• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
There's some context to it in the story. They set Batman down that path in Arkham City's DLC 'Harley Quinn's Revenge' (which I believe also was not written by Paul Dini). I think you can interpret Batman as depressed, which does make sense given that he's faced with the prospect of losing his mind. In the background text in the game I do think they mention him becoming more withdrawn.

It is a character assassination besides that though, anyway. The Arkham Knight is completely justified in his hatred of Batman, given how quickly Bruce Wayne moved on.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
Another reason is that he acts like a douchebag to all of his family and friends throughout the whole game. He's always telling them that he doesn't need their help even though he clearly does. And this one might be a nitpick, but he's always constaly saying that "tonight's the end" and this doesn't make any sense. How could Batman possibly know that this is final night and that he won't go on? He doesn't know. It didn't feel natural.

Well, Batman is Batman because he plans everything. He did know it was the end... because he planned it all along.

DisastrousUnfoldedDarklingbeetle-size_restricted.gif

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Conroy is awful in these games. I'm fairly convinced people gave him a pass because of nostalgia, which I have none since I grew up watching B:TAS in Spanish.

MXG

Oct 29, 2018
I really really liked Arkham Knight. I liked the settings, the tone, the environment, the flow of story, the side character. Bat mobile was slightly out of touch, but was fun to play. Especially the part with
joker and his lines
, made a hell of experience.
i think it has one of the best entertainment medium. That being said, some of the part of Batman in the game was not "Batman-y". Still, it's a hell of a experience.

Feb 24, 2018
For me the bit that bothered me was
the portrayal of project Nightfall, aka let's get a new Batman who is more brutal, kill happy and USING SCARECROWS FEAR TOXINS as good thing... No it isn't, like way to miss the point of the Batman Nightfall story arc where this:

is a bad thing, the whole point was to show WHY Batman has limits and the inherent problems of vigilante that acts as complete and total judge and executioner. Plus I don't know, Batman giving up once his identity has been found out just seems so out of character for Bruce.

My friend and I were talking about this the other day.

The Batman in Arkham Knight is one resigned to a bad end and the villains are just game obstacles to overcome.

It misunderstood Batman as the dark, brooding dark knight that is all about the fear and violence - an emotionally detached stoic robot - and it missed one of his DEFINING traits: his kindness and compassion.
Du5S6dNWoAA7jRm.jpg

EQlDPme.jpg

tumblr_inline_pqg2hwY8Xa1vigdcn_1280.jpg

a6555316d1d8cd021f0732f4e59513db.jpg

A Batman without compassion, kindness, empathy, and the belief that there is good in even his worst villains is not a genuine Batman.

This, if you really want to do a story about how Batman is shocked to the core and loses his compassion (and learning to get it back), I'd recommend looking up Batman: Noël, it's a great story in its own right and does this type of Batman very well.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Kevin Conroy is awful in these games. I'm fairly convinced people gave him a pass because of nostalgia, which I have none since I grew up watching B:TAS in Spanish.
He's great in Injustice though, which is why you can probably put the blame on the voice director.

Like, he's legit great in recent stuff. He has some amazing and sincere scenes in Injustice 2, for instance.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
count me in with the people who think conroy's performance in the entire trilogy has never been anything to write home about, and that the story ain't all that interesting either. definitely some cool moments, but i don't like any of the rocksteady batman games for their writing.

now origins, there's a batman game with a narrative that's compelling and good performances from the leads.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Rocksteady: Heres this band new character...
Fans: It's Jason.
Rocksteady: No its not!
Fans: Lmao that's Red Hood dude.
Rocksteady: No, its a brand new character, heres a preorder DLC with Red Hodd
Fans: See? It is Jason.
Rocksteady: NO! WE'RE MAKING A BRAND NEW CHARACTER!
Fans: Ok, imma let you go with that... but it's Jason.

Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Knight has three major story issues:

Boredman (as OP has addressed)

Suddenly: SCARECROW, which could've worked in theory but still seemed random as fuck. And it might as well be a different Scarecrow altogether from the one that was portrayed in Asylum.

Arkham Knight's identity themselves. If you have any passing familiarity with Batman lore it was immediately obvious who it was, and that also seemed random as fuck.

