• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I wanted to like it but this is worse than Andromeda in terms of bad. I have played for 2 hours and have crashed 8 times. This game is a joke.

Dec 20, 2017
Glad some people are having fun with Anthem. Despite the mostly negative impressions, I plan on giving it a go in a month or two.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"You should have posted this in the OT"
lol, no one would have said this if the OP had trashed the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem encompasses everything wrong with GaaS. It's a disgraceful product. Basically lost all respect for Bioware for releasing this turd of game after handing Mass Effect off to an unqualified rookie team.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem at its core has a lot of potential and the combat is a lot of fun. Sadly it's buried under a myriad of bugs, crashes, and half baked features. After playing Destiny and Division for years, there are a lot of glaring issues and missing features that Anthem still needs to have that are standard in other loot shooters.

Forgiven Empathy

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
And you're ignoring that the same things can happen with Anthem as it only JUST released and is meant to be a game that will be supported and improved over time... just... like... Destiny 1+2.
Destiny 1+2 starting with bad narratives didn't deserve the benifit of the doubt it's a GAAS game. Just because you're a game like that doesn't mean it's fine to launch with these issues, they should've got it right at the start like Destiny should've.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Having played The Division 2 beta and owning Anthem I can say both games are fun for me and are different enough that I will just hop between one and the other. Anthem has its fair share of problems but the gameplay is in my opinion fantastic. The gaps in content are concerning and will probably be addressed over time as they inject more missions into the game. Luckily The Division 2 will be there to be played and have full content for me, and once I grow tired of cover and shooting, I can go fly around in my metal suit and fly around in Bastion

Oct 27, 2017
I'm here with you, OP. I am enjoying it as well. Seems like this type of game always starts pretty weak. The community just REEEEAAALLY got behind fucking Anthem up. It's on the ground begging for help and we're all just kickin' it in the ribs over and over again. I am confident that, given the time these types of games typically take to mature a bit (6-12 months or so) once they go live, Anthem will be a great game. Right now I think it's good and am enjoying playing with randos and my brother. I've put 50 hours into it. I got Premium to get the early launch, and then I canceled that and just bought it outright for $45 so it didn't really cost me any extra. I was even kind of a dope and bought a pack of premium currency to waste on dumb shit.

My chief concern is, EA being EA, they're just going to be like "Fuck it. Minimal support..." within the first year and move Bioware onto another project or right into the dungheap. That seems like an improbable, stupid maneuver but, again, EA.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I can only say is that Bioware isn't making games for me anymore. And I have all the right to be sad about that.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Destiny 1+2 starting with bad narratives didn't deserve the benifit of the doubt it's a GAAS game. Just because you're a game like that doesn't mean it's fine to launch with these issues, they should've got it right at the start like Destiny should've.
Oh, I'm not excusing it for these flaws, just justifying the argument that was made.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll die on that hill with you op been playing it with my friend and its fine. i should mention all shooting games first person or third are all the same to me.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know Destiny 2 never hard crashed my system multiple times and didn't literally remove content weeks before launch so it could be added later. Destiny 2 never made me sit through a loading screen to equip loot, nor did it make it's second quest setting up the premium currency store. Destiny 2 had different guns with different models and feel, not the same model per class with different colors. Anthem had a shameful release when you compare it to it's contemporaries.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm here with you, OP. I am enjoying it as well. Seems like this type of game always starts pretty weak. The community just REEEEAAALLY got behind fucking Anthem up. It's on the ground begging for help and we're all just kickin' it in the ribs over and over again. I am confident that, given the time these types of games typically take to mature a bit (6-12 months or so) once they go live, Anthem will be a great game. Right now I think it's good and am enjoying playing with randos and my brother. I've put 50 hours into it. I got Premium to get the early launch, and then I canceled that and just bought it outright for $45 so it didn't really cost me any extra. I was even kind of a dope and bought a pack of premium currency to waste on dumb shit.

My chief concern is, EA being EA, they're just going to be like "Fuck it. Minimal support..." within the first year and move Bioware onto another project or right into the dungheap. That seems like an improbable, stupid maneuver but, again, EA.
Imagine buying a videogame for 60 dollars with the expectation that it will be good in 6-12 months. The absolute state of the modern consumer is sad.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's great that you are enjoying the game but it's a unfinished mess and considering how bad Mass Effect Andromeda and Mass Effect 3 were i don't think Bioware is even a good studio,let alone amazing.
all the good people that made bioware = bioware have jumped the ship a long time ago after EA bought them

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
You know Destiny 2 never hard crashed my system multiple times and didn't literally remove content weeks before launch so it could be added later. Destiny 2 never made me sit through a loading screen to equip loot, nor did it make it's second quest setting up the premium currency store. Destiny 2 had different guns with different models and feel, not the same model per class with different colors. Anthem had a shameful release when you compare it to it's contemporaries.

