• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just bought a Series X this weekend from Best Buy. Couldn't just buy the system outright and the only way to get it was to do the $35/month deal that comes with two years of Game Pass Ultimate. So, I got the system, an extra controller, the 1TB memory card and rechargeable batteries for the controllers. As someone who has not had an Xbox system since the original Xbox, here are my thoughts after one weekend with the Series X. As a caveat regarding my impressions, I have been a PlayStation person every generation and have been very invested in that ecosystem. So, I think that my perceptions may be sort of clouded by that long-term experience.

Positives:
  • The best thing that I can say about my purchase is GamePass, GamePass, GamePass. Holy Crap!! This is amazing. I can't believe the number of games on there that I have either previously purchased from PSN or have been on my list of games that I want to buy. New releases, classic games... all downloadable. Really amazing. I have played a bit of Forza Horizon, Flight Simulator and (I hate to say it) MLB: The Show. (I got a kick out of seeing the Sony logo and PlayStation symbols pop up on the screen!). (But, I have really been sucked into Ori and the Blind Forest. What a beautiful, amazing experience that game has been.) I never "got" all the GP accolades before. Now, I get it. The value here will more than make up for the cost of the Xbox just based upon not having to buy all of these games and future releases that I would have purchased on PSN.
  • The ease of adding the 1TB memory expansion to the console. Just stick the little card in the back of the machine? Really? No covers to pop off? No screws to remove? No "spacers" to space? Really makes it simple.
  • Quick Resume? Yes! Great feature! Hopefully, Sony adds this feature to PS5 in a future update.
  • The Xbox app made setting up the Series X a breeze. Reminded me of how Amazon has you set up an Alexa device. Super easy.
Negatives:
  • The controller. I really do not like it. For one thing, I am just used to having the sticks in line, with the D-pad being above the left stick. It is just my muscle memory, but I find that I am having trouble getting used to the difference. That may change in time, but for now, I keep missing the left stick and can't find the D-pad without looking down. The D-pad design itself is not great for me either and I don't get a good feel with it. I have seen posts from people about how the DualSense cramps their hands. Well, for me, the Xbox controller is not comfortable. Personally, the DualSense's longer handles and triggers feels better to me. The Xbox controller seems more compact. It is also much lighter than the DualSense, giving it a "cheaper" feel. The texture on it is nice, though. Finally, the regular rumble versus the haptics is the real killer. I miss the "full" haptics and resistive triggers on my DualSense. Hopefully, MS adds some similar features to a controller down the road.
  • The Xbox interface. I am having trouble finding things and navigating the "tile" system on the Series X. I don't think it is as intuitive as the PS5 UI (Then again, I miss the PS3/PS4 cross-media bar, as well!)
  • This is another controller issue, but I hate the small buttons for pausing and sharing . The DualSense "Options" and "Create" button are easier to find quickly without looking.
  • Achievements vs. Trophies. Trophies win -- hands down. I am not a "trophy hunter" by any stretch. But, I do look at the trophy list and I enjoy trying to get as many as I can on games I enjoy. With Gamerscore, I just don't "get it." There is a maximum Gamerscore on each game with a running overall Gamerscore. But, I think the simplicity of the trophy system just makes more sense and I feel like progress in each game and overall trophy counts are easier to conceptualize for me. With the way Gamerscore works, I don't see going after those achievements in the same way that I do for trophies.
  • As an aside, it seems that my XBox is running a bit "hotter" than by PS5 when I put my hand over the top vent. It is still whisper quiet though (as is my PS5, contrary to some reports out there of loud PS5s).

And... after one weekend, I am super happy I bought the Series X, but my experience so far is a bit more negative than positive. Again, this may simply be due to the fact that I am not used to the Xbox interface and system. But, comparing it to my PS5 (not taking GP into account), the PS5 comes out ahead for me for the reasons I listed above.

Not sure if anyone has any suggestions for me to make my experience better, but anything would be appreciated! :)

Also, for those of you who have sort of done the same thing -- gone from PlayStation (and PS5 specifically this generation) -- then bought an X/S, how have your experiences been?
Great post, totally understandable positives and negatives đź‘Ť glad you are enjoying it and I'm jealous of your expansion card!đź‘Ť

Ravenash

Apr 16, 2020
So, I just bought a Series X this weekend from Best Buy. Couldn't just buy the system outright and the only way to get it was to do the $35/month deal that comes with two years of Game Pass Ultimate. So, I got the system, an extra controller, the 1TB memory card and rechargeable batteries for the controllers. As someone who has not had an Xbox system since the original Xbox, here are my thoughts after one weekend with the Series X. As a caveat regarding my impressions, I have been a PlayStation person every generation and have been very invested in that ecosystem. So, I think that my perceptions may be sort of clouded by that long-term experience.

