• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
It's a lot of fun! Same-old mindless Musou fun, but fun nonetheless. REALLY digging Impa's gameplay, and I like how so far the two characters we have play somewhat differently in terms of their unique abilities and the ways they can make combos. Stopped after beating the first mission, but looking forward to tinkering around with whatever else the demo has to offer. Hopefully the additional systems (cooking, leveling up characters and weapons apparently, etc.) will add enough little flavoring to the core game to keep it from being too much mindless Musou gameplay. If not, well, at least I get to watch Link and co. look super badass.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Did the first mission, had a blast! Played on handheld and it does look blurry, but I'll try it on the TV later. The world itself looks beautiful and it was so fun exploring the small section around the castle. When I ran into Lon Lon Ranch I was so excited! Link and Impa are very fun to play, still have to get used to Impa's moveset, didn't quite get how to absorb symbols. Can't wait to play more though!

Some story spoilers...
Time travelling and trying to change the future, huh? This is so overused so I'm not exactly thrilled it's being introduced here, but we'll see what happens!
Thinking about how frequently

time travel

shows up in the Zelda timeline, it's entirely plausible that they always tried to use that to win the war once it was obvious they were losing.

Something like the Time War from Doctor Who, where once the Time Lords started losing they went into their vaults and started trying everything they found there. Something like that wouldn't be out of place here

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
this being Hyrule Warriors and BotW smooshed together is kinda tripping me out lol

The music is great so far. Fits well within BotW, while being a bit more action packed

they totally did this time travel thing so they can end the game with an alternate future where Hyrule is saved, right? So the game can have a "happy" ending that doesn't involve everyone dead

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
This is fantastic. I'm having a blast with the demo. Every character is very unique and the attacks feel super powerful, which is what I want in a musou.

My only issue is the framerate is a bit... wonky sometimes, but it's probably because it's a demo. Hopefully it's less noticeable/frequent in the final build.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Yeah if all or most of what we're imagining turns out to be true, I'll be pretty pissed. If it had just been revealed as a BotW fanservice sequel from the start I wouldn't care, but why lead us to believe it's a canon prequel only to change events for fanservice? They could have made a story between BotW and BotW2 with dimension hopping Champions having to defeat the Yiga and Mystery Sorcerer and been much more straightforward about it. Instead I fear we won't get those moments everyone was excited about: the Champions might live, Link might live, Zelda might not get to fight Ganon... I hope I'm wrong.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
If you look closely, when the little one opens the portal the guardian sends some malice tru' the portal. Later you can see the malice activates a guardian.

This is why the guardians wake up in a corrupted state.

That can actually balance the time travel, as both sides got something to travel back in time

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if all or most of what we're imagining turns out to be true, I'll be pretty pissed. If it had just been revealed as a BotW fanservice sequel from the start I wouldn't care, but why lead us to believe it's a canon prequel only to change events for fanservice? They could have made a story between BotW and BotW2 with dimension hopping Champions having to defeat the Yiga and Mystery Sorcerer and been much more straightforward about it. Instead I fear we won't get those moments everyone was excited about: the Champions might live, Link might live, Zelda might not get to fight Ganon... I hope I'm wrong.
Nah. I still think it's gonna follow everyone dying. Just it's gonna be a bit more convoluted which I didn't want.

in fact. The new time travel stuff actually leads me to believe it's somehow will tie to BOTW2 which I didn't think it would before.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I still think it's gonna follow everyone dying. Just it's gonna be a bit more convoluted which I didn't want.

in fact. The new time travel stuff actually leads me to believe it's somehow will tie to BOTW2 which I didn't think it would before.
They're absolutely not missing a chance to throw in some BotW2 stingers. Even I thought that and I've always thought this game would be extremely faithful

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Who knows. But there's a few different things I've been thinking of:

-- I've suspected for a while AoC's entire framing device may be that it's a flashback being told to Link by Zelda & whatever other survivors are still around after BotW. If that's the case (and it's possible that might not be revealed until the ending cutscene, or something), then there's a chance we're getting Unreliable Narration and the events depicted in AoC will not match up exactly with the actual backstory of BotW.

-- It's been clear that Nintendo/Koei was going to have to do something to explain the use of runes and slate powers in AoC, since that runs directly counter to how they're portrayed in BotW. Time travel, while probably not ideal by any fan's standards, is one easy way to do that. Time travel is a well that both Nintendo and Koei have drawn from many times before, so they're quite used to it as a way to solve their story-related problems.