I never saw that pre-release video about customization Bioware did until Angry Joe's review videos and its hilarious how much stuff was either cut or is being saved for future updates. Rows and rows of taunts and decal finishes that arent anywhere in the full game. Ontop of stuff like flat out lying about the Walkers or weapons from the E3 footage.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not played Anthem, but BioWare are mediocre devs based on the last 2 games of thiers I played (Dragon Age: Inquisition, Andromeda). Probably the most painful fall from grace this gen.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Bioware are ok for now.

This game though.. I can't agree with a single thing you said, not 1.
I still think we'll know by summer whether they're "ok" or not. Andromeda had good support same as Anthem until the summer then from one day to the next news came that BioWare Montreal had been downsized and later closed.

I imagine internally it's not like EA told them before it happened either.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Really not interested in entertaining Bioware fans in complete denial. I was a Bioware fan too, but we all need to accept they're done.

I still think we'll know by summer whether they're "ok" or not. Andromeda had good support same as Anthem until the summer then from one day to the next news came that BioWare Montreal had been downsized and later closed.

I imagine internally it's not like EA told them before it happened either.

Andromeda had god awful support, they dropped it within months and it has egregious bugs and technical problems to this day.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anthem could get good in maybe 1-2 years

Division 2 Open Beta which is just a tiny fraction of the whole game has more and better Content than Anthem currently has to offer.
That alone is sad

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I can't take anyone too seriously when they completely ignore the glaring issues and missing features, it seems too much a one-side opinion.
You have to understand how lacking the game is, how unfinished it is.

I like the game, but that's as much as I can muster after 100 hrs played.
a9861fdcb0f0b02b2058b67b675da230.png

Today is the first day I'm thinking, "well the last week I've not got anything new and the only thing keeping me playing are the enjoyment of playing it with friends."
But only that can go so far, their next schedule update is too far away.

I think Anthem is where things will look the brightest if Bioware just keeps doing the great job they have been doing and listens to fans.

The problem is if they keep doing what they are doing, I don't expect much.
If anyone thinks there's a shit show now, wait for the content update.

eloxx

Oct 30, 2017
bern, switzerland
Anthem could get good in maybe 1-2 years

Division 2 Open Beta which is just a tiny fraction of the whole game has more and better Content than Anthem currently has to offer.
That alone is sad

Except that the Division 2 is more of the same and the core gameplay of Anthem is something fresh.

I am with you OP. The game is fun and addicting. It has a great matchmaking feature which Destiny is lacking. That alone makes it worthwhile for me.

Mar 29, 2018
All for positivity posts and appreciation threads, but declaring this title to have the"best gameplay this gen" is a pretty laughable statement begging for a berating

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hope by July or August the game's big technical flaws are worked out and there's a decent GaaSy grind to engage in. I like the fundamentals of Anthem based on my time with the demo but it's just a bit too unrefined in its current state for me to fork over money and time.

OP does make me feel a decent amount of confidence that the game will eventually hit a good stride, but right now it's not hard for me to stay away.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except that the Division 2 is more of the same and the core gameplay of Anthem is something fresh.

I am with you OP. The game is fun and addicting. It has a great matchmaking feature which Destiny is lacking. That alone makes it worthwhile for me.

honestly the only thing anthems gameplay has over the division is flying and hovering.

Division does its gunplay well, whilst Anthems...is bland?

honestly anthems biggest thing is it's flying. Other than that, the shooting and using skills is comparable to Division. IMO division 2s gameplay is more solid and refined compared to what I played of anthem.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
It's ok to like not very good games OP don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Big agreement with this. For me personally it's the sign of maturity and good critical taste to actually admit that you like something that you also recognize isn't very good. If everything you enjoy also has to be the best thing ever, either you've greatly limited your horizons which is kind of depressing, or you're just too easy to please.

It's perfectly okay - and healthy - to like things that are bad, folks. Don't be ashamed.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
I know there is an OT for it but I just wanted to create a place where people could, for once, appreciate that work that has been put into a beast such as Anthem.
I understand you want a appreciation thread. But having a thread with that title will just attract the opposite. Unless you're just grasping a few positive comments.

