• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It's a meeting I tune into but don't contribute because I'm just a grad student and everyone else is a mid-career PhD scientist.

I hit the mute mic button and went to sit down at the other end of the room to listen for my name and hear what's going on while doing other things. The meeting topic is so complex I don't really understand it or anything people are talking about.

my husband comes out of the room and talks to me about his job, our finances, we talk about sex, and later I mention a colleague on the call is very smart but he talks so slowly I can't stay focused.

the meeting went on without a hitch and even went over the time slot. It was a riveting discussion though I didn't contribute and I tuned out most of the time.

I go to log out of the meeting and notice the mic button shows "on"

my heart jumped into my throat and I just have no idea what to do

I have no idea if they heard me or I need to send an apology email. I'm just stewing in embarrassment right now

I'm fucking done with WFH

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
If you were talking the whole time, how would no one have spoken up? I couldn't handle a meeting with someone talking through the whole thing.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
How far were you guys from your mic? Any background noise in the room? I'd say there's a greater than zero chance no one heard you.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
Don't apologize unless someone mentions something. They probably would have tried to get your attention if your audio was picking up and distracting them.

If there was someone in the call you're friendly with, try casually asking if your mic was on.

Oct 28, 2017
I generally find that if I'm some distance away from my laptop then my mic doesn't pick me up in zoom meetings. If they didn't say anything during the meeting then I'm pretty sure they didn't hear you.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
From my experience with voice calls, if no one pointed it out at all, they probably didn't hear it. You'd have been interrupting the call big time, especially if you were talking about sex and company stuff. Personally I would act as if no one heard it until someone points it out.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I don't know, but I've heard the software is pretty good at picking up what's in front of the computer and not as much of the room noise. Is there a recording of the call?

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Either they didn't hear you and you pretend nothing happenned. Or they did hear you and they pretend nothing happenned. Either way to plan is to lie and repress.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At least you aren't the woman who took her laptop to the toilet and sat it in front of her with the camera on for her colleagues to watch while she peed.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
If people weren't pausing while you were chit chatting then you're in the clear.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
1) Did you mute in Zoom or did you hit the mute button on your headset? Because it's possible your audio hardware had its own mute if that's what you did. My Plantronics headset mute is rarely in sync with my laptop but would still work.

2) Is there a recording of the meeting you can review?

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
If it's zoom, you gotta enable push-to-talk. And usually people will mute you if it's distracting enough.

support.zoom.us

Push-to-talk

Overview The push-to-talk feature allows you to remain muted throughout your Zoom meeting and hold down the spacebar when you want to be unmuted and talk. Learn about all host controls in a meeting...

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i took my final exam for one of my classes the other day and had to be on video through zoom. i finished up and took a shower came back in the room naked and realized my cam was still on and people were still testing :)

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to say, if no one ever mentions it then you're probably better off never mentioning it yourself.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
You could always casually say that you noticed you left your mic on while talking with your spouse and that you hope you didn't interrupt anyone. If they say they heard you, then I guess you have a follow-up apology...that you can still keep semi-vague in case they didn't hear the content lol.

Oct 29, 2017
Yikes, mate. Something similar happened to me some years ago and people were pretty fast to react to it, though. I think you may have gotten lucky this time lol

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
OP they probably hate you for being an inconsiderate shit who keeps talking over them.

More seriously though they probably muted you and figured out that you forgot to hit mute. Don't worry about it too much.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I take all meetings nude to walk on the wild side. If I get caught, admire the tripod.

All jokes aside, though, I do sometimes wonder if people on the call notice me sparking my lighter to light up during meetings I'm hosting.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I also think people would say something if they had listened to anything. I think you're safe op. Just a scare.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I still just.... dont understand how this happens. Its burned into the back of my mind. But anyway, hopefully they muted you early I guess.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the mic wasn't strong enough to hear your conversation.

I once had music blasting in my room and was about to start a bluejeans meeting when I noticed the mic was on but nobody said anything.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean, if you were at the other end of the room like you said, chances are they didn't hear anything. Mics can't reach this far(unless you live near a busy street with the windows opened), as far as I know.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Dear colleagues,

Lots of laughs, you fell for my totally fake and not real at all conversation I staged with my husband!

Jokes on you,

Nothing Loud"

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
my husband comes out of the room and talks to me about his job, our finances, we talk about sex, and later I mention a colleague on the call is very smart but he talks so slowly I can't stay focused.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
RIP

EDIT: If they could hear you they would have muted you as you would be distracting?