• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I forgot why I never gave this game a chance... login in it's a pain in the ass.

So, I played a beta on PS3 back in the day, when I got a PS4 tried to play it there but it was impossible to log in.

Half a decade later I'm willing to buy the game and voil la, it's impossible.

First, obviously I have an account with my credentials, I don't remember some info but I got my ID and Pass so one would think that's enough... well, it's enough to enter in the website at least but not in the game, why?

Here's why, it might be possible I have two accounts but I'm not sure, on the website my ID is Mega-Sackman and I had my PSN account linked just right.
When I got to PS4 my ID is hard locked as MegaSackman... ok... well, my password doesn't work so, bad luck huh.

Tried everything but I can'tget in so I unlinked my PSN account out of desperation from my Mega-Sackman account, huge mistake because now I can't link it back because it says I don't have permission on that server or some crap.

I thought it was because I was trying on mobile but I can't do it on my laptop either.

Anyway I created a new account with a new email but again, can't link my PSN account.

Can somebody please help me with this garbage?

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Email them or use their customer service chat and I imagine they'll get it sorted out.

May 17, 2018
I had the same situation a few months ago. Try logging in with youremail.Com .

The capital C is what helped me log in with my original name from the beta. No idea why. The system is ancient.

Sillution

Oct 25, 2017
I would reach out to Square Enix support. They have been helpful to me before in the past with getting my account back.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
For myself, I once had major issues because there was an invisible space after my email log in.

Nov 23, 2017
I had to use a burner PSN account to get around this hard locked username problem. Made an account, just didn't know the security answers from half a decade ago and they would never help me get the password.

OP
OP
MegaSackman

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So, in a weird way I finally could link up my PSN account to my new Square Enix account, however the older one it's still hard locked on the PS4 system so I can't log in into the game yet.

Trying to find the support channel for help.

Stanicle

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing for me and also at some point attached a security token to it. Emailed customer support and back in the game in 1 day.

Nov 1, 2017
I had this problem the other day as well, it left me annoyed and not wanting to play the game. I will add that once before I had said problem I called into support and they helped me out no problem.

OP
OP
MegaSackman

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I just sent an email but I'll keep looking for ways to get in, I can't believe how bad this is. It actually made me remember how pissed I was when I tried to play it at launch.

Edit: According to the internet, you can only have one ID per PS4 so in order to play with my new account I have to create a new PlayStation profile.

Master class, Squenix, master class.

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The beta fucked my account for years too. No idea why they've still got limitations set in place from players who touched it once on PS3 that long ago. I don't know what changed but eventually my account and PSN got unlinked and I could create a new SE account and play on my PSN.

And of course now I finally have access to the game and I'm struggling to play it with how mind numbingly boring it is lol

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's astounding how inept SE is at online sub management. I ended up subscribing to the wrong version of FF14 on my SE account because the Steam version has to be set up and linked as a separate "service account" under your SE account but they auto-create a non-Steam account when you login and I thought that was the Steam-related one I had bought. But then none of the codes worked and I had to do a bunch of research on how to get that to work right and now they refuse to refund the sub cost from the version I didn't want to play in the first place.

They've been doing this for almost 20 years, how is their account interface still this bad?

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MogStation account system being inept + PSN Account Linking being inept. Loads of fun for everyone! *cough*

Seems like I'm always hearing about this too.

OP
OP
MegaSackman

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So, I'm trying to get that og account back but when I try to change my password I can't get my security question right, I'm screwed, right?

I guess I just have to make a new PSN account but man, what a drag that is.

Edit: Good news, I figured out the answer for the security question.

Bad news, that's not the account I'm looking for, gee how many of this things I have set up?

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Square Enix login systems have always been terrible in an attempt to make them secure.

I could not get my old account back either so I just made a fresh account, not that I was very far in the game or remembered much of it.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
So, I'm trying to get that og account back but when I try to change my password I can't get my security question right, I'm screwed, right?

I guess I just have to make a new PSN account but man, what a drag that is.

Edit: Good news, I figured out the answer for the security question.

Bad news, that's not the account I'm looking for, gee how many of this things I have set up?

y'know, as bad as squeenix might be, it's almost like you might also be part of the problem, here :) ...

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Call their live chat. Had to reformat my phone once and lost the 2FA, they only asked me my email address registered to the account and then I got my account back.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Well that sucks, I'm glad I've never had any issues.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If you can find a link to their live chat, it'll take like 5 minutes to unlink an old account and link a new one. It's just a pain finding that link.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happened to me too during PS3->PS4 that I just made a new service account instead, it's a shit show and shocking that they still haven't fixed it. The game is great though (well not so much on pre HW) so it's probably worth the headache

OP
OP
MegaSackman

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
If you can find a link to their live chat, it'll take like 5 minutes to unlink an old account and link a new one. It's just a pain finding that link.

I got to the live chat but they're off right now, have to wait til tomorrow.

The good news is that I remembered my password for the MegaSackman account!

The bad news is that the account is inactive and I don't understand what they want me to do now with it but I'll keep working on it.

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I never had any kind of problem with account stuff while asking for help from SE, and I had big issues with accounts, but it was my fault, not their... so they fixed it everytime =)

Last edited:

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Yup, I had similar issues when I tried to get into the game. PSN is still positive I don't own FFXIV even though I own all the expansions because of some issue with the trial.

OP
OP
MegaSackman

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So I just can't register the game to my account, it says my subscription expired and I should restart the launcher, select account to confirm the status of my service but there's no such thing on PS4. I'm asked if I have a SE account, I select yes and log in, once I do that it tells me the same thing.

On the web site it says it can't be done through it, that I should do it on the PS4...

Edit: Oh, apparently the trial is not elegible for those that have already tried the game...

Last edited:

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
I forgot why I never gave this game a chance... login in it's a pain in the ass.

So, I played a beta on PS3 back in the day, when I got a PS4 tried to play it there but it was impossible to log in.

Half a decade later I'm willing to buy the game and voil la, it's impossible.

First, obviously I have an account with my credentials, I don't remember some info but I got my ID and Pass so one would think that's enough... well, it's enough to enter in the website at least but not in the game, why?

Here's why, it might be possible I have two accounts but I'm not sure, on the website my ID is Mega-Sackman and I had my PSN account linked just right.
When I got to PS4 my ID is hard locked as MegaSackman... ok... well, my password doesn't work so, bad luck huh.

Tried everything but I can'tget in so I unlinked my PSN account out of desperation from my Mega-Sackman account, huge mistake because now I can't link it back because it says I don't have permission on that server or some crap.

I thought it was because I was trying on mobile but I can't do it on my laptop either.

Anyway I created a new account with a new email but again, can't link my PSN account.

Can somebody please help me with this garbage?
I have the same exact problem. Expect 5 days to a week between correspondence via email. I would suggest calling. I haven't tried yet so I can't tell you for sure. What I can tell you is, from my correspondence so far, there is a SEN ID Unlink form that will need to be completed. I can't find the form in the link they sent me though. It's just not there. I'm two weeks into trying to get this resolved. I thought I'd give the game another chance as I last played it on the PS3 as well. At this point though I might just say the hell with it. We'll see. It's just such a hassle.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I just sent an email but I'll keep looking for ways to get in, I can't believe how bad this is. It actually made me remember how pissed I was when I tried to play it at launch.

Edit: According to the internet, you can only have one ID per PS4 so in order to play with my new account I have to create a new PlayStation profile.

Master class, Squenix, master class.

How's your account fumbling at all Square's fault? o_o;

OP
OP
MegaSackman

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Well, problem solved, aside from remembering the password from that old account (turns out it has an email associated from an old gaming website I managed a long time ago) I just couldn't "try" the game again, so I just took the leap and bought the starter edition, that just made the deal, it works now.

OP
OP
MegaSackman

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
How's your account fumbling at all Square's fault? o_o;

The problem is that if I lose an account from 6 years ago (in this case on a different system, PS3) because I'm not interested in the game but then want to come back, I'm screwed on PS4 because that account it's tied to your PSN account no matter what. Lucky me I somehow managed to remember my password for that account.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
The problem is that if I lose an account from 6 years ago (in this case on a different system, PS3) because I'm not interested in the game but then want to come back, I'm screwed on PS4 because that account it's tied to your PSN account no matter what. Lucky me I somehow managed to remember my password for that account.

So it was your fault then.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

But that's an issue with how Sony and PSN handles accounts, not Square? I never lost a single of my accounts tbh. Whenever I start an account based game, I put my account info in the game's package. I could still access my Everquest account if it were possible. XD

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God damnit SE why can't I remember my password!

Seriously try FFXI back in the day. You'll need your Square Enix password, and your PlayOnline password and unique ID. You can set your PlayOnline ID and password to be automatic which means you'll never need to know it, except when you try and find an old account. Luckily the online chat is actually quite good!

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Isn't this a Sony issue and not a Squenix issue? I'm pretty sure ist's their system you can't create multiple accounts on without rebuying the game on a burner account, not SE's. On PC this is no issue whatsoever.

To clarify, I have a similar issue atm (new well played PC account, old and barely used derelict PSN version). I also can't access the damn thing nor my current one on PS4 without buying the game again, and it sucks, but I'd blame Sony, not SE.

Oct 25, 2017
God damnit SE why can't I remember my password!

Seriously try FFXI back in the day. You'll need your Square Enix password, and your PlayOnline password and unique ID. You can set your PlayOnline ID and password to be automatic which means you'll never need to know it, except when you try and find an old account. Luckily the online chat is actually quite good!
PlayOnline was terrible, don't get me wrong, but at least you didn't need to link platform IDs or anything and you were only required to purchase software once if you wanted to access your account on multiple platforms.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated but do people use 2 factor auth on their account? It's a real pain having to log in with it especially on ps4 as it's nust annoying accessing your phone tablet each time

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Calling them was the most effective way to fix this, I promise you that.

Agreed x10000. Not only have I personally gone through this, but I've recently had to help a friend figure out how to log in as well. Emailing them is a waste of time and you'll only get frustrated. Their customer service has always been bad, but with all the Shadowbringers hype, you might as well be speaking to a SmarterChild AIM bot - completely useless.

If you can bare the long phone wait, that will probably be your best bet.

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry to bump this age old thread but I'm currently having a similar issue. Is there anyway to unlink a pan account and a Square Enix account? I've looked everywhere and I'm having no luck. Trying to unlink an old account because I don't remember the details anymore and I'd rather not make a burner account just to play it

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to bump this age old thread but I'm currently having a similar issue. Is there anyway to unlink a pan account and a Square Enix account? I've looked everywhere and I'm having no luck. Trying to unlink an old account because I don't remember the details anymore and I'd rather not make a burner account just to play it
Like the person above you said, call them. Their phone support is great for figuring out weird login problems, or recovering lost accounts, or whatever.