• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Instead of blocking him, could OP have eventually introduced some good films to the friend and broadened his tastes?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
All of us here and you in the corner OP

giphy.gif

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
What? My mums ex who was a business man/councilor and into arty stuff (was 60 at the time) took us to watch Spirited Away at the cinema, it's not exactly otaku level anime; there is a reason Disney picked up a ton of their stuff and they have some decent Western voice actors.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty much.

I can see why the OP would be annoyed, but this is basically a young adult being a young adult. It's okay for them not to see that as clearly as you do. Getting defensive over it stands out more to me.

21 y/o are "young adults" until they do something we decide they should be held accountable for. Someone in their 20's can do or say a mean thing the same way an 18 or 15 year old can, the same way a 45 y/o can. What OP shared indicated that he (the 21 y/o) was being a bit condescending, but it feels just as appropriate to name the 21 y/o as condescending as it does to let OP know to cool off a bit after someone is a bit of a dick.

It can happen to anyone and often does. But it feels like holding OP at a higher level of accountability for managing their feelings (or the kind of apparently lack thereof) versus acknowledging that someone said something that can understandably be considered insulting is a bit unfair.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's something to be said about dating people who have similar interests as you (or, at the very least, aren't actively repulsed by the things you're into). It's strange to me how so many couples I know who break up don't have this one core bit of foundation.

In that sense, it's not so much about anime in itself. OP, maybe I wouldn't have taken it as personally (at my current age, 20-something Roy definitely would have), but your feelings are valid. And they're not strange. Remove "anime," your expressed a "like" for something, and this potential romantic(?) person expressed a revulsion for it, and in a way that was ironically quite childish.

And besides, this was the initial stages of a Grindr meeting. This is the. time. to weed these things out.

To answer your question, I don't get picked on for my likes very much; but that might be because my online profiles are pretty detailed, so if it gets to the point where we're talking, you generally have a sense of what I'm about. The few times it has happened though, especially in the last few years, these people are usually met with a block and not a second more of my mental energy.

Exactly, this is how I was thinking about it too. And blocking is just the easiest way to move on. I have no intention of talking to this dude ever again lol. I asked him to clarify what he meant by his adult comment and he ignored me for several hours after texting me rambunctiously so I took that for his answer. There is no need for him to explain, I'm just not about people punching at me for my hobbies like they think they're better than me at 21.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Yeah that's what I was gonna come in this thread to say. I don't tend to even class Ghibli as anime.
Yeah, that's what stands out as weird to me. I thought it was common knowledge that people knew Ghibli was a tier all on its own as respected films that happen to be animated.

I'm not TOO surprised, I distinctly remember THIS FORUM having at least one weirdo in an animated series/movie trailer thread (Spider-Verse and What If IIRC) going "UGH, It's ANIMATED? I'm out"

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people don't even consider Ghibli or Miyazaki films as anime, they're just Japanese/international animated films. But this guy was a weirdo and had the wrong impression lol

I've always done that, I dunno why. It probably doesn't make sense.

but the anime I've had engrained in my head and Miyazaki are two very different things.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
What? My mums ex who was a business man/councilor and into arty stuff (was 60 at the time) took us to watch Spirited Away at the cinema, it's not exactly otaku level anime; there is a reason Disney picked up a ton of their stuff and they have some decent Western voice actors.
yeah, your mother's ex was a wordly business exec

the dude OP is talking about is a young college tech kid who's not far removed from being a teenager. they're not known for their artistic tastes lmao. like all of us, the dude OP was talking to will mature

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
It is good and cool to look down on people for liking anime.

Seriously though, he sounds like an asshole. I suppose it's possible that he was just trying to tease you, but it sure didn't come across that way. Anyone who denigrates you for your taste in movies or whatever is not worth your time.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
I've always described Ghibli movies as cartoon movies in the vein of Lion King and old Disney movies and once I say that people understand. I personally don't really see them as anime and never have. I just explained it that way to my girlfriend and she was like ok. We watched spirited away a few days ago and we watched princess mononoke yesterday. She wants to watch all the studio Ghibli movies now. Also that person's 21. What do you expect What do you expect

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah, that's what stands out as weird to me. I thought it was common knowledge that people knew Ghibli was a tier all on its own as respected films that happen to be animated.
It's common knowledge on this nerd website

It is not common knowledge to the average person

It can happen to anyone and often does. But it feels like holding OP at a higher level of accountability for managing their feelings (or the kind of apparently lack thereof) versus acknowledging that someone said something that can understandably be considered insulting is a bit unfair.
I have no problem holding OP to a higher level of accountability as they're both 10 years older and making it a public thing

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
I'll just say this.

Recognizing that a situation makes you uncomfortable and leaving it is smart. People have different thresholds on what makes them uncomfortable; if that threshold is someone looking down on their interests, good on OP for deciding to leave that situation. OP isn't obligated to continue a conversation with a dude on Grindr.

