• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Being a gaming enthusiast means more than being obsessed with resolution and framerate to the point of becoming a condescendent gatekeeper.

It does. Who said otherwise?

If they were actually enthusiastic they would just solve their problems by buying a computer. But that suggestion is met with hostility because they just want to complain on the internet and not actually fix it.

Cool let me know when BOTW is on PC without exploiting your Switch system or dloading a ROM.

Entusiast people are the worst people, tbh.

I have no idea what an Entusiast person is but I'll take you word for it

I would call this more a hot-takes site than an enthusiast site. Regardless, I would say most enthusiasts still have self-awareness.

Seems to be a popular reaction to use hot take when they disagree but can't formulate their position in discussion.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that i think Nintendo did a great job fixing BOTW performance because it runs much better now than on release. Also, they did the CPU overclock thing that reduced the load times quite a bit.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The OP discovered 60fps with consoles... OP you need a good gaming PC and stop bothering with sub resolutions and low FPS.
BoTW is the best game ever made imho, regardless of 30fps and 900p.
I love games at 1440p 60>, but that's no all there is to it.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Super dumb thread not because of the technical complaints of the op but because he played it literally 2 years ago and somehow never noticed those exact same issues that would have existed at the initial play through.

Jan 30, 2021
I would argue that, historically, Nintendo develops games for the hardware they have in their hands, BOTW is not exception, it was developed for Wii U, a machine where every complex game was a 720p game, and they treat framerate as a design decision. Zelda is a 30 fps IP, that's all that there's to it.
You can come up with all the reasons you want, but it won't change that I will not stop buying Nintendo consoles and games.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I've never had problems with performance but mostly because I'm a console player so I'm used to it. I've been playing Spider-Man and Demon's Souls at 60fps on PS5 and then started playing Bloodborne and yeah, it was rough but nothing like forcing myself to play it for a couple of hours until I adjusted again.

My main problem with BotW going back was that I got used a lot to how fast you can climb in Genshin Impact in comparison, is probably twice the speed. When I went back to BotW it was a pain in the ass to climb anything but again, I can force myself to anything and I adjust until it's not a problem anymore.

Jun 2, 2019
People like yourself are being far more of a "condescendent gatekeeper" than OP is. It should be okay to speak about preferences on technical aspects without all this bullshit.

Huh? You won't see me bash anyone for preferring <=60fps and 4K as their preferred framerate and resolution. You will, however, see me bash anyone who dares to speak about standards and/or tell me that because i tolerate 30fps and sub1080 resolutions i am holding the medium back.

You can come up with all the reasons you want, but it won't change that I will not stop buying Nintendo consoles and games.

It feels like you have misquoted me?

It does. Who said otherwise?

I mean, that's how exactly feels when it comes to these kind of threads, this one included.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
BotW doesn't run stable and it looks blurry, that's the point of this topic, and also this:

But it does run stable for the most part on the Switch, which is why your argument comes off so poorly.

The game has been analyzed to death and outside of a few very specific places, it's pretty damn stable even with an expansive open world and some pretty decent physics.

I'm not certain what you think they could further accomplish on a handheld.

Oct 28, 2017
I recently also retried picking up BOTW and had a similar experience that has more to do with playing Henson Impact at 60fps more than anything. It's not so say BOTW aged poorly but moreso that the formula was quickly adopted and improved upon in significant ways.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
You up in here preaching OP. Good game design is good game design. You can also appreciate all of the technology on display and the mastery of the art direction but poor presentation is poor presentation is poor presentation is poor presentation.

Like looking at one of Leonardo da Vinci's masterpieces through a lense covered in Vaseline.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? You won't see me bash anyone for preferring <=60fps and 4K as their preferred framerate and resolution. You will, however, see me bash anyone who dares to speak about standards and/or tell me that because i tolerate 30fps and sub1080 resolutions i am holding the medium back.
So OP being generally condescending and treating anyone who doesn't demand 60 fps as simpletons who don't know better is fine, but making jokes isn't. Ok.
OP hasn't expressed their opinion in the OP in a way that deserves the type of comments I quoited.

If you honestly can't see that then you're just as bad as anything you're trying to call out.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
OP hasn't expressed their opinion in the OP in a way that deserves the type of comments I quoited.

If you honestly can't see that then you're just as bad as anything you're trying to call out.
Yeah, he has. He has basically said that if you like a 30 fps game you have not standards. Read the thread.

Jun 2, 2019

If everyone had kept this "It's good enough!" mindset, we wouldn't play in 3D or Dolby Atmos now. We wouldn't play anything. We would still ride horses instead of cars. The problem is not people expecting more, it's people expecting less and being ok with it.

