• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Just listened to GameXplain's spoiler discussion, and really like the interpretation that
Terrako's time traveling ability came as a result of Zelda wishing upon the Triforce to save everyone the moment she unlocked her powers in Hateno field. Because most everyone was already dead at that point, that wish was fulfilled in the form of Terrako gaining the ability to save everyone in an alternate timeline.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
The story is so good and epic and what the fuck, I really didn't expect to love the direction they took so much. Also italian VA is fantastic.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
But Link has the MS (the point that now Link can't be renamed i think is due to the fact that Nintendo consider Link an actual character, no more the player's avatar -but this from 2-3 titles, almost).
The theory that the mummy is the past hero is interesting, however.
That's true, I forgot BOTW wasn't the only time Link was named.

And my point about the Master Sword is that in BOTW, Link had it since he was a child and there is no real plotline about how he's the chosen hero. He's just their best knight and has strong enough willpower to wield it. He had it when he joined the ranks.

Age of Calamity kinda retcons Link's whole relationship to the sword in BOTW. He finds it after he's appointed as Zelda's knight and it reacts to him with more traditional Zelda fanfare that doesn't really exist in BOTW.

If anything, in BOTW the sword reacts to Ganon more than it reacts to Link wielding it, as it only becomes fully powered around the Malice. And if the mummy is the old hero, or at least not Ganondorf as we typically know him, then he once wielded the Master Sword too and he isn't in Link's bloodline (that we know of.)

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Am I only one who has a littl bit of an OCD when it comes to character select screen?

Mipha should be moved one spot down, and hestu swapped with the King afterwards. So Hyrule peeps are the first row, 4 champions are 2nd, future champions are 3rd and rest are afterwards...

It bothers me that mipha is misalligned like that, simply cuz they chose to list them chronologically.

Weapon/Item/Korok Guide (incl. spoilers)

Tofd

Jul 8, 2018
TheMoon

This is the most extensive compiled resource for the game i've found, including a ton of information on weapons and fusions and korok location(includes SPOILER). It would be helpful if this was thread-marked / added to the OT.

docs.google.com

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - Weapons & Resources (Comments Enabled)

Attack Weapon Attack,Tier 1 Worst,Tier 1 Lite,Tier 1,Tier 2 Lite,Tier 2,Tier 3 Lite,Tier 3,DLC Growth 1,DLC Growth 2 View Mode (Faster Image Load): <a href="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1Ci8hBndMf9jIRC_sYzZaKWhWt9UVw9Ee8PyhlbQ-eHA/htmlview#">https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0...

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
TheMoon

This is the most extensive compiled resource for the game i've found, including a ton of information on weapons and fusions and korok location(includes SPOILER). It would be helpful if this was thread-marked / added to the OT.

docs.google.com

Attack Weapon Attack,Tier 1 Worst,Tier 1 Lite,Tier 1,Tier 2 Lite,Tier 2,Tier 3 Lite,Tier 3,DLC Growth 1,DLC Growth 2 View Mode (Faster Image Load): <a href="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1Ci8hBndMf9jIRC_sYzZaKWhWt9UVw9Ee8PyhlbQ-eHA/htmlview#">https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0...
thx, threadmarked

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I can agree that the current implementation seems off. It's like the only part of the game that has active resource management. The only other place is like... fusing weapons, which is totally different because it occurs outside of the levels.

Edit: And the materials, lol. But that's still outside of missions so the carryover between missions doesn't feel weird like it does with apples.
That isn't really inconsistent, though. Apples and rods are consumables that are brought into battles. Cooking/crafting materials aren't actively used in battle, but you can still run out of them if you spend all of your resources on, for example, cooking the same dishes over and over without restocking ingredients.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love
Zelda's winter outfit
that is unlocked when you finish the last main mission.
The greatest of rewards, the mad lads actually let us use it!

I just spent an extra hour more than planned doing post game quests because I kept using the excuse "I'll stop when the merchant brings me some gosh darn sizzle fish...he's not here, well time for another round!"

I've got other games to play but here I am, called back to Hyrule.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
That isn't really inconsistent, though. Apples and rods are consumables that are brought into battles. Cooking/crafting materials aren't actively used in battle, but you can still run out of them if you spend all of your resources on, for example, cooking the same dishes over and over without restocking ingredients.
No, I know. I just think it feels weird because there's this one category of items that you're supposed to restock but there's no way to do that except to replay random missions, and you can't even check whether you're full up or not without starting a mission. The execution is just awkward.

