• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
In my city a lot of the ghost kitchen's seem to actively advertise that they are ghost kitchens. Like on skip right now I just checked and there are a couple dozen restaurants that specifically say "By Ghostkitchens" in their name.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf? TIL there's such a thing as ghost kitchens. How do you know if a restaurant is a ghost kitchen on the delivery apps?

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Wtf? TIL there's such a thing as ghost kitchens. How do you know if a restaurant is a ghost kitchen on the delivery apps?
You pretty much have to google it, look at the address and see if it's an empty parking lot or building with no storefront. Or a chili's/IHOP or whatever

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you guys are kinda pinning all the blame on the spooky ghost kitchen when the issue is the delivery apps, creating a product that makes literally everyone involved lose money, that push people into doing stuff like this. because between uber's fucked up fees and covid the restaurant industry is completely fucked. Yes the one's that are like big businesses masquerading as mom and pop restaurants is fucked.

if you don't like it, cook your own food

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I don't have a problem with ghost kitchens as a concept. I think it's cool that I can buy chicken sandwiches in the PNW designed by a chef in the Bay area. I think there should be hygiene standards, of course, but it's functionally no different from ordering from a food cart, and pre-covid, I did that all the time.

But I do have a problem with the big national brands masquerading as something they're not. I think the food and the label should be tied together. I don't think it's the same thing. I bought from one of the Red Robin "ghost kitchens" and felt scammed (in fact I made a thread about it).

Anyway I noticed tonight that Doordash has started to label "virtual kitchens" as soon as you enter the menu and I'm good with that.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Yea I've been wanting to try Howlin Rays forever but I'm in North Hollywood and none of the apps will deliver it. I'll definitely try it when I get my second shot. I've never heard of Main Chick, I'll check that out.

It's not close but when I go to Santa Monica I usually stop in Culver City for Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken. I'm relatively new to LA though, moved here in 2018 and I haven't explored enough. I'm a theme park nerd so most days off I went straight to Disney or another park lol.
Since you are a fried chicken fan make sure you check out Gus too. It is very good.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Applebee's or Chilli's have a well regarded wing chain that's a ghost kitchen?

Not saying they can't be sketchy btw. It's just weird to think about lol.

That's Chili's and it's called "It's Just Wings" through DoorDash. Don't know how the money is divided up, but I would hope it is a second revenue stream for that location to help keep it afloat. The Chili's in my town has been having to close their main dining room on the reg and only been able keep the bar and bar seating area open as they are so short-staffed the whole place can't be open.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
this is why I wont order from new places unless they have a +4.5/5 star rating over many reviews.

and even then, ill sometimes google that shit to be sure

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
The place I've been ordering from is a publicly advertised ghost kitchen and all the food I've ordered has been great, no problems here.

I think the problem is less ghost kitchens and more places trying to hide where/what they are. If they're doing that, odds are they're sketch enough that people don't want to know the actual brand or restaurant behind the food.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost kitchens are shit and super sketchy. One of them just opened here and it's literally a food truck parked in an office building parking lot. No sanitary or safety precautions being adhered to at these places.

The one opened here is by David Chang and called Fuku https://eatfuku.com/

More like Fuck You
What the fuck there's a Fuku here in Miami and that shit had me almost throwing up and I felt like shit.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I find this ghost kitchen trend really scummy and deceitful. You think you're supporting some new local pizza joint "Pasqually's Pizza & Wings" when in reality it's just a fucking Chuck E Cheese in disguise.

All the major chains are doing this now. TGI Fridays is "Conviction Chicken", Applebee's is both "Neighborhood Wings" and "Cosmic Wings", Chili's is "It's Just Wings", Outback is "Tender Shack Chicken", Red Robin is "Chicken Sammy's" and "The Wing Dept" etc...

But at least with these major chains there's some level of quality control. That's not the case with other ghost kitchens that could be operating out of some dirty ass unhygienic place. A lot of them are delivery only so you can't even see the address in DoorDash etc. And if people start leaving bad reviews they can simply rebrand and continue duping people over and over again, there's no real consequences.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ghost kitchens are shit and super sketchy. One of them just opened here and it's literally a food truck parked in an office building parking lot. No sanitary or safety precautions being adhered to at these places.

