• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
You just need to get yourself into the industry at a low level,then work your way up until you are at the level of someone like a Cory Barlog.....then you might have a chance.Good luck!!

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I believe in you OP. Bookmarking this thread so I can look like Nostradamus in 20 years when this becomes glorious reality.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you dont need a degree to mod games or develop in Unity. Youre gonna have to put in some actual work one way or the other.

Like the 12 years olds making maps in Dreams are already getting more attention than simple ideas will get you.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Thought this might be a troll. If not then try and make it in dreams, it's the best shot you've got

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
The game in my head is a semi-open world story-driven action game including a multi-player feature integrated on single-player like Dark Souls. Its genre is a combination of RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS and will have a very VERY large environment with lots of massive scale of places and objects, lots of possibilities, lots of ways to play, and also multiple endings.
I'm sorry dude, but that's way too much. I don't think I'd want to play your game, that's just an overload of features and genres clashing.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody has ideas. That's the easy part. Whatever you're imagining has already been imagined by others who have been doing this a very long time.

The hard part is turning ideas into an actual product. That's why the game you're thinking of doesn't exist yet. Ideas are generally useless. Everyone has them. If you want to make your game, learn a skill.

People who actually know how to make games and fully understand the realities of development are the ones whose ideas matter.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Datebayo, follow your ninja road, dont listen to nay sayers, make it a switch exclusive while you are at it.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Surely, I was in delusion.šŸ˜¢

Nothing wrong with being creative and thinking of ideas, but ideas are a fiction without any ability to implement them. Either scale it your abilities and make it yourself or see if you can get a group of like-minded individuals together to mock something up.

Regardless, understand that your "big dream idea" isn't just going to get picked up, and it's likely not as good or original as you think it is. Recognition of that is part of the creative process, and then you build from there.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
wait

op

before you posted this thread, did you write down this idea and then mail it to yourself

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and foreverā„¢
Sep 24, 2019
Reminds me of that episode of Curb where Larry thinks he's an inventor because he has a bunch of ideas that he's never actually invented.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It's isolation time so i assume you're either trolling or just delusional haha

It's like the most expensive idea you could possibly make for a game, especially since it uses an existing IP.

Let me guess, the IP is the X-men or something

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
The game in my head is a semi-open world story-driven action game including a multi-player feature integrated on single-player like Dark Souls. Its genre is a combination of RPG, FPS, TPS, and RTS and will have a very VERY large environment with lots of massive scale of places and objects, lots of possibilities, lots of ways to play, and also multiple endings. The starting point will be the same, but the players' choices will completely change the course and the ways of play and storyline, as well as the different kinds of places and the ending can be reached.

I got you fam. Shiny Entertainment already made this game in the year 2000.
www.gog.com

Sacrifice

The Holy War is over. The demons of Gologotha have been banished, yet the cost has been t
The Holy War is over. The demons of Gologotha have been banished, yet the cost has been terribly high. The Creator, god of the Fyllid, has been defeated and the faith of the people has begun to wane. Petty squabbles among the five remaining gods has caused the land to split into five mystical territories - each at war with one another. Into this divided land steps a wizard, a man haunted by his past, whose choices will shape the future.

Which god will he choose? Will he sacrifice himself to change this world for the better, or will what remains of this world be sacrificed for one god's glory?
  • Sacrifice the souls of your enemies and raise an army that will crush their altars
  • Lead your wizard and pledge allegiance to one of the gods to learn new spells and summon new creatures
  • Huge replay possibilities and a unique interface make this title perfect for strategy and action game fans

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
According to what I've heard

1) Get some level/ game design education in college + chops as intern to develop game design skills and industry contacts
2) while doing that, work hard at developing the world/ story/ levels/ UI of your game, because you 100% have to remove the context from an IP you do not own.
Trademark the shit out of anything you create.
3) when you feel ready, gather a small team of graphic designers, coders, sound/ music guys, and start working on a small scale slice that you can use as demo - again, make sure your stuff is protected from IP theft.
4) shop your demo around until a publisher wants to help fund it, but they will probably ask to own your new IP/ game.

