• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NewDayMarch

Nov 25, 2017
THey don't have a monopoly. They are however the primary benefactor of nebulous copyight laws that are pushed, bent , and stetched solely to benefit them. It's especially gross because so much of their success is built on them capitalizing on fairy tales and stories that become part of the public consciousness, while sageguarding their own from being used in the same way.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Personally I've felt they were inevitably going to sell a lot of the Fox stuff whenever they hit a rough patch again. Like, a lot of that stuff is really hard to square with their brand, and they're not doing anything with it.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Perhaps, but even outside of children, that would be tremendously hard to measure and I don't even think offhand it's especially true. I mean, we're on a video game forum; how big is Disney in video games? Not massively so, and that's a far larger market than movies. I don't see what's concerning at all, to be honest.
List of assets owned by The Walt Disney Company
Disney is huge, even if you just limit what they own to media and distribution. Even doing napkin math you can get a rough picture of just how big of the pie they are, and I'm sorry, it just feels disingenuous to say "we can't measure the importance of Star Wars, Marvel, and the entire Disney Catalogue." Can you measure it down to a t? No, but then doesn't mean we can't get a decent estimate based on the buzz generated online, the amount of merchandise made/sold, the number of tickets sold, the number of subs, etc. that these properties generate.

I don't get how the size of gaming is germane to this conversation. The existence of a larger market doesn't make the potential domination of a smaller one not an issue. Relatively speaking it's a smaller fish to fry, but that doesn't make the size of Disney is not an issue because...

I still don't see what the big deal is even if they dominated pop media.
..they become the sole mediator of a lot of important culture. Regardless of the esteem that you hold something like Marvel or Star Wars in, they are still tremendously important for a lot of people, and allowing a single entity to control broad stretches of pop culture gives them quite a bit of influence over those people. Disney gets to dictate the terms of engagement, and we know they aren't above some pretty heavy handed mediation of their properties. What happens if Disney decides to vault the Avengers? What if they decide to reboot the Star Wars EU again because new leadership wants a fresh start? For the same reasons that people are leery of consolidation in the games industry, we should be just as cautious around traditional media.

There are legitimate concerns about them being able to pressure theaters, sure. But if we're talking control of media, the control that news organizations like Sinclair or Fox have on the general public is a lot more alarming than anything Disney is doing by having huge kid and nerd IPs.

That doesn't make consolidation in popular not an issue though. You're bringing up a completely unrelated point to the current argument.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Disney is huge, even if you just limit what they own to media and distribution. Even doing napkin math you can get a rough picture of just how big of the pie they are, and I'm sorry, it just feels disingenuous to say "we can't measure the importance of Star Wars, Marvel, and the entire Disney Catalogue." Can you measure it down to a t? No, but then doesn't mean we can get a decent estimate based on the buzz generated online, the amount of merchandise made/sold, the number of tickets sold, the number of subs, etc. that these properties generate.

I don't get how gaming is germane to this conversation. The existence of a larger market doesn't make the potential domination of a smaller one not an issue. Relatively speaking it's a smaller fish to fry, but that doesn't make the size of Disney not an issue because...
It's germane because you're just giving me a list of properties. I can get a list of plenty of companies which have properties. You're suggesting that they have undue influence. It's not as simple to demonstrate that by just saying "they have this much". Ok. How are you measuring influence? Why is "media" only things that Disney does well, and not things they're less active in? It's not needed to have absolutely precise numbers, sure, but you're not doing any comparisons at all when comparison is the entire point.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
..they become the sole mediator of a lot of important culture. Regardless of the esteem that you hold something like Marvel or Star Wars in, they are still tremendously important for a lot of people, and allowing a single entity to control broad stretches of pop culture gives them quite a bit of influence over those people. Disney gets to dictate the terms of engagement, and we know they aren't above some pretty heavy handed mediation of their properties. What happens if Disney decides to vault the Avengers? What if they decide to reboot the Star Wars EU again because new leadership wants a fresh start? For the same reasons that people are leery of consolidation in the games industry, we should be just as cautious around traditional media.