More like Fuck You

Ghost kitchens are subject to the same health and food safety regulations and inspections which restaurants are

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
not surprised. Someone I know ordered from one the other week, and they were probably lucky that the food never showed up.

Once it gets really late at night, well known fast food is the only place I'd get food from

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck there's a Fuku here in Miami and that shit had me almost throwing up and I felt like shit.
Not surprised. It's legit a shitty old food truck in a parking lot of an office building here. Here's an article about the one in Dallas

www.dallasobserver.com

Chef David Chang's Fuku Is a Hot Mess on Its Opening Day in Dallas

Last week The Dallas Morning News reported that James Beard Award-winning chef David Chang was opening three ghost kitchens in North Texas. Called Fuku, they will serve uber-trendy hot chicken “sandos” and strips. Chang is the chef and founder of the Momofuku group of restaurants, which includes...

I feel bad for anyone that actually orders it.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

More like Fuck You

Just because a place is a food truck doesn't mean that they're sketchy or don't have to follow code. This is a new business model that doesn't take as much overhead, and it's not just large corporations trying to pull one over you.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Just because a place is a food truck doesn't mean that they're sketchy or don't have to follow code. This is a new business model that doesn't take as much overhead, and it's not just large corporations trying to pull one over you.

So a ghost kitchen can't rebrand easily? At least a physical location you can map it as bad.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Not surprised. It's legit a shitty old food truck in a parking lot of an office building here. Here's an article about the one in Dallas

www.dallasobserver.com

Chef David Chang's Fuku Is a Hot Mess on Its Opening Day in Dallas

Last week The Dallas Morning News reported that James Beard Award-winning chef David Chang was opening three ghost kitchens in North Texas. Called Fuku, they will serve uber-trendy hot chicken “sandos” and strips. Chang is the chef and founder of the Momofuku group of restaurants, which includes...

I feel bad for anyone that actually orders it.

You've said this twice now, a food truck parked in an office building parking lot, and so what. Why does that mean it is bad or sketchy. If people working in that office building were lined up at that food truck at lunch you wouldn't think twice.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Ghost kitchens summed up

224.gif

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I ordered from It's Just Wings and realized from the DoorDash map that it was just Chili's being sneaky, my wife and I now call them Deception Wings.
I never knew this and ordered from there a few times.

...huh. It wasn't bad at least. When it's not soggy, that is.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I've been wanting to try Howlin Rays forever but I'm in North Hollywood and none of the apps will deliver it. I'll definitely try it when I get my second shot. I've never heard of Main Chick, I'll check that out.

It's not close but when I go to Santa Monica I usually stop in Culver City for Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken. I'm relatively new to LA though, moved here in 2018 and I haven't explored enough. I'm a theme park nerd so most days off I went straight to Disney or another park lol.
Had main chick for dinner tonight, it's fine. Honey's is much better but they have different goals.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think there are any ghost kitchens in my city but I got real sick from a Döner delivery from a properly labelled place. Campylobacter, either undercooked chicken or unwashed hands. The doctor told me that's commonly caused by Döner.

My favorite delivery service recently disappeared from the listings and I couldn't find any trace of it at the location where the delivery listing claimed it was but looking it up now it just seems to have moved and upgraded.

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
It's honestly been years since I had any type of food poisoning, so I was just surprised. I don't think all ghost kitchens are bad, I just want to make people aware. I'm going back to my 8-10 trusted places and I'll read up on Any new ones.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Lol Dennys started doing this when I worked there. We had two different brands going out via to go deliveries. Both brands made themselves sound so much more upscale than Denny's it was hilarious. I used to love secretly slipping Denny's brand togo cutlery or sugar packets etc into the togo bags as a heads up to those buying.
Lol
There's nothing more rewarding than secretly fucking up with your corporate shitty fast food gig. I applaud your ethics.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lmao, so got ghost chicken from a ghost kitchen. We need to go deeper.