-- Nintendo likely got cold feet at the idea of the ending not featuring Link. Not only does he not participate in the final battle, he won't even be present for the last several missions. I just don't think, when they sat down to draw up the game, they could stomach the idea of that. We all know how protective they are of Link. The idea of killing him off and having the last several missions not involve him was probably more than they could bear.

-- Since a huge part of the appeal of these warriors games, and Hyrule Warriors as our direct antecedent to AoC, is the vast number of characters, including time travel is an easy way to expand what would otherwise be a fairly limited cast.

We'll see what happens, but these are all things I'm suspecting may have factored into the decision to go the FF7R route (speaking of, I wonder how annoyed Nintendo/Koei might be that Nomura had the same idea and brought it to market first with FF7R. Think of how much more attention this storyline trick would have gotten if we hadn't already seen it earlier this very year!).
I don't really see the problem with it given that time travel in general is a staple of the franchise and used heavily so often that this is just an extension of that.

We haven't seen any data thus far to insinuate that there's going to be "happy" endings for everything but the short answer to that is this is not canon (or is it? Who knows.)

If they change things in the plot to fit this new scenario at least it's established from the first cutscenes what's going on versus FF7R's approach of "Hey here's some spoopy ghosts but also lol here's a bunch of random extra shit."

I think the "tone" of the first scene was such that we'll still have either heavy moments or bad ends for everyone involved, and even if we don't, we know it's not canon due to the way BOTW plays out. If I end up being wrong and they cancel out BOTW then yeah we can talk, but I don't think they're stupid enough to do that.

If anything this will be used to bring in more characters and more things into the game to play with and more spinoff chapters, which I don't see as a problem so long as there's a "true" ending that matches the original intent.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
While I didn't expect the mini guardian to appear the way it did I'm almost certain that the
current time version of it was the thing spying on them from behind the tree, which will be reprogrammed and boxed up after the the time travel version sacrifices itself for Zelda, ensuring a stable loop.
I hope this is the case, would explain why it's in a box in Zelda's room yet nobody has ever seen it before.
There's still some inconsistencies with BotW that really bug me, likr the central tower and him being appointed Zelda's knight in a different way than described in BotW. I really hope that this game isn't too retcon happy or even worse, not the canon prequel we were lead to believe it was.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see the problem with it given that time travel in general is a staple of the franchise and used heavily so often that this is just an extension of that.

We haven't seen any data thus far to insinuate that there's going to be "happy" endings for everything but the short answer to that is this is not canon (or is it? Who knows.)

If they change things in the plot to fit this new scenario at least it's established from the first cutscenes what's going on versus FF7R's approach of "Hey here's some spoopy ghosts but also lol here's a bunch of random extra shit."

I think the "tone" of the first scene was such that we'll still have either heavy moments or bad ends for everyone involved, and even if we don't, we know it's not canon due to the way BOTW plays out. If I end up being wrong and they cancel out BOTW then yeah we can talk, but I don't think they're stupid enough to do that.

If anything this will be used to bring in more characters and more things into the game to play with and more spinoff chapters, which I don't see as a problem so long as there's a "true" ending that matches the original intent.
I don't see how it's not canon when the website for the game says stuff like "this is the only way to experience first hand what happened 100 years ago"

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I don't see how it's not canon when the website for the game says stuff like "this is the only way to experience first hand what happened 100 years ago"
I mean "this is the only way to experience it" still doesn't equate to canon and/or doesn't equate to alternate timeline of events.

We'll just have to see in the main game. Compared to FF7R redoing an entire story I know and character beats and motivations, adding in some runes and towers and slightly altering events (as of now) is far less of a transgression to me, especially in a franchise that uses time as often it does.

Even if this is "canon" it being an alternate timeline by way of time travelling eggbot still leaves them with a completely separate group of events to play with that will be similar to the canon events (hopefully) in the big beats.

I mean we know Akkala at least gets wrecked. Even if there's a "good end" and "true end" to all the missions I'll still enjoy it. Having bad guy missions and alternate "bad guys win" scenarios isn't a deal breaker for me personally.

The attachment to "canon" in a series that constantly stomps on and/or changes its canon was long since lost on me.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
And FF7R was advertised as a remake. I hope Nintendo isn't pulling a fast one on us here, would really make me wish they didn't bother and just made a Hyrule Warriors 2 if they did that.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I mean "this is the only way to experience it" still doesn't equate to canon and/or doesn't equate to alternate timeline of events.

