• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
I'm interested in seeing how this story is going to play out long term, like whether it's going to have influence on the plot of Breath of the Wild 2, whether it's going to further splinter the timeline, or if at the end it'll be just one giant "what if" scenario. I'm still playing through the demo (just unlocked Zelda) but do we see more time traveling happen outside of what they showed in the beginning?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in seeing how this story is going to play out long term, like whether it's going to have influence on the plot of Breath of the Wild 2, whether it's going to further splinter the timeline, or if at the end it'll be just one giant "what if" scenario. I'm still playing through the demo (just unlocked Zelda) but do we see more time traveling happen outside of what they showed in the beginning?
No other time traveling in the demo. Just the Baby Guardian (and some Malice) leaping through the Time Gate at the start. Also, later the heroes look at images of the Calamity retrieved from the Sheikah Slate, so they have an idea of what's at stake. But beyond that, no other time meddling so far. Could be a case where the details play out different but the result is the same.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Really, this whole game is sort of a fall miracle. The fact we didn't know about it prior to September and it's out in several weeks (with a free demo with carry-over save data for us to currently enjoy) is just wonderful.

It's truly unreal. As a huge fan of both HW and BOTW, it's just... *chef's kiss*. It brings back the same sense of awe and wonder I had when playing Botw for the first time, in absolute disbelief that Nintendo had created something so massive and special. They've revealed a bit more pre-launch than I would have liked (and I shouldn't have spoiled), but the short time of announce to release has this still feeling excited as I haven't been able to deconstruct every little pre-release detail.

DrStrange87

The Fallen
Feb 8, 2018
Don't mess with the lore to much please! I'm assuming most of those new characters will be unlockables who won't have much to do with the story or at all(future champions). Hopefully that new villain character is playable later as DLC.

Xingularity

Aug 31, 2020
Doubt it's time travel, so they're either just side mission characters, or we may get post-game stuff that takes place between BOTW and BOTW2

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I feel the new Champions will be a Post BotW missions that we get to find the mysterious figure and tie in to BotW2.
This is my feeling as well.

After having thought about it for a day, I don't think the BotW-era characters are going to time travel back to the past. If they're in the game, it's likely in post-Calamity, even post-BotW epilogue chapters. Kinda like how Tetra's chapters were shoved in after the end of the main story in the first HW.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Maybe the post-game re-uses the map in the "present day" botw-time? Remixing stages ala the adventure maps from HW1, not worrying so much about Canon / actual story beats.

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
So basically we are playing another OoT but in 3 parts, BOTW2 will let us coming back to prevent the calimity.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Will playing this demo give spoilers from BotW? I still haven't played that yet.

Edit: Oh, meant to post this in the demo thread. But still applies to this game.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So with the future champions playable maybe there is going to be post game missions that will be set between BOTW 1 & 2.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I was really worried when this game was announced that they'd include something that would mess up the continuity, and the demo intro, and each trailer makes me just a bit more nervious.

Nintendo hasn't been so great with that, especially with ALBW.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is it really continuity if we never actually saw it? 🥴

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I could see an option to switch between world maps of each era once you unlock the "present" day characters.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo chickened out of making a third party spin-off canon.
Heh, Majora's Mask / Wind Waker / Twilight Princess are canon despite coming from divergent timelines. And people already suggested that BotW would be a new start so a new divergent timeline wouldn't feel off.
Zelda and time travel is a reccurent topic, even in the "start" of the story with Skyward Sword you go back to the past.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Even if this game doesn't change the story up, I can already see the debates on if it's canon solely because of the mini guardian being there. Gonna be so frustrating

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
All Zelda franchise Amiibo were compatible with the first HW game in the sense that you would get character-specific weapon unlocks for that character's Amiibo (and it was the only way to unlock the Spinner for Link in the Wii U version). The same thing will apply to AoC, most likely.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
All Zelda franchise Amiibo were compatible with the first HW game in the sense that you would get character-specific weapon unlocks for that character's Amiibo (and it was the only way to unlock the Spinner for Link in the Wii U version). The same thing will apply to AoC, most likely.
Given how amiibo aren't as prevalent today, I feel like they won't be as important. Especially not locking exclusive weapons behind them.

