• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
If you'd studied art history, you'd know about Dadaism, and memes are like a turbo-charged revival of that.

I absolutely love it.

I mean, I'm a graphic designer, and am very familiar with Dadaism. Though I don't agree that memes are a revival of that movement; well, at least not in one particular regard. That is, where Dadaism mocked societal norms, it seems more and more apparent that memes are beginning to influence societal norms more than they mock them (largely due to the influence / accessibility of social media).

That said, there's absolutely validity in the comparison, but it's not one that excites me, lol. I mean, Dadaism prefaced one of the darkest times in modern history, and really underscores modern events echoing those of the past. Shit is scary, haha.

Hah.

Gatekeeping comedy.

I...uhhh...is that really what you think I'd like to accomplish given my posts on this thread? Wow.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
tenor.gif

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I really like memes. They encapsulate a whole lot of the current state of affairs in the world in very easily-reproducible and digestible ways.

They dank af too

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I mean, I'm a graphic designer, and am very familiar with Dadaism. Though I don't agree that memes are a revival of that movement; well, at least not in one particular regard. That is, where Dadaism mocked societal norms, it seems more and more apparent that memes are beginning to influence societal norms more than they mock them (largely due to the influence / accessibility of social media).

That said, there's absolutely validity in the comparison, but it's not one that excites me, lol. I mean, Dadaism prefaced one of the darkest times in modern history, and really underscores modern events echoing those of the past. Shit is scary, haha.
That's one thing I hadn't considered. Even though the audience is very different.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Memes are just how people share ideas. Usually the same ideas, but they're the dna of the soul

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I like memes.

But I'll admit sometimes I skip the first page in threads because I know the first several posts will probably be memes, and page 2 will likely have more actual discussion.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I really like memes. They encapsulate a whole lot of the current state of affairs in the world in very easily-reproducible and digestible ways.

They dank af too

I really enjoyed them like a decade ago during the era of Bad Luck Brian and all that.

But now we have stuff like FuckJerry and thehandyj, who are stealing content from comedians, artists, and creators, repurposing it and profiting from it without credit. It's super shitty.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
That's one thing I hadn't considered. Even though the audience is very different.

Oh yea, 100% accurate. To be honest it's not a comparison I had given much thought to until you brought it up, lol. It feels like a really fun discussion to have.

I'm gonna go fish for some articles or studies now...

What's that got to do with memes?

It's got everything to do with meme culture. In that people are so eager to consume and share things that they aren't willing to consider or care about where it came from. It's a distillation of creative value.

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I really enjoyed them like a decade ago during the era of Bad Luck Brian and all that.

But now we have stuff like FuckJerry and thehandyj, who are stealing content from comedians, artists, and creators, repurposing it and profiting from it without credit. It's super shitty.
I can't imagine caring this much about funny pictures with words on them.

OP
OP
8byte

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I can't imagine caring this much about funny pictures with words on them.
I mean, I'm a content creator, though not a great one (honesty is important) and even I have had content ripped off before without getting any credit. I can only imagine how that feels for people who depend on social outlets to gain an audience and make a living...only to have some shitpost account steal your creative thoughts and make money off them.
Is it wrong to value creatives? Why should I be embarrassed for caring about people who have their work stolen? That's a weird take.

Oct 25, 2017
I like some memes. I don't like other memes. I don't like people who only meme.