This quite literally doesn't matter in any business or legal sense. It's not in the same galaxy in terms of concern as, say, Disney strong-arming theaters in what is essentially an anti-competitive way.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Instead let's go back to Fox aquistion and have them take Fox news as well, and proceed to destroy it In the eyes of conservatives by exercising the slightest amount of moderation.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
It's german because you're just giving me a list of properties. I can get a list of plenty of companies which have properties. You're suggesting that they have undue influence. It's not as simple to demonstrate that by just saying "they have this much". Ok. How are you measuring influence? It's not needed to have absolutely precise numbers, sure, but you're not doing any comparisons at all when comparison is the entire point.
Sorry, I edited that part. I meant to say I don't see how the size of gaming is germane. I'm suggesting they have a great amount of influence via their ownership of the Disney Catalogue, Marvel, LucasFilm, and 21 Century Fox, the cultural cache they derive from those properties, and the amount of money those properties generate. Their closest competitor would be, what, Paramount? Paramount has its movie arm, CBS, and Viacom's stable of brand(Nick, MTV, BET, Comedy Central probably being the largest). Paramount's IP is not nothing, they own the rights to a lot of classic films, Spongebob, South Park, Star Trek, etc.

My gut would say Disney is the bigger presence of the two in regards to how influential/well regarded their IP, but that's a hunch so let's say they're equal. I would levy much of the same concern I have for Disney at Paramount honestly. Maybe it's marginally better that there's two massive media conglomerates instead of one, but just barely.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry, I edited that part. I meant to say I don't see how the size of gaming is germane. I'm suggesting they have a great amount of influence via their ownership of the Disney Catalogue, Marvel, LucasFilm, and 21 Century Fox, the cultural cache they derive from those properties, and the amount of money those properties generate. Their closest competitor would be, what, Paramount? Paramount has its movie arm, CBS, and Viacom's stable of brand(Nick, MTV, BET, Comedy Central probably being the largest). Paramount's IP is not nothing, they own the rights to a lot of classic films, Spongebob, South Park, Star Trek, etc.

My gut would say Disney is the bigger presence of the two in regards to how influential/well regarded their IP, but that's a hunch so let's say they're equal. I would levy much of the same concern I have for Disney at Paramount honestly. Maybe it's marginally better that there's two massive media conglomerates instead of one, but just barely.
WarnerBros Discovery is significantly more meaningful than Paramount, as is NBC Universal.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

Well, I bring up gaming because you're saying they have undue influence in media. To which I say, ok, why is "media" only areas where Disney does well? Why not look at gaming? Are you saying games don't have impact on culture? It seems very oddly constrained and I don't know why that would be the case.

Similarly, how are we assessing cache at all? Box office? Eyeballs? Markets? Merchandise? Average Q score? I don't see how Disney is so massively ahead of their peers, nor how it's problematic.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Well, I bring up gaming because you're saying they have undue influence in media. To which I say, ok, why is "media" only areas where Disney does well? Why not look at gaming? Are you saying games don't have impact on culture? It seems very oddly constrained and I don't know why that would be the case.
I didn't bring up gaming because this thread was about Disney. Come the fuck on man. This is some strawman bullshit.

Similarly, how are we assessing cache at all? Box office? Eyeballs? Markets? Merchandise? Average Q score? I don't see how Disney is so massively ahead of their peers, nor how it's problematic.
Ok so you're just not even reading posts then. Got it.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't bring up gaming because this thread was about Disney. Come the fuck on man. This is some strawman bullshit.

Ok so you're just not even reading posts then. Got it.
Right, and your posts are about how Disney has undue influence. Why would gaming not be an arena in which they could have undue influence? Why is it that the area wherein we consider improper amounts of cultural sway is somehow limited? If it's not going to include gaming, why is this such a worry when the likes of, say, movies are so much smaller as a market?

So you'd say revenue? Why?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
cuJvuKL.png

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Right, and your posts are about how Disney has undue influence. Why would gaming not be an arena in which they could have undue influence? Why is it that the area wherein we consider improper amounts of cultural sway is somehow limited?

So you'd say revenue? Why?
...Because Disney's gaming presence is practically non-existant. Why would I bring up their ability to wield influence over a sector that they're barely involved in? Do I really need to explain how the money generated by a property can be linked to the popularity and influence of the property? Revenue isn't the only thing I listed as contributing to influence either.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
...Because Disney's gaming presence is practically non-existant. Why would I bring up their ability to wield influence over a sector that they're barely involved in?
Because you're suggesting they have an improper amount of impact on media and culture. Media and culture is more than movies and TV.

