• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you ok with next gen consoles having always-online DRM?

• Hell no!

• Day 1, whatever, I'm always online anyway

Results are only viewable after voting.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Something came up in the latest GB cast that got me thinking about this, they were talking about Blizzard and the old controversy around Diablo 3 for being online only, and how plenty of "triple A" games are online only now and no one bats an eye.

Similarly, people were also not ok with that idea when Xbox tried to pull it at the start of this gen, but that was 6 years ago, plenty happened since then, and a big streaming service is just around the corner, so obviously times changed.

With that in mind, would you now be ok with PS5/XBO2 having always-online DRM sugarcoated with some service as an excuse? Or are you still on the offline boat?

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, wouldn't bother me. Far too much drama is made over always online anyway.
So long as the ability to play games offline if the internet plays up is there it's really a non issue.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Always online and would still be willing to commit but not necessarily in approval of the practice. I'd weigh in with some criticism and be fair minded to folks who have far less tolerance for it.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There is no excuse for a SP game needing you to be online for you to play it

Even if there are shared world elements like Dark Souls, they should be able to be opted out of

I don't care for MP much, and there isn't a good reason to restrict a player from playing a SP game they own if they don't have internet, or if it's 10 years later and the servers are now down

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I literally had internet problems the other day and thought "Thank goodness this isn't a thing!"
Literally.
Always online DRM will always be a dumb thing. Always.
We can ALL be glad MS did a U-Turn because if they didn't.. theres a possibility it would have become a gaming norm and the other two of the big Three would be going down that path now too.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Nah, it won't happen. What will happen is devs and pubs will push more online only games (gaas) instead, as we can already see lately.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The same as my feelings back when the Xbone was revealed. I will not own and buy games on a console that won't let me play them offline or that need me to stay online for some other checks.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
Not for me. But they seem to have the security locked down this gen, I'm not sure "backups" can be played on either the PS4 or X1, so is it really necessary? I'm not super clued up on the ins and outs of "homebrew" thoug

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
My internet rarely goes out. Maybe once or twice a year. So doesn't bother me. Although I don't see why its needed. Would like to convert physical discs into digital licenses though.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I refused to buy Diablo III because of that drm and I would refuse to buy a new console that had it too. Why should consumers cede more control to corporations?

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
There is no excuse for a SP game needing you to be online for you to play it

Even if there are shared world elements like Dark Souls, they should be able to be opted out of

I don't care for MP much, and there isn't a good reason to restrict a player from playing a SP game they own if they don't have internet, or if it's 10 years later and the servers are now down

This. I have nothing to add.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Unless I'm downloading a game or update, or playing online, my consoles are almost always offline. If a console is online only it may as well just be a streaming box

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I mean I am pretty much always online but I still wouldn't like it, it isn't all about me. A massive amount of the world still doesn't have consistent internet

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
It's not 2013 anymore
it's 2019 and my comcast modem regularly drops network/wifi for a half hour every other day for no identifiable reason. "always online" in the literal sense, for every game, is nowhere close to being justified. if a digital license will simply require a check in every week or so but the game can still be played offline, that's a different story. it'd still suck for people deployed on submarines or whatever but that's a big difference from "you can't play shit unless you are currently online"

adinsx

Oct 30, 2017
Freaking no. The problem is not my house internet, that rarely goes off, but the servers where it needs to connect.
Don't want to be unable to play because microsoft/sony servers are down, and give them ability to just disable millions of consoles of playing games?

Hell NO!

Window

Oct 27, 2017
It's about messaging. You'll get a lot of unhappy people if you present the question as in the poll. But package it as GaaS and many people wouldn't care. Sure you can play a barebones version of the game offline but it's not the full experience. I think the principal matters more to people than the practical application of always being online to play a game. I guess it's also about choice. People are willing to accept an always online requirement for a GaaS game but they still have the option to play a single player focused game offline. An always online DRM requirement for all games removes that choice.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I'd feel glad that I had such a large backlog because I wouldn't be buying that shit.

TheForgotten

Oct 27, 2017
It would piss off too many people. They dont need it when so many of the games are always online. As long as I can play my single player games offline I'm going to be fine

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been playing Modern Warfare single player recently and Blizzard were having problems with their servers... This meant that my SINGLE PLAYER game was disconnecting mid mission every 5 minutes with no other option provided other than to close the game and go back to desktop. Fuck this shit completely.

Nov 1, 2017
I would be fine with it, purely because i am used to it. Current generation consoles might as well be considered online only considering how gimped the UI (especially Xbox) is if you stay offline. Also bearing in mind how essential the standard day 1 patches are for most games these days and how often games are updated with new content and DLC, you're absolutely getting a vastly inferior experience if your console is not hooked up to the internet. One of the biggest games in the world right now is Fortnite which you wont be playing offline anytime soon. We've come a long way from people giving Titanfall 1 shit for it's MP focus now that the likes of Overwatch have normalised it.

I highly doubt that the new consoles will be online only though, Microsoft is almost definitely not going to want to risk a repeat of the Xbox One fiasco. But for all intents and purposes they might as well be.

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Dec 6, 2017
Your internet is down for reasons out with your control (DDOS attacks/ISP service disruption etc) and you can't access any of your single player games.

On what fucking planet would that be acceptable to anyone?

Answers on a postcard.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's 1:25am my time as I write this post. My internet will go down within the next 30 minutes. It'll be down for 15 minutes to three hours. How do I know this? Because this is the time of day where Cox always seems to have issues. Cox fucking up shouldn't prevent me from playing games.

And I have pretty damn good internet in Vegas; there's people who don't like in major metro areas like do and have far worse experiences. They shouldn't be blocked from playing games because of shitty internet.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been playing Modern Warfare single player recently and Blizzard were having problems with their servers... This meant that my SINGLE PLAYER game was disconnecting mid mission every 5 minutes with no other option provided other than to close the game and go back to desktop. Fuck this shit completely.

Can you not play the SP offline?

What if you disconnected from the internet and played the SP, would it have still kept kicking you?

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can you not play the SP offline?

What if you disconnected from the internet and played the SP, would it have still kept kicking you?

I'm not sure to be honest but it shouldn't really be an issue in the first place to play a single player game you've paid a substantial amount to play haha. Honestly it was so annoying, it even did it mid cutscene and then when I reloaded the game it had checkpointed past the cutscene and I had to watch it in the cutscenes menu at the splash screen (which thankfully is an option in MW).

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Not for me. I'll be done with console just as I was starting to enjoy them.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Online is supposed to enhance gameplay, lack of one should not limit your ability to play a game totally, nor put limit on the types of game offering.

Last edited:

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not sure to be honest but it shouldn't really be an issue in the first place to play a single player game you've paid a substantial amount to play haha. Honestly it was so annoying, it even did it mid cutscene and then when I reloaded the game it had checkpointed past the cutscene and I had to watch it in the cutscenes menu at the splash screen (which thankfully is an option in MW).

Yeah I agree it shouldn't be an issue, I was just curious as to how it worked

There is no good reason why the game needs a server connection for you to play the SP

On another note, I always find it amusing how people who have a strong connection always seem to have the opinion "I'm always online anyway so it's fine"

It's peak "fuck you, got mine" , as they're happy for other people to be inconvenienced for no good reason just because it won't really impact them at all

digifire

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you buy them over using a service like Stadia in that case? Literally no point especially if streaming manages to mitigate lag.

Nosgoroth

Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Yeah, sure, I want my games to depend on a third party server that may die, be unavailable, or simply be taken offline a few years after release when it's no longer profitable to keep it up.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What I've learned from playing Hitman 2 this year is that an always online game still won't work if the game servers are down. If there's no need for the game to be online to work outside of DRM, then I'm getting a worse experience when their servers are down. My own internet connection is thankfully pretty stable but that's not really the problem here - although it's definitely an additional problem for many people.

Before anyone says it, I know you can play the basic Hitman 2 levels offline but they meat of the game is the challenges and unlocks which are online only.