...excuse me?

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I recently replayed it in anticipation for Age of Calamity and the BotW2 release and I felt it was still an amazing title and one of the best ever.

I get it's not running 4K/60, but I don't think that is necessarily a requirement for a great game. Granted I still think Super Metroid holds up extremely well.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not doing this. Especially since derailing threads to have arguments with people is like your whole thing.
No, my "thing" here is calling out people who are trying to act above the very thing they are doing.

If you don't have the self-awareness here that is not on me.

Dec 2, 2020
How the heck did some of you manage to play games at all before the 2010s?

On console 1080p only became standard in 2013 with PS4 first party games and 2016 with third party games on PS4 Pro and most of their graphically impressive exclusive games were 30fps.

The OP has completely unrealistic expectations, especially for a game designed around the constraints of a PS360 level of hardware which launched in 2012.

When you look at the size of BotW's World along with it's physics systems there's very few games that compare to it to this day. Nintendo hit it out of the park!

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I think you should start by not assuming the discussion around performance is being had in bad faith. I assure you that I like video games. I don't think that the demand is artificial, we're just naturally going to be looking toward the next ways gaming can improve and load times/performance issues have been particularly egregious these last few gens.

As to your second point, I genuinely believed Nintendo got crept on quickly with the rise of the SSDs. There are a lot of obvious ways BOTW could have been improved with it and I think developers having less technical constraints to worry about between them and their visions is a good thing.

The OP is phrased in sort of a baity way that I think muddles the true point being made here, but a lot of the replies probably would have been the same anyway since Nintendo fans always get cagey when the obvious technical constraints of their hardware come up.

I just think it's hard to imagine OP actually caring a lot about the game part of a videogame when the rate of image frames defines it above everything else.

Not saying you don't like videogames, it was more about OP tbh. Not saying OP doesn't like videogames either ftm haha but it's kind of obvious how the original post was about justifying the new toy using a beloved game for pure baiting.

Fast loadings, bigger resolutions and 60+ fps were always a PC thing, i agree that console players always wanted a slice of this pie and that was inevitable. But it doesn't make console gen transitions any less artificial, when people were (still are) happy with their Switch or PS4 for what they are and suddenly poof, games less than 5 years old, that are still at the top of game design preferences of gamers, didn't age well.

I don't think it's about Nintendo fans defending their fav brand. Everyone knows the hybrid nature of the Switch is a performance compromise, and the next Switch will probably also be hybrid and have performance compromises. OP only used it because it's the easiest dog to kick, but this thread is all about the PS5.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he has. He has basically said that if you like a 30 fps game you have not standards. Read the thread.
I said in the OP, and since the OP people came in and helped set that tone. It could have gone a different way without it.

Look at the OP, read up to the frist reply, the thread is full of nonsense mocking OP. You can't have a go at them and then join in on it all and have any weight behind your point.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Surprise: Nobody likes elitist people who pick on others for not having the same standards.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
Yeah, most of your post history is ranting about the Switch. Somewhat doubtful that one day you woke up with an inclination to boot up the console you've been complaining about almost daily to then suddenly having a eureka moment about it's performance, but alright, if you say so. The game still looks and plays fine to me. Nintendo is not a company who prioritises performance. If that kind of strategy isn't in line with your expectations, might be time to drop them.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
You went through OP's post history and thought this was good enough to post as some kind of gotcha?
It is though, the guy as a history of obsessing with performance to a ridiculous degree, like "if is not 60fps its shit and if you like it you have no standards" ridiculous

Deleted member 79517

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
If performance is the merit by which you evaluate classic games, then you are immediately discarding so many of the best games ever made.

You do you!

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Could not disagree more.

BotW is a game that many, many, many people return to now without issue and that will be the case for years to come. It is an evergreen title that when people play it in 10 years, will still understand why it is considered one of the greatest games ever released.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Played it again a few nights ago for the first time in quite awhile and couldn't believe how much fun and immersive it still is. Also didn't feel the urge to make a hyperbolic, cynically slanted post online about my experience afterwards either. Odd.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I mean I loved it despite the technical shortcomings but I have a feeling a 1080p/60fps locked version would look extremely sparse and empty

like isn't there a much easier solution here? just boycott every game/system where 60 isn't the standard? problem solved

Jun 2, 2019
I said in the OP, and since the OP people came in and helped set that tone. It could have gone a different way without it.

Look at the OP, read up to the frist reply, the thread is full of nonsense mocking OP. You can't have a go at them and then join in on it all and have any weight behind your point.