The Joker hallucinations were top tier though.

The character is wooden in all the Arkham games.

Very much so. Origins is the best version of him in the games by far.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad the writing sucks in them too. Not really a good excuse.

Reminder that Asylum ended with Batman fighting a titan Joker.
I never understand how people praise the story of the first games. Paul Dini has penned some of the best Batman stories ever, it those are not among them (likely due to their nature as games, but still).

Hulk Joker epitomises the wasted potential of Asylum's story

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Tim and Barbara was a weird pairing that existed for no reason. Bruce has so little love for his family. The whole series is oddly fatalistic.

I will always love this series but the writing is so bland. The universe, the world building, the easter eggs are all fantastic, but characterization and whatnot just misses the point.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Most of the story elements were wasted. Like everything with Scarecrow.

This is what annoyed me most. Scarecrow was the highlight of the first game, and they turned him into a generic "you're gonna lose because you suck lol" talking head. And then they gave all the limelight to Joker a third time despite him being dead.

One of my biggest gaming disappointments.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Everything from Arkham Knight aside from the graphics have not aged well.

I played thorugh it last month and it is still the best game in teh series and the best of the imitators. I actually liked it more this time than last time since I was coming off of Arkham Origins and that was just kind of a jankfest in comparison

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
They tried to make Batman realistic.

It's all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I played thorugh it last month and it is still the best game in teh series and the best of the imitators. I actually liked it more this time than last time since I was coming off of Arkham Origins and that was just kind of a jankfest in comparison

Arkham Origins has the best story, writing, atmosphere, art style, voice acting, theme, detective work and characterization in the series.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Let's talk about writers.

Batman The Animated Series : Paul Dini
Superman: The Animated Series: Paul Dini
Batman Beyond: Paul Dini
Justice League: Paul Dini
Justice League Unlimited: Paul Dini

Arkham Asylum: Paul Dini
Arkham City: Paul Dini

Arkham Knight: NOT Paul Dini
Agreed completely. Insufferable.

Basically. Batman and the entire story were awful. Scarecrow revealed his grand plan and Batman just immediately went

you_got_me_breaking_bad.gif

and gave up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Other writing issues in this game..

- Jason Todd hates Batman during the climax but when Batman gets trapped by Scarecrow, he saves Batman out of nowhere. This moment isn't earned at all.

- Jason and Scarecrow just make the tanks unmaned for some reason acting like they care about Batman's morals. Why do they care?

- Batman gets cured in AC yet still has the disease in Arkham Knight.

- Batman can take down 50 thugs at once yet can't stop Scarecrow all by himself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I sort of never got into the driving bit, it just three me off, specially sections which were heavily layered with the batmobile

It's the feel of the driving and the mechanics with it that's so good. The missions with the BatTank suck though.

Too bad the writing sucks in them too. Not really a good excuse.

Reminder that Asylum ended with Batman fighting a titan Joker. Dini or not the writing in the Rocksteady games just sucks.

It's true. The Arkham series is my favorite Gaming series of all time and I replay all 3 games(Sorry Arkham Knight), every year as a tradition. But even I can see that Rocksteady's games all have really meh writing and I never understand the praise their stories get. AO blows them all out of the water.

Last edited:

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I want to see this side of Batman's character more in the new game. In the Killing Joke he even offers to help The Joker out and to help fix him.

He has many other instances in comics/animated series/movies of him wanting to fix/help villains. Especially Joker as Batman not killing Joker is often one of the things Joker hates most about him.

I'm sure most have seen it but you all really need to watch Batman the animated series if you haven't. If the house catches on fire I'm grabbing family first and maybe that second!

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020

I think sometimes it seems a bit overly hated on. A lot of tremendous things going on but I did feel that way about all and I am in love with the character and this pack of games. I thought the bat mobile was fun and cool, but certainly see why so many thought it was overused.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I'm glad WB Montreal was smart enough to hire Scott Snyder to write their story for Batman: Court of Owls. They already had talented writers but now the story will be even better.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just another reason why Knight was such a disappointment. On the surface it was great but as soon as you dig in you start seeing the numerous flaws.