Yea I don't doubt there are good ones, but in a setup like that with two dozen people in a small building I really worry about cleanliness.

Back to Dave's Hot Chicken for me, there are only 3 stores atm but they are awesome.
Damn I want Dave's now 😩

Oct 31, 2017
I find this ghost kitchen trend really scummy and deceitful. You think you're supporting some new local pizza joint "Pasqually's Pizza & Wings" when in reality it's just a fucking Chuck E Cheese in disguise.

All the major chains are doing this now. TGI Fridays is "Conviction Chicken", Applebee's is both "Neighborhood Wings" and "Cosmic Wings", Chili's is "It's Just Wings", Outback is "Tender Shack Chicken", Red Robin is "Chicken Sammy's" and "The Wing Dept" etc...

But at least with these major chains there's some level of quality control. That's not the case with other ghost kitchens that could be operating out of some dirty ass unhygienic place. A lot of them are delivery only so you can't even see the address in DoorDash etc. And if people start leaving bad reviews they can simply rebrand and continue duping people over and over again, there's no real consequences.
Huh??? I'm so confused I feel like I live under a rock

I've NEVER heard of anything like this

Deleted member 20892

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got fucked up by Half Send Pizza, which I didn't bother to check, until just now, but yeah they run out of a ghost kitchen operated by CloudKitchens. Legit gave me the worst diarrhea and stomach pain not even 30 mins after finishing eating. Still kinda fucked up now, 6 days later lmao
Hell yea. That sauce, I cry when they don't give me an extra with my extra hot.
That sauce is so damn good. I always try to get a side of pickles on top of everything lol

Deleted member 20892

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol @ people thinking ghost kitchens are some kind of scam.
it's just a place that only does takeout. that's it.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I had no idea this was a thing, but it makes sense. Sucks because I want to support small businesses.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All that I can add to this thread is that I saw Rock-a-Doodle at one of those 3 movies for $1.50 theaters in an abandoned mall (Peach Tree for those in NorCal). There was a radio station booth outside doing some promotion and I won a copy of Weird Al's Off the Deep End on CD for knowing the main character's name (Chanticleer). It took like 6 months to find somebody with a CD player to copy it to a tape.

And THAT is why you don't order from ghost kitchens.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I think it's a smart business model - for larger companies, and for smaller startups. The challenge is that it's a huge umbrella term that can attract a lot of unfortunate side effects and shit.

If you're starting a business, and want to get out there, test a concept and reduce risk of overhead - it's a great way to do that. Leasing space at an existing restaurant helps the restaurant owner, and makes it easier for the startup. That's a positive thing.

The "factory" elements of this is where it gets gnarly - either someone just starting up a whole bunch at once to capitalize, or an existing company being a bit deceptive and shady about it. You get the good and the bad. Above all, just take the step to google the address before you order - that will make things clearer and help you make an educated choice on whether to support them or not.

Oct 27, 2017

More like Fuck You

Fuku is a legit chain. There used to be one in Boston. I've had it a bunch of times (as well as coworkers) and never had any issues

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
I saw a similar concept like this back in 2002/03. There was a lunch diner near downtown that closed early and another guy would come in and server his food from 10pm till 4am, I think. Targeted the after bar crowd. He did well enough, but then the diner's owner saw how much traffic was generated and kicked him out for their crap.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuku is a legit chain. There used to be one in Boston. I've had it a bunch of times (as well as coworkers) and never had any issues
The problem with ghost kitchens is it will vary from location to location since they are using food trucks. The Dallas one is current rated 1.7 out of 5 stars on Google.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, lots of these popping up here. I barely trust restaurants that are subject to regular health inspections and food safety courses, and so forth, let alone some random person making mystery meat burgers on their Foreman Grill. There are tons of local restaurants that are "playing by the rules" and really need the support right now, and I'm more than happy to support those businesses, but I'm not chancing it with ghost kitchens.