• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Both companies (in America at least) are going to launch in November, days after the elections.

People will go out in droves to buy a new console, either as a celebration, or as retail therapy for another tragedy.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Won't be THAT early, no way.

Also, we had to all see all this name/abbreviation stuff coming when they announced it... Xbox Series X does not exactly roll off the tongue even a little. Neither does XsX, SX maybe but then you lose the X(box) part.

It's just a mess lol.

Not sure how nobody ever thought of this during development, but the name is irrelevant so it won't matter in the long run right?

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Wanna get the jump on PS5? Support it and release it in more markets. Pretty much the whole of Asia is neglected for instance, compared to PS and Ninty.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Lol yeah sure one month or two is so important lol.

Like someone will say "man I want PS5 so bad but I don't want to wait another two months, I'm buying series X"

Really?

Jun 17, 2018
Most likely late mid November to early December like previous console releases. They will want to capitalise on the Christmas I imagine.

Oct 29, 2017
Getting the good PR from an initial launch explosion in sales pre-black Friday is far more important than any 2 month headstart.

November is the standard console launch month for a good reason. Not having "Record Beating!" sales for your console launch week is a bad look, both towards the public and towards 3rd party developers (who will make snap judement calls on business deals and console support based on that initial launch).

Your console's sales need to look good right from the get-go and any wavering in those initial sales will give your publishing & retail partners cold feet... See Wii U...

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox is rumoured to be coming in "hot" in regards to their next-gen launch so choosing to make that situation worse for themselves by launching 2 months before the date that they are expected to just to get a "head start" would make not make any difference. The risks outweight the benefits.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I don't think very many people are going to impulse buy a €500 piece of hardware because they're too impatient to wait another 6 weeks for the one they want.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox is rumoured to be coming in "hot" in regards to their next-gen launch so choosing to make that situation worse for themselves by launching 2 months before the date that they are expected to just to get a "head start" would make not make any difference. The risks outweight the benefits.
Coming in hot?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It's searchable, but yeah okay, I'll link it.
Oke. But here is Pennello.

I would define "tapeout" as the ready-to-manufacture silicon. This would be final production ready silicon that is ready to mass-produce in volumes.

That generally happens very shortly before launch - typically less than a year. In fact, Scorpio tapeout IIRC happened in March 2017. Bringup (or the first piece of manufactured silicon that can be put in prototype boxes) came in December 2016 (so about a little less than a year before launch).

Phil has tweeted that they had takehome units shortly before Christmas, which by my estimation would mean they are past bringup, but prior to tapeout, but actually ahead of schedule relative to Scorpio which was a pretty smooth process. So I would say things seem to be going well.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Even better at E3 they should just say you can buy at stores now.... You know like the saturn

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Since announcement, its been filed as SeX Box in my mind. Something to get into.

OT I would expect November.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Whatever the release date will be, it's already set in stone, +/- one or two weeks. Late November would be my guess too.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Oke. But here is Pennello.
There is more to a console's launch preparadness than just silicon, and it's Penello though who's not been there in almost 2 years. Basing Xbox being "ahead of schedule" by referencing a tweet that Phil took a devunit home (which really is tenuous) and his point of comparison is an upgraded console than a brand new one with fundamentally differentiating design and parts.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
There is more to a console's launch preparadness than just silicon, and it's Penello though who's not been there in almost 2 years. Basing Xbox being "ahead of schedule" by referencing a tweet that Phil took a devunit home (which really is tenuous) and his point of comparison is an upgraded console than a brand new one with fundamentally differentiating design and parts.

That doesnt matter. He knows how this works and how console launches work technical wise. I am more likely believe someone like that then a journalist who hears from sources. Wich is not a jab to Jason tho.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know about September, but I feel they wanna launch before Sony. IMO they want this gen over with ASAP.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Releasing it sooner would make no difference, both consoles will sold out on release. Starting to manufacture the console earlier could make a bit of difference I guess, but I doubt rushing that process would be a good idea.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
November is when people lose their shit and start buying stuff they don't need though, I'm sure there is research that says that somewhere.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm not sure if that will be enough to overcome the mighty PS5. I mean did you see how many insta likes it got?

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
That doesnt matter. He knows how this works and how console launches work technical wise. I am more likely believe someone like that then a journalist who hears from sources. Wich is not a jab to Jason tho.

I have don't have to currently work there to remember dates. :)

Phil tweeted in January 2017 (the same year of launch) that he played his first Scorpio games.

Phil tweeted in December 2019 (a month earlier relative to launch) that he had Scarlett take home units.

Based on when I know we had Scorpio takehome units (because I was there) and assuming Phil is telling the truth (which I know he is), that would suggest the project is a little ahead of the *Scorpio* schedule in relative terms. Or as I actually said, "seem to be going well"

I have no idea if they are ahead of schedule and almost they certainly aren't going to ship earlier in the year. My comment was merely to suggest that I doubt things are coming in hot either, since the Scorpio HW program went pretty smoothly.