Alternative to 3 (the long road):
Get hired by a studio, after many years if you become well known/ game director you might get to create your project within a big Pub

Alternative to 4
Find pure financing to remain independent, via banks or private investors, but be ready to be 100% responsible personally if the project fails, losing everything you own and don't own in the process.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Idea is an easy part. Every developers already have enough people who can come up with the same type of idea that you have. The difficult part is how the break down your idea into realistic work flow and time line.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Take your idea and make a prototype in Unity. It doesn't even need graphics everything can be boxes.

Big publishers still won't care, but at least you can have other people play it and tell you if it's fun or not.

Harry Keogh

Jan 22, 2018
Please take this from me as a game designer with two decades of experience. There is no shortage of ideas in the industry. The difficult part is to rally the support of people with different interests and agendas in a huge corporation and being able to pull the right strings and moves to sustain momentum internally to your team and externally to the leadership through years of development and millions of dollars you are going to burn every month.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
No offense OP, but I hate this shit. I have friends that come to me (as a mediocre developer) with the best new idea in the world, they just need me to make it happen.

People don't understand how hard this shit is.

weepninnybong

Dec 5, 2017
Ideas are practically worthless. It's the team and execution that make a good game. There's nothing that would be classified as an "idea" that has any real worth when it comes to planning and designing a game these days.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes the elusive ideaguy, quite rare around these parts.

jokes aside OP, those are some... high expectations to say the least.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
One bit of advice I'll give you is that developers often will actively avoid hearing your ideas. Its not because they want to be assholes, but because of a number of reasons.

One that I dont see mentioned often (though it might have been mentioned in this thread and I missed it) is for legal reasons. If they hear out your idea then it can actually make life legally difficult for the studio/publisher. The less they hear the better. Especially because whatever idea you might have could already be something they are working on, and then they have to deal with a potential legal headache down the line of you stating that you're the reason they incorporated this mechanic or setting or whatever.

Aside from that I'm sure others have mentioned all the other reasons. Games are hard. If you have a good idea then make a prototype and use that - thats how you can get publishers on board, if you have a tangible playable product for them to look at. OR something like a previs video with a game design document etc

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
According to what I've heard

1) Get some level/ game design education in college + chops as intern to develop game design skills and industry contacts
2) while doing that, work hard at developing the world/ story/ levels/ UI of your game, because you 100% have to remove the context from an IP you do not own.
Trademark the shit out of anything you create.
3) when you feel ready, gather a small team of graphic designers, coders, sound/ music guys, and start working on a small scale slice that you can use as demo - again, make sure your stuff is protected from IP theft.
4) shop your demo around until a publisher wants to help fund it, but they will probably ask to own your new IP/ game.

Alternative to 3 (the long road):
Get hired by a studio, after many years if you become well known/ game director you might get to create your project within a big Pub

Alternative to 4
Find pure financing to remain independent, via banks or private investors, but be ready to be 100% responsible personally if the project fails, losing everything you own and don't own in the process.

There is another road. Just produce anything. Make it huge and successful and show that just your name alone will be enough to sell games. A Christopher Nolan or Vince Gilligan would be able to pitch a game idea having never been involved in game development, but even those seminal producers would be hard pressed to have a major publisher green light a AAA game...but it is as realistic a route to consider as any I've read itt.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I suggest you go into the CEO office, give him a firm handshake and hand him your post printed in color.
It worked back in my day.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Ideas don't make games in the AAA space, it's a long process of market research and concept designs that go through numerous iterations before moving to vertical slices/proof of concepts to be presented to publishers for a Greenlight. Generally the few that make it to that point and get approved further get changed to fit overall market strategies and buisness realities (ie: Leveraging IPs, new hardware, high engagement trends, ect...) to say nothing of developement realities that further shape a game.

Your best bet to show you have a revolutionary idea for a video game is to make a bite-sized showcase/demo akin to most indie games.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every single person at every single video game company has at least 5 different ideas for a new game they want to make.

Try creating a playable demo that will prove your idea. If you don't have the endurance to do that then it probably wasn't meant to be.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Are we not gonna guess what the IP is? What IPs never used in video games work well with RTS?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's no avenue for this. download an engine and make it yourself

Could probably make it in Dreams and hope it goes viral enough that someone out there thinks to themselves "this person has potential!", but outside of that you'd probably have to go indie and work on much more modest projects for a few decades. šŸ¤”

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Has no experience making games.