Edit: Essentially the below

Last edited:

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
if you can just replay some level 5 mission to refill a resource then that resource shouldn't require a random level 5 mission to refill

I agree, between missions management doesn't matter, when you can circumvent it with 0 effort anyway. It's just an annoyance. They should've made them fill up at start of the missions, but made stuff like wizzrobes rarer, or maximum charge smaller. Only in-combat management actually matters in the end anyway.

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
I agree, between missions management doesn't matter, when you can circumvent it with 0 effort anyway. It's just an annoyance. They should've made them fill up at start of the missions, but made stuff like wizzrobes rarer, or maximum charge smaller. Only in-combat management actually matters in the end anyway.
At least wIzzrobes are easy enemies to beat and fill up your rods significantly.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I did nothing today but play this game, and I do not regret it.

I'm at 42 hours. Map says I'm 74% done with the game. My main "squad" (the four players I use most consistently) who are:

Link, Zelda (Sacred Bow), Impa, and King Rhoam

...are all in the lvl. 81-89 range. I finally beat the main story about 2 hours ago--figured I might as well. There's still a whole lot to do and I'm going to keep grinding away at it after work each day (stay home and stay safe!). I'm committed to 100% this game--I've loved it so much more than I expected, and the process of doing the challenge missions and side-quests is SO MUCH more natural than the menu-hopping of the first Hyrule Warriors game.

P.S. There is only one character in the game I truly despise playing as:

Fucking Teba. He flies around like crazy and the camera is constantly freaking out. And when I go in to attack an enemy or break their shield counter thing, he flies so far back after one attack that the rest of my attacks miss. FUCK Teba. Strangely, Revali is one of my favorites to play as.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I did nothing today but play this game, and I do not regret it.

I'm at 42 hours. Map says I'm 74% done with the game. My main "squad" (the four players I use most consistently) who are:

Link, Zelda (Sacred Bow), Impa, and King Rhoam

...are all in the lvl. 81-89 range. I finally beat the main story about 2 hours ago--figured I might as well. There's still a whole lot to do and I'm going to keep grinding away at it after work each day (stay home and stay safe!). I'm committed to 100% this game--I've loved it so much more than I expected, and the process of doing the challenge missions and side-quests is SO MUCH more natural than the menu-hopping of the first Hyrule Warriors game.

P.S. There is only one character in the game I truly despise playing as:

Fucking Teba. He flies around like crazy and the camera is constantly freaking out. And when I go in to attack an enemy or break their shield counter thing, he flies so far back after one attack that the rest of my attacks miss. FUCK Teba. Strangely, Revali is one of my favorites to play as.

He's definitely hard to control. The 2nd or 3rd Y loop him around weirdly and I really don't like the "constant circling" on his c4 (I think) when you keep mashing X. I've found success with mashing X on C2 or C3 when a weakpoint comes up to he just fires a constant stream arrows at the gauge. Still hard to set up though.

On a different note, I really like Revali's playstyle, He shines in 2 players too as fire support. Cancelling his stasis rain of arrows into even more attacks is so so strong.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the main story today, dove into post-game stuff a bit but haven't done too much. Really surprised by how much I enjoyed it; the character movesets all have a lot of depth and diversity, and the core gameplay was engaging enough that it kept me coming back for more.

Plot spoilers below:
I would still have liked to have seen the plot follow a path mostly canon to Breath of the Wild, but in hindsight, there was basically no way they were going to do a Hyrule Warriors game based on Breath of the Wild without the future champions. In any case, this alternate timeline was still a lot of fun to follow. I was surprised by how well-implemented Terrako was; when I first saw it on the key art I rolled my eyes a bit, thinking it was going to be shoehorned in, but its very personal connection to Zelda and her father's relationship really made its last moments poignant.

Astor, on the other hand, turned out to be a real nothing of a villain, after the excitement of his pre-release reveal. He doesn't have much in the way of an interesting personality, and since all of his major actions relate more to the AoC timeline than the BotW timeline, we don't really learn anything new about Calamity Ganon's rise in BotW. We also don't really learn anything new about him after his introduction; he's a seer that is loyal to Ganon for some reason and...that's about it.