Positives:
  • The best thing that I can say about my purchase is GamePass, GamePass, GamePass. Holy Crap!! This is amazing. I can't believe the number of games on there that I have either previously purchased from PSN or have been on my list of games that I want to buy. New releases, classic games... all downloadable. Really amazing. I have played a bit of Forza Horizon, Flight Simulator and (I hate to say it) MLB: The Show. (I got a kick out of seeing the Sony logo and PlayStation symbols pop up on the screen!). (But, I have really been sucked into Ori and the Blind Forest. What a beautiful, amazing experience that game has been.) I never "got" all the GP accolades before. Now, I get it. The value here will more than make up for the cost of the Xbox just based upon not having to buy all of these games and future releases that I would have purchased on PSN.
  • The ease of adding the 1TB memory expansion to the console. Just stick the little card in the back of the machine? Really? No covers to pop off? No screws to remove? No "spacers" to space? Really makes it simple.
  • Quick Resume? Yes! Great feature! Hopefully, Sony adds this feature to PS5 in a future update.
  • The Xbox app made setting up the Series X a breeze. Reminded me of how Amazon has you set up an Alexa device. Super easy.
Negatives:
  • The controller. I really do not like it. For one thing, I am just used to having the sticks in line, with the D-pad being above the left stick. It is just my muscle memory, but I find that I am having trouble getting used to the difference. That may change in time, but for now, I keep missing the left stick and can't find the D-pad without looking down. The D-pad design itself is not great for me either and I don't get a good feel with it. I have seen posts from people about how the DualSense cramps their hands. Well, for me, the Xbox controller is not comfortable. Personally, the DualSense's longer handles and triggers feels better to me. The Xbox controller seems more compact. It is also much lighter than the DualSense, giving it a "cheaper" feel. The texture on it is nice, though. Finally, the regular rumble versus the haptics is the real killer. I miss the "full" haptics and resistive triggers on my DualSense. Hopefully, MS adds some similar features to a controller down the road.
  • The Xbox interface. I am having trouble finding things and navigating the "tile" system on the Series X. I don't think it is as intuitive as the PS5 UI (Then again, I miss the PS3/PS4 cross-media bar, as well!)
  • This is another controller issue, but I hate the small buttons for pausing and sharing . The DualSense "Options" and "Create" button are easier to find quickly without looking.
  • Achievements vs. Trophies. Trophies win -- hands down. I am not a "trophy hunter" by any stretch. But, I do look at the trophy list and I enjoy trying to get as many as I can on games I enjoy. With Gamerscore, I just don't "get it." There is a maximum Gamerscore on each game with a running overall Gamerscore. But, I think the simplicity of the trophy system just makes more sense and I feel like progress in each game and overall trophy counts are easier to conceptualize for me. With the way Gamerscore works, I don't see going after those achievements in the same way that I do for trophies.
  • As an aside, it seems that my XBox is running a bit "hotter" than by PS5 when I put my hand over the top vent. It is still whisper quiet though (as is my PS5, contrary to some reports out there of loud PS5s).

And... after one weekend, I am super happy I bought the Series X, but my experience so far is a bit more negative than positive. Again, this may simply be due to the fact that I am not used to the Xbox interface and system. But, comparing it to my PS5 (not taking GP into account), the PS5 comes out ahead for me for the reasons I listed above.

Not sure if anyone has any suggestions for me to make my experience better, but anything would be appreciated! :)

Also, for those of you who have sort of done the same thing -- gone from PlayStation (and PS5 specifically this generation) -- then bought an X/S, how have your experiences been?
I think is just a habit thing, all the negative things you said about the Series X, i have them with my PS5, but that's because i use my series X way more than my PS5 hahaha.

Oct 31, 2017
I really want to like my series x but it has been one bad luck after the other. I'm on my 3rd series x and I'm scared to play the darn thing. Right now it keeps crashing while playing Scarlett Nexus so I'm blaming the game for now. Will play gotg and hope it doesn't crash.
Also can't get Live to connect. The loud clicky buttons also annoy my wife.

