• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Xenomorph is clearly top dog. Incredible design work.

An aside: Do Dragons not count? It's not like they're real, lol.
giphy.gif

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyways, I don't know if they win, but I think Mind Flayers (aka Illithids) are in contention. They're one of D&D's most dreadful monsters, a race of super-powered psionics intent on enslaving or killing everything that's not them.

479b1a8bde0f56a001ef89b2e3c640b0.jpg
Mind Flayers are cool.

But I hate, hate, hate them as enemies. Nooooooo don't eat my braaaaain and drain my levels.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
file.jpg

Even now these guys are super menacing and otherworldly. None of the redesigns lives up to the original.

Shut up, they totally count.

Aug 13, 2019
The Xenomorph is indeed the best monster design and nothing has topped it yet.
I'm a fan of 3rd form Freiza and Imperfect Cell, both of whom are clearly influenced by it.
df8b802c42111e74a2e4ebb9e5641c2455680609_hq.jpg

Shara-Ishvalda 1st Form
monster-hunter-world-icebornes-final-boss.jpg

And Second
maxresdefault.jpg
And, of course, my favorite monster

I really love Godzilla's design. The Original, the Hesei designs and Shin are my absolute favorite giant monsters.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
file.jpg

Even now these guys are super menacing and otherworldly. None of the redesigns lives up to the original.

Shut up, they totally count.

Honestly I think Spielberg's velociraptors would totally count, considering how real life velociraptors were like half the size and feathered

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Everyone's got me covered but I was a big fan of the creatures from The Ritual. So fucking creepy. Also the Thing, Pale Man, the bikers from Mandy and Godzilla.

Speaking of I hadn't seen the form from Shin Godzilla until now and I wish that had been in the actual film. Especially since Anno loves his humanoid giant monsters since Evangelion.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being really fascinated by xenomorphs as a kid because they were really the first kinds of creatures I'd seen that were being called aliens that actually looked really alien to me. So many "aliens" were way too humanoid, or looked like a creature that could theoretically exist on Earth...and then there were these things. I didn't really watch the movies (too young), but I had several of the toys and they were some of my favorite toys. lol

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Nothing tops the Xenomorph and nothing ever will.

it's the perfect mix of Human and Inhuman qualities

Literally a species/race that exists to hybridize itself to become the best version of whatever it bred from. The Zerg before the Zerg.

And acid blood defense mechanism on death.

Short incubation cycle

Metabolism so slow, food not necessary

Practically 360 degree vision plus pharmone detection.

Perfection. That's why the Predators enjoy hunting them.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I need to watch a good straight up monster movie. My wife and I love horror movies so much, but I've stopped us from watching a lot of them lately. I found my brother dead and naked on the floor of his bedroom a month and a half ago, and my mind still isn't right. We were re-watching Hereditary the other day, and the closer we got to that part of the movie with all of the dead naked people, I started hyperventilating and we had to stop. I can deal with guts and gore and a traditional monster movie, and this thread has me feeling like it's time to give horror another go.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
The best monster has to be The Thing. It has so many forms, and all of them are terrifying.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
It's not from a full movie sadly, it's from the short films that are part of the Oats project that Niel Blomkamp made. It's a cool short and doesn't overstay it's welcome at least, worth watching.

There's quite a few really cool designs in those Oats short films. I wish they would have been able to turn Rakka into an actual movie. Some of the coolest looking and unique alien species/tech to come out in a while.

featured-rakka.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
OP you're absolutely right. Xenomorph is quite amazing in design. It has a neat life cycle too which is a cherry on top, with those designs being fantastic as well. Facehugger to chestburster to smaller xeno to big xeno, it's perfection.

The Terminator is great design for it's purpose.
source.gif

I dunno about best, but the first thing that came to mind was Dark Souls basilisks
S1RGsTpO5w2m9oPtIFK54CwmMFROPEroHrP8wEvahQg.jpg
OMG the little eyes lmao never noticed

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I always have to shout Pumpkinhead in these threads. Clearly influenced by Giger and the Alien, but stands apart as one of the most convincingly realized practical creatures I have ever seen.

set0003-WM-CROP.jpg

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
You covered the Attack the Block aliens, which are my personal favorite. The very first time you see the black version of them on screen is such a cool moment.