• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see the feature make it to just one popular multiplayer FPS on PS4. A lot of people who were originally repulsed by the idea of using those controls themselves would eventually choose to adapt and take advantage of them for what they bring to the table, after seeing other players use them well.
You think we havent played other consoles/pc games or watched folks play with gyro? In a thread asking for options its crazy that people dont understand people prefer other options.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If anything this thread is yet another cry for attention from the gyro acolytes
If anything, the PS4/PS5 needs its Splatoon moment where people open their eyes to the potential of gyro. It's actually thanks to Splatoon 1 & 2 that gyro is one of the top requested features by the majority for any shooter that gets ported to Switch. Now pretty much the entire competitive Splatoon scene uses gyro. Hell, at least from the replays I've seen, most of the Overwatch Switch Top 500 uses gyro.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Every gyro controls thread

17944ba2c5d0ae2c4465efd6f7043eab.jpg
Lol that's perfect. I wouldn't mind gyro as an option (I used it quite a lot in Breath of the Wild) but the hyperbole is crazy.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
It's one game that I wish they have added gyro aiming for the slo mo zoom aim. It actually felt harder to aim in slo mo than regular aim for sone odd reason.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I was playing Horizon recently and the aiming was fine. I don't see the issue.

I think most people that played the game liked it and found no issue. Era just latches onto things and swings in extremes. I mean, people are here saying no gyro was a "catastrophic" decision lol.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Playing Horizon for the first time on PS4 for the past weeks(gor the Last of Us/Horizon/God of War bundle), and as someone who is used to play with keyboard and mouse, I don't really like aiming with a controller. Trying to hit some small weakpoint on a moving target isn't always easy, even with slow motion. These Glinthawks are especially a pain, I often wait until they stop moving to try hitting them with an arrow. It's not TERRIBLE, but I would probably have wait & played this game on PC first if I had known.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This entire thread gave me a huge deja-vu. From the OP to the replies. I'm not thread-whining btw, it literally gave me deja-vu.

I've never used gyro aiming, I'll give it a try soon.

It's great. I think every controller with gyro is compatible with Steam Input other than joycon, so you can apply it to any game with mouse support for aim etc.

Just need to remember that for games with simultaneous mouse gamepad support, you can set it as you wish. For the games that don't, you can either map full m&kb to the gamepad or should crank the in game aim sensitivity to max, and use the mouselike joystick mode for gyro. You can then customise to taste for both gyro and stick (or pads on steam controller)

www.resetera.com

Steam Input Thread | Comfy Couch Would Be Perfect On PC

SteamWorks Documentation on Steam Input is available here This thread aims to be a resource for understanding Steam Input - the umbrella term referring to the entire collection of software, hardware, and configuration utilities that Steam uses to interface with games. Valve's Steam Controller...

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't mouse better than gyro though?

It is, but if you're in the lounge and prefer to play a game without m&kb, or just don't feel as comfortable with a game and need a controller, gyro is super helpful but very limited compared to mouse. The closest combo in a controller form factor to get mouselike velocity based aim nearing mouse capability is Steam Controller trackball + gyro, which is where the Steam Input implementation came from. With other gamepads using sticks, gyro is the only way to have velocity based aim. Not as flexible or with enough fidelity/range as a mouse, but a huge advantage using traditional gamepads

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It is, but if you're in the lounge and prefer to play a game without m&kb, or just don't feel as comfortable with a game and need a controller, gyro is super helpful but very limited compared to mouse. The closest combo in a controller form factor to get mouselike velocity based aim nearing mouse capability is Steam Controller trackball + gyro, which is where the Steam Input implementation came from. With other gamepads using sticks, gyro is the only way to have velocity based aim. Not as flexible or with enough fidelity/range as a mouse, but a huge advantage using traditional gamepads
And sometimes your arms can get tired from using mouse & keyboard for a good long while. Using a controller with gyro is actually more ergonomic (the bones in your forearms don't cross while using a controller).

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
And sometimes your arms can get tired from using mouse & keyboard for a good long while. Using a controller with gyro is actually more ergonomic (the bones in your forearms don't cross while using a controller).

This is genuinely nonsense. I've done LAN gaming marathons across for ridiculous hours without fatigue, yet can more easily get fatigued from sticks. And that isn't just me. RSI is possible no matter what you do.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Been doing this for years. Glad more people are learning how great it is. There's no reason not to have it. I'm disappointed Microsoft didn't add it to their controller for next gen.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Was gyro aiming confirmed for the PC release? I wonder if they would patch it in/any other optimizations into the PS4 release.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gyro is a feature within the system keyboard, so why it isn't implemented more is weird. Especially among Sony's own games.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually tried gyro after you guys kept bombarding us with threads about it. Turns out it's pretty damn good, I don't like it horizontally, but vertically it's such a natural movement that I find myself using it everytime I aim in BOTW.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Was gyro aiming confirmed for the PC release? I wonder if they would patch it in/any other optimizations into the PS4 release.
steam controller config has the ability to enable gyro on any controller that supports it through customized mapping. The game doesn't need to support it natively for it to work.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Never liked gyro aiming, mostly because I primarily play on PC and when I played games on my switch I usually turn it off, to me it feels like a bad in between, but that's just my opinion. More control options are always welcome, just don't go around saying shit like "it's catastrophic that x game didn't have it", or that one poster who said he stopped playing because 60fps+gyro wasn't present (do you even research what control options a game has before buying?), that's just silly.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know right?

That was a catastrophic design choice from Guerrilla Games, and Sony don't enforcing it doesn't make it any better

Everyone bemoaned Sixaxis functionality in every Sony game until Nintendo started doing it in their first party offerings.

FWIW I think gyro aiming has always been superfluous cumbersome bullshit.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped to finally play horizon at 60fps. It's in my top 10 favorite games so I'm super hyped to replay it on pc. Imagine how good it's going to look with ULTRA settings. And death stranding is hitting steam in July too?! Can't wait!

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sony really gotta add this in more of their first party games, cause they are lacking big time.

edit: Wait Days Gone has it? Sony Bend I see you....