I really do like the console just sad I may have gotten 3 bad consoles ;_;

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Controller comes down to preference but I really don't see the complaints about the UI. I will say it's not beginner-friendly but once you get used to it I find it faster and easier than the PS5 and PS4's UI.

I agree about achievements though, they've needed an overhaul for years now and I really hope their UX team is working on something because in it's current state it feels almost worthless.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree about the controller. DualSense is just infinitely more comfortable for me. Whenever I play something on Series X it's just so awkward using the controller with the way the hand holds jut out further. Offset sticks don't really bother me much though.

berts08

Jul 27, 2020
I agree with most of your negatives, I just could not get used to the controller. Also hated the UI (which was a huge deciding factor to get rid) PlayStation is in another ballpark when it comes to UI. Also, I agree with Trophies is far better for me, I'm a trophy hunter with over 220 plats. I couldn't stand achievements.

This will most likely turn a few heads, but I don't see any value in game pass at all for me. I have it until 2024 and have only played like 2 games. I do prefer to own my own games, and I just don't have the time for game pass to be a benefit for me.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I've had both since near launch and love them both (love my Switch OLED as well). Controller is just preference. While I had dual analogs on PlayStation earlier, I didn't really play many dual analog games before some stuff on original Xbox and especially 360 so I have a muscle memory preference for offset sticks. Though I hate the Dpad positioning in the Xbox controller and thus prefer PS controllers for 2D games. In any case, I don't mind the dual shock/sense layout and switch between them easily.

Gamepass is definitely the big draw of Xbox for me now as someone who doesn't collect games. That had it getting most of my playtime this gen for a long stretch, though PS5 has gotten nearly all my time lately with Horizon FW and opting for that version of Elden Ring. Elite controller with paddles is a plus too. Shit build quality, but my V1 is good again after having a buddy put in new sticks to replace drifting ones.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think which ever achievement side you first get invested in is the one you prefer the most. When I got my PS4 after always being on Xbox I couldn't care less for Trophies, and I still don't. The Platinum trophy is a nice idea, but other than that I just don't care. Whereas with achievements I still get tempted to go out of my way to unlock a couple, even though I really don't care for achievements as much as I used to.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
With emulation, I have played my Series X a ton. I love GamePass as well, but emulation support and BC were very important to me.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I think which ever achievement side you first get invested in is the one you prefer the most. When I got my PS4 after always being on Xbox I couldn't care less for Trophies, and I still don't. The Platinum trophy is a nice idea, but other than that I just don't care. Whereas with achievements I still get tempted to go out of my way to unlock a couple, even though I really don't care for achievements as much as I used to.

Agreed. I started on Xbox, and I could not care less about trophies. To be honest, I barely care about either, but I do like to see the achievement unlocked toast.

Also, achievements turn into money for Game Pass subscriptions or gift cards using Microsoft Rewards. I've made over $200 with it since I started in early 2021.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I dislike the home page. I'd prefer the "My games and apps" section to be the first thing the Xbox launches into. Also the game card related info is nice, but most wouldn't know it's there, so it should be integrated into the dash when you navigate to a game, like Sony does it.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a ps5 for comparison, but I agree that achievement lists are too buried on Xbox. I'm not even an achievement hunter but sometimes after I complete a game I like to extend the life of the game by completing some.

That said, I love my series x. Welcome to the party!

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Honestly I think the biggest thing is there's a reason to own all of the consoles now. It has been hard to say that with Xbox for quite some time.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis

Positives:
Negatives:

This sounds really positive, even though there's more negatives listed. The negatives are really "I'm not used to the system/controller/UI so it feels weird" except for preferring haptics, and it took me awhile in the opposite direction but it started feeling normal-ish.

The one thing I would suggest about the menu system is that it does indeed get easier to navigate once it clicks -- but there's a lot more options, which leads to more layers.

A couple suggestions:

1. Absolutely customize the UI. Colors, backgrounds, pictures, etc. I gots a whole lot of purple going on.​
2. PINS! GROUPS! Learn them, use them, love them.​
3. Don't sleep on customizing the order of the quick menu -- especially before you get used to one way or the other.​
4. The built-in LFG works surprisingly well for many titles. In clubs --> multiplayer. I don't know how'd I have managed Destiny for years without it, especially pre-Discord. YMMV based on the game and its community of course.​
5. Remember that Game Pass has built-in cloud launcher for any supported game that isn't already downloaded. Great for new users to check out lots of titles and browse.​

and finally

6. If in applicable country, get hooked up with MS rewards. You'll be surprised how quickly the points add up. Free s*&t is good s^&t. I get $10 automatically dropped in my account every month without really trying too hard, for example.​

Enjoy!

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
4. The built-in LFG works surprisingly well for many titles. In clubs --> multiplayer. I don't know how'd I have managed Destiny for years without it, especially pre-Discord. YMMV based on the game and its community of course.

Cannot stress this enough, went from PS4 to Series X and did not know about the LFG feature for the first few months, it is really amazing

I hated the UI as well, until I started to customize it. Now I vastly prefer it (to PS4, no experience with PS5)

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
I actually like the Xbox's lightweight controller. The Dual Sense is cool because of the haptic feedback but I think the Xbox has better ergonomics.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it does feel kind of...hasty to put down three negatives that come down to 'not used to the controller/UI yet after spending a weekend with Xbox and 20 years with Dual Shocks'.

I've been buying all consoles for the last twenty years and I must say, the Xbox Series X is my favorite piece of hardware ever. I like the controller, the system is responsive and quiet with good build quality, hardly any loading times, Quick Resume, Game Pass giving me more games than I could ever play while spending less,...

It's not that I don't like the PS5, but I just have hardly had any reason to power it on.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Cannot stress this enough, went from PS4 to Series X and did not know about the LFG feature for the first few months, it is really amazing
Best kept secret in Xbox, and I'm not sure why. So efficient and easy and it's been there forever. Why don't people use/talk about it more?Maybe I just don't have enough friends. : (

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing offline since the jump and I wouldn't have it any other way. Among other things, being able to throw my character in a bush and shut down the system instead of finding a site of grace has been awesome.
Finding a site of grace for what? The game saves constantly. You can just go to the menu and select quit at any time and resume from where you were.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Finding a site of grace for what? The game saves constantly. You can just go to the menu and select quit at any time and resume from where you were.
Oh yeah? Had no idea. I just go to the dashboard or shut the whole thing down and fire it back up when it comes time to play. I think I've actually quit to the main menu once or twice and both times I went to a site of grace to have a place to load back into when I returned (obviously wrong I see now). Quick Resume has me spoiled.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
There's definitely been a few improvements to Quick Resume since release.

In the early days I'd say that QR mostly worked but was a little temperamental.

Now I've got (offline) games that have been in the QR queue for several weeks then reload for hours of play with zero problems.

Mar 27, 2022
It's odd. I'm like you - PS user, had a ps5, never owned an Xbox. Finally bought a series X.

I ended up liking the Series X much more than the PS5. So much so that I mainly use the Series X now.

And at first it's hard to say why. The PS5 gets better performance out of 3rd parties. The controller is rechargeable and comes packed with features. The wi-fi is faster, the non existent load times etc.

I think the Xbox just has the feature set for me where it's counts.

The UI is fast and snappy and simply makes more sense to me. The PS5 ui feels bloated and slow in comparison. Firing up my PS5 feels like a "whole thing" compared to my XSX.

The controller just feels a million times better to me. Not just the ergonomics. The actual texture and the buttons feel snappy and awesome. Compared to the PS5 buttons, which now feel quite mushy to me.

Quick Resume is amazing. And it means so much more to me than the fast loading. I think I hate splash screens way more than I ever would have expected. Quick Resume is one of those features that I thought I wouldn't care about but now is basically one of the more necessary features to me.

I think it's because I tend to hop around to games quite a bit. And when I do feel like popping into a game, it's often impulsive and usually as a quick break between tasks work. (Like fire up a forza, w/e).

Also, and this is weird, but I love how freaking long the controller lasts. My PS5 controllers almost always feel running low. I freaking hate how long it takes to charge them up. Although less eco-friendly, and I hate to admit it, but I love that I can just swap batteries on the XSX controller.

And then when you consider GamePass, VRR (although I think PS5 is getting this soon), etc, I'm quite happy with the XSX. Was genuinely not expecting to switch. I thought it would be the Halo/Bethesda machine. And yet I end up getting all 3rd parties on it.

Ultimately, though, I think it's just small quirks of my set-up and preferences, but the XSX is definitely more comfortable to me.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
never owned an Xbox and really had no reason to buy one but Game Pass and the ability to emulate old systems that I don't have access to anymore like the GameCube, PS2 and PSP is really justifying my purchase.

