• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not one to complain about personalities online but dan can be so insufferable when he doesnt like something that other people do. I really wish someone would explain to him that he doesnt have to remind the world how much he hates something every time someone else mentions that they like a game.

In other news, I'm still super excited to play death stranding since I dont trust Dan's opinion at all when it comes to games.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one to complain about personalities online but dan can be so insufferable when he doesnt like something that other people do. I really wish someone would explain to him that he doesnt have to remind the world how much he hates something every time someone else mentions that they like a game.

In other news, I'm still super excited to play death stranding since I dont trust Dan's opinion at all when it comes to games.

Yeah, Dan can be a bit obnoxious when he doesn't like something and someone else does. Despite generally agreeing with him on a lot of the things he likes/dislikes, I still have a hard time getting through him trying to knock games down during GOTY conversations sometimes.

Nov 8, 2017
I found it interesting when on the Giant Beastcast last week when one of their last conversations was reflecting on how comparatively poor 2019 had been for games. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but considering they were all playing DS at the time I think that played into how they felt considering that aside from the Star Wars game it's the last big release of the year (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm interested to hear their discussions about it once the embargo lifts.

Compared to what? 2019 has been a great year and still has a few huge titles we'll see in the next 2 months. I don't see how Death Stranding would have a measurable impact on the rest of the years releases, even if its a disappointment.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
There's many things I love about Giant Bomb, but the way Jeff (and now Dan) don't give a shit about being outspoken when they don't like a game is one of my favorites. Specifically because gaming communities just go crazy over opinions they disagree with even if they're offered meekly.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He can't write women, and I have no idea who, if anyone, is even editing him on this project to try to keep his worst impulses in that respect in check.
I want to go full on hype train with this game especially now that we ARE getting it on PC, but I'm legit worried about that one aspect.

I even like the designs somewhat, the writing worries me.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
But I think this shouldn't be used to describe games like RDR2. It's not divisive. It's Metacritic score is super high, it's sold like 30 million units.

Every poll about it is 50/50 and it has an unusually low story playthrough rate according to trophies/achievements.

Media not caring about any of the flaws because its the rockstar way doesn't change that.

But yeah, Death Stranding scores will be all over the place.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly expect Death Stranding to review incredibly well.

Not sure what the popular reception will be after the initial hype wears off though. Seems like the kind of game that will be polarizing. (just not necessarily with game reviewers)

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every poll about it is 50/50 and it has an unusually low story playthrough rate according to trophies/achievements.

Media not caring about any of the flaws because its the rockstar way doesn't change that.

Eta polls are not in any way shape or form representative of the general gaming public. The game is not divisive outside this message board, it's overwhelmingly praised.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know who this Dan guy is or why people keep bringing him up but it's totally fine for him to not be Into something that is different than his expectations. Doesn't mean anything about the game itself.
*Looks at avatar*
Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios

I really find it hard to believe you don't know who Dan is with all the shenanigans Adam Boyes and Dave Lang get up to with Giant Bomb.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
And then you have Giantbomb who apparently didn't give a fuck and caused meltdowns in 3 separate ERA threads

Giant Bomb in no way broke embargo. Dan just said he has a new level of respect for RDR2 (having previously not liked it). People are taking it to mean that to him, Death Stranding is even more laborious and slow.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

28% (checked just now on PS4) for story playthrough is NOT unusual, especially not for long form games like RDR 2. (plus a lot of people play primarily online)

GTA 5's final mission trophy is 17%....

Last edited:

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
We know the gameplay will be fantastic and that's what matters.
Thats the most mysterious part, that and the pacing because I know its going to look fantastic, its going to have a great ost and the story plus motion capture is going to be incredibly entertaining. So the most mysterious part for me is the pacing and the gameplay, everything else I know is going to be quality.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't think there's going to be any middle ground, the game is either going to be shit or great.

I've thought for a while it looks pretty bad and I completely agree with Dan with regards to RDR2 so I'm thinking it's the case here too.