I look at the OP, and the final spoiler absolutely oblivierates any previous intention OP could have, it's basically a OH MAI GAH I JUST DISCOVERED 4k60FPS WITH SSD, LET'S BASH SOMETHING POPULAR SO I CAN WIN SOME INTERNET POINTS thread, and he shamelessly comfirms it later when he goes full ellitism.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I made a dumb joke after like 10 serious posts laying down my position on the issue.

You're giving me shit over it since half a page ago when not even OP cared.

Obviously I'm the one who has a problem.
You honestly can't take a small piece of criticism without getting this defensive?

It is though, the guy as a history of obsessing with performance to a ridiculous degree, like "if is not 60fps its shit" ridiculous
I personally don't see anything wrong in the OP, and I see many posts before they replied again that set a shitty tone.

The issue I have here is people revelling in that very tone while calling it out. You don't think that is something to note?

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Another excellent example is Fire Emblem Three Houses - this game is a technical mess and was basically outdated on the day it released. The worst thing is, reviews mostly ignored that and scored it into the 90s. If the new James Bond movie released with blurry image or compressed audio quality, do you think reviews would praise it anyway? No. Movie critics would tear the film apart. Movies have established a baseline for certain technical standards they are expected to meet, which also helps in terms of futureproofing. I wish there was something similar for games. The only thing I can remember is Sony saying no game releasing on PSVR is ever allowed to drop frames below 120fps - or else it won't get released.

That's not how it works in 'ere, sorry to say.

Games are effectively software. They're technology as much as they are works of art. As a result, their design is iterative, and prone to performance issues, based on a wide variety of factors that movies don't have.

Movie fundamentals exist in the form of aspect ratio, audio mixing, lighting, etc. Things that, nevertheelss, could be overlooked if it possesses a good-enough gut; a strong script or impressionistic flair.

So even with the fundamentals of a game being inadequate, it could still be something that strikes a chord in millions of people. It doesn't have to be polished to a tee. It just has to be playable, and fun, and engaging.

Does it crash every three minutes? Does the framerate never reach 30? Is the sound completely botched? Does the IQ completely muck up visibility?

I'd wager no. BoTW is one of the best-designed games of its generation. If the framerate dips a little, that doesn't reverse that factoid. People don't love it because they're paid to, or dumb; they love it because... well, in part because it's Zelda, I guess. Sure, maybe out of a shred of willful ignorance. But also because of the staying power vested in its mechanical systems.

It does deserve addressing, however. Just because something is 'great', that doesn't mean it is devoid of blemish. BotW has plenty. But calling it broken on a fundamental level and critics blind to it upon its launch is also betraying the context of the game -- it was released 4 years ago. Some things may have been more tolerable. The newer hardware today may have removed the rosy tints that sullied our glasses in yore. *shrug* And if so, then oh well. For me, BoTW has more serious issues than just how it runs.

Then again, I also played Deadly Premonition on PC to completion.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had bigger issues with the gameplay and lack of narrative myself, I think Breath of the Wild was dated right out of the gate in that it doesn't compare favorably to modern open-world games except in terms of how you get around the world. That said I found the technical issues disappointing but they were not a deal breaker at launch and I no longer own a Switch so I can't revisit BotW on it to see how it's aged. I do remember some hitching in the framerate at points, especially when you would dodge, that was very off-putting?

The low resolution thing is always going to be a problem on the Switch sadly. From a capability standpoint the Switch is more like the PS3/Xbox 360 than the PS4/One. I mean, it's a hybrid device? Zelda looked decent in light of that. It was never going to be Red Dead Redemption 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn, not on the Switch.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Only on internet forums can someone want a game to be technically better and they are made out to be the bad guy. No criticism is valid to you guys. It's the best thing ever and wanting better performance and visuals is outright wrong.

If the world was run by people like the defenders in this group, we'd still be living in the dirt.

JFC gamers never learn and they never change.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that this topic does not exist in a vacuum and users already know each other.
This is a fair point, I think it's also fair to say the issue I describe is rife on this site.

This is fucking rich coming from you.
Look through my post history, when I take criticism I almost always acknowledge it and very often apologise and take the hit. Feel free to take a browse.

Feel free to PM me some examples I missed where I didn't do this and I'll have a conversation about it, just because I might argue a lot doesn't mean what you think it does. I am always open to criticism.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The way the grass looks in the game really bugs me. There's visible aliasing on every single blade of grass in a scene. Overall it looks nice though, has nice art direction. Hopefully in the future we more options to output the game at higher resolutions.