We'll just have to see in the main game. Compared to FF7R redoing an entire story I know and character beats and motivations, adding in some runes and towers and slightly altering events (as of now) is far less of a transgression to me, especially in a franchise that uses time as often it does.

Even if this is "canon" it being an alternate timeline by way of time travelling eggbot still leaves them with a completely separate group of events to play with that will be similar to the canon events (hopefully) in the big beats.

I mean we know Akkala at least gets wrecked. Even if there's a "good end" and "true end" to all the missions I'll still enjoy it. Having bad guy missions and alternate "bad guys win" scenarios isn't a deal breaker for me personally.

The attachment to "canon" in a series that constantly stomps on and/or changes its canon was long since lost on me.
Oh yeah, if there's alternate endings and stuff that's fine. But I want the original story chronicled here at least
And FF7R was advertised as a remake. I hope Nintendo isn't pulling a fast one on us here, would really make me wish they didn't bother and just made a Hyrule Warriors 2 if they did that.
from that first teaser FF7R definitely seemed like it was going to reimagine a lot. The tone of AoC has always been "you know that story in the background of BotW? We're gonna show it to you"

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just jumped into the thread - wait, what?

so this isn't the canon prequel we were expecting? It's some alt reality thing?

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
Just played the first mission. Gameplay was super fun! Especially Impa. Just wish it ran a little better. It's definitely framey. But after a bit my eyes ajdusted so I guess it's alright.

The music in the map menu is so good!!

Also a lil story observation:
was it known that the little guardian was a time traveler? Unsure how I feel about that. I hope this doesn't end up being a side story where the heroes win in the end.

Oct 28, 2019
Has anyone tried to overclock the Switch to see how it runs? Good fucking lord what an atrocious framerate, I still have a launch Switch so this game may finally be the one to get me to look into it.

Oct 30, 2017
I thought this would suck - last mousou I played was ages ago and I didn't like it.
Ended up loving this despite frame rate issues. A large part is the Zelda fan service, but whatever.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Watched some videos and looks great (minus frame rate issues).
Why KOEI is not putting that much care and love into their own series (DW) is beyond me.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just jumped into the thread - wait, what?

so this isn't the canon prequel we were expecting? It's some alt reality thing?
We don't know. There's several ways to pull of a time travel story(one being alt timeline, another is it already happened and the main results cannot be changed). Too little to know for sure

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, I'm super impressed with this game. That opening is unexpected. I can tell they're going to get the tone right with this game.

I'd assumed they would do Hyrule Warriors with a BOTW skin, but it's not.
there's so many little changes and thoughtful pieces that's cearly built from the ground up.
The Koroks, Cooking, Skull Chests, the Shiekah Slate.

I must admit I have no idea how Impa plays or WTF i'm doing, but I'm winning (it's awesome too!).
I suppose that's one complaint. A lot of casual gamers enjoyed BOTW and its chill pace. This game is a bit mad with what it throws at you, hopefully doesn't turn anyone off.
But that's the nature of an action game I suppose, it looks like a lot is going on but you can coast through it with little worry.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
oh HELL yes.
We're getting so much key art of characters that didn't have it in BotW. Only link Zelda kass and the champions did in botw I think

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
Why are people thinking it's non canon? I haven't touched the demo.

If it's not canon I won't be picking it up, as I've had my fill of HW with the first one

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they fix the framerate some this is a no go for me.
Feels awful to play at times.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
I had a lot of fun with this. I'll be picking up the full game. No idea where the story will go.

I am impressed at how differently the characters play. I wonder how many will be in the full game.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Why are people thinking it's non canon? I haven't touched the demo.

If it's not canon I won't be picking it up, as I've had my fill of HW with the first one
time traveling egg guardian that travels from at the peak calamity to pre-calamity. There's nothing to say this is non-canon just makes some believe it won't be

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Glad they did a demo for this. I was a bit unsure if i'd enjoy the first one, and have not played a Dynasty Warriors game since the PS2. Downloading now.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I mean, Ocarina of Time has time travel, it's not like it's something we've never seen in Zelda

devon37

Banned
Jan 3, 2019
Am I the only one not really experiencing a lot of Frame-rate issues? The only time I see noticeable stutter is when a bunch of chests appear at once.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Time travel is part of the Zelda lore, I was surprised that in BotW they werent bringing timeshift stones or anything like that at all, seeing how the sheikah tech was so important