• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you abbreviate the "Xbox Series X" name

• XBSX

Votes: 34 5.1%
  • XBX

Votes: 17 2.6%
  • XSX

Votes: 539 81.2%
  • Xbox SX

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Not sure just yet

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Something else entirely

Votes: 39 5.9%
  • It doesn't need to have an abbreviation

Votes: 15 2.3%

• Total voters

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
XSX makes the most sense to me. Not as fun to say as Xbone though.

If it was verbal I would likely say Series X or just Xbox.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Something else differently, the fact that we need to discuss so much about it just prove that's a terrible naming for the product. Why can't it be as simple as PS5 ?

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like XSX is the only reasonable answer. I think Microsoft is doing a lot of things right this go around but as usual I think they've really flopped with the name. The 360 is probably in my opinion the only name they've gone with that stuck the landing.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
I would use SX and SS for the Series X and Series S respectively. No need for the Xbox part in my humble opinion.

OP
OP
Fawz

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
The trend seems to be overwhelmingly for XSX, I'll be curious to see if MSFT goes for it officially in their documentation and Devs edge that way over time

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
probably because that's always been dumb and felt forced (to me at least)
And it always felt natural to me, to the point where it was the first thing I thought of after they revealed the Series X name. But after reading XSX on here so much, that abbreviation has kinda become second nature to me.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The trend seems to be overwhelmingly for XSX, I'll be curious to see if MSFT goes for it officially in their documentation and Devs edge that way over time

I mean, they didn't ever use "XO."

This whole naming strategy is built around getting the communicative name of both new machines to just be "Xbox," with a "Series" subtitle added only when clarification is needed. Microsoft was not happy that the communicative name of the Xbox 360 was just "the 360." That's something no brand wants.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
XB4 (Xbox 4)

It's the only way I can keep track that this is a new console and not like a slim redesign of the current gen.

KazeSim

Oct 25, 2017
I just say XB4, Xbox 4 or Xbox. XSX as the initialism doesn't have a nice mouth feel IMO.

Oct 27, 2017
They're making a huge effort on naming their consoles in a more confusing way each gen and Xbox One X was already painful enough, so I won't bother with their "official" abbreviation and I'll call it either the SX or just "the xbox" myself.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
7GBn.gif

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
When it comes to naming conventions and abreviating the Console names the Xbox One ended up going the route of XB1, though the XBone had some traction at first and there was possible alternatives such as Xone & Xbox1. In the end XB1 also worked out better long term by expanding well enough with the subsequent releases with Xbox One S being XB1S and Xbox One X being XB1X. And if you want to count it, amusingly enough the Xbox One S All-Digital ending up as the XB1SAD

But for the Xbox Series X I'm not sure which way it'll end up going and am curious about the popular opinion as I feel like it could go multiple ways since there's various valid arguments and from what I can tell MS hasn't taken a public stance. Priority could be put on fitting the 3 character baseline, accommodating potential subsequent releases or being more careful to not overlap with the Xbox One abbreviations (ie: XBX could be taken to mean the Xbox One X)

8CMFPFHqxpmLQNAERf8CDM-1200-80.jpg

3667447-xboxopt.jpg
I've never actually seen any of the named ones apart from XSX. Even SeX is more common than all the others you mentioned.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
So XSX for Xbox Series X, but what happens when people talk about next-gen Xbox systems in general, including Series S?

XSXS? Or XSX for "xbox S and X"?
The Scarlett Consoles. The Xbox consoles. Next gen (or later, Current gen) xbox consoles. Xboxen.

Honestly, I can't think of many instances where you'll have trouble understanding what people are referring to in context.

Monodrone

Nov 1, 2017
SeX should have been in the poll as it is the best abbreviation.
SeS works really well for the Series S too.