Zelda, of course, was the star of the show this time around, and I've gotta say, while I wasn't a big fan of her voice acting in Breath of the Wild, the actress did a much better job of showcasing her emotional range this time around. Her speeches after the battles of Fort Hateno and before the final assault on Hyrule Castle were genuinely rousing, and her interactions with her father were convincing. I'm hopeful that we'll get to see a lot more of her in BotW2!

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Found the first challenge that I'm not going to beat until I'm way over level. Beat two Talus in two and a half minutes with a map required slow as crap character. I spammed all my rods and still had half the health on the second Talus left when time ran out.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Am I only one who has a littl bit of an OCD when it comes to character select screen?

Mipha should be moved one spot down, and hestu swapped with the King afterwards. So Hyrule peeps are the first row, 4 champions are 2nd, future champions are 3rd and rest are afterwards...

It bothers me that mipha is misalligned like that, simply cuz they chose to list them chronologically.
no, i also wish the two very obvious groups were listed in the very obvious way they should be lol

I'd argue the opposite. If they're not going to give us a full set, then they should just be wiped out. Having them carry over just sets off the balance of the game.

Full apples would make everything way too easy though lol.
i think it's fine the way it is. now it's basically a difficulty setting. if you want to make things easier, you can bother to resupply every mission. if you're fine just using what the level gives you, then you can just play the game normally

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
He's definitely hard to control. The 2nd or 3rd Y loop him around weirdly and I really don't like the "constant circling" on his c4 (I think) when you keep mashing X. I've found success with mashing X on C2 or C3 when a weakpoint comes up to he just fires a constant stream arrows at the gauge. Still hard to set up though.

On a different note, I really like Revali's playstyle, He shines in 2 players too as fire support. Cancelling his stasis rain of arrows into even more attacks is so so strong.
The circling for his C4 is very incredibly for crowd control. I use that all the time for that.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
TheMoon

docs.google.com

Thanks that will be pretty usefull

I can't believe i will have to make a max level weapon for one of my less played characters because of this xD

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I am enjoying Sidon and Yunobo a lot more than I expected. Especially since that second one was a weaker character in the original game. They have pretty fun movesets.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
i think it's fine the way it is. now it's basically a difficulty setting. if you want to make things easier, you can bother to resupply every mission. if you're fine just using what the level gives you, then you can just play the game normally

Okay, but more often it is the case that I have materials that carry over when I might not want them to, making a quest much easier than designed. So, the only solution to that would be me burning all of my consumables at the start or end of each level, which is not playing the game normally. The game already has a difficulty setting anyhow, maybe it would make sense to alter this behavior based on the mode and only carry over for normal.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but more often it is the case that I have materials that carry over when I might not want them to, making a quest much easier than designed. So, the only solution to that would be me burning all of my consumables at the start or end of each level, which is not playing the game normally. The game already has a difficulty setting anyhow, maybe it would make sense to alter this behavior based on the mode and only carry over for normal.
having the items doesn't change anything tho? just don't use them, the difficulty stays the same if you don't use them, and is easier if you do

even with the standard difficulty settings, the game is harder without using items, and easier when using them. i'm not seeing the problem in having more options

ultimately this seems like a deliberate design decision, so i doubt it's going to change

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
having the items doesn't change anything tho? just don't use them, the difficulty stays the same if you don't use them, and is easier if you do

even with the standard difficulty settings, the game is harder without using items, and easier when using them. i'm not seeing the problem in having more options

ultimately this seems like a deliberate design decision, so i doubt it's going to change

well yes it does definitely change things, unless you expect me to mentally manage what I've obtained in a given level and always use that amount lol. I'm not recommending totally not using the items.

And yes of course, I never said I expect them to change that nor do I have a major issue with how it's implemented. The person I was responding to did, but I was just offering a suggestion for how they could have removed the ability to game the system in harder difficulties.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played around 15h since I got the game on Friday and all I can think of is how much I want a Ninja Gaiden like game featuring this Impa. Needless to say, she's been my main from the start.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I know that FE Muso was kind of an exception, but you could totally rely on AI in this one. Of course it's not harder/better/faster/stronger than a decent player, but it was able to do quite a bit of stuff on their own IIRC.

Even in the first Zelda Muso I seem to remember the AI wasn't 100% disabled, even if it only had limited usefulness obviously.

Here, if you send an AI, they can basically tank any general indefinitely as none take/deal damage.

Except if it's a mission script of defensive/horde scenario stuff.

I dunno that just feels weird is all.

