• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
OP:

1555556900503.gif

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I agree. It generally lowers the level of discourse and I feel the act of sharing memes conditions people toward rote repetition rather than individual expression. I don't mind that too much when the people doing it are at least self-aware and nihilistic about it (i.e. saying their individual expression is unimportant because our generation has been set on a doomed path, I get that), but it's such a bummer to see people participate in the cycle unaware of how it's breaking their brains. It's also, of course, alarmingly insidious how memes have the potential to influence the cultural and political dialogue without attaching specific names or ideological banners to their messages. Thirty years ago we could have just said, "Oh, that's Dave. He's a Nazi." and dismiss the message out of hand.

That being said, of course I still participate in this shit.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Memes can be funny from time to time but I have to agree that the meme culture itself is really annoying especially when it goes too far. I remember when Etika was clearly struggling mentally and his "fans" kept bombarding him with all the stupid memes. Even after his suicide they wouldn't stop memeing. It was disgusting really.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Memes are the modern Art of the information age, the great figures of history would have embraced memes wholeheartedly, we'd have DaVinci memes and fresh dank Aristoteles memes!

What we have instead in classical Art are Bananas taped to a wall so that rich people can circumvent taxes, start loving them memes son!

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I hate memes too. I know it is because I am a Boomer. They are everywhere and really adds nothing to any conversation. People with nothing to say post memes. I can see a title of a topic and know what memes will be posted already.

Copypasta is another hatred of mine.

Boomer over here.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Meh like any medium it has its ups and downs. A lot of times people with no actual desire for discussion just post them for "lulz" and many are overused to the point they lose all effectiveness but like any attempt at comedy some are good. It's just that of people who think they are funny probably 10% or less actually are

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm a graphic designer, and am very familiar with Dadaism. Though I don't agree that memes are a revival of that movement; well, at least not in one particular regard. That is, where Dadaism mocked societal norms, it seems more and more apparent that memes are beginning to influence societal norms more than they mock them (largely due to the influence / accessibility of social media).

That said, there's absolutely validity in the comparison, but it's not one that excites me, lol. I mean, Dadaism prefaced one of the darkest times in modern history, and really underscores modern events echoing those of the past. Shit is scary, haha.

I...uhhh...is that really what you think I'd like to accomplish given my posts on this thread? Wow.

a graphic designer stand up comedian? Shit man you got all the tools to be a meme generator, why you choose to be this salty.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
a graphic designer stand up comedian? Shit man you got all the tools to be a meme generator, why you choose to be this salty.

haha, I mean, they would almost certainly just get stolen by some uncreative leach on instagram or facebook, and reshared a million times without me getting any credit. What's the point in creating if it's just going to make other people money? Memes are a dead end for creative effort because there are other people out there who don't have to spend time creating, so they just steal, repost, and profit.

Nah. That aint for me.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
In moderation sending the odd meme across can be quite funny but you really need to back it up with a solid sense of humour of your own - it seems too many people are replacing a sense of humour with just sending memes and I don't really get much joy in that

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I'm constantly being accused of being a curmudgeon on this site, but even I don't have an issue with memes or "meme culture", whatever that is. Many of them are just silly or stupid, but many of them also pass along very progressive ideas, which is at a premium these days.

That said, on something like Facebook, constant memes can get pretty monotonous and tiresome. I endeavor to mostly contribute original content myself, which is honestly what I prefer to read most of the time, as well. Friends who never post anything but memes I usually end up unfollowing. It's all about balance, people.

There's nothing wrong with memes.

Like everything in comedy, the secret is timing and context. Of course plenty of people will be bad at it. And I'd agree that "meme culture", such as it is, encourages people to use memes mindlessly - but all trash culture makes people do things in a thoughtless or tasteless way. Memes are no different.

But memes are a form of expression particularly suited to the internet as it has developed.

They can be perfect at the right moment.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
In moderation sending the odd meme across can be quite funny but you really need to back it up with a solid sense of humour of your own - it seems too many people are replacing a sense of humour with just sending memes and I don't really get much joy in that

For sure, they can be entertaining. I suppose I tire of them because I see them shared by 15 people in a day, from 13 different "meme pages", all posted w/out comment or credit to the creator.

I'm constantly being accused of being a curmudgeon on this site, but even I don't have an issue with memes or "meme culture", whatever that is. Many of them are just silly or stupid, but many of them also pass along very progressive ideas, which is at a premium these days.

That said, on something like Facebook, constant memes can get pretty monotonous and tiresome. I endeavor to mostly contribute original content myself, which is honestly what I prefer to read most of the time, as well. Friends who never post anything but memes I usually end up unfollowing. It's all about balance, people.

I define "meme culture" as the culture of searching out and sharing memes (which at this point is pretty loosely defined as a simple macro image) and then shit posting them all over the internet.