I didn't splurge for the Series X tho but the Series S is more than up to the task that I need it to perform. most of my gaming is still tied to PlayStation and Nintendo systems so those will be my primary platforms of choice but having a sub giving access to games from some of my favorite devs like Arkane and iD on day one is also a neat incentive.

Last edited:

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
I've been mainly playstation, but the point someone brought up about legacy content is true. Xbox is doing it right overall. I just bought street fighter 30th anniversary for xbox one(to play on series x) over ps4/ps5.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is that I just got a PS5 while always being an owner of Xbox machines and the issues I have are exactly the same, inverted. It is is just how you are used to, those issues go away after a while.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's odd. I'm like you - PS user, had a ps5, never owned an Xbox. Finally bought a series X.

I ended up liking the Series X much more than the PS5. So much so that I mainly use the Series X now.

And at first it's hard to say why. The PS5 gets better performance out of 3rd parties. The controller is rechargeable and comes packed with features. The wi-fi is faster, the non existent load times etc.

I think the Xbox just has the feature set for me where it's counts.

The UI is fast and snappy and simply makes more sense to me. The PS5 ui feels bloated and slow in comparison. Firing up my PS5 feels like a "whole thing" compared to my XSX.

The controller just feels a million times better to me. Not just the ergonomics. The actual texture and the buttons feel snappy and awesome. Compared to the PS5 buttons, which now feel quite mushy to me.

Quick Resume is amazing. And it means so much more to me than the fast loading. I think I hate splash screens way more than I ever would have expected. Quick Resume is one of those features that I thought I wouldn't care about but now is basically one of the more necessary features to me.

I think it's because I tend to hop around to games quite a bit. And when I do feel like popping into a game, it's often impulsive and usually as a quick break between tasks work. (Like fire up a forza, w/e).

Also, and this is weird, but I love how freaking long the controller lasts. My PS5 controllers almost always feel running low. I freaking hate how long it takes to charge them up. Although less eco-friendly, and I hate to admit it, but I love that I can just swap batteries on the XSX controller.

And then when you consider GamePass, VRR (although I think PS5 is getting this soon), etc, I'm quite happy with the XSX. Was genuinely not expecting to switch. I thought it would be the Halo/Bethesda machine. And yet I end up getting all 3rd parties on it.

Ultimately, though, I think it's just small quirks of my set-up and preferences, but the XSX is definitely more comfortable to me.
PS5 does not have better performance out of 3rd party games, either. They trade blows.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I keep almost pulling the trigger on the series s for gamepass. But this, just everything with the xbox just feels kinda... chintzy.

I know objectively this isn't the case, but boy have my experiences with xbox consoles of late have left me very whelmed.
Honestly, the controller isn't bad enough to skip out on gamepass. It's truly incredible, I've downloaded a lot of games I would've never bought.

In addition, I was able to purchase Red Dead Redemption for $15, which I had on PS3 but never got the chance to play. Backwards compatible is where it's at.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
The XSX was my first Gen9 console (and my first Xbox ever), I got the PS5 like a year after launch.

The controller transition was painless for me, as I mostly game on PC nowadays (so I was already used to the Xbox controller layout as the "default"). I will say that its a much easier transition from the DualSense to the Series pad, as their "hand feel" is pretty similar - they both fill your palm. Transitioning from a DualShock 4 to an Xbox pad, now that would have thrown me for a loop.. using a DS4 after any significant time spent with either Gen9 pad always feels alien to me, it takes a while to adjust every time.

I actually like the Xbox UI a lot more than the PS5's, it just makes sense to my brain a lot more. Yeah, its cluttered, but it's cluttered in a very "Windows" kind of way so I'm right at home. PS5 is much better at handling game updates though, I turn it on and everything queues up immediately, unlike the Xbox which takes its damn time figuring out which games have updates to download. I also hate how the XSX throttles download speed whenever you launch a game, regardless of whether the game you're playing uses network features or not.

Library is also a plus: aside from the obvious utility of XGP, the far superior backwards compatibility is fantastic, especially for people like me who have generally been on PlayStation in previous generations and missed out on early Xbox stuff. Smart Delivery is also awesome - while its not really a "revolutionary new feature" as much as it is "basic, common sense functionality that Sony should have adopted when designing their system", it works and it works well. Once you've been subjected to that "free PS5 upgrade" shit a couple of times, you're scarred for life lol.