Wants to create one of the most ambitious titles ever.

The first sign of someone not knowing what they are doing is thinking incredibly challenging things are easy to do.

I have lots of game ideas too. Or ideas for games that could exist in franchises. Even I'm batshit scared of em. One or two I'm sort of pursuing. But that's totally different. The one is just a story. The other is something I can realistically prototype and shelf for later.

Ask yourself this question: can you meaningfully create a demo or prototype that will explain your idea. Can you design a compelling outline of it.

Until both of those are a yes, you either make it yourself or keep it stored somewhere when you can do those things or have the credibility to speak of them.

What you are asking is like an easy way into Hollywood except you literally have no experience and would probably be crushed by the weight of the project.

Your very approach to it is quite telling.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
You might as well tell us what IP you're thinking about Kanethered because there's no way to pitch this to anyone legally short of making it yourself. Curious about that aspect lol.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
You don't really have an idea for a game here, you are just describing some game genres, and concepts like story-telling, multiple-endings, player choices. A game is not built with that in mind at first, it has to start from something.

I've been working in AAA games for years now, but I've never started a project from scratch. But over the course of working on some huge games, you get to work on a lot of things. Whether it's combat, itemization, racing AI, character upgrades, mission design, everything has to always to go back to the start. What? Why? How?. Not everyone uses it, but whenever I start something, I always go through the Golden Circle.

I'm sure you have a way better understanding of what you want in your game than what you posted here. Just take a step back and try to answer simple questions about your concept : What? Why? How? And slowly build from there.

A good exercise might be to try to analyze some games and try to see what they did, how they did it and understand why. You'll notice pretty quickly that every game at its core is pretty simple. Just start with simpler games, like a Pac-Man, and then move on to others. Retro-engineering games is one of my favorite things to do and sometimes you figure things out that you'd have never thought of because concentrating on it.

Forget about IPs, don't shackle yourself with that.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I wish I had a link to it but about 2 years ago I remember watching a really slick proof-of-concept video for an action adventure game that visually used nothing but UE4's default cubes and off-white texture.

Every single person at every single video game company has at least 5 different ideas for a new game they want to make.

Try creating a playable demo that will prove your idea. If you don't have the endurance to do that then it probably wasn't meant to be.

I opened up a word doc I've had since 2010 where I keep running notes on game ideas. I have 22, including a full trilogy and spin-off.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, learning enough unity or gamemaker to make a hobby project is probably the perfect way to experiment with genre mixing. Making the mix work would take a bunch of testing and doing that in high-quality graphics would get expensiiiiiive. There's a bunch of hobbyist tools and tutorials out there that are cheap or free.

The closest thing to "idea guy" as a real job is probably to write a book that gets popular enough that you get a chance to pitch someone on adapting it.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
The first step would be learn how to program.

Then strip out all of the intellectual property that belongs to someone else and come up with your own new setting/characters.

Then work on it nonstop by yourself for many years, maybe eventually get a couple other people to help you who will drop in and out over the course of development.

Maybe after 8-10 years you might finally finish making the game.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I understand OP is being fucking dog-piled but.

For the record, I had a game idea in 2008 after playing Puzzle Quest: combine an RPG and Dance Dance Revolution.

So I made it and it sold pretty well.

End of story.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I think some people are a little cruel, but chances are your idea isn't new and someone has already thought it up at the very studios you want to present to.
And without a design document, you won't get in the door with any studio, let alone Sony or MS.

So I would start by documenting your idea in a document, and fleshing it out. You may find some ideas don't work and throw it out. And go from there.
Maybe you can build a prototype and maybe your big genre mash up will end up being a mash up of fewer more focused genres and end up being a hit. That's how the creative process works sometimes.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
No one wants your ideas. There are already too many ideas. Every developer on the planet is literally full of people who all have ideas for video games they want to make. Most of THEM can't get their ideas made. People who have shipped multiple games, who have done work on AAA titles and made small fortunes off it can't get their own ideas made -- particularly ideas as open and big as the one you described.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Real answer, you build a prototype, fund a team, and get to work on it yourself, then carry that and a pitch to various publishers.

You will not succeed unless you realize no one will care and you'll have to do it ALL yourself.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
Come on OP, now that everyone has crushed your dreams, let us at least know about it :)