• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Part 1: Beginning to Leaving Midgar
Part 2: Kalm to Leaving Junon
Part 3: Costa Del Sol to Forgotten Capital
Part 4: Icicle Inn to Diamond Weapon Battle
Part 5: Return to Midgar to End

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Parts 1-3 Disc 1
Parts 4-6 Disc 2
Part 7 Disc 3

Realistically I think it's gonna be three parts with the world traveling significantly reduced as a result

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think it'll be two or maybe three parts. 5 would be ridiculous, unless future releases are budget priced/DLC.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn´t mind 5 parts if they manage to get it annual, but I prefer 3 with two to 3 years per part

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I'd start the second part with Avalanche trying to infiltrate Junon and getting wrapped up in Rufus's inauguration. You can move the Kalm flashbacks so they take place during the trip to Costa del Sol.

Part 3 ought to end with the confrontation at the Northern Crater and Sephiroth acquiring the black materia. That's the natural end of the original game's third act.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever it ends up with I'll be buying the complete package in 7 or so years. I don't want to play this in parts.

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
I'd feel that this game will never be completed and that people would just be better off playing the original.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Don't think it'll be more than 3 parts, remember each part is of the size of a main final fantasy game, according to SE themselves.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would bail immediately and never look back. That would be cartoonishly stupid of them to do.

Don't think it'll be more than 3 parts, remember each part is of the size of a main final fantasy game, according to SE themselves.

They can't split the entire rest of the game into just two more parts. Midgar is just the prologue, they'd have to cut a shitload of content to squeeze 90% of the game out into two pieces.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel irritated that theyre splitting the game up at all so 5 parts would basically mean i wont touch it.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Part 2 is way, way too short. It would consist of one small town, a single flashback sequence, a chocobo ride over a swamp, one cave, and then the events at Junon. That is way less than half the length of Midgar. Most of it other than the flashback could be legitimately skipped over in a single cutscene near the start of Part 2 if the devs wanted.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Do you really think I wantto spend 10 years of my life hearing about FF7 ? I love this game but fuck this noise, we've been hearing about a remake since 2005, I just want to have the game and move on. This shit is ten times worse than Versus XIII at this point

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many disc they need for the final part. Surely they'll allow backtracking to part 1 right?

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Pretty confident it will be 3 parts.

I think Midgar is the main area they wanted to expand and the rest will be a lot more true to the original

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Do you really think I wantto spend 10 years of my life hearing about FF7 ? I love this game but fuck this noise, we've been hearing about a remake since 2005, I just want to have the game and move on. This shit is ten times worse than Versus XIII at this point

Yup. Ten years of "look how pretty we rehashed this thing you've already seen".

The future of Final Fantasy is so miserably uninspired.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty confident it will be 3 parts.

I think Midgar is the main area they wanted to expand and the rest will be a lot more true to the original

But even IF they keep it true to the original, everything after Midgar still makes up 90% of the damn game. Combine that with cutscenes taking significantly longer due to voice acting and the fact these idiots have no idea how to design an RPG overworld and there's absolutely no way they can finish the entire rest of the game in two entries.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Kalm to Junon is extremely short, and it's hard to fathom how they could expand on it like they did with Midgar (which had areas that existed but weren't visited and have now since been expanded upon) so I think the 5 estimate here is a bit out there and unlikely.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Part 2 needs to have the Gold Saucer so you can put all the minigames there. The story can take precedence until that.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I've said for a long time - years - if I were in charge how I'd split it would be:

1. Midgar
  2. Nibelheim Flashback at Kalm to the Northern Crater (first visit, Cloud goes missing)
  3. Search for Cloud to Finale

Yeah but Kalm to Junon has literally nothing happening.