Last edited:

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021
I think what drives me over to Xb ecosystem at this point, even with hangups on controller, is that MS has been more or less engineering these as *the* $300/500 boxes to play multiplats. Gamepass has a pretty massive selection all ways around, excellent modern display/audio support (HDR/DV/VRR/Atmos/Atmos for Headphones/etc just feel better integrated at system level than PS or PC solutions), with BC support that adds autoHDR and res/fps bump to most older games (not quite PC level but as good as you're going to get from a console, esp with console exclusives).

My strangest disappointment is honestly Quick Resume, it just breaks with every second modern game and forces restarts anyway (Elden Ring, Halo mp, etc), to the point that I don't really feel 'safe' using it except for a few titles.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
My strangest disappointment is honestly Quick Resume, it just breaks with every second modern game and forces restarts anyway (Elden Ring, Halo mp, etc), to the point that I don't really feel 'safe' using it except for a few titles.

Quick Resume doesn't work well (got obvious reasons) with always online games. Other than that it works great, and even some online games don't break often.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer achievements I mean they are the original. Xbox can't really change it now, trophies are just a reorganization of achievements and I like to see my score go up tbh.

As for controller I think it is totally an opinion thing unless you like the ps5 controller more for its new features which are definately a plus. Personally I can't play with a side by side stick set up without feeling at a major handicap in any game that is fast paced.

At the same time I don't really care much about quick resume or expandable storage. Expandable storage because it's way too expensive and quick resume because I generally only play one game at a time.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Each pros and cons. Power and graphics are proven to not be the difference factor.
Gamepass is the advantage of Xbox.
DualSense is the advantage of PS5.

I think Gamepass is the clear advantage of Xbox, but Dualsense is just a nice feature of PS5. The real selling point of PS is the exclusive games line-up. MS is making efforts to close the gap on exclusive content this gen but it was really wide last gen.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I hate the dual sense, it's a disadvantage for me. But like the post above said, it's the exclusives for sony that is an advantage.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Controller comes down to preference but I really don't see the complaints about the UI. I will say it's not beginner-friendly but once you get used to it I find it faster and easier than the PS5 and PS4's UI.

I agree about achievements though, they've needed an overhaul for years now and I really hope their UX team is working on something because in it's current state it feels almost worthless.

Agree with these comments. I will say that DualSense to me is just a cut above (and I have an elite series 2). But I don't get UI complaints either. Its much more customizable than the PS5. The PS5 UI is slowly improving but it was a downgrade in many ways from what was on PS4.

Achievements do need an overhaul. Even though MS pioneered this, I much prefer trophies. It feels like MS prioritizes a gamer score and Sony prioritizes by-game achievements in the form of trophies. Its largely semantics and visuals, but it just seems more meaningful to say you got a platinum trophy on a game than a 1000 gamerscore. Overall gamerscore to me I don't really care about because its a quantity thing rather than a quality thing. I'd much rather focus and compare achievements on individual games.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Since we're talking achievements here, I just wanna say that I wish they'd change it so that if you unlock an achievement when it's "rare" (and you get the diamond), it always stays rare and you keep the diamond.

That should be like a little stupid badge of honor that you got it before everyone else got it, I think.

Yeah, okay... it might be stupid and whatever, but I think it's more stupid that your diamond goes away just because more people got around to getting that achievement months or even years later.

Dec 11, 2017
I tend to prefer achievements as they're a score attached to your overall play. Trophies, specifically going for Plats, just seems like checklist gaming. Do people just sit there and go through lists until they hit it? It doesn't seem very organic in how I'd like to play.

I finish a game, I get whatever gamerscore out of it, and I move on to the next one.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would like achievement a lot more if Xbox has their own version of psnprofile, which has better design than anything from Sony or MS.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
I finish a game, I get whatever gamerscore out of it, and I move on to the next one.
Eh? I finish a game, I get whatever Trophies I got out of it, and I move on to the next one.

If I love a game then I'll rinse it for the plat, like I guess you might for the 1000 points.

The main difference is that I have a gamerscore of ~34k - it means nothing, most of those are 10pts for doing next to nothing for reward grinding. Conversely, I have ~10 plats, so I know I have completely rinsed 10 games at a glance...I also know how many harder trophies (gold) I have got at a glance...with gamerscore it's just a mush of numbers.

OP - I can also recommend the 20th anniversary controller, the rubber grips make ot feel a bit heavier and more comfortable to hold.