Who knows though, since they are reprinting the Champion's amiibo

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Given how amiibo aren't as prevalent today, I feel like they won't be as important. Especially not locking exclusive weapons behind them.

Who knows though, since they are reprinting the Champion's amiibo
Yeah I'm really hoping there's not another Spinner situation, or at the very least let any exclusive weapons still be earnable in-game without the Amiibo.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm really hoping there's not another Spinner situation, or at the very least let any exclusive weapons still be earnable in-game without the Amiibo.
The original HW came out right around the time as Smash 4, which was the start of the amiibo craze right? That would probably explain why

It's honestly odd that they haven't revealed their purpose yet for this game though

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Also I'm calling it now

Botw2 is the same map twice

it will have the original map serve as a dark world version to a saved and perfectly intact Hyrule

Nothing wrong with that. The Link to the Past Dark World was excellent way to have expand the game reusing different colored assets with new enemy types. Having Dark World version of the BOTW map would be interesting.

Kind of like how you could replay the original Legend of Zelda with the 2nd Quest with the world having arranged dungeons and stuff.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's already began and somehow I'm already more exhausted about arguments surrounding AOC than I was for the ones surrounding FE3H
yeah like if it's a timeloop and they still lose and it still plays out pretty much the same then I don't give a fuck, it's canon to me. I can't go through that exhaustion

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
33q0e4m5oxv51.jpg

So the 2 champions for each Divine Beast on the tapestry.. that's some timey wimey shit that brings the modern day champions backwards in time to the calamity event, right? I assume this is how all of these characters come into play. They are time traveled back by either the same Egg Guardian or perhaps yet another egg? I'm really, really curious what becomes of this game's ending. I'm thinking things don't align at all with what we kow about the events from 100 years ago. My theory is that 2 Champions per Guardian will overwhelm the 4 Blights, and Link and Zelda will prevail against the Calamity. I wonder if Ganondorf's revival in the sequel game could be directly related to time travel manipulation that occurs in this game.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I still don't think we should read too much into the tapestry having 2 champions per beast now. That could simply be referring to the AoC champions along with the 10,000-years-ago Champions. That second figure doesn't have to be the BotW-era character.

Xingularity

Aug 31, 2020
Switch_HWAoC_Microsite_Gameplay_SCRN_04_Location_MeditativeTraining_1080-cd1d8886f4897b9ce3bfa84b1586660e.webp

Just realized how the files of the icons supposedly ripped from the demo does not include this symbol. Idk if the one who ripped them forgot a few symbols or there have been some icons (not all of them, for some reason lmao GG Koei) that have been scrubbed off the demo?

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Datamined features:
Armour customization (dyeing)
Blood moon challenges or modifier
Unused minimap icons include treasure chests, implying sheikah sensor unlock
Upgrades to runes

Datamined number of characters:
23 character slots

Datamined number of maps:
27 missions/maps (apparently all unique?)

Datamined number of cutscenes:
82 cutscenes

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Those character slots yesss directly into my veins

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
7 more characters beyond the 16 that are guaranteed? Even five more (if Egg Guardian and Ganon are playable) would be neat, though I imagine they're probably DLC.

Other stuff is cool too, but i'm mainly focused on that.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Datamined features:
Armour customization (dyeing)
Blood moon challenges or modifier
Unused minimap icons include treasure chests, implying sheikah sensor unlock
Upgrades to runes

Datamined number of characters:
23 character slots

Datamined number of maps:
27 missions/maps (apparently all unique?)

Datamined number of cutscenes:
82 cutscenes

OMG. Sounds amazing. Seems like the game will be content-rich! T4P!