Revenue or merchandise or whatever you'd like to look at, you're not making an argument as to why Disney is improperly impactful at all. You haven't actually brought up even vague comparatives of any metric at all beyond "number of properties", much less explained why that metric is important nor how Disney so massively exceeds their peers or how, in doing so, they're doing something wrong.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Because you're suggesting they have an improper amount of impact on media and culture. Media and culture is more than movies and TV.
I am suggesting they have an amount of influence deserving of scrutiny, especially as they grow. I said nothing about it being an 'improper' amount. If they are not involved in a specific kind of media, their cultural impact via that medium is not relevant in their overall output. If it's not relevant, which is to say, their impact in that medium is low to non-existant, then I see no reason to discuss it in this conversation. It's dwarfed by their efforts in movies, TV, comics, and books.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I am suggesting they have an amount of influence deserving of scrutiny, especially as they grow. I said nothing about it being an 'improper' amount. If they are not involved in a specific kind of media, their cultural impact via that medium is not relevant in their overall output. If it's not relevant, which is to say, their impact in that medium is low to non-existant, then I see no reason to discuss it in this conversation. It's dwarfed by their efforts in movies, TV, comics, and books.
Right, but that doesn't mean gaming has no impact on culture. So again, besides the fact that Disney is not very impactful in gaming, why would I not include gaming if I wanted to get a sense of which companies are unduly influencing culture? That Disney is not in gaming is an argument against them being improper in how they affect culture. Why would I only want to look at movies and TV when trying to direct scrutiny based on influence? This is like those arguments people were making fun of up above; yeah, sure, if you arbitrarily slice "media" in a way that just so happens to include the efforts of a large portion of some company, then you can make any entity look bad.

Last edited:

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Right, but that doesn't mean gaming has no impact on culture.
Literally did not say this. Just a straight up strawman argument.

So again, besides the fact that Disney is not very impactful in gaming, why would I not include gaming if I wanted to get a sense of which companies are unduly influencing culture? That Disney is not in gaming is an argument against them being improper in how they affect culture. Why would I only want to look at movies and TV?
Why wouldn't you include it? Because it was never part of this conversation to begin with, and you'd have to argue that the cultural impact(not just financial) of games is dwarfing all other mediums, which is something you have yet to substantiate.

But I'm done. It's clear we don't agree on this and that neither of us is going to be convinced of what the other has to say, so there's no point in continuing this exchange.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Literally did not say this. Just a straight up strawman argument.

Why wouldn't you include it? Because it was never part of this conversation to begin with, and you'd have to argue that the cultural impact(not just financial) of games is dwarfing all other mediums, which is something you have yet to substantiate.

But I'm done. It's clear we don't agree on this and that neither of us is going to be convinced of what the other has to say, so there's no point in continuing this exchange.
It's not a strawman. You said that they have too much influence on culture. You refuse to look at gaming, for reasons I don't know other than Disney doesn't have influence there. Ok, so they don't have too much influence. It *is* part of the conversation, because you said they had an effect on culture. Gaming is included in culture. Your failure is accurately present your side or make an argument besides "No I don't want to talk about that section of media, despite making claims about media, for no reason other than it proves me wrong" is entirely that.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sure, either of those will do, but it doesn't change basic criticism I have. There should be scrutiny for those corporations as well as they continue to grow.
I mean, you said "Maybe it's marginally better that there's two massive media conglomerates instead of one, but just barely."

But there aren't two, or even four or five. There are a lot of massive entertainment companies in the world, and filmed entertainment actually has a ton of decentralization, with lots and lots of independent production companies, distributors, and so on.

I've always been strongly against corporate consolidation, but it's important to have an accurate reading of the situation. Disney isn't a monopoly, or anything close. They are a very large player in a very big and crowded field.

home

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surprised at a lot of the posts here. Sure, Disney may not be as threatening as meta, amazon or Microsoft, but that doesn't mean they aren't harmful overall, ie copyright law as an example.

I think it would be in societies best interest that many of these mega corporations be broken up. It'll never happen though.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Disney is huge, even if you just limit what they own to media and distribution. Even doing napkin math you can get a rough picture of just how big of the pie they are, and I'm sorry, it just feels disingenuous to say "we can't measure the importance of Star Wars, Marvel, and the entire Disney Catalogue." Can you measure it down to a t? No, but then doesn't mean we can't get a decent estimate based on the buzz generated online, the amount of merchandise made/sold, the number of tickets sold, the number of subs, etc. that these properties generate.

I don't get how the size of gaming is germane to this conversation. The existence of a larger market doesn't make the potential domination of a smaller one not an issue. Relatively speaking it's a smaller fish to fry, but that doesn't make the size of Disney is not an issue because...

That doesn't make consolidation in popular not an issue though. You're bringing up a completely unrelated point to the current argument.