That's a very conscious decision, its not getting patched out. It's so flurry attacks and special attacks stay more important than just spamming rods.
Except you can just farm a random mission to have full items anyway 🤷‍♀️

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Completed the main story last night.

There are some nice moments at specific points, but the ending felt so meh...

The fact that the last missions are a bit of a chore (and a technical mess) probably didn't help 🤷‍♀️

Not sure what I expected, but I got a whole load of nothingness.

Now onto doing the post-game.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Just hit the credits and damn I am really surprised as to how much I liked the story.

Really excited to start working on making certain characters unstoppable killing machines

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why it amuses me so much that Impa is just this absolutely insane teleporting ninja. I hope that whole moveset ends up in BOTW2 somehow (maybe with Purah?)

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god Mipha is almost comically small next to Sidon. Check the Generational Differences mission lmao. Though that's probably because Sidon is almost twice as tall as a standard Zora and Mipha is about 2/3 as high

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It bears repeating that Impa really needs/needed at least a second moveset. Especially since they already have a wealth of Sheikah weaponry from BotW they could use and it would work well with her ancient tech ninja theme. I loved using Impa with the naginata in the first one, this incarnation could use a kusarigama and use it in conjunction with whatever Sheikah tech they can come up with. Sadly I don't think they're very likely to add that in an update/DLC.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It bears repeating that Impa really needs/needed at least a second moveset. Especially since they already have a wealth of Sheikah weaponry from BotW they could use and it would work well with her ancient tech ninja theme. I loved using Impa with the naginata in the first one, this incarnation could use a kusarigama and use it in conjunction with whatever Sheikah tech they can come up with. Sadly I don't think they're very likely to add that in an update/DLC.
I think being one of the most prominent characters besides Link and Zelda in the cutscenes (as well as having a design and moveset unique to this game) means she is probably the most likely besides Link and Zelda to get new movesets

(Not that anyone would use a potential second weapon when her first is so good)

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Impa's YYYYY>X combo makes her ride a giant frog.

When she has her shadow clones activated, each one gets their own giant frog

her moveset is perfect

There are other avenues for having Sheikah technology present in movesets.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
So in regards to localization, is it just me or ocassionally it seems like lines were translated out of context of what actually happened in cutscenes? Like i know japanese tends to be a little dry, so they punch it up when localizing, that's pretty common.

But then there's Revali shooting bomb arrows at Windblight ganon, it BLOCKING them, and Teba going "What? That thing is still standing?". Still standing after what? After you DIDN'T hit it? Was Windblight Ganon supposed to die of fright or like, run away cuz of loud boom noise? When localizing the original line that is simply something along the lines of "that didn't work", did you even look at the scene?

This one stood out to me specifically but I recall feeling similarly when playing the game on a few ocassions, since i used japanese va

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
So in regards to localization, is it just me or ocassionally it seems like lines were translated out of context of what actually happened in cutscenes? Like i know japanese tends to be a little dry, so they punch it up when localizing, that's pretty common.

But then there's Revali shooting bomb arrows at Windblight ganon, it BLOCKING them, and Teba going "What? That thing is still standing?". Still standing after what? After you DIDN'T hit it? Was Windblight Ganon supposed to die of fright or like, run away cuz of loud boom noise? When localizing the original line that is simply something along the lines of "that didn't work", did you even look at the scene?

This one stood out to me specifically but I recall feeling similarly when playing the game on a few ocassions, since i used japanese va
Dunno sounds like common (minor) translation mistakes, and as you put it: "Japanese tends to be a little dry, so they punch it up when localizing".

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone have trouble with the final boss? I was 20 levels over the recommended level and it was still a huge damage sponge. Curious if anyone played it in the 50s and how that went.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Anyone have trouble with the final boss? I was 20 levels over the recommended level and it was still a huge damage sponge. Curious if anyone played it in the 50s and how that went.

You're talking about Chapter
7? Calamity Ganon full form? Because if so, the first part of that fight you actually CAN'T damage him, there's a trigger for a short cutscene where something happens and THEN you all can start wailing on him. He is indeed a huge damage sponge, but fairly easy after that point. I find it helpful to switch constantly between characters once my health gets uncomfortably low lol. I beat him at level 57 I think.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Impa's YYYYY>X combo makes her ride a giant frog.

When she has her shadow clones activated, each one gets their own giant frog

her moveset is perfect

There are other avenues for having Sheikah technology present in movesets.

Both Purah and Robbie are bound to get some Sheikah tech once they become playable.

But neither are ninja.