dual sense for CoD are brilliant and I'm now thinking I'll be getting multi platform games on the PS5 just for this feature tbh - assuming the performance delta continues to be minimal is part of the equation. I've signed up to Games Pass for the 1st so my XSX will be mostly retro games and the occasional Xbox exclusive.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Skill up may have had a point when he said that very popular quote about the 2 consoles. "2 next gen consoles, but only 1 next gen controller" Maybe it's early in the gen, but looks like the performance between the 2 consoles in multiplats is negligible. Makes sense. People had already been saying the power difference is smaller than the One X and Pro. So the biggest difference this gen will be the controller. Of course the games as well.

Edit: I got to say it's crazy how Astrobots was really able to replicate what it feels like to be in water when you're swimming. I could have sworn it felt like there was water splashing around in my controller.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I finally got my PS5 today, i have to say i wasn't as impresed by the haptics but the triggers blew my mind.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I have both consoles. I'm sticking with Xbox for multiplats mostly for my Elite controller and quick resume. I jump between games slot and quick resumes is a huge quality of life improvement.

Dualsense is cool though.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
It is really nice. Playing Astros for the first time and seeing all the stuff it could do was just super fun and enjoyable (the triggers moreso than the haptics for me, when the haptics are pushed too hard it just feels like rumble but the subtle stuff is great).

But it's only been a day. That novelty factor is still very strong. In the long term will I be as enthralled or will it just be like regular rumble (something that doesn't even register for me anymore).

But as for switching for multiplats, it becomes a question of do I want to play this game with my friends, or do I want better triggers? It's not a simple problem for a lot of people who currently have xbox as their main platform. I have people on my xbox live friends list from Halo 2 in 2004 that I still play with. Also you may not care about your achievement score or trophy count but a lot of folks do.

I think for me what will happen is I'll continue to enjoy the PS exclusives with it (which will no doubt make the best use), and I'll take each multiplat game on a case by case basis. If it's single player and the difference is absolutely transformative then I can see doing this. But if it's on gamepass then you can forget about it, obviously.

I am happy and feel privileged to have both of them to be honest. Both systems have their high points.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting / different at first, but can get ignoring if when over done. Like in DS, when I magic enchant by weapon, the controller has low humming feel. Cool in the beginning, but after constantly doing it, the controller starts numbing my hands.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Could be. I've heard great things about the DualSense but I'll have to try it myself to know how much of an effect it has on the experience.

What the XSX has going for it is the guarantee of a persistent cross-generation library, and maybe better performance for some titles. I've already invested heavily in the Xbox ecosystem, so unless the DualSense is a real game changer, I'll probably use the XSX as my primary console when it's time to upgrade from my 1X.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I've always turned vibration off because it just felt like a controller rumbling and not immersive at all. Same for this haptic stuff so far. I guess my mind doesn't associate the controller with the what's happening on screen other than movement

Sep 22, 2019
the first time you launch astrobot with the trigger its pretty nuts. Triggers are definitely the star between the triggers and haptics. But I think too much haptics can definitely be numbing, I prefer the subtle effects like the rain and light breezes. If a whole world was sand and you had to feel the sand it might be tedious long term. But I'm thinking about a game like gran turismo where each car could have different engine vibrations, that might be cool. I cant wait to feel antilock brakes

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I think the combination of Activities and the DualSense experience definitely could be a factor. It's a 1, 2 punch.

However, we'll see. Xbox Series controller is a refined thing of comfort and reliability.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Haven't tried the PS5 but this thread is reminding me of the HD rumble in the Joycons and the fact that I still haven't played a single game that's used them.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine P.T remake with full dualsense implementation.

You can feel that tiny baby's heartbeat.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Remember the PS2 Dualshock with all the buttons being pressure sensitive?

Man, I loved that shit. Let's see if the Dualsense has a different fate.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Just like how HD Rumble is used well by third parties on Switch.. Oh...
I think that's in the nature of both techniques. DualSense uses voice coil actuators as nib95 stated. These motors can translate waveforms like common sound files to actual vibrations. The Switch (and Apple devices) use Linear Resonant Actuators. The linear force is the same but the technique is to keep the specific frequency resonant for a the given programmed time.
So for the DualSense, developers simply use sound files to the controller simulating the vibrations of sliding on ice or alike and for the switch developers have to deal with the LRA like they are piezo loud speakers.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. And Ive been really encouraged by how much 3rd parties have already been using it. People like to point to fading interest of novelty features in 3rd party games after launch and honestly I don't really recall that trend happening. To me in the past it was 3rd party games made for just that system or a specific port with it, but not like the ps5 where it's simultaneous and they add it (like COD)

So that's really encouraging to me

I also hope MS does a controller revision down the line with similar tech so The adoption becomes even more widespread

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I'm glad Sony dedicated time to push a new controller into next-gen. Reminds me of playing a SNES, N64, or using a Dual Analog for the first time.

We have been stuck with the same twin stick-rumble technology for such a long time.

Gigamear

Jun 23, 2018
Can someone explain what the deal was with adaptive triggers in Xbox One controllers? I could have sworn that over this last generation I've heard in passing that the feature existed, but I sure as shit never felt anything like what the Dualsense does with them in Astro's.

Did I just somehow miss every game that used it effectively? Maybe it didn't have much support?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After getting to play a little Astros, the stick placement matters more for me personally, so I hope they license out their tech again. I'd buy a Razer controller with all this plus offset sticks.

Can someone explain what the deal was with adaptive triggers in Xbox One controllers? I could have sworn that over this last generation I've heard in passing that the feature existed, but I sure as shit never felt anything like what the Dualsense does with them in Astro's.

Did I just somehow miss every game that used it effectively? Maybe it didn't have much support?

Not adaptive, just rumble in the triggers.