It's really that simple and nothing to sit on a high horse about.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
For the people discussing the age gap, it's very common in the gay world to have big gaps in age. It's how things are. I guess gay people are less bothered by it than the straights.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It's common knowledge on this nerd website

It is not common knowledge to the average person

This kid is getting a Princeton education, it's more embarrassing that he asked me for examples when he couldn't just Google Ghibli movies and the awards they've won on his own without prodding me and then taunting me for being honest.

I have no problem holding OP to a higher level of accountability as they're both 10 years older and making it a public thing

I'm sorry I don't meet your standards of maturity by posting an mildly annoyed anecdote anonymously on a forum. May we all learn from a true adult such as yourself!

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the kind of person that would've given you the same reaction had you told him Disney movies. Some people just hate animated stuff and assume it's all for kids. Just look at the joke that is the Oscars. Still, not sure why you were so specific about what you were doing. I would've just said "oh I'm watching a movie" lol. But if he was being as talkative as you said, I guess it would've eventually reached the point where he specifically asked what movie and the same thing would've happened.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'm sorry I don't meet your standards of maturity by posting an mildly annoyed anecdote anonymously on a forum. May we all learn from a true adult such as yourself!
You keep saying mildly annoyed. This ain't something a mildly annoyed person would say. A mildly annoyed person wouldn't make a spectacle on a video game forum and then double down lmao

Lol excuse me? I was so taken aback. Do people in 2022 really still look down on others for liking "anime movies" let alone fucking award winning Miyazaki movies? The nerve of this kid condescending me. Like you're not impressive Mr Princeton. Everyone in this city is a software engineer at big tech and to come after me at 21 years old when I'm a rising 4th year phd student in computational biology and tell me you can't enjoy "anime movies" because you have to be an adult. I just can't lmfao. Blocked him on everything.

That ain't annoyed, that's sanctimonious and pissed off

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

OP might be right, but can we let someone's legitimate feelings get in the way of pursuing a thread backfire? Ask ERA to not be ERA challenge, ultra hard mode.

Oct 27, 2017
You said he's a 21-year-old Rwandan software engineer with a degree from Princeton who does not speak native English.

That sounds like a dozen different ways for him to have a completely different frame of reference for anime than you, or none at all.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
You keep saying mildly annoyed. This ain't something a mildly annoyed person would say. A mildly annoyed person wouldn't make a spectacle on a video game forum and then double down lmao

Yeah, because if there's something we shouldn't disturb it's the sanctity of a video game forum.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry OP, I'm 33 and wear a Levi's denim jacket with a massive Pikachu on the back

Paterique

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Whos being smug? The guy telling you he doesnt like anime, or the person acting all offended because not everybody has the same tastes as you?

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

Surprise! I'm sitting here on my couch with a 68bpm heartbeat (checking my Apple Watch) and drinking coffee while doomscrolling shitposts on Era. I don't find myself anything elevated above mildly annoyed about that kid, I just get sassy in my forum posts because I'm a smarmy queer on the internet when people aren't polite and I slam when people throw punches. Like I said, the only thing above mildly annoyed that I am is because of beyond stupid response posts like yours that try to claim my emotions and judge my personality based off anonymous anecdotes on the internet. And even then, I will sip my morning coffee, not raise my heartbeat, and probably watch a YouTube video to start off my morning once this thread has run its course. Then probably never think of you again.

That ain't annoyed, that's sanctimonious and pissed off

I forgot, you're the owner of my emotions and their labels. How could I?

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
This. The Era bubble is strong on this one.

Can't agree with this one. Era bubble is very much a thing but Ghibli films are pretty widely known. I know a lot of people who know his films. They're regularly nominated for Oscars. They were distributed by Disney for years. They get mainstream theatrical releases in the west.

I'm not saying everyone knows them, but they're FAR more known than the average anime. A lot of people have seen Spirited Away.

That said, that doesn't mean anything to this guy if he doesn't know who Ghibli is.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I disagree, Disney's distribution and Spirited Away's Oscar win helped it get recognized considerably. People might not know every film but they know the likes of Spirited Away and Totoro.
I still don't think most people are aware of what "a Miyazaki movie" is. Maybe it's different in the US and that's a mainstream name? It's very likely not the case among Rwandan zoomers going by this interaction :P

Spirited Away is pretty old now that I think about it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Surprise! I'm sitting here on my couch with a 68bpm heartbeat (checking my Apple Watch) and drinking coffee while doomscrolling shitposts on Era. I don't find myself anything elevated above mildly annoyed about that kid, I just get sassy in my forum posts because I'm a smarmy queer on the internet when people aren't polite and I slam when people throw punches. Like I said, the only thing above mildly annoyed that I am is because of beyond stupid response posts like yours that try to claim my emotions and judge my personality based off anonymous anecdotes on the internet. And even then, I will sip my morning coffee, not raise my heartbeat, and probably watch a YouTube video to start off my morning once this thread has run its course. Then probably never think of you again.