Kalm to Junon has the Nibelheim Flashback, which if expanded to take in ideas from CC and the like could run 3-4 hours on its own. It also has Fort Condor, which could be expanded to be a huge game, a large dungeon, gaining entry to Junon, Yuffie's recruitment (which is sure to turn from a 4-minute conversation into a multi-stand quest) - there's more than it seems. But probably not enough to make a "full size game" even with a lot of padding, imo. The funny thing is Kalm to Junon is probably not much shorter than Midgar in the original game in hour-content terms, but there's not nearly as much depth/content there in terms of how the setting could be explored or expanded when compared to Midgar.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Five is too much. Three is a sweet spot. Two would be better. One would be best.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
But even IF they keep it true to the original, everything after Midgar still makes up 90% of the damn game. Combine that with cutscenes taking significantly longer due to voice acting and the fact these idiots have no idea how to design an RPG overworld and there's absolutely no way they can finish the entire rest of the game in two entries.

I don't think about every thing as negatively as you. I see no reason the rest of the game can't be two parts.

Kalm to Temple of the ancients.

and then to end gane

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I've been assuming it'll be 3 parts. That being said if it did turn out to be 5 I wouldn't care that much, as long as each part was substantial and high quality.
Yup. Ten years of "look how pretty we rehashed this thing you've already seen".

The future of Final Fantasy is so miserably uninspired.
Because of a remake that's making a bunch of new additions and changes?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think about every thing as negatively as you. I see no reason. The rest of the game can't be two parts.

Kalm to Temple of the ancients.

and then to end gane

You're not going to get from Kalm all the way to Aeris dying in one entry. I'm sorry, it's not going to happen.

What the fuck else do they have to show nowadays? If you're not enthusiastic about having a decade of your life wasted on a remake, there's NOTHING to look forward to out of Square.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I've said for a long time - years - if I were in charge how I'd split it would be:

1. Midgar
  2. Nibelheim Flashback at Kalm to the Northern Crater (first visit, Cloud goes missing)
  3. Search for Cloud to Finale

Kalm to Junon has the Nibelheim Flashback, which if expanded to take in ideas from CC and the like could run 3-4 hours on its own. It also has Fort Condor, which could be expanded to be a huge game, a large dungeon, gaining entry to Junon, Yuffie's recruitment (which is sure to turn from a 4-minute conversation into a multi-stand quest) - there's more than it seems. But probably not enough to make a "full size game" even with a lot of padding, imo. The funny thing is Kalm to Junon is probably not much shorter than Midgar in the original game in hour-content terms, but there's not nearly as much depth/content there in terms of how the setting could be explored or expanded when compared to Midgar.
Yeah, this is the strongest suggestion so far.

Nibelheim is tutorial. Northern cave is the final dungeon, just how it was like in the original. Have some sort of Jenova or Sephiroth final boss.

Then part 3 is a Tifa game. Opens with Weapon attacking. The Weapons are the main plot point, with Meteor. You learn more about Holy and what could happen when it meets Meteor.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
In several parts. They can change all they want, it will not be the full story. It will always be full of loose threads that can't be resolved so they will just add a bunch of new ones to make it feel each part is a full game by itself.

Putting new changes doesn't mean it will be better. It only means that they added more stuff, which can range to great to unbelievably bad. Their work on the compilation of FF7 makes me believe that it has a higher chance of being a disaster train than anything else.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it the more I feel like it's going to be more than 3 games.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It could very well be true :P

Why stop at 3 ?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is the only thing that makes sense.

The problem with it is that between Kalm and that first visit to the Northern Crater you have visited every single portion of the world map except the minor side areas only reachable by the Highwind or Gold Chocobo. Most of the second half of the story is revisits of old areas outside of Mideel and the true final dungeon.

They are not going to build the ENTIRE GAME WORLD for the middle entry when they couldn't even manage a tiny sliver of it for part 1. They will probably cut the second chapter off after Nibelheim or Rocket Town.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
The whole reason they decided on multiple parts is because of the work required to remake the game to a modern standard. If Midgar takes up the resources of a single game, there's no way they'll cram three whole continents, with multiple towns and cities - not to mention an amusement park! - into the second one.