Either way I'll be playing it day one. It's either great and that's good, or it's terrible and that's fun too seeing just how bad it is and laughing at it. Fun times will be had whatever the outcome.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Me, still waiting for Sony to reply to my review code requests while every other outlet has 5 copies:

source.gif

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah the GB Cook Serve Delicious 3 QL EX was quite something with Dan having to bite his lip not to talk about Death Stranding.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Y'all over here defending embargoes like some sort of corporate slave or something. Like why is half of this thread dedicated to GiantBomb's ability or inability to follow the rules of an embargo? Who cares?

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Honestly I could have told everyone Dan would end up hating death stranding after seeing the gameplay. Does not seem like something he would be into besides being made by Kojima

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I *hope* the scores are all over the place and that leads to discussion on it, but this is video games so instead some reviewers will get swatted or doxxed or something :/

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun is subjective, you'll have to play it yourself to know if you like the gameplay, it's +30 hours long.

Well, what I mean is like, does the core gameplay loop get old after a while or not. I'm on the fence on the "Delivery" thing. I think it can be fun but...for how long, I wonder.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all over here defending embargoes like some sort of corporate slave or something. Like why is half of this thread dedicated to GiantBomb's ability or inability to follow the rules of an embargo? Who cares?
embargoes can be silly but are overwhelmingly a better way to do reviews - if a site does reviews - as long as sites get the thing early enough as opposed to having people trying to finish a 20, 30, 40+ hour game AND write about it in about as much time in the rush to be one of the first reviews posted and get the traffic reward

Mar 18, 2019
Kojima games almost always end up being divisive in some way. It's been a common pattern with Kojima ever since MGS2. His weirdness is like Marmite. And that's only elevated his status. Love him or hate him, you can't ignore him.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Rules are great. Authority is great. Mmm, I love the taste of these leathery boots on my face.

For real though, all Dan did was talk _around_ the game. Big deal.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just want this game to have a satisfying ending. There are a lot of games I love that ended terribly. GTAV, MGSV, Uncharted 3, The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
28% (checked just now on PS4) for story playthrough is NOT unusual, especially not for long form games like RDR 2. (plus a lot of people play primarily online)

GTA 5's final mission trophy is 17%....

For comparison, Assassin's Creed Origins is at 38.8%, and I'm pretty sure it's a longer game.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I have zero interest in death stranding a loved MGS. I'm honestly shocked so many people are excited for this game, feel like people are watching something different to what I've seen in terms of promotional content.

The reviews will be very interesting. Hopefully it sells me on it. But to me it just looks like the wrong kind of absurd/pretentious.

May 5, 2018
I want Jim Sterling to give it a 6.
Too bad Jim doesn't do review scores anymore. If he hypothetically ends up hating it, he might post a drunken video slamming the game like he did Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

Death Stranding doesn't have micro transactions though so Jim will
most certainly like Death Stranding more than Breakpoint though.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's one of those games where I will have to skip all podcasts until I get to play it - so I don't get spoiled.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Some things from the spilers thread got me worried, but some sound exciting too ?

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, apart from liking the visuals and being interested in the story, this looks like the literal opposite of everything i enjoy and find interesting in a game. I doubt i'm alone on this. I think there's gonna be a lot of disappointed people come review time.

That's why I've been wary of the hype for this game. Everything I've seen of the gameplay just seems "meh". Interesting stuff, but I can't say that any of it actually seems like it'd be "fun" for my personal tastes. I had the same problem with RDR2 though.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if half the people in this thread got their way, neither Nier nor Deadly Premonition would be where they are today.

Fuck the idea that gameplay has to be a priority.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You will be ashamed of your squirms and gahs.

I'll laugh if this turns out to be another The Last Jedi. Hopefully in that case I fall on the side of enjoying it. lol

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'll drop a hot take and say that people expressing anger about Giant Bomb's supposed loose treatment of embargoes do not actually care about embargoes.

People in the Death Stranding review anticipation thread anxiously asking around about hype tweets from reviewers sure as hell didn't, sooooo...

It's the same shit with every hotly anticipated exclusive's review threads. People trying to downplay reviewers who aren't as hot on their exclusive and everything. Like when some people suddenly turn on gamexplain because Andre wasn't completely in love with Mario Maker 2 or some shit.

Last edited: