• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
What it's a great game.. Im all for supporting small indie studios
I'm for supporting indies as well but not when the lead director of a game is an alt-right and supporter of gamergate. No thank you. I don't care how good a game turned out to be. The only saving grace with this if the previous statement does nothing for someone is that the money can go to charity hopefully.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cool. That is your perspective. I have a similar "if the project is represented by an asshole, don't give them money" model

But what about the folk who don't support any game made with crunch? You cool with them saying you are enablers of abuse? And god help us if the vegans find you

Its one thing to inform. Its another to attack people for having a different value system than you. Also: Irony!

Ah the good old cultural relativism debate. They're just Germans mate, surely not all of them supported Nazis! They was just following orders they was!

What's with the no avatar brigade also being the ones openly supporting a game heavily influenced by the bigotry of its production lead? It's fine if people want to play it in spite of that. I buy many products that I'm not happy to buy. But I don't sit here and pretend that it's not shit that I do, nor do I ignore the facts that are laid out when they're incredibly open about what they are.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Ah the good old cultural relativism debate. They're just Germans mate, surely not all of them supported Nazis! They was just following orders they was!

What's with the no avatar brigade also being the ones openly supporting a game heavily influenced by the bigotry of its production lead? It's fine if people want to play it in spite of that. I buy many products that I'm not happy to buy. But I don't sit here and pretend that it's not shit that I do, nor do I ignore the facts that are laid out when they're incredibly open about what they are.
Jesus wept dude.

I know you are excited to be Woke and all that. But check yourself. You aren't a freedom fighter. You are a jerk calling people names because they don't draw the line at the exact same place you do.

And you know the really funny thing? I actually DO draw the line at KCD. As I posted, I paused my subscription for the month because I don't even want the key on my account.

But apparently if people aren't as angry as you they are "openly supporting" things you dislike.

Jesus. it is folk like you who give this place a bad name and fuel the "Ugh, fucking SJWs won't accept anything but the destruction of everything" bullshit.

And giving people shit because they can't be bothered to upload an avatar? Is that really all you can think of? You might as well just say "fake news" and move on with your day

Again: if you have a point to make, make it. If all you want to do is be an a-hole to anyone who doesn't follow your specific values and purchasing practices: You're the problem
Because I think you don't want to be part of the problem. So re-assess your behavior and decide how you want to present yourself. As it stands, you aren't doing yourself or the things you support any favors

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, my "wokeness" pissed someone off. What ever will I do with myself?

Must have missed the part where I said it's fine to support things made by shit people. We all do it for various reasons. But it's disingenuous to assert that it's not also shit to make yourself feel better.

At some point wrapping yourself in the defense of cultural relativism blurs the line between absolute morality and non-morality. And using it to defend bigotry, or other evils, is wielding it in a way that allows those systems to continue to exist.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Obnoxious people aside...

So Humble is doing 20% subscriber discount this month instead of 10%. The optimist in me would like to think a lot of people said no to KCD and paused/cancelled subscriptions.
The realist in me acknowledges this is almost assuredly a reaction to the various game passes and likely the responses to their really bad survey last month

Still, I do wonder what will happen to humble. I have a subscription because I usually get 5-30 bucks worth of games I care about per month (and can gift keys to friends). But it is hard to beat something like ms's gamepass where I get a bunch of games "for free" and can justify the better part of a year on one new release from Obsidian or MS.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
There are a lot of excuses for having an alt-right lead. Most of them boil down to "well there are more than just him on the team" well that's cool. They have plenty of people who are more than willing to buy from them and support them. But it won't be me. As to people talking about being "shamed" for enjoying something made by this shitheel, I'm sure it feels just as bad as the constant sexism, racism and homophobia in gaming enabled by people like the lead dev here. Also all the people bringing up crunch and bad contracts for whataboutism aren't really all that slick.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So Humble is doing 20% subscriber discount this month instead of 10%. The optimist in me would like to think a lot of people said no to KCD and paused/cancelled subscriptions.
The realist in me acknowledges this is almost assuredly a reaction to the various game passes and likely the responses to their really bad survey last month
This is actually an experiment, in that they're merging Humble Rewards (the store credit for purchases system) with the Monthly discount. This means the store credit is being replaced by a bigger up-front discount for Monthly subscribers, and it also means you can forgo all the discount and instead contribute 20% of the purchase price to your charity of choice.

This also explains what happens to the developers: they're still getting 75%, as per usual.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I was always interested in Kingdom Come but never really wanted to shell out the cash for it since it looked pretty janky. I think this is a perfect way to get it and try out.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
I paused my subscription to avoid spending anything on Kingdom Come, and I'm annoyed that I'm going to miss out on the rest of the bundle because of it.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like there needs to be a more clear stance on this forum about this "type" content.

Either allow it, and if you allow it, don't let discussion of every thread on the topic devolve into bickering over who's a bigger asshole / bigot.

Or don't allow it. If it is truly supporting views that the forum does not approve of or tolerate, ban it. Because having threads on games turn in to discussions that the people who are playing them are supporters of bigots is just dumb.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I feel like there needs to be a more clear stance on this forum about this "type" content.

Either allow it, and if you allow it, don't let discussion of every thread on the topic devolve into bickering over who's a bigger asshole / bigot.

Or don't allow it. If it is truly supporting views that the forum does not approve of or tolerate, ban it. Because having threads on games turn in to discussions that the people who are playing them are supporters of bigots is just dumb.
But there's nothing wrong with pointing out that Vavra is a dickhead. That being said I never got being accused of anything here, despite stating several times that I own the game. I wonder why? Maybe it's because I don't dismiss concerns regarding the game directors views. Unlike some other users who get defensive because "people can't get along" or "people can't let politics out of my precious game discussions".

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
But there's nothing wrong with pointing out that Vavra is a dickhead. That being said I never got being accused of anything here, despite stating several times that I own the game. I wonder why? Maybe it's because I don't dismiss concerns regarding the game directors views. Unlike some other users who get defensive because "people can't get along" or "people can't let politics out of my precious game discussions".

But if I call you a dickhead because you supported him and bought his game, you're good with that? That's basically what happened earlier in the thread, people coming in to say they can't believe how many people in these forums are supporting bigots - and supporting bigots isn't exactly a redeeming feature is it?