• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How you will play in your first playthrough?

• 60 FPS mode

Votes: 429 71.3%
  • Fidelity mode ( higher resolutions / improved graphical features )

Votes: 90 15.0%
  • Depend what graphic ( visuals) upgrades will be offered

Votes: 83 13.8%

• Total voters

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
This week I started and finished yesterday ryse of the tomb raider on PS4 Pro since game was available for free for Plus members.
I finished this game on release date on Xbox One in 2015.
Imstarted the game in the 4K mode because I am such a graphic enthusiast but man, when i changed to 60 FPS mode, the game feels and controls so much better!!
And the frame isn't even stable in this mode but the camera control get so much better and more enjoyable!!
I've been thinking this lately because many games on PS5/series X will Probable offer the options to play in 60 FPS mode with reduced graphical quality.
it will be a hard choice for me which option to choose in the first playthrough!
for exemple, watching that video from demon souls with gameplay in 60 FPS Made me think how much better the feel of the gameplay will be in this mode, but, for exemple, the miles morales will make me feel strange playing in 60 FPS mode if there's some graphical features available only in the 30 FPS mode...
so, how you guys feel about this.
which option you will choose in your first playthrough?

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
It depends but if it's just a switch to dynamic res or reconstruction versus native and it's a proper 60fps mode I'll choose that the vast majority of the time. Very excited that there are 60fps modes for games like Miles and Demon's Souls.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about graphics at all as long as the game functions properly. Graphics age way too quickly for me to get invested in - by comparison, solid frame rates are forever.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
60fps should be the standard nowadays. Games look and feel so much better.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
30 is fine for me. I wouldn't mind if ND's next game is 30 fps with this much power.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Framerate over everything else. Every time this thread gets posted I say the same thing, lol.

OP
OP
mcruz79

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
60 fps makes a game feel good to play

that's my feeling!
the controls become so much more enjoyable!!
but there's some developers that, i don't know how, make even 30 FPS feel really good to control!!
i remember spider man being super ultra enjoyable to control even if it's only 30 FPS!

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I will absolutely sacrifice 60fps for better graphic enhancements. I can barely tell the difference, not to mention have played countless great games sub 60fps.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
What I think is best is the trend that people are getting options in regards to console gaming, I hope this trend continues especially with all the dynamic resolution techniques like DLSS, check boarding and temporal resolution gaining traction.

I remember playing TLOU on ps3 which barely held 30 fps sometimes and replaying at 60fps on the ps4 remaster. Was definitely a better experience to play.

Also kind of my main problem with the Nintendo Switch as a console, can't even play a Unity engine game (Furi) at a consistent 60fps with the settings that they dialled in for the port.

STABLE 60fps is better than 30fps for sure, but if that isn't possible then I would prefer a stable 30fps or an optional performance mode that would get a locked 60.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take 60 FPS over native 4K every day of the week.

On PC, 1440p and 144+ FPS is the sweet spot.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I have come to prefer 144fps with adaptive sync, theres nothing like it, but 60fps minimum. Im a total whore for framerate. It improves the feel and look of the game FAR too much to sacrifice.

Keep the sub 60fps modes with improved visuals for stuff like bullshots and marketing material.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I won't give up FPS for resolution above 1080, but higher fidelity effects and raytracing will put me right at 30fps any day.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can only excuse 30fps when its on a turn based RPG. Even then, the menus should be @ 60fps.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
60 FPS makes for a far more readable image (more frames on screen) as well as making the game play better. It's an easy pick.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'll try both and decide from there. I do love 60fps, but that isn't always the best for me. For instance, I tried 4k30 and 1080p60 on Forza Horizon 4 on One X, and decided with 4k30. The resolution bump was so great that I couldn't sacrifice that much resolution.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Depends. How consistent is the performance mode is (locked or near it, wildly variable)? What concessions does it require? Is this a fast-paced or multiplayer game, or something that's slower paced?

These considerations lead me to make different decisions depending on the circumstance. For God of War, I've primarily played at 30 fps due to the far superior visuals but have switched to 60 during some fights. I opted for 30 over 60 in Hellblade and The Witness. In contrast, I opted for 60 in No Man's Sky as the resolution mode frequently drops below 30 fps and feels really poor to control.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
1440p high ultra at 144 hz has opened my eyes. But whatever it is i choose stability over everything else. Tearing or stutter hurt my brain.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the genre and how much I lose by going 60fps. Like for a game like DMCV, I can't and will not play that at 30fps, that game deserves 60fps.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Better graphics all day. The obsession with 60 FPS is something I've never understood. I guess some people are just more sensitive to framerates.

Nov 20, 2019
Depends. How consistent is the performance mode is (locked or near it, wildly variable)? What concessions does it require? Is this a fast-paced or multiplayer game, or something that's slower paced?

These considerations lead me to make different decisions depending on the circumstance. For God of War, I've primarily played at 30 fps due to the far superior visuals but have switched to 60 during some fights. I opted for 30 over 60 in Hellblade and The Witness. In contrast, I opted for 60 in No Man's Sky as the resolution mode frequently drops below 30 fps and feels really poor to control.
This.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Framerate without question. Visuals mean nothing to me if the game feels like shit to play.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
120 fps if I can chose, the massive way it improves game feel trumps how pretty something can look

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I will always choose 60fps

I hope that next gen we don't just get 4K 60 with less great graphics or 4K 30 with everything on.

Give me 1440p or 1080p 60fps with everything on

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
1440p120, even without checker boarding or DLSS on a 4K set is better than 4k60, and 30 is unbearable for me.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I typically go for graphics.

I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps though.

Oct 25, 2017
60 FPS for sure! Hell, I have much more fun playing Zelda ALBW than LW because of the 60 FPS feel. And the game was called ugly by reviewers itself. So yeah, i'm a frame-rate before resolution person.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
people that choose 4K/30fps are amateurs.
If you are a graphics enthusiast then 4K or 8K with Ray Tracing, AA and Aniso Maxed Out at 10 fps is the way to go, screw playability and responsivness, let me stare at those reflections and god rays.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
I play games to interact with them. 60fps results in better/more responsive interactivity while also providing smoother motion. 60fps every time without question.