But to me Bioware has delivered an incredible experience, the best in the GAAS genre under a ton of aspects
oh boy.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It has a great matchmaking feature which Destiny is lacking.
Destiny lacks matchmaking for raids and Nightfalls, which are two activities you don't really want to enter into blindly with random people (though I would like them to add it for Nightfalls at least). The majority of your quests are easily completed solo, which is ideal when you're trying to tell a story.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
For a game that has two menus, and the one that you actually press OPTIONS doesn't show its OPTIONS (because they fucking placed on the Select - Touchpad) it is just one way to say this game is definitely lost in every direction possible.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017

Have you tried matchmaking of GM2 or GM3? On Strongholds you get dropped in the middle of fights because people just rage quit after struggling for minutes. So not worth the frustration.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Just got it yesterday myself and really enjoying it so I am looking forward to the future. Iam also a hardcore destiny player that played with friends and clan all the time but for Abthem I've been playing solo because of the matchmaking but once clans get in I'll prob me more social. Also I'm kinda behind so I want to wait till I am leveled before making new friends

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that the second sentence of this appreciation thread is a huge qualifier pretty much says it all.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
its fine to enjoy a game, nothing wrong with that, but to deny its shortcomings and myriad of problems is just ignorant
Have to agree strongly with this.

There is NOTHING wrong with loving and enjoying a game that has clear and obvious flaws. As an adult, it's important to be able to enjoy things while making room for concerns, criticisms, and critiques (both yours and others). That's how improvement comes. That's how life works.

One of my favorite games last generation was Chromehounds.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/chromehounds

I played that dumb game for hundreds of hours. It was a hot-ass mess, but the parts that I enjoyed outweighed the very obvious flaws for me personally so I was happy enough to play. But flawed it very much was. Would I have ever written a post proclaiming it as the best at anything? Hell no, because it wasn't. But I also had no problem telling people how much I liked the game.

As bad movies go, I really liked Lady In The Water and Sucker Punch. I understand why they aren't widely liked and I think those critiques are fair, but I can also tell you why I liked them. All of those opposing truths can exist in the same reality and others experiences don't have to define your own. After all, others will see and weigh things differently than you might. Liking what others don't like (for very fair reasons) is fine and something you'll need to get used to in life, because it will happen often.

Learn the lesson.

IMO, Anthem is a decent game with a discouraging amount of issues. A game that would have been well served as a fall 2019 release. I think its combat is okay but I don't love it and would not rate it highly against Destiny 2 or Diablo 3 as far as looters go. It feels aiming floaty and somewhat unresponsive depending on the weapon being used. I think it's the best looking of any looter game, but that's what is expected of Frostbite. As for music and score, Destiny 2 has a better OST, IMO, and it doesn't bug out. I look forward to spending more time with it when the critical PC bugs have been significantly reduced or resolved. Not a moment sooner.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I am gonna have to disagree with you vehemently there OP. There is no way imaginable that this game is remotely good or competent enough to begin with. And it's not something that can be fixed with patches. There are just critical core fundamental flaws that makes this game irredeemable at this juncture. It's not hate for anything from EA or Bioware especially when you have the majority of reviewers and message boards clamoring against it. You would have to wipe the slate clean and start over...this is simply not the same Bioware as old...its has been gutted and any love for a grand story to be told in a compelling fashion has been obliterated by EAs demands for GaaS like games and well policies as a result.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The lack of any interesting or unique loot even in the endgame burned me out quick.

I might come back and try it out later if they add more interesting content.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Bioware Edmonton's last game was Dragon Age: Inquisition which, despite its flaws, has an 89 on Metacritic and some felt was GOTY. Bioware Montreal worked on Mass Effect Andromeda.

Even taking Anthem into consideration, Bioware Edmonton has an exceptional track record. Fans in this medium can turn on creators so fast - it is really shitty. No one needs to support a bad game - great directors/bands/authors all have their misses, which can be justifiably labelled as such - but why people feel the need to throw the developer under the bus with it, I'm never clear.

lowkey im exceptionally indiff to what dev makes a game beyond some level of trust- I don't prebuy or go "best dev ever" or such.

Good devs can make shit games and vice versa.
CD Red is the savior of games for many after what in current times is one mediocre as hell game, one good game, and one GOTY. Could still continue this trend or go south in an instant with so few releases, hard to tell.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of any interesting or unique loot even in the endgame burned me out quick.

I might come back and try it out later if they add more interesting content.

This is where I'm at as well. Even after switching to Ranger changed it up for me a for a but in the end, I'm doing the same thing. I'll probably wait for some more content/updates which we should be seeing through the month.