If they want to vault the Avengers, they vault the Avengers. What's wrong with that? If they want to reboot Star Wars let them. I love all these things. I love Marvel, I love Star Wars, I love Disney movies. But I can live without them.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing they have a "monopoly" on is Muppets, and even that's a stretch.
Yeah even that doesn't work, that's like saying Disney has a monopoly on Disney. Jim Henson Creatureshop still exists as it's own thing, and makes puppets for all kinds of other movies and TV projects. It's specifically the Muppet characters themselves that Disney owns. Which is why the Elmo cameo/joke from The Muppets had to be scrapped ):

Sep 5, 2021
I don't know why people are arguing with trashbandit. He's obviously not acting in good faith. For example, he ignored this post:

Disney has a lot of different businesses under their conglomerate, so let's break it down by the major ones.

As a technology company, Disney would have to have market domination of streaming and then use that market position to unfairly restrict the operation of other streaming providers. Currently Disney+ is about 4th in popularity, behind Netflix, Amazon, Crunchyroll (surprise by this), though the definition of a streaming provider is imprecise, if we factor in streaming services like YouTube or Twitch, then Disney drops further... YouTube's ~2.5b users dwarfs every other streaming service. Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok have more people watching streams too, so it gets further diluted if you factor those, but most people don't. But, regardless of how you slice it up, Disney does not have a monopoly on streaming. The complaint most people have with streaming is "fragmentation," pretty much the opposite of a monopoly, that there are so many competitors that popular shows are split across too many networks or streaming services and that people don't want to have to pay $9/mo for Disney and $15/mo for Netflix and $6/mo for Hulu, etc just to watch their favorite shows/movies.

As a media production company, there's like 4-5 major competitors (Universal, Paramount, WB, Columbia), though Disney is probably the strongest these days. But being the strongest out of 4 or 5 doesn't make whoever the strongest production company is a monopoly. You can't really have a monopoly in a genre of films, either, so like DIsney might make the most super hero action movies, or in the 80s, Disney might have made the most high quality animated movies, but those are genres of movies, and there's something like 700-800 movies released in North America a year, only a fraction of those are owned by Disney. Of the ~800 movies released in 2019, Disney owned 19 of them, and some were massive. Avengers Endgame was the most popular box office movie in 2019, but for some comparison, as many people watched the Adam Sandler who-dun-it "Murder Mystery" in its opening weekend on Netflix as went to see Avengers: Endgame, about 30-35m people. Murder Mystery has probably had more viewers over the life of both movies, as Netflix' subscriber count dwarfed Disney+ back in 2019, but neither company releases those statistics so it's hard to really know. That isn't to say that Netflix or Adam Sandler has a monopoly on films, but rather, just that there's a lot of competition. If there is a monopoly for Disney, film production is the best argument, but it's a weak one because there are about 4 major film production competitors, and then dozens of smaller production companies. Disney has a lot of influence in film production, though, and if they ever get pinched for anti-competitive behavior, I think it'll be in film.

Theme Park business, this is compelling because there aren't a lot of theme park competitors and none at Disney's scale, but there's also just not a ton of major companies getting into the theme park game because that was tried 20 years ago and most couldn't succeed (Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood ring a bell...). Disney doesn't have a monopoly on theme parks, there's dozens of theme parks operating around Disney world, but in terms of that national scale, there's really only a couple others (Universal, Six Flags, maybe a water park brand like Great Wolf Lodge or something, Sea World, Busch Gardens, etc). Running a theme park is generally not a very profitable business and it's challenging.

Hospitality, running hotels, restaurants, and cruises, vacation rentals, etc, nah, not close, Disney doesn't even crack the top 10. Even just in Orlando, Disney's HQ, Marriott has 115 hotels in the area, and while I can't find the total number of available rooms for Marriott, Hilton, Wyndam, etc, in Orlando alone, I'd imagine they're pretty similar or perhaps even more capacity than Disney.

Disney is in the real estate industry as well, but is a minor player, and I'd imagine they have financial services as well as a major conglomerate, but aren't major.

Disney is a company that has a lot of different businesses. Technology, broadcasting, production, hospitality, entertainment, finance, real estate, a lot more that I'm not aware of I'm sure, but they don't fit the description of a monopoly in basically any of them. The best example of a monopoly in the United States continues to be Microsoft 20+ years ago, that used it's market domination of the home computer business (90%+) to prevent new competitors and new businesses from getting a foothold. It was a pretty clear case, well executed by the government, and Microsoft is a better business now because they got slapped by the feds.

