• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say, your first encounter with Ravili was pretty hype. Cool level. Great ending cutscene.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of the campaign / story mode of the game, are there any other modes that lend itself to a repeatable missions to level up gear and characters? I REALLY enjoyed the Legend Mode in the original Hyrule Warriors (the one with the overworld map) more than the story missions. To me, that was the main game and it's the thing that made the mosou genre click for me as to why they are so addictive and popular.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Outside of the campaign / story mode of the game, are there any other modes that lend itself to a repeatable missions to level up gear and characters? I REALLY enjoyed the Legend Mode in the original Hyrule Warriors (the one with the overworld map) more than the story missions. To me, that was the main game and it's the thing that made the mosou genre click for me as to why they are so addictive and popular.
Side missions are part of the main map but just as addictive as other

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The sheikah slate powers are so good, they fulfill the same function as the items in the original hyrule warriors but are not only unique for every character but also really powerful and fun attacks to use in general, its so much better

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
The soundtrack is absolutely fantastic.

That
first encounter with the bad guy
in the Lost Woods. My my.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Are the maps in this actually from Breath of the Wild because I've played that game for over 160 hours and I'm not recognizing the area from the second story level at all.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would advise people to forget about a performance patch. This most certainly won't happen. I would love one, but let's be honest here, this probably is not a possibility: if they could make the game run better, they would have already done so.
Now, an option to disable some effects on maps would be nice (ie. the rain in Zora's domain), but I don't believe it will happen.
Overall, game is fun, but the performance issues severely dampen one's enjoyement.
Games receive post-launch patches that improve performance all the time. "if they could make the game run better, they would have already done so" ignores a number of possible scenarios. Maybe the team was up against a hard deadline set by the publisher, for example.

That being said, I wouldn't expect one either, as it's also entirely possible you're correct and this is the best they could do (until Switch Pro!).

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Aside from the confusing-ass map on the second level, I'm really enjoying this so far -- still in Chapter Two, done three of the four champions. As a fan of the first Hyrule Warriors, I like that this very much has its own identity and gameplay loop. I'll still return to the OG for it's wonderfully dumb flavor, more musou-facing gameplay, stupid amount of content and old-school Zelda universe flair, but this game is pretty slick. The combat is much better and far more complex, the visuals and music are great and I just love collecting all the baubles, filling up my meters and checking those boxes. It oddly scratches a Breath of the Wild itch, just because I'm out here collecting hot footed frogs and using magnesis again.

Also, people shitting on these Divine Beast stages? Nah, they're good dumb fun. It blows my mind that people still see the word "motion controls" and scream like some Pavlovian bell has rung when we've had good gyro aiming for years.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Are the maps in this actually from Breath of the Wild because I've played that game for over 160 hours and I'm not recognizing the area from the second story level at all.
It's the breach of demise (I have no idea why they went that way on the way to the hateno lab...), but I have no idea if it overlays effectively. It seems a lot more complicated than the BotW breach

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God Urbosa's lightning mechanic is so much fun. I'm also really enjoying Revali far more than I thought I would. Surpriingly the champion I thought I'd enjoy playing the most pre-release (Mipha) is the one I enjoy the least so far. Every moveset is a ton of fun though.

Each stage I've done so far has been. Here's a shot of the Breach of Demise straight outta BotW.

IMG_4173.jpg

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Performance issues aside this is the most fun musou game in a long time.

impa is such a beast.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Too bad it's not canon because Link eating rocks sure is a good character development.

Also: the game runs much better in portable mode...

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain me how the fuck do you do the ice attack with zelda?
The area of effect apears, i press X like the game tells me and does absolutly nothing everytimw i tried, but the game treats it like i used it giving me the cooldown. Wtf

Sep 29, 2019
Just finished the game. God, i got shivers.
The part with Zelda and Terrako is so heart-breaking to me. I am so glad there's an alternative ending in which he gets restored. And hell, do i hope to see him in BoTW. This game is amazing, although not cannon.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone here playing Age of Calamity that didn't play Breath of the Wild? I feel this overworld map would be a cluttered confusing mess with no sense of space if you were unfamiliar with BotW already.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I played this for like 8 hours today. only just started chapter 3.

at first it was confusing chaos and now its confusing rhythmic chaos and I love it.

no opinion on the story yet bc I'm still trying to see where it's going, but the cutscene direction in general is a lot stronger than in BotW in my opinion.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone explain me how the fuck do you do the ice attack with zelda?
The area of effect apears, i press X like the game tells me and does absolutly nothing everytimw i tried, but the game treats it like i used it giving me the cooldown. Wtf
It fires down icicles when you spam the X button. They usually disappear on hitting big enemies

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Missions in HW1 had secrets to unlock, like Skulltulas or weapon upgrades or heart containers. Anything like that in AoC (Korok seeds I guess, though I'm not sure what those are for).

What difficulty are you guys playing on?
I'm going normal now as I learn the characters, and then I'll probably bump it to hard.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Played for an hour, yeah going to be fun.

I can't seem to grasp the heavy characters like Daruk. So damn slow.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
That first level is a rough introduction. Couldn't tell what was going on, but something about it hurt my eyes. Felt like everything was just a bit out of focus and it really threw me off.

The sheikah slate powers are so good, they fulfill the same function as the items in the original hyrule warriors but are not only unique for every character but also really powerful and fun attacks to use in general, its so much better
Yeah, I'm real happy with this. An ability should clear an entire mob of mooks, not slightly inconvenience one.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda is strange, doesnt move similar to any character ive played inb the HW series, Y attacks changing type cofuses me, but sometimes the attacks do something cool and its fun.
Sometimes i create some ice stairs and she goes up and i cant replicate any time i want. Seems is pressing the x in some way at the start, but the majority of the times she creates the smaller ice cubes that surrounds enemies.