I forgot, you're the owner of my emotions and their labels. How could I?
Ah yes, listing all the ways you're calm. The #1 sign of a person who is very calm

I disagree, Disney's distribution and Spirited Away's Oscar win helped it get recognized considerably. People might not know every film but they know the likes of Spirited Away and Totoro.
I don't think people really give a fuck about the animation Oscar other than people already into animation

Like I'm not saying people don't know a few Ghibli films, just that it's not common knowledge that they're high art/not your average anime

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Ah yes, listing all the ways you're calm. The #1 sign of a person who is very calm
To be fair you ARE kinda provoking him. You can't really come in, call someone over the top, imply they're trying to mack on someone much younger then them and expect them to just let it slide.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Anime being more popular than ever doesn't stop there from still being plenty of people who think it's childish or for kids, same goes for video games. Ignore these people and move on with your life.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
That person sounds unnecessarily rude. Sorry ya had to go through that OP.

Edit: reworded after I re-read the thread instead of basing my response on just the OP which I had skimmed previously and in an effort to watch what I say about someone I don't know.

Last edited:

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh OP, what was more condescending was listing your accolades. That's much more of a turn off. Both of you seem on your high horses. Personally speaking, I could never associate myself with people like that and to go a bit further, I feel like that's a common theme with Resetera. A lot of pompous big tech/finance people bragging about their careers. You say you are humble, yet easily break into that mode of arrogance in this thread. You may want to do self-reflecting.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
Like I'm not saying people don't know a few Ghibli films, just that it's not common knowledge that they're high art/not your average anime
And I think even most people that know Totoro or Spirited Away don't actually know they are Ghibli films.

Most Ghibli films have done poorly at US box office, I mean Arriety is the highest grossing Ghibli movie in US with $19 million, so I think it's more then fair to say they aren't mainstream.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Sounds like you took it a personally op. I've met a few people who have that mind-set where watching a cartoon/animation is instantly "childish" ... I just ignore it/laugh it off/own it. It's not a big deal, some people are just close-minded and I see it as their loss.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot

But the 21 year old is from Rwanda. Does Rwanda have a large anime culture, or follow western movie popularity trends?

At 31, the OP should realize not everywhere in the world consumes the same media. Nor do they rate what is good and acceptable socially base on western standards.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It would be one thing if the 21-year-old expressed a dislike of anime and OP reacted this way.

But 21-year-old didn't just do that. He expressed a dislike of anime while implying the OP (and those who do like anime) isn't an adult or is immature. I feel like a lot of people in here are missing that part.

I get why OP was taken aback. I'd have just blocked them though.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I still don't think most people are aware of what "a Miyazaki movie" is. Maybe it's different in the US and that's a mainstream name? It's very likely not the case among Rwandan zoomers going by this interaction :P.

Spirited Away is pretty old now that I think about it.
Oh yeah, I agree, I'm mostly thinking of terms of the US. I can definitely see it being different in other countries.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
21 y/o are "young adults" until they do something we decide they should be held accountable for. Someone in their 20's can do or say a mean thing the same way an 18 or 15 year old can, the same way a 45 y/o can. What OP shared indicated that he (the 21 y/o) was being a bit condescending, but it feels just as appropriate to name the 21 y/o as condescending as it does to let OP know to cool off a bit after someone is a bit of a dick.

No, I definitely get the impression the 21 year-old was being dumb and condescending. Could have been trying to make a playful jab, who knows, but at least projected a childish conception of maturity. The OP being turned off by that and deciding he has no time for the 21 year-old anymore makes sense.

I can't relate to the impulse to go off in the way the OP has in this thread, though. Not in response to a light bit of condescension over Ghibli movies from a 21 year-old. Fair enough if the OP just has a more "smarmy" personality than I do. :P

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
21 is still at that insecurity stage "I need to do ADULT things", he would probably have the same reaction with videogames

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh OP, what was more condescending was listing your accolades. That's much more of a turn off. Both of you seem on your high horses. Personally speaking, I could never associate myself with people like that and to go a bit further, I feel like that's a common theme with Resetera. A lot of pompous big tech/finance bragging about their careers.

Sorry you feel that way. I don't really notice people talking about their careers here unless prompted but I could be biased or wrong. Personally I've never brought up my accolades or career to anyone in plain conversation (there's no point anyway, nobody understands my research or what I'm talking about) and I don't intend to start now since I was thankfully raised with better decorum than that, but I'm not ashamed to figuratively trot them out or relish a smarmy paragraph on the anonymous internet if someone literally has the gall to tell me they're better than me 10 years my junior. To that guy, I say: pick your battles lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.