If there's going to be a new monopoly case... I think arguments could be made for Google, Amazon, or Facebook, though none of them would pass muster, I think they could, or even without going monopoly on them, simple small scale anti-trust cases making them uncomfortable, causing Amazon to split off AWS or Google to split off it's ads division. I think both of these things should be done anyway, but I don't have the legal rationale for how they would be done... I think it'd just be good for the internet, good for business, good for everybody if they did split, and really I think it'd be good for Amazon, Google, etc, if they did too. I'd also look out for a company like Uber. They're not close to a monopoly now, but ... an aggressive FTC + FCC in ~5 years could possibly find a case there. Right now there's just no case, but if Uber ever gets to "the super app" phase that many experts think they're going for (transportation, hospitality, finance, food, messaging, social, etc), then they might be one of the most powerful technology companies in the US. It's just not there though, but even in transportation Uber is better positioned than every other company and they've just run a really good business. An argument can really be made, too, that if Uber becomes the sole tech ride hailing app or so dominant that they may as well be the sole one, that it's bad for consumers around price/availability/convenience, and bad for their "contractors" around wages. That argument is already being made but Uber has been skillful at not cashing in on their position yet, so the public still mostly loves Uber (and Uber Eats), so there's not a ton of scrutiny yet.

Disney is nowhere near a Monopoly in cinemas, when it is one of the American movie companies that releases the fewest movies per year! How would it have a monopoly when most of its competitors release more movies?

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Because yeah, Disney's Empire needs to be broken up.

I'd give Star Wars and Lucasfilm back to Lucas and his estate. It's where it belongs.

Most of the Fox acquired properties, I'd give back to Fox.

Marvel I might just have go back to being independent.

They can keep Pixar.
Why does Star Wars and Lucas film belong to Lucas and his estate? They willingly sold it. It doesn't belong to Lucas and co. anymore. I don't get why you would think that

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are arguing with trashbandit. He's obviously not acting in good faith. For example, he ignored this post:

Disney is nowhere near a Monopoly in cinemas, when it is one of the American movie companies that releases the fewest movies per year! How would it have a monopoly when most of its competitors release more movies?
Because they dictate unfair competitive terms to theaters. For example, you have to show a Disney movie for at least 3 weeks. Small theaters are giving up a screen for a long time because they know they won't survive without the revenue from that. How is that a fair dictation to the other studios competing with Disney?

Also lmao at people in this thread accusing OP of parroting Republicans. Just because Disney is in the cross hairs of culture war bullshit doesn't mean that them being as big as they are and the fact that they've basically written copyright law in the US are good things. They're not.

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You need to remove the head from the beast first but most then destroy the heart as well as burn the remains.

Isabella420

Banned
May 9, 2022
Because they dictate unfair competitive terms to theaters. For example, you have to show a Disney movie for at least 3 weeks. Small theaters are giving up a screen for a long time because they know they won't survive without the revenue from that. How is that a fair dictation to the other studios competing with Disney?

Also lmao at people in this thread accusing OP of parroting Republicans. Just because Disney is in the cross hairs of culture war bullshit doesn't mean that them being as big as they are and the fact that they've basically written copyright law in the US are good things. They're not.
To add on to this, Disney is a supporter of the Muslim Genocide down in china, They don't actually give a flying fuck about us queerfolk, they make sure that all LGBTQ+ rep is as obscure as possible on their kids movies, they won't hesitate to censor out promotions, scenes, episodes, or even fucking entire TV shows (like they almost did with planning to abruptly cancel the owl house) for having minority representation that is controversial, because people don't know how to treat people with kindness despite their differences.
Cartoon Network shows have positive crossdressing characters, some of which are kids. If some TV show pulled this on Disney, they would take it down in a hot sec, because they want to appeal to the people that think crossdressing = pedophillia, or some other BS excuse people use to hate others for being different. Hell I still think Disney almost canceled TOH because they saw Raine Whispers, and they were like "Hol up, you can't add a character with a third gender." and they forced Dana Terrace terrace to not address the elephant in the room with why her show was cancelled as exchange to have a couple more episodes aired for the show (Thankfully they decided not to do it, and let her continue with full 2nd and 3rd season). Not to mention that they temporarily banned an episode of Star VS. for a gay kiss scene, they heavily censored Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Durlands romantic relationship, and removed a lesbian couple from Gravity Falls against Alex's wishes.

If you ask me, Clown Mouse Studios are the right wing extremists, that do a really BAD job at pretending to care about us just for a quick buck, and somebody should definitely intercept Disney for the shit i've mentioned, and for the bad deeds I haven't mentioned here.

Last edited: