• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which should I play?

• Skyrim

Votes: 111 39.9%
  • GTA V

Votes: 99 35.6%
  • None

Votes: 68 24.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Can we finally stop with this please? Both games go for something else. Both are great, but The Witcher 3 didn't thoroughly pass The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim at all. It does things better but it also does a lot of things worse.
Couldn't agree more. I'm still waiting for the game that will scratch that Elder Scrolls itch. It's been 8 years, but there are still none.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing gta v now, bought it when it launched and didn't really stick with it but I'm at nearly 100% completion now and it's been a blast.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
Skyrim is a pretty good game that is kind of done to death now. It has its flaws but overall is pretty good.
GTA V was a good sandbox if you never got over running around and causing chaos. It abandoned the more thoughtful approach to storytelling from IV and instead opted for a shallow "everything is equally bad" satire that never worked. Out of the whole game, there are maybe 2 likeable/interesting characters. It's also seems like Rockstar really hates the fanbase of the game, and inserted Trevor as a character to show that....which, of course, fans loved. So...eh. There's a lot of amazing details but the overall effect is not very strong.

Feb 5, 2020
Give GTA V a shot. If you like the movie Heat then you'll love this game's story mode. A lot of the humor is a outdated or on the nose but overall it's a great game with an interesting cast of characters and some fine writing.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
You don't have to play them.

Skyrim has nothing major over Oblivion. I'd advise playing that or Morrowind if you haven't because writing took a turn for the worse with Skyrim.

GTAV is a rockstar game and as such its gameplay is lacking (it's a mediocre driving game and a terrible TPS).

Last edited:

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
As one who has played both:

Skyrim blew me away first time playing it. It was quite something.

GTAV bored me like no other game has ever done before; What a snoozefest.

Different strokes for different folks though. Hope you enjoy whichever you pick!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So we should flaunt our status of being gaming unicorns and not submit to peer pressure? :P

I'm not sure to what extent we're "unicorns"; I think most people (as in, over half) have not actually played them. I can't think of any of my direct friends that have played them, as opposed to, say, BotW that pretty much all of them have played. Granted, we're all in our 40s so perhaps it's just the demographic.

(in my case I technically have played Skyrim, specifically about an hour of it).

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I had way more fun with Skyrim. Consider it one of the games of the decade. Whereas GTAV was not even top 5 of that year...maybe just.

Skyrim is old though. I don't know how it holds up.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I started both games and didn't finish either due to lack of investment and disliking the minute to minute gameplay. Skyrim especially I just absolutely hated playing; the world is fine but generic but the gameplay is just... not fun. It's not bad, it's totally adequate, but I got hyped for dragon battles and then realized it would be jankily shooting arrows randomly into the sky while the dragon does one of 3 animations over and over again.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
i would play Skyrim again....knowing what i know now.

GTA 5 is fine. but honestly its still not better than San Andreas. So i dont find it to be some kinda must play game.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
g2DltJC.jpg

n2fTGba.jpg

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've played both and feel you aren't missing much, from a gameplay perspective. Their respective genres are better represented elsewhere.

But GTAV's level of presentation is staggering.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
GTA.

You'll beat it in about 30-ish hours and then you can play Skyrim which, if you like it, you'll spend way more time on.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Skyrim is more fun imo, and the perfect game to forget the rest of your life.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played them either but I doubt it's that much different than other games in their genre.

So choose to play either Fallout New Vegas or Sleeping Dogs instead.

mils

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim is a terrible game. Awful combat, bad writing, and the monster and character design looks REALLY old at this point. The only thing going for it is the exploration. GTA V is a far better game but I wasn't a fan of it either but I can at least understand why it reviewed as well it did.

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim is a mediocre experience at best and most of the time it's worse. The only saving grace, like with any Bethesda game, are mods but I don't believe you wnat to tinker with those so choose GTA5.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot about Skyrim is not great, but it's totally fine and I can see why it's popular.
It's one of those games that asks very little of the player and you can just put it on and lose some time in its world.

GTAV is a game that I actively dislike due to the cast, story, world-building etc that they do.
It's still immature, sexist, homophobic, transphobic bullshit. Some might say "well they target everyone equally" but they're always punching down.
I picked it up for something like $7 after seeing Giant Bomb having fun playing the multiplayer heists -where only a small amount of that crept in- and regret doing so.

If you haven't played them until now, I don't know that I'd recommend seeking out either. You aren't missing out.

So choose to play either Fallout New Vegas or Sleeping Dogs instead.
This is a good recommendation.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Yes, despite both games being out for over 7 years at least and both being ported to everything under the sun, I've never played either game. I feel like I probably should try them since both are critically acclaimed but never found the time. Well since I'm cooped up in my house for an extended period of time, I decided I should probably try but I don't know which one I should go for. I also haven't played and GTA game nor any Elder series game if that helps.

That makes 4 of us and I'm cool with that. Talk about ERA's favorite passive-aggressive saying "It's not for me".

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
GTA V is fun as hell but the story is very poor and you shouldn't expect any character development.

Skyrim is a different animal but fun to get lost in and will last you months and months of gameplay.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both are amazing, you really can't go wrong. It depends if you want something slower paced and more RPG focused with exploration and crafting and things like Skyrim, or more of an action game based around story, driving, shooting, set pieces with GTAV.

I would also say 1st/3rd person is a consideration, but you can play Skyrim 3rd person with mods, and GTAV supports 1st person (how I played it on PC), so don't let that throw you.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Skyrim for sure. GTA5 has good graphics but I hated all the characters and the story.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played them either except a brief play of GTA on a friends console. One day maybe.

Mar 29, 2018
GTA V for sure.

Not because it's the better game, but because it's the more directed game. You have a higher chance of bouncing off Skyrim because it's so self directed. And FAR longer.

So play the wild ride that is GTA V, smoothly slide through it, enjoy, then move on to Skyrim and get really lost

Both are great games

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
GTAV - at least for a while - offers a lot of zany fun. Especially if you've not played much of the overall series. The open world might be the best ever created, too.

I'd recommend it over Skyrim 10/10 times, as the latter feels downright outdated in nearly every aspect. AI is dumb as bricks, combat sucks, and I don't find the writing or lore worthwhile.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
GTA V is one of the best games of all time.

Skyrim is... yeah, Bethesda. I find it very generic outside the main theme.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I found Skyrim to be a more compelling experience overall. Sure, it has its (many) flaws, but the world is actually super immersive and a lot of work went into worldbuilding.

GTA V just never hooked me in that way, it was more of a nostalgia romp for me.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
I've played Skyrim multiple times(mainly due to mods), but every time I see GTA5 on sale and go ponder on whether to buy it or not, I just feel like I'll get bored of it; it's an irrational feeling but whatever