But the idea that memes have replaced more nuanced and creative output rings false to me because most people are not funny or interesting in the first place. Memes let those people attempt and sometimes succeed at humor, garnering them positive social reinforcement. People who are actually funny and creative will be funny and creative, sometimes even through the use of memes.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, I'm a content creator, though not a great one (honesty is important) and even I have had content ripped off before without getting any credit. I can only imagine how that feels for people who depend on social outlets to gain an audience and make a living...only to have some shitpost account steal your creative thoughts and make money off them.
Is it wrong to value creatives? Why should I be embarrassed for caring about people who have their work stolen? That's a weird take.
We are talking about memes.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like conversation irl and online has really suffered because everyone wants to meme everything and everyone Quasimodo predicted all this you know.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I agree that memes are like a new form of art, and more accessible to those who lack a talent for drawing or the written word. When they're forced by corporations, or by other forms of media, then they kind of suck. The OP's correct in that meme "culture" kind of sucks, but as a medium it distills the essence of the artistic dialogue, which is the foundation of the exchange of creative ideas from antiquity, and mass democratizes it. Most art is a blend of a response to society and/or to other art. Memes allow for instant and direct response to either.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
Memes can be great. It's gotten annoying having so many friends use memes through text instead of actually coming up with something funny to say though. So I guess I'm not a huge fan of meme culture.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Ironically enough, part of the reason I dislike memes so strongly is because I do stand-up, and have made friends with lots of very talented, funny, and good natured comics around the country who have had content stolen by these meme accounts, with little course of action because Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook have pretty poor systems in place to correct this kind of stuff.

I mean I know that's not at all what you suggested I do, but it felt like a good opportunity to explain my thoughts a little better.
Thats awesome, makes sense, at least that will always have a market so I wish you luck. But yeah its def crazy to see one page post original content and then a thousand other page posts the same content and just add it to their list of memes they use every day and stay popular just by doing that.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Meme culture" as we know it is a collective reflection on the psychological forces that had already been present and influencing culture for thousands of years, albeit in a state of hyper-awareness. This new culture was driven by the rise of the internet, which allowed people to watch jokes and innocuous observations mutate into other forms in real-time, at an accelerated rate. Moreover, the ability to transform the collective culture shifted from an elite privilege, to one as readily available as a public PC at a local library. With this awesome power, a mere keystroke could provide the basis for cults, ignite widespread violence, or even shape the future of international politics. In this essay, I will explain how the 1998 anime Serial Experiments Lain
Present day

Present time

Hahahahahahahaha

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I just fucking detest it. Nothing stops me from disengaging with a person faster than "have you seen this meme?"

This is what I hate about it. I don't mind if it's stupid. I don't mind if it's pointless (I still don't know what the fuck the Loss meme is about). I don't mind that it's lame. But I do mind that I need to be in on it. Like, Twitter and Facebook have been less fun for me because they're no longer functioning as a window or a bridge to the thoughts and lives of friends and family who I can't be regularly in touch with and are instead breeding grounds to reproduce content that consumes as much as it is consumed. It's a collective conscious I don't necessarily get or enjoy and it sucks.

Jun 17, 2019
For those who say it hurts no one when content is stolen by these memes. Think of it this way. If a youtuber makes a sketch and then someone else takes this sketch and just adds some fade to it or something. Doesn't that seem shitty since the person that stole the sketch may be making money off stolen property.

Or equate it to the famous artist who left a comment on some cosplayers instagrams and then made a fortune when he took a screenshot of the images and resold them by including his comment On them. The ladies tried to get their rights back, but they couldn't sue him. They had never agreed to it because he was claiming transformative art.

So yeah, people making mees should credit their sources.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
For so many reasons. I'm already fully prepared for a Big thread backfire...but is there anyone else out there that feels the same?
Not only do they stifle creativity, but they're fueled by content thieves who are making a living off the work of others. Stealing funny tweets / jokes / images, and using them to gain a following on social media to sell sponsorships.

Outside of that, I think they genuinely stop people from sharing any original thoughts, shorten attention spans, and reduce nuanced ideas or topics to two sentences without any context or substance.

I just fucking detest it. Nothing stops me from disengaging with a person faster than "have you seen this meme?"

the meme and 'meme cultre' are not started recently and through the internet.

Literally every culture since the beginning of time is a 'meme' if you think about it.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I do enjoy a good meme here and there, but there are soo many reposts of the same meme that it eventually loses its effect. I also agree that it completely stifles creativity, when so many people repost the same meme and drown out a lot of other content.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry op, I totally agree with you and your posts, especially when meme pages on insta and Facebook just recycle old shit so boomers and casual millennials can obsessively follow their pages.

people here are just gonna troll you though, because this site is the biggest meme of all