Again though, my issue isn't really the "memes" themselves, just the way they've diluted creativity among people, because it's easier to follow an account and redistribute that content for the dopamine rush that comes with a handful of likes. I'm more bothered with the stealing & curating of original content for mass distribution than I am memes themselves, and I definitely could have communicated that better in the OP.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Again though, my issue isn't really the "memes" themselves, just the way they've diluted creativity among people, because it's easier to follow an account and redistribute that content for the dopamine rush that comes with a handful of likes. I'm more bothered with the stealing & curating of original content for mass distribution than I am memes themselves, and I definitely could have communicated that better in the OP.
Eh, this is more or less how it was (except it was on broadsides and in publications vs memes) before intellectual property laws were introduced later in the 19th-century. Didn't seem to negatively impact creativity or creative industries too much back then. *shrug*

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Eh, this is more or less how it was (except it was on broadsides and in publications vs memes) before intellectual property laws were introduced later in the 19th-century. Didn't seem to negatively impact creativity or creative industries too much back then. *shrug*

I'm not sure the two periods are really comparable in this regard. The internet has fundamentally changed things, where now dozens of people can steal the same content w/out credit and make hundreds or thousands of dollars monthly on stolen content w/out any effort. You also didn't have instant mass distribution of content, so stolen works didn't have the same impact on the creator and the worth of their property.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure the two periods are really comparable in this regard. The internet has fundamentally changed things, where now dozens of people can steal the same content w/out credit and make hundreds or thousands of dollars monthly on stolen content w/out any effort. You also didn't have instant mass distribution of content, so stolen works didn't have the same impact on the creator and the worth of their property.

Conversely, copyright law can stifle creativity as well. A lot of good ideas come from people doing things unofficially. Sonic Mania was made because of unauthorized mods. The western anime community mainly exists because of pirating and fan translations jump starting it. The reason memes proliferate is because people quickly riff on ideas of others and are able to share things without worrying about ownership. Yes, it sucks when people take others' content and make bank without the owner getting any credit, but copyright laws are also very easily abused by big corporations to crush small creators.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy a lot of memes but a lot of people I know don't even make jokes anymore. They just send me memes or reference them.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
*no fun allowed*

OP, did you ever consider the complete wild west of idea trading that is the internet actually enables creativity?
Capitalism generally doesn't help creativity much as people are looking to create something that sells, rather than something that's genuinely creative.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Conversely, copyright law can stifle creativity as well. A lot of good ideas come from people doing things unofficially. Sonic Mania was made because of unauthorized mods. The western anime community mainly exists because of pirating and fan translations jump starting it. The reason memes proliferate is because people quickly riff on ideas of others and are able to share things without worrying about ownership. Yes, it sucks when people take others' content and make bank without the owner getting any credit, but copyright laws are also very easily abused by big corporations to crush small creators.

There's a pretty big gulf between "riffing" and "stealing".

I really need to update my OP to more clearly communicate it, but I think that ship has sailed as the thread continues to fill with memes, haha. At least I know there are a handful of people out there who are with my grumpy ass.

*no fun allowed*

OP, did you ever consider the complete wild west of idea trading that is the internet actually enables creativity?
Capitalism generally doesn't help creativity much as people are looking to create something that sells, rather than something that's genuinely creative.

Of course, but I've also considered the people I know who have had jokes / content stolen & circulated as memes before they could get them finished / in a set or special, and then had to scrap them entirely as someone profits off of their work.

I imagine if I would have framed this thread as targeting "thehandyj" (the latest "fuckjerry" account) I probably would have had a more fruitful thread, but it is what it is. I'm just tired of meme culture inspiring and enabling people to steal the work of others for profit and there being no mechanisms in place to protect their content.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought memes were ok before I got introduced to delitizing

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Among "types" of jokes it definitely is one of the worst when it comes to uncreative and repetitive behavior. It encourages it by creating one-size-fits-all packaging for any observation or comment.

I think there's something uniquely internet about them, in a way that's interesting and fresh - that it's all democratic and it recontextualizes prior work constantly. That's a feature, not a bug.

But then you visit r/ComedyCemetery and no, it's awful.

Dec 22, 2017
As someone who used to create art and share it online, I can understand the sentiment. A few years ago the top post on reddit was a screenshot of someone's facebook post quoting one of my webcomics. No attribution or link or anything.

I honestly questioned why I bother spending so much time drawing stuff when a screenshot of twitter or FB is enough to get a laugh out of people. But it's just how things are these days and you either accept it or you don't.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Among "types" of jokes it definitely is one of the worst when it comes to uncreative and repetitive behavior. It encourages it by creating one-size-fits-all packaging for any observation or comment.

I think there's something uniquely internet about them, in a way that's interesting and fresh - that it's all democratic and it recontextualizes prior work constantly. That's a feature, not a bug.

But then you visit r/ComedyCemetery and no, it's awful.

You realize that a lot of that sub is people ironically creating intentionally bad memes, right

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Memes are funny. Meme pages are garbage and always post the worst memes. Meme culture can be pretty bad.