Played for an hour, yeah going to be fun.

I can't seem to grasp the heavy characters like Daruk. So damn slow.
Didnt have much fun with Daruk, its slow and seems the majority of moves end in the defense ball, which i dont like (becuase its just similar to its running button), and the magma explosions do barely anything. Even the heavier characters in the original hyrlue warriors were not a slow and felt more powerful.

It fires down icicles when you spam the X button. They usually disappear on hitting big enemies
Yeah, discovered after many attepts that you had to move the circle WHILE you press x a ton of times, thats why it never appeared for me before lol

Anyone here playing Age of Calamity that didn't play Breath of the Wild? I feel this overworld map would be a cluttered confusing mess with no sense of space if you were unfamiliar with BotW already.

It feels clutterted, more corridor heavy and confusing than the original hyrule warriors, something i dont really like, and I played BOTW.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda is strange, doesnt move similar to any character ive played inb the HW series, Y attacks changing type cofuses me, but sometimes the attacks do something cool and its fun.
Sometimes i create some ice stairs and she goes up and i cant replicate any time i want. Seems is pressing the x in some way at the start, but the majority of the times she creates the smaller ice cubes that surrounds enemies.

Didnt have much fun with Daruk, its slow and seems the majority of moves end in the defense ball, which i dont like (becuase its just similar to its running button), and the magma explosions do barely anything. Even the heavier characters in the original hyrlue warriors were not a slow and felt more powerful.

Yeah, discovered after many attepts that you had to move the circle WHILE you press x a ton of times, thats why it never appeared for me before lol

It feels clutterted, more corridor heavy and confusing than the original hyrule warriors, something i dont really like, and I played BOTW.
Zelda and Daruk are among my favorite characters so far.

Zelda uses her runes in a set order. There's no randomness to any of her moves. Remember also that she can detonate all four rune types with ZR, so for example, if you send out the rolling bomb and create ice stairs you can explode them all simultaneously. She is possibly my favorite.

Daruk is awesome. You can dash into a roll with B, then while rolling tap X to jump and slam. His X finishers spawn magma ramps and magma pillars -- the ramps can launch you for aerials, and both can be detonated with ZR.

Definitely experiment with their combos in the Meditative Training facility. Every character is a blast.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Does this one have decent RPG mechanics? Is the sense of growth satisfying?
Yes, you constantly unlock new NPC story prompts on the map asking for materials, and you acquire a Sheikah Sensor early in the game to locate missing materials (with in-game notifications when you find them), and exchanging the materials on the map gives you a written story conclusion to that quest, at which point you gain a heart container for a character, or a new combo move, or a new piece of equipment, or a new service, or access to a new merchant, etc etc. You get a bit of lore with each transaction and grow your characters in the process, and many completed quests open additional quests or side missions.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, hiw does the sheika finder work?
I unlocked it, added it to some of the things i need to search with x, but i dont know how the game tells you were the ugridients are.
Its on the map? On the ground when playing?
Zelda and Daruk are among my favorite characters so far.

Zelda uses her runes in a set order. There's no randomness to any of her moves. Remember also that she can detonate all four rune types with ZR, so for example, if you send out the rolling bomb and create ice stairs you can explode them all simultaneously. She is possibly my favorite.

Daruk is awesome. You can dash into a roll with B, then while rolling tap X to jump and slam. His X finishers spawn magma ramps and magma pillars -- the ramps can launch you for aerials, and both can be detonated with ZR.

Definitely experiment with their combos in the Meditative Training facility. Every character is a blast.
The thing is, while its starnge to control zelda, i cant say the same about Daruk. I actually know hot to do his combos, and how to explode magma. Its just not fun because i dont feel him powerful enough for how much it takes to hit or put down magma stuff.

I did try zelda in the meditate room. The only thing im havig problems now is creating the stairs.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Weapon upgrading is key for keeping your damage output up, but I find you're pretty rupee constrained at start of game if you're trying to keep characters levelled

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, hiw does the sheika finder work?
I unlocked it, added it to some of the things i need to search with x, but i dont know how the game tells you were the ugridients are.
Its on the map? On the ground when playing?

The thing is, while its starnge to control zelda, i cant say the same about Daruk. I actually know hot to do his combos, and how to explode magma. Its just not fun because i dont feel him powerful enough for how much it takes to hit or put down magma stuff.

I did try zelda in the meditate room. The only thing im havig problems now is creating the stairs.
If you need materials for a quest, tap X on that quest's materials to register it with the Sheikak Sensor. Green sonar markings will appear over other places on the map if they have the materials you need. Go to that merchant or play that mission, and when you have the materials a notification will appear in the upper right saying you can now complete the quest you registered.

Oct 27, 2017
I was on the fence to whether to buy it or not but ended up buying it (lol). I'm reeeeally enjoying it so far. I'm new to these "warrior" type games but since it's all BOTW lore, music and scenery, I really am digging it. Also, I love playing as Mypha and am disappointed with Urbosa's character 😔 she was the character I was looking forward to play the most.

Also, Zelda is - unsurprisingly - my least favorite to play as.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
I am having a blast. I find the characters a lot more interesting to play than in the original Hyrule Warriors. A few of the maps could be clearer though.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
wow. I knew I'd love this coming off of a million hours in the original but I did t expect to love it as much as I do. Such a great sequel. Enough still feels familiar but so many great additions and changes.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Hard mode is really starting to be hard, I'm just after the Champion ceremony.
It's those damn big monsters man, they do a lot of damage. And I ran out of rupees leveling everyone to 26 lol
At least Link with the Master Sword feels really